When two different kinds of geekiness collide

ssfsx17

http://sites.google.com/site/ssfsx17srpgre...arsiege-macross

Intended to be as simple and fast-playing as possible, while still showing the relative strengths and weaknesses of various things. If you don't know much about pen & paper games, imagine this as being somewhat like D&D but faster-paced.

I know there are tons of stuff out there based on Fuzion. I do not mean to supplant the various Fuzion-based resources out there in any way, I did this purely for the love of my two kinds of geekiness.

http://sites.google.com/site/ssfsx17srpgre...arsiege-macross

Intended to be as simple and fast-playing as possible, while still showing the relative strengths and weaknesses of various things. If you don't know much about pen & paper games, imagine this as being somewhat like D&D but faster-paced.

I know there are tons of stuff out there based on Fuzion. I do not mean to supplant the various Fuzion-based resources out there in any way, I did this purely for the love of my two kinds of geekiness.

I haven't looked at it yet, but in general Role Playing games need to keep everything relative ans sometimes cover as much material as possible to give GMs a solid guideline. I'm not much of a fan of d20 systems; I like skill based percentile systems better. Mind you I do play d20 games still and I am also working on a Macross fan supplement for Palladiums new 'Robotech' rpg (since the old stuff is no longer compatible). And for that supplement I'm writing a campaign (the one I'm running now) that has to with a civil war on my fan fiction planet 'Gydon'. :) But to stay on the subject role playing games must be balanced, challenging and above all fun. You have to have solid game mechanics (typically called a game engine... odd...) that can be easily adapted to any situation, have enough stuff for characters to be interesting yet simple enough for easy construction (I like the system used for Paranoia B)) ). There also needs to be a solid combat system that can account for EVERYTHING in combat yet be very simple and fast. Of course with Macross gaming there needs to be accurate enough conversion of 'fluff' into 'crunch' (yes those are industry terms). And last but not least precision, everything must be explained well nothing should be left ambiguous. In many ways roleplaying is similar writing and reading laws, minus the legalese of course. :lol: I hope this helps somewhat.

Keep things fun and have fun. And for this forum keep things Macross. I used to develop rules and make official interpretations in the industry :)

You haven't looked at it yet? You're hurting my feelings!

So anyways, when you do get a chance to look over my stuff, understand that the game system basically works like this:

1. You choose three attributes to be "prime," the other three must be left non-prime.

2. Only d20s are used. All attribute checks for "prime" attributes must roll 12 or over. Non-prime rolls must roll 18 or over. Some people houserule this to be 10 for prime, 15 for non-prime, in order to make non-prime rolls a lot easier.

3. Skill bundles are a way of making certain rolls "prime" when they otherwise wouldn't be. For example, if Physique is not one of your chosen prime attributes, but you have the Acrobatics skill bundle, then you will get to make rolls for jumping around, doing backflips, etc. as if they were prime.

4. Within skill bundles, you can put experience towards specific things. While the books that my rules were based on list a number of possible specializations, this is really up to the players and the GM to negotiate.

5. In the particular books that I'm using, there are no attribute scores in the traditional sense. Instead, they are positive or negative numbers whose sole purpose is to be added/subtracted from rolls. There are other SIEGE-based games out there which do have traditional attribute scores.

6. Combat is simply a series of rolls to hit or chase after each other, with the target number (either 12 or 18) being further modified by a simple number named "combat defense." In order to acquire a significant advantage, you will have to be creative.

7. If you don't know what to roll, first see if any attributes or skill bundles could be relevant. If not, the GM should award you for creativity!

Of course, there are many other little details, like technology level, mutations (e.g. making your hair behave like floppy dog ears), cybernetics (e.g. a big optical device bolted on the side of your head), etc., but those are all extremely simplified in the books that my rules are based on. Even though I'm personally a fan of dicepool-based systems (like White Wolf, Shadowrun, The Riddle of Steel, etc.), I opted for the approach of the game moving as fast as possible, with any especially crunchy bits being exceptions (i.e., special keywords that are added onto things, such as "able to do critical hits") rather than having to think about them all the time.

You haven't looked at it yet? You're hurting my feelings!

So anyways, when you do get a chance to look over my stuff, understand that the game system basically works like this:

1. You choose three attributes to be "prime," the other three must be left non-prime.

2. Only d20s are used. All attribute checks for "prime" attributes must roll 12 or over. Non-prime rolls must roll 18 or over. Some people houserule this to be 10 for prime, 15 for non-prime, in order to make non-prime rolls a lot easier.

3. Skill bundles are a way of making certain rolls "prime" when they otherwise wouldn't be. For example, if Physique is not one of your chosen prime attributes, but you have the Acrobatics skill bundle, then you will get to make rolls for jumping around, doing backflips, etc. as if they were prime.

4. Within skill bundles, you can put experience towards specific things. While the books that my rules were based on list a number of possible specializations, this is really up to the players and the GM to negotiate.

5. In the particular books that I'm using, there are no attribute scores in the traditional sense. Instead, they are positive or negative numbers whose sole purpose is to be added/subtracted from rolls. There are other SIEGE-based games out there which do have traditional attribute scores.

6. Combat is simply a series of rolls to hit or chase after each other, with the target number (either 12 or 18) being further modified by a simple number named "combat defense." In order to acquire a significant advantage, you will have to be creative.

7. If you don't know what to roll, first see if any attributes or skill bundles could be relevant. If not, the GM should award you for creativity!

Of course, there are many other little details, like technology level, mutations (e.g. making your hair behave like floppy dog ears), cybernetics (e.g. a big optical device bolted on the side of your head), etc., but those are all extremely simplified in the books that my rules are based on. Even though I'm personally a fan of dicepool-based systems (like White Wolf, Shadowrun, The Riddle of Steel, etc.), I opted for the approach of the game moving as fast as possible, with any especially crunchy bits being exceptions (i.e., special keywords that are added onto things, such as "able to do critical hits") rather than having to think about them all the time.

Hmmmn... I like it so far... Sorry for being late checking it out. I'll have to play test it sometime and tell you how it goes ^_^