Sailor Moon "Live-Action" Series..

robokochan

My wife thinks it's funny, I think it is a tragedy. sad.gif Any advice?

Laugh with your wife and relax.

How many of us here are grown men who have dolls? I've got Lyn Minmey, Tosaka Rhin, Yotsuba, Rei Ayanami, Asuka Langley, Yoko Ritner...just to name a couple.

In the future, I am planning on expanding my collection to My Little Poney.

This doesn't mean I'm any less manly. In fact - look at the majority of anime - there's always mecha, warfare, fahion and gossip - a mix of manly and feminine.

Ignore the clap-trap about definitions of sex, sexuality and sex roles.

Children and curious little things who have yet to develop analytical faculties that would even come close to understanding complex issues of gender, gender roles and the like.

It's kind of like children and religion. To truly understand religion, you need excellent math skills. The vast majority of serious theologians, priests, saints and what not were highly educated and mathemtatics, as an intricate understanding of abstractions, was one of the most important instruments with which they attempted to better understand their religious faiths.

Some people seem to believe, however, that little kids who can hardly add and substract are supposed to REALLY have an understanding of God and the Universe. In fact - the best they can do is repeat what someone else tells them to say, and go through motions and maybe have a blurry image of a deity that they quickly conclude is ridiculous.

It's the same with gender roles and sexuality. Children can't understand this stuff and won't for a long time - just because you do, and you stress abotu it - doesn't mean your kid needs to.

Think of it this way:

If your kid wanted to dress up as Batman or Spiderman - would you be fearful that they were gay for wanting to parade around in a skin-tight outfit? Because Batman is camp?

The fact, of course, is that the majority of superheroes have skin tight outfits because those outfits were developed out of artistic necessity - comes had to be drawn quickly and the outfits couldn't be too complex. Marvel especially focused on making them skin tight so that the artist need only basically pencil human anatomy and then make cosmetic additions to it to make it look like an "outfit" rather than spending huge amounts of time on more detailed costumes.

It might just be that your kid says "daddy get me X" without really wanting it but rather on the basis of the commercial. Tomorrow they'll be advertising something else and he'll want that too.

If he's really fixated on sailor moon - maybe you can get your wife to dress up as sailor moon to show him that the outfit is made for girls.

But I'd still get him the dolls if he wants them. Nothing wrong about a kid playing with dolls :)

In any event - don't worry.

And yay Sailor Moon!

Pete

EDIT: Pete just notices now that the question was asked 6 years ago. Oh well...

Edited by VFTF1

God, talk about dragging a thread out of obscurity...

If any are interested, the actress who played Sailor Mercury, Chisaki Hama (real name: Rika Izumi) has returned to the entertainment world after all but disappearing in 2005. She's returning as a model, actress, and singer (predictable)...

With the recent boom of live-actions. Don't know why there isn't any Sailor Moon live-action hollywood movie, too silly even for hollywood???

Yeah i know the lastest post is from 2003.

Not really because it was a 6 years old thread, it's the "out of the blue" post. No offense. :lol:

Maybe I should find a old Saint seiya thread and ask for Hollywood remake. :ph34r:

Wow. I had forgotten all about this......

Sum up the story. He grew out of it.

Now I have a daughter...and all she wants is boy things.....

I just have all the luck.....

So she likes Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Super Robot stuffs?

Dude, you have an awesome daughter! And no, I am not joking.

With the recent boom of live-actions. Don't know why there isn't any Sailor Moon live-action hollywood movie, too silly even for hollywood???

Yeah i know the lastest post is from 2003.

how about we just count ourselves lucky that no one's tired... yet.

as for what to do if you find your 4 year old male child interested in sailor moon; I'd recommend sitting him down and making him watch all 5 Shogun Assassin movies in one sitting. if you don't your child is going to end up being a cross dressing sexual deviant. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8