Okay finally got time to check out the Metal Build Gundam Exia Repair I.

It's fantastic and highly detailed. Excellent tampo markings and great battle damage and dirt added to the paint. The tampo has been printed on in such a way so it looks like they're been scratched from damage incurred during combat. The cape for the missing left arm is great. It comes in 2 parts so you can really splay it out to get a really dynamic flowing action pose. Just like the previous Exia release, the articulation is also fantastic. The metal inner frame and joints make it super solid. Only 1 loose joint on mine - On the right knee, but it's still tight enough to stay in a great pose.

There is 1 problem with this release which I did not realise... and it's related to the misleading advertising. Make no mistake, first and foremost this release is just Exia Repair I. You cannot convert it to regular Exia or any of the other variants without having already bought the previous MB Exia/Repair III release.

It does how ever come with some accessories that allow you to convert the previous MB Exia release to the Exia Repair II, so they're banking on buyers to have already bought that release too. So don't get this if you want MB Exia Repair II, but don't have or not planning to buy the previous MB Exia release.
The last photo shows all the accessories included, and it's pretty sparse, which is why the RRP is much less than the previous MB Exia release. I think Bandai should have added the correctly coloured and labelled Repair II rear skirt armour, but they expect you to use the Repair III skirt armour, with the blue tips, so it's not accurate. A bit disappointing.

Something weird also. Additional shin armour is included, but when I compared it to my previous MB Exia release, it is EXACTLY the same. I'm not sure why they bothered to included it if Exia Repair II has the same shin armour as original Exia. Waste of plastic...

One other down side was the GN drive in overdrive mode in my set is slightly misaligned - as if it hasn't been extended fully on 1 side. Not a big deal for me, since I don't plan on displaying my Exia in Repair II variant.

Besides those discrepancies the MB Gundam Exia Repair I is a great release, and I look forward to 1 more MB Gundam Exia release: Trans Am mode version! Then my collection of MB Exias will be complete. :D

post-7871-0-64572600-1380451637_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-67732200-1380451641_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-23994300-1380451645_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-78723800-1380451649_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-48366700-1380451654_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-09490200-1380451659_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-27527600-1380451664_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-65708900-1380451668_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-12704900-1380451672_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-31451800-1380451676_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-73497000-1380451712_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-87155800-1380451716_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-36447900-1380451721_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-16780600-1380451725_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-78794600-1380451728_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-62339300-1380451732_thumb.jpgpost-7871-0-99931200-1380451736_thumb.jpg

I think I got the white balance completely off on these photos. :p

Definitely something to drop if you're not a big fan of Exia RE I. Even more reason if you're saving up for MB Destiny. :)

A friend suggested getting the MG Destiny wings of light and adding them to the MB Destiny for the ultimate pose. He said you can probably buy them from spare parts dealers so you wouldn't need to buy a whole MG kit just for the wings of light. :p

Next big toy purchase for me will be Arcadia YF-19 now. Unless Bandai suddenly announces a MB AILE Strike or Strike Freedom soon. After seeing the aggressive design Bandai did for Destiny, it'll be exciting to see what they do for Strike Freedom.

I'm still a little on the fence about MB Destiny, and the only other SEED mech I'd get excited for besides Destiny would be a MB Justice. <3 Athrun :wub:

Anyways, even though I do like Exia R1, I've got too many Figuarts and naked anime figures to buy which take precedence.

Edited by anime52k8

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember this? I actually think I signed up for macrossworld to ask someone a question about this particular figure, from way back when: The 1/35 GFFMC Gundam. Most of us thought the project was canned. Looks like we were wrong:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2013/10/gundam-fix-figuration-metal-composite_28.html#comment-form

If that 1/35 is actually a GFFMC I could see having to sell one of my kids into slavery to afford it LOL. Looks cool regardless.

I can see that being a very expensive one off. Maybe a statue. How could that thing be articulated and durable with all those crazy hatches open?

It's do-able. The 1/144 scale Super HCM Pro RX-78 has a good number of opening hatches plus a transforming Core Fighter Block and yet it's solid and very articulated. In fact this looks a bit like an upscaled and up-detailed Super HCM to me.

Edited by Vifam7

I had my friend go to the Tamashii Nation event today to try to get the Exia Trans-AM version for me, and it was sold out before his assigned line up time (2PM).

He told me Bandai would be opening orders up on their website, but it'll be a lottery even then, so he's going to try and get it for me that way once it goes up on the site, but I'm not sure I'll even know when it will be open. @_@;;;;

Bandai and their old tricks of making things scarce for the sake of it.

• 2 weeks later...

My Metal Build Exia Trans-AM Tamashii Nation 2013 exclusive arrived from Rakuten today.

End cost was ¥26,100, EMS shipping included. I figured I could pre-order the May 2014 re-release from NY, but after the NY slight mark up, and EMS from NY (¥4700), it was only a little bit more, and I get it now instead of in 6 months time.

It's really a beautiful rendition of Trans-AM. It's super subtle, which I think should have been a bit of a stronger effect, but the prism coat makes it sparkle nicely. Even the tampo is Trans-AM coloured. :D

It only includes the basic Exia gear, but so really this is the LEAST value for money of all the MB Exia releases.

Armour can be removed, so if you wanted you could do a mismatch with the normal Exia or Exia R1/R2/R3, but it would look franken. Besides it only needs the 2 beam sabers really so it can achieve the epic pose from the anime. :p

No loose joints, but they were looser than my original MB Exia which was rock solid and actually I was a bit scared to articulate the joints at first since it was so stiff. This one moves smoothly, but there is enough resistence to not have floppy limbs.

It's definitely a must have if you're a fan of Exia.

I'm even considering getting another MB Exia/R3 next time, as I also want to make the MB Exia R2 using the extra parts that came with the Exia R1, but I just need to find it for the right price, since it isn't a necessity. :p

Anyway on to the pictures (sorry just iPhone 5 pics for now)

Tamashii Nation 2013 box

post-7871-0-65845700-1384743463_thumb.jpg

Actual box. Bit bland compared to the normal one though. I think 00 Raiser Trans-AM had the same style art

post-7871-0-42099000-1384743464_thumb.jpg

Contents

post-7871-0-08800700-1384743465_thumb.jpg

Size compared to Yamato VF-1A MP with some armour removed

post-7871-0-74105400-1384743465_thumb.jpg

It's so lovely!

post-7871-0-38923800-1384743466_thumb.jpg

More photos once I get this home and can take some proper photos and some nice poses. I'll also compare it against the MB Exia and Exia R1.

Nice pictures. I do have a question however.

Can you explain to me what the difference are between Metal Build, Metal Composite and Fixed Figuration Gundams? I see these term floating around all the time over Gundam toys/model kits and I couldn't really figure out what this is all about.

it looks great though. Maybe I should check one out someday.

All are basically part of the Fix Figuration line of toys and Metal Build and Metal Composite are basically the same line, only different branding.

Here's the run down:

Fix Figuration / Zeonology

- scale 1:144

- uses gummy PVC parts, which can lead poor molding and fit of parts

- limited articulation

- many mobile suits have been represented

- around ¥3000 - ¥4000

- Fix represents Gundam and Federation suits, while Zeonlogy represents Zeon suits.

- line has been retired

Fix Figuration Next

- an extended line of the GFF, also 1:144 scale

- higher quality PVC parts, to reduce the gummy problem of original GFF line, with much better moulding and fit of parts

- increased articulation

- very few mobile suits represented

- about 20% more expensive than GFF

- line has been retired

Metal Build/Metal Composite

- scale 1:100

- chromed diecast skeleton/joints

- high quality ABS plastics

- very limited range of mobile suits represented - mostly the hero units

- highly detailed sculpting and tampo markings

- early models had limited articulation (MC range), but newer releases (RX-78 The Origin and MB) have fantastic articulation equal to Master Grade kits

- price has gradually been increasing over the years. MC seems to be more than MB. About ¥10,000 to ¥15,000 more than GFF.

- Metal Build come with really strong stands, while Metal Composite comes with plates with the unit details.

- Metal Composite represented the Gundam UC universe, and Metal Build for all other Gundam universes (SEED and 00 so far)

- line is still active, and currently expanding into series outside of Gundam. Code Geass and Full Metal Panic were teased at Tamashii Nation 2013.

I think that covers it.

Edited by eggy99

12800 Yen phew that is steep. Know I'm trying to think of a way to rationalize preordering this release.... ^_^

Is it so pricey because it is a web shop exclusive or just freaking big and loaded with accessories. I know there are some expensive Robot Damashii figures but they normally have a some kind of exclusive edition stuff going on (paint scheme, accessories, yada yada yada).

On the other hand I need the figure for my Gundam Unicorn Robot Damashii collection do be complete. Damn you OCD. *shakes his fist in anger* :D

[edit: ] After looking at the pictures I think I understand why it has to be more expensive then the standard Robot Damashii figure but almost 13000 Yen is very steep even if you take into account what will be included in the set.

Does anyone know if there are stands available for the other Gundam Unicorn suits in that line? I know of the Tamashii Tage Act stands but I was thinking of one that looks like the stand included with the Kshatriya but with markings for the Unicorn/Banshee/Sinanju.

Edited by Scyla