The Galaxy Network

Gubaba

Some of you know about this, some of you don't, but various Macrossworld Members and I have been secretly getting together and working out new versions of various Macross titles.

While I plan to do as much Macross as I can get my hands on, I'm really gritting my teeth and trying to do it all in rough chronological order. Which means SDFM and SDFM only for the next year and a half or so. Yes, I plan to get to the sequels, but it won't be anytime soon, and I'm trying not to even think about them right now, in order to keep focused on the work at hand.

Yesterday (March 13), I uploaded our first real release, after a couple of anniversary projects...Episode One of the 2008 remastered SDFM. I did the easy work (hammering out the script, which mostly entailed checking the Animeigo and ADV scripts against the audio and against each other), and boinger the all the hard work (ripping the DVD, timing and adding the subs). OptimusX and Xeros have been helping with advice and information on both the technical side and the artistic side, and edwin3060 and SkullLeaderVF-X have agreed to help out with seeding the torrents.

The overall idea is to collate everything that adds to the Macross narrative. While the Compendium and M3 are perfect for mecha stats and pics,and while the story of the anime has been hashed and rehashed many, many times in many, many places, there isn't a whole lot of information on many of the other Macross stories, contained in books, drama albums, and comics. My goal is to bring all of those into English, so that you too can learn about the first time Misa met Minmay, or hear about Hikaru's childhood obsession with flying.

Anyway, the website is in my signature, so please check it out. The current schedule is for a new episode every two weeks, with extra releases on special days, like Minmay's birthday or Christmas.

I welcome comments and suggestions, and any questions anyone may have.

And please...wish us luck. This is gonna take a while.

CURRENT PROJECTS:

Video - SDFM (with boinger doing all the hard stuff)

Audio - Distantly Fading Memories

Prose - Dreaming Prelude~My Fair Minmay

Comics: Macross Ace, Issue 001 (with jasonc and VFTF1 doing all the hard stuff, VF-25 Messiah graciously agreeing to check my scripts, and David Hingtgen helping out with terminology and protocol questions.)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Gubaba! I've downloaded both episodes. My question is, why is it at 800mb? Just curious.

You'd have to ask boinger about that; I really don't know. I know he uses Handbrake to rip his DVDs, with most of the settings at the highest possible quality. I ripped a few music videos using his settings, and a four-minute video comes out to roughly 100 to 150 MB.

I think the episodes look absolutely stunning, but I certainly hope I have a lot of people to help out with seeding when it comes time to do batches... :unsure:

You'd have to ask boinger about that; I really don't know. I know he uses Handbrake to rip his DVDs, with most of the settings at the highest possible quality. I ripped a few music videos using his settings, and a four-minute video comes out to roughly 100 to 150 MB.

I think the episodes look absolutely stunning, but I certainly hope I have a lot of people to help out with seeding when it comes time to do batches... :unsure:

They do look at least as good as the remastered fansubs I've got, though those are much smaller memory-wise. The batch torrent of this is going to be huge. Factory satellite huge. Multiple batches perhaps? Thanks for responding.

They do look at least as good as the remastered fansubs I've got, though those are much smaller memory-wise. The batch torrent of this is going to be huge. Factory satellite huge. Multiple batches perhaps? Thanks for responding.

You have fansubs of the remastered SDFM...? Who did them? Where did you find them?

Damn...I thought we were doing something that hadn't been done before... :(

Anyway, yeah...multiple batches, at least at first. And I'm trying to do it logically: Six batches of six episodes each for SDFM; seven batches of seven for M7; and five batches of five for MF.

You have fansubs of the remastered SDFM...? Who did them? Where did you find them?

Damn...I thought we were doing something that hadn't been done before... :(

Anyway, yeah...multiple batches, at least at first. And I'm trying to do it logically: Six batches of six episodes each for SDFM; seven batches of seven for M7; and five batches of five for MF.

The fansub group is [AnimeFiends]

MyAnimeList fansub group page for [AnimeFiends]

Check them out and see for yourself the kind of choices they made re the translations. The encodes I have of theirs are .avi files though.

The fansub group is [AnimeFiends]

MyAnimeList fansub group page for [AnimeFiends]

Check them out and see for yourself the kind of choices they made re the translations. The encodes I have of theirs are .avi files though.

Ah, that.

It's not a fansub, and it's not the newly remastered version. It's just a rip of the AnimEigo DVDs.

*whew* You had me worried there for a moment!

Ah, that.

It's not a fansub, and it's not the newly remastered version. It's just a rip of the AnimEigo DVDs.

*whew* You had me worried there for a moment!

This is a great example of when I'm quite happy to be mistaken. I apologize for worrying you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...