♥MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) combat

NOTICE TO MODS:

This topic is no more "off topic" than wrestling, which has a thread (and has for years). Closing this thread would be hypocritical.

So guys, what do you watch, just the big events, or all coverage? Anyone follow PRIDE? Who are your favorite fighters and why? What weight classes matter most to you?

Now why would I do that? It's real.

I watch what I can see.

Pride: Fedor Emelianenko - tenacious. Bob Sapp - have you seen the size of his arms??? Damn!!!

UFC: GSP - AFAIC one of the best if not the best pound for pound fighter, Ben Stiller(Kenny Florian) he's just fun to watch. Forest Griffin - always grinnin'. Randy Couture - what a work ethic. I'd be very interested in a Anderson Silve vs GSP match but it's going to be a disadvantage for whoever has to gain or lose weight.

Art of War: Bao Le Gao - he fights.

EliteXC: Gina Carano. :wub:

I liked CroCop but he just went down during his UFC debut...and his entrance them was "Wild Boys"?

Who I want to see lose? Brock Lesnar. He's got nothing except size, the spear and the hammer fist. Granted he is a big mother and he used it to his advantage but if Captain America was actually bigger, he definitely looked much smaller then when he fought Tim Syvia, I don't think he would've won. IE I don't think Randy was ready no matter what he said during the post match interview. Therefore I'm rooting for Mir in their rematch. Mir's boxing was phenomenally during his match versus Nogueira. Clean hits all throughout the match. Awesome.

UFC- Rampage Jackson gave one of the best knock outs I have ever seen. Chuck Liddell your still the man.

Elite XC- I was cought up in the Kimbo saga. Some dude named Night Train showed that you don't need special training to rock another dudes dome :o

Edited by SilentCrossHairs

I watch mostly the big events. There are too many, too often to watch them all. But I do catch quite a bit because of the business I'm in - which is MMA-related.

I like the lighter weight classes BY FAR! I don't have a fav fighter per se, just ones that display a lot of skill: The obvious ones like BJ, GSP, Ken Flo, Sherk, Anderson Silva, Shinya Aoki, etc. I probably like a lot of fighters that aren't as popular yet like Demian Maia, or half of the lightweights who are all pretty good skillwise.

I will watch heavier weight classes for interest only, but pretty much hate the level of skill displayed by most of them. Although they may be strong or whatever, they mostly look like white belts. Quite terrible.

Edited by kuzushi

UFC- Rampage Jackson gave one of the best knock outs I have ever seen.

The powerbomb when he was caught in a triangle? I liked it, I thought it was a simple demonstration of what happens when you keep your triangle on when you are lifted to above standing height.

:( Thought this thread was going to be about practicing MMA, not watching TV shows about it.

Graham

Either or.. There is a "practice of Martial Arts" thread though.

Kimbo Slice is a chump. He just looks tough. He is in a hack league and his opponents are hand picked losers. Whenever he is up against a ranked fighter he gets his ass kicked.

Here is a current ranking list of the top 100 Heavyweight fighters:

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/heavyweight-265-lbs/

Kimbo isn't even in the top 100.

UFC light-heavyweight champion Rashad Evans said Monday it appears that Lyoto Machida will be the one standing across from him at UFC 98 in Las Vegas on May 23.

"As I learned, 'Rampage' might need time off," Evans said on Sherdog's "Beatdown" radio show. "It'll probably be Lyoto Machida, but I haven't gotten a confirmation on that."

Coming into this past Saturday Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Machida were both in the running for the title shot and Evans' opponent at UFC 98 would be determined by the result of Jackson vs. Keith Jardine.

Jackson won the unanimous decision over Evans' teammate, but was expecting the title bout to happen at UFC 100 on July 11. Due to Frank Mir's injury, the UFC decided to push Evans' title defense earlier and move Brock Lesnar vs. Mir 2 to the summer, most likely at UFC 100.

"Damn," Jackson said at the post-fight conference, according to Yahoo! Sports. "I'll do anything for [uFC president] Dana [White]. I had plans to go on a vacation and find an Asian girl and fly first class, stay in a hut and tell her how I was going to win the light-heavyweight title. Now it looks like I have to get my ass back to England to train in two weeks."

A fight for Jackson in May would be his third in five months.

The UFC built the entire UFC 96 pay-per-view telecast around the assumption that a Jackson victory would make official Evans vs. Jackson at UFC 98, but afterwards, UFC president Dana White acknowledged the possibility the fight may not happen.

"We still have to make sure Quinton is 100 percent," White said. "It's not a done deal. Quinton has to go get something checked out, make sure he's 100 percent healthy. If he is, that'll be the fight. If not, it'll be Lyoto Machida."

I really wanted Rampage to have a shot at the title. Especially after seeing him beat up on Jardine this past weekend.

love MMA... have been watching since UFC 1... did local Muay Thai/kickboxing when i was in college w/ my buddies... i remember "sharpening" our shins by kicking coconut tree trunks and doing shin-to-shin exercises... wish i was young again, lol ^_^

the trash talking between Rampage and Rashad was really hilarious! :lol:

Kimbo Slice is a chump. He just looks tough. He is in a hack league and his opponents are hand picked losers. Whenever he is up against a ranked fighter he gets his ass kicked.

Here is a current ranking list of the top 100 Heavyweight fighters:

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/heavyweight-265-lbs/

Kimbo isn't even in the top 100.

Kimbo does still make a terrifying sight. And for all those backyard brawls that he's been in, I don't think that he really has the heart to fight in MMA at all.

I remember one of his losses, he couldn't care much in talking to the press afterwards, as you would if you lost, but all he mumbled was something about "going home to see the kids." I think it's just him being used as a circus freak to be honest, its just the money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Did anyone see Lyoto Machida beat the crap out of Rashad Evans last month? Best two rounds I've seen on UFC.

Saw it... Awesome. I wanted Rashad to win but Machida did great.

I don't follow the tournaments or organizations, I usually just watch for particular fighters. I watch everything I can with Fedor Emelianenko. The guy is simply amazing. Watching Fedor fight is like watching Muhammad Ali or Bruce Lee in action; pure art. I love Fedor's determination and concentration and I especially enjoy his dynamic fighting technique. The guy can come up with virtually any strike or maneuver on any day with no pattern to it except the flow of the fight. It's always fun to see what Fedor will come up with when in the heat of battle. Ironically, the first Fedor fight I ever watched was against Fujita, which Fedor nearly lost :)

I tend to think less of UFC matches, mostly because the way it's presented. The fighting rules are too regimented, the style of the coverage is too gaudy and I find the fighting less engaging. I'd rather the rules run more loosely, like the now defunct Pride.

NOTICE TO MODS:

This topic is no more "off topic" than wrestling, which has a thread (and has for years). Closing this thread would be hypocritical.

So guys, what do you watch, just the big events, or all coverage? Anyone follow PRIDE? Who are your favorite fighters and why? What weight classes matter most to you?

As realistic as it is (UFC), the wrestling part of it bores the sh^t out of me. lol The quicker someone gets their opponent in a hold and end it the better (cheap crap way to win),

nothing f'n worse than seeing guys wrestle 95% of the bout. It's my opinion of course, i really do appreciate the technique of floor grapple an it's where most battles end up,

on the ground while his mates kick the crap out of you, but it's so fu5king boring. Cage fighting is great, but as long as the fighters aim for grappling as a last resort.

>.< Give me Muay Thai and upright grappling, now that's FUN. I know i know, stick to Muay Thai, and i will. :lol:

I do enjoy the elbows in the ground grapple though. :D Drop em down!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

<b>NOTICE TO MODS:

This topic is no more "off topic" than wrestling, which has a thread (and has for years). Closing this thread would be hypocritical. </b>

True, but wrestling is scripted to follow storylines, giving it a sense of fiction. MMA is just pure asskicking.

So does this mean I can finally start a Curling appreciation thread!?!

^_^

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd review this movie here, since it's mainly about MMA.

neverbackdown.jpg

Never Back Down

Mandalay Pictures/Summit Entertainment, 2008

Directed by Jeff Wadlow (Cry_Wolf)

Running Time: 114 minutes

Not Rated (originally rated PG-13). Contains martial arts violence, T&A and HLA.

Cast

Sean Faris (Kyo Kusanagi in The King of Fighters) as Jake Tyler

Amber Heard (Angie in Pineapple Express, 406 in Zombieland) as Baja Miller

Cam Gigandet (James in Twilight) as Ryan McCarthy

Evan Peters (Todd in Kick-Ass 1-2) as Max Cooperman

Djimon Hounsou (Juba in Gladiator) as Jean Roqua

Leslie Hope (Teri Bauer in 24) as Margot Tyler

Wyatt Smith as Charlie Tyler

Synopsis

Jake Tyler and his family move from Iowa to a posh neighborhood in Orlando, Florida, to start a new life. However, he has a habit of getting into fights, and it doesn't take too long before the entire campus receives wind of a video of a brawl involving him at his last school. One night, he is invited in a party, in which he is challenged by Ryan McCarthy, a local rich kid who uses his MMA skills to bloody up Jake to the ground. Seeking retribution, Jake enrolls in a MMA school run by Jean Roqua, a Brazilian of Senegalese descent. Under the wing of Roqua, Jake trains vigorously to improve his fighting abilities in hopes of squaring off with Ryan again; but he gets kicked out of the dojo for fighting in public - a violation of one of Roqua's main principles. With an underground MMA event coming up, Jake must do what it takes to regain Roqua's respect and prove himself as a fighter.

Lowdown

Over the weekend, my brother couldn't stop talking about this movie. Why, I had no idea. So when he finally got himself a DVD copy of the film, I kinda see why.

Never Back Down is simply a loose remake of The Karate Kid (at least it doesn't shamelessly copy it like this year's remake starring Jaden Smith), only with MMA and a Tom Cruise lookalike (I kid you not - if Tom Cruise actually cloned himself, it would most likely be Sean Faris). The acting is, well, what you would expect from an episode of The O.C.: cheesy, spoiled teeny-boppers on screen. The only one actually doing a good job acting is Djimon Hounsou. We all knew he was tough in Gladiator, but it's amazing how much he trained just for this film. For a moment, I was almost convinced he was a legitimate MMA fighter.

But how are the fights? Sadly, MMA does not translate well on the big screen, and it shows heavily in this film. Having to choreograph such moves is plain silly. And for some reason, I keep getting flashbacks of Kickboxer mixed with Best of the Best - and that's actually a bad thing. Making matters worse is that there aren't any legitimate MMA fighters in this movie at all!

Overall, this film is a rental at most. If you want a better MMA movie, go watch Blood and Bone, starring Black Dynamite himself. At least that has real MMA fighters.

And to think that some Tom Cruise clone is playing Kyo Kusanagi in the upcoming King of Fighters movie...

Rating: C-

Links

Official Site

References

The Internet Movie Database

But how are the fights? Sadly, MMA does not translate well on the big screen, and it shows heavily in this film. Having to choreograph such moves is plain silly. And for some reason, I keep getting flashbacks of Kickboxer mixed with Best of the Best - and that's actually a bad thing. Making matters worse is that there aren't any legitimate MMA fighters in this movie at all!

The only good MMA I have ever seen in a movie was Kill Zone, though the MMA was used as a style of street fighting, rather than treated as a sport:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478024/

Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung have this awesome and brutal fight scene at the end which is one of the best martial arts fights ever in a movie.

• 2 weeks later...

The only good MMA I have ever seen in a movie was Kill Zone, though the MMA was used as a style of street fighting, rather than treated as a sport:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478024/

I think Flash point would be a better example.

Someone said a mma fighter could beat a person who practices wing chun. I'll have to disagree.

And never back down was crap.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

I think Flash point would be a better example.

Someone said a mma fighter could beat a person who practices wing chun. I'll have to disagree.

Then why aren't MMA fighters flocking to Wing Chun?

Yeah, Biu Jee isn't exactly legal in most MMA fights. :p

Seriously, how many truly capable _ing _un fighters do you know? Ones that train constantly and are in amazing shape. Ones that can apply their stuff under pressure and against a variety of opponents. Think of one off the top of your head (other than Bruce Lee). I'm not putting down _ing _un, or insisting these fighters don't exist; these WC/VT/WT/VC martial artists are just too few and far between to even say. Going down that road though, it would probably devolve into "my style is better than your style" anyway.

Wait, now that I think about it, Bruce Lee did win a Boxing competition using Wing Chun. Does that count? :p

Really? I'm surprised people still believe things like this.

Professional fighting with limited or no rules have consistently shown that a mix of BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Wrestling is what is effective and successful in 1-on-1 combat. Very few guys claim any other art, and if they do, if you look at what they do, it still looks like BJJ/Muay Thai/Boxing/Wrestling.

Yes, UFC is a sport now, but starting in 1993 until around 1998 or so, there were almost no rules. UFC 1, for example, you could poke the eyes, kick the groin, elbow the skull, whatever. Bite even. There were literally no rules in the early days, specifically so people couldn't complain that "oh, my best eye poke/groin grab/biting technique is illegal, I would enter, but I'm too deadly for the UFC"

Doesn't fit their style of fighting.

What you are saying makes no sense.. First you say anyone that knows Wing Chun they would wipe the floor with an MMA guy. So then I say, well why don't MMA guys pick it up then... Then you say, it doesn't fit their "style"

Its called MIXED Martial Arts.. There is no "style"

If Wing Chun was worth it, MMArtists would use it.

Bruce Lee has ZERO place in an MMA discussion. The lowest MMA weight class is ~ 50 lbs heavier than Lee. The guy was the size of a girl.. Thats why he was so fast. Weight classes exist for a reason.