Forget Sazabi, there's Leos! Sazabi got a zillion kits already, but there's almost nothing for the Leo.

Surprised to see a TV Altron, too. Of course, I dare not hope for a TV Sandrock. The most-ignored Wing mech of all...

Also---Kirk's Zaku I seems to have quickly become everyone's fave Zaku I. (it is mine)

Forget Sazabi, there's Leos! Sazabi got a zillion kits already, but there's almost nothing for the Leo.

I'm going to need multiples of them, and the option parts set. I love leos. :wub:

I'm pretty satisfied with that actually. Of all gundam ever created, I'm pretty sure Exia was my favorite one. I used to draw little concepts of Gundams when I was a kid and Gundam actually aired here in the U.S., and I always seemed to like to put a giant physical sword on all of them. Nice to see Bandai reverberated my thoughts with the Exia.

I just hope that Exia won't be as expensive as Freedom though...

A part of me feels that the GFFMC line is slowly dying, with Origin being it's last hoorah, and all following releases will be piggybacked into the Metal Build series, which is a shame since I really loved the GFFMC line.

I too am on the lookout for a GFFMC banshee, which you would think Bandai would be smart enough to make since it's not more than a re-tooling of the Unicorn, albeit different colors and boxart...

I'm hoping that the Metal Build will come with the nice light up features that the MG came with. It shouldn't be too hard to do either. Comon Bandai!

you mean a GN drive that constantly falls apart and and doesn't come with the actual LED units unless you buy the limited DX version that costs twice as much.

of course you'll also be able to buy the LED units sperately, at 8$ a piece plus shipping via mail away that's only open to Japanese residents. :rolleyes:

Well, I assumed that it would come with it and stay together well due to it being a metal build release ^_^

I think LEDs really add a cool factor to all toys when used in the right positions, since it really does take a toy and breathe some life into it. The LED warning lights on a patlabor are key in point :D

you mean a GN drive that constantly falls apart and and doesn't come with the actual LED units unless you buy the limited DX version that costs twice as much.

of course you'll also be able to buy the LED units sperately, at 8$ a piece plus shipping via mail away that's only open to Japanese residents. :rolleyes:

That's just Hobby Division's common practice. Tamashii Division do it differently. That is, rarely or almost never putting light-up gimmick on their figures. So I won't get my hopes up. They're already missing their chance with MB 007S, doubt they'll will do it with Exia.

Edited by reeoyuy

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my review of the Metal Build Freedom Gundam

Sculpt and Paint: This is one of the categories of where the MB Freedom really shines. The proportions that Bandai gave the freedom feature much longer legs, a smaller narrower chest and longer arms. In other words, Bandai stretched the freedom design out from its more bulky animated version and kind of gave it proportions that are closer in kin to something Yamaguchi would do. The whole sculpt just screams dynamic and it really shows in the poses below. While some might not like the deviation from the line-art, I find the proportions refreshing and definitely more attractive than the rather cartoony looking master grade. The color palate that Bandai chose for the figure includes a slightly pearlescent white, flat grey, metallic blue, metallic red and a slightly brown metallic grey. I deeply enjoy the flat grey highlights around the body to add some contrast among the white and it gives the figure an almost real grade feel. Another thing to note is the lighter blue stripes on the wings and how they act a lovely contrast to the darker blue. The tampo- printing is neat and almost readable! Overall I’m in love with the sculpt and color palate that Bandai chose for this figure.

DSCN0979.jpg

DSCN0983.jpg

DSCN0985.jpg

DSCN1033.jpg

DSCN1035.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg

Articulation: The MB freedom has fantastic articulation and I would say it’s on par with current master grades. I’m not going to mention all of the articulation points, but I will mention a few points that stick out. First of all the knees are double jointed and feature an awesome sliding knee armor gimmick akin to what a master grade feature. The shoulders are triple jointed and can pull away from the body. The shoulder pads are on their own joints and allow the freedom to move its arms wherever they need to while still having the shoulder armor in a normal position. It’s kind of hard to explain how the shoulder pads interact with the rest of arms, but the effect works. The front hip skirts also split down the middle to help get out of the way and allow the legs to move further up. The wings feature a lot of movement and can move in pretty much any direction you want it to, but they’re a bit tight and can be kind of a pain to articulate (more on this later). The legs also have some pull out metal boosters. How cool is that?

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1032.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

DSCN0960.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0964.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

DSCN1054.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

Accessories: The accessories include two beam sabers, two pink beams, a shield, beam rifle, a nice assortment of different fixed posed hands, a stand and some attachment clips for the stand. The beam rifle is panel lined and features a moveable handle. The shield features some breathtaking detail and paint applications. The shield also features a handle that’s on a sort of ratcheted joint to remain firm during posing. The stand is like a Bandai action base, but with some awesome graphics on the base of it and the stand features safety locks for all of the positions the stand can be oriented in.

Metal Content: This line is called metal build and it lives up to its name. While there’s not a lot of exterior metal besides the feet, freedom gundam has a lot of heft. Metal content is in the ankle joints, inside the lower legs, knees, elbows, hip joints, inside the torso and the wing joints .Most of the metal bits are not painted and instead have been given a gritty metallic grey finish. The heft is great and the metal joints contribute to the sturdiness of the figure. Furthermore, the metal content provides a good sense of balance on the figure even with the wings attached.

DSCN1039.jpg

DSCN1042.jpg

DSCN1044.jpg

DSCN1046.jpg

DSCN1045.jpg

Quality Control and Potential Design issues: So if you’ve been looking through the pictures you’ll notice that the paint job isn’t the cleanest it could be. While to the naked eye my copy is passable, but if you start looking for painted dirt and overspray you can easily find some. I’m a bit disappointed the paint job didn’t come out as amazing as the MB 00 gundam. I guess Bandai decided to use the B factory on the freedom and it shows. For the $185 I paid for this piece I should expect a cleaner paint job. Paint aside, while the joints are all nice and tight, some of them are overly so. The amount of torque I had to use to get the wings to move for the first time was a little scary, and the same could be said about the elbows. Nevertheless, I’d rather have super tight joints than floppy ones. Thankfully all of the joints are metal so they could take a good beating. Another point of criticism I have for this piece is the way the back pack attaches. The backpack attaches to the back with two tabs that stay in about half of the time. The connection isn’t loose, in fact it’s quite tight, but the amount of torque required to move the wings or hip joints can unseat the backpack. Another annoyance I have is how thin the joint is to elongate the hip rail guns. Apart from most of the joints being metal, the joints on the rail guns are plastic and ones to elongate the rail guns kind of scare me how fragile they feel. Furthermore, when freedom gundam is on the stand make sure the backpack is securely attached or you could get a face planted gundam. Hopefully these issues are just reserved for my copy and there’s a lot more near perfect pieces out there. However, I have read on a lot of the HK forums that the paint job wasn’t very good and mine is no exception.

DSCN0987.jpg

DSCN1028.jpg

Overall: This piece is definitely beautiful to look at and it holds poses wonderfully. However, getting freedom to the right pose can be a tad irritating. As I mentioned before the paint job is a bit sloppy on my copy and I really wish Bandai took their time to get this piece as perfect as it could be, but what are you going to do? I think the MB 00 is still the better piece of the two and I hope Exia will be of the same quality as the 00. Freedom gundam is good, but not as good as it could be. At the end of the day posing freedom gundam feels like I’m posing a piece of art and that alone almost melts away most of my criticisms with the piece. Despite, some quality issues I will still recommend this piece to gundam high end gundam collectors and mecha fans alike. By the way Bandai normally don’t reissue their GFFMC and MB figures, so get this one while you still can.

DSCN1049.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Edited by SuperHobo

Really cool SuperHobo! I'm fairly surprised that the thing can stand so easily without any stand support. Makes me even more excited for the exia release that is coming. On another note though, seems like this metal build line has completely taken over the GFFMC line, which is a shame since the GFFMC origin gundam was pretty cool, and I do like the paintwork on the fix figurations a bit more.

Cool stuff all around though!

• 2 months later...

I finally received this past Saturday, the GFF Metal Composite RX-0 Unicorn Gundam (Prism Coating ver).

What an awesome figure!!! Smooth transformation between Unicorn mode and Destroid mode, everything stays together unlike the reviews I've seen from the Master Grade.The paint application is perfect, not a single flaw and it's full of tampo printed markings all over the suit since it's a Katoki design. It has a nice tight articulation, only limited by the disign itself (knees bend only 90 degrees).

Bandai really needs to continue this line. Full Frontal's Sinanju please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thread bump...

Well, I actually just got my first Robot Damashii gundams. Picked up a Unicorn gundam (destroy mode full action ver.) and a Tallgeese III. they're very awesome, I'll post pictures laters.

Anyways, has anyone gotten the RD Leo yet? I ordered one and an option part box from HLJ but between not knowing that the release date was the middle of the month, HLJ's private warehouse thing being confusing to use, and them just being slow as hell they still haven't shipped yet and I'm only getting one instead of the 3 I wanted (for now anyways).

More importantly: http://www.toyark.co...pace-type-6301/

Robot-Damashii-SIDE-MS-Leo-Space-Type-01_1344715962.jpg

HOLLY F*CKING CRAP! SPACE LEO!!!

359.png

How likely is it that Bluefin will offer this in the US? I know They've offered Tamashii web exclusives in North America in the past. Baring that, which sites do you guys recommend for proxy buying?

:edit:

also lol at all the people on ToyArk and Tomopop who are apparently too stupid to operate google translate and think it comes with no accessories just because there aren't pictures of them.

Edited by anime52k8

Mmmmn, Space Leo. I still haven't bought the green RD Leo, and I still have my MSIA Space Leo. Can't afford both in RD----basic green is iconic, but I much more associate the purple one with being piloted by Heero and kicking ass in EW.

Within the context of the show, the hordes of exploding green Leos will always be what sticks with me the most but the MSIA Space Leo was the first Gundam toy I ever bought and it's one of the few MSIA toys I still own. Needless to say the Purple Leo will always have a special place in my heart.

Still hoping for Bandai to produce RD Gundam Heavyarms and RD Gundam NT1.

I'm with you here. Though I'd really like a GP-01 (thought they had a prototype back in the day) and 02. I really didn't want to get into the Robot Damashii but then all the Unicorn stuff came out which led to this:

post-6104-0-24632600-1345254218_thumb.jpg

I've been super happy with the RD line. They are amazing figures at a very agreeable price point, and they more than make up for all the sins of the MSIAs IMO. Tracked down a Guncannon DT which I had apparently missed.

I'd kill for a RD Heavyarms Custom (EW Version) though!

I'm with you here. Though I'd really like a GP-01 (thought they had a prototype back in the day) and 02. I really didn't want to get into the Robot Damashii but then all the Unicorn stuff came out which led to this:

post-6104-0-24632600-1345254218_thumb.jpg

I've managed to hold off on those though I have to admit that display was glorious

• 4 weeks later...