♥MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) combat

Bruce Lee has ZERO place in an MMA discussion. The lowest MMA weight class is ~ 50 lbs heavier than Lee. The guy was the size of a girl.. Thats why he was so fast. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Well in America, yes, because our women weigh like a fking ton.

Edit: Actually, the average weight of US women is about 160 lb, so he weighs less than "a girl." :D

Edited by Ghost Train

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

NeverBackDown2.jpg
Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown
Stage 6 Films/Mandalay Pictures/Sony Pictures Entertainment, 2011
Directed by Michael Jai White (Black Dynamite, Spawn)
Running Time: 103 minutes
Not Rated. Contains graphic martial arts violence, nudity, sexual situations and profanity.

Cast
Michael Jai White (Blood and Bone, Jax in Mortal Kombat: Rebirth) as Case Walker
Dean Geyer (former Australian Idol finalist) as Mike Stokes
Alex Meraz (Paul in The Twilight Saga) as Zack Gomes
Todd Duffee (ex-UFC fighter) as Tim Newhouse
Scottie Epstein (another MMA fighter) as Justin Epstein
Evan Peters (Todd in Kick-Ass) as Max Cooperman (reprising his role from Never Back Down 1)
Jillian Murray (Liara in Mass Effect 2) as Eve
Laura Cayouette as Vale
Lyoto Machida (former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion) as himself
"Big" John McCarthy (UFC head referee) as himself

Synopsis
Four troubled youths - Mike, a college wrestler who resents his father for leaving his mother; Zack, a former boxer who is forced to retire after sustaining a torn retina; Tim, an MMA fighter struggling to help his mother make ends meet; and Justin, a comic book store clerk who is frequently bullied - undergo training from former MMA star Case Walker, with three of them aiming to participate in an upcoming underground fighting event called "The Beatdown". However, the event is jeopardized when one of them sets up Case, who is on parole after having spent time in jail.

Lowdown
Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown marks Michael Jai White's directorial debut, and it completely makes the first film tap out. Why? Because unlike the first film, this one has more emphasis on MMA and features actual MMA fighters. I've said before on my previous review of Never Back Down that choreographing mixed martial arts fights is silly and just takes away the realism, but here, the fights are actually well-rehearsed with proper camera angles to show how to apply and reverse holds. The film also shows how various arts such as jiu-jitsu and capoeira blend with MMA. White's fight scenes are also superbly shot, despite being pretty minimal.

In a nutshell, Never Back Down 2 is a good rental for those who want a decent MMA film. Just don't mind the generic main characters and watch the fights.

Rating: B-

References
The Internet Movie Database Edited by areaseven

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lol. I never thought this would be discussed here. I've been following MMA for about 8 years and I have to say...

Rousey only looked impressive because she was fighting smaller women who only had 5-6 professional fights. She was massively over hyped. The UFC went with it because most of their major stars were defeated and they will ride out any success they can.

Holm was a boxing champion before she transitioned to MMA and was physically stronger than Rousey. She was lighting her up on the feet with her foot movement and jab. You could see the Panic in Rousey when she tried for a takedown and it didn't work.

My only regret is not putting money on Holm. I haven't been following the fight schedule like I should be. haha

MMA fans are still reeling over Ronda Rousey's humiliating loss to Holly Holm last Saturday.

The fans are dumb. Anyone who actually paid attention to Rousey's previous wins should have seen her defeat manifesting itself in just a matter of time. All that was needed was Rousey's supreme arrogance and an opponent that knew how to keep her off balance... Edited by myk

I've had some boxing lessons, but I never committed to any classes. A lot of them are 100 bucks a month for some of the gyms around here.

Krav Maga is pretty popular but I kind of wanted to learn some proper kick boxing.

Took 2 years of kenjutsu, in the Itto-Ryu form. Lots of fun, lots of sweat. I moved away and haven't found a new dojo, but I still practice what I did learn.

I'm a Brown Belt in Kajukenbo (Emperado Method), a Second level Black Shirt in Eskrima, I've taken a year of Push Hands, I've had so many different styles of Kung-Fu classes and Wushu, Kickboxing, Capoeira (I suck at it, I don't put my butt over my head) and I've sparred with Layla McCarter before (I dance Argentine Tango with her Mom.)

2nd degree black belt in ITF Tae Kwon Do, purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and 1-0 in amateur MMA (one and done, I was already in my 30's). These days I focus on the BJJ and grappling, and train/teach at an MMA gym. Waiting for my son to turn 4 so I can get him into the early kids classes. :)