Toynami 1/100 line

nightmareB4macross

Maiden,

I agree, your work is AWESOME! If Toynami could not find away to keep you around, it is truly is their loss. :angry:

Work and the business of life have kept me away for a while but I still remember all the times I saw you and enjoyed our talks at Comic Con. I also appreciate you taking the time to sign my Masterpiece Collection toys. I was hoping to catch up with you at a future Comic Con and have you sign the rest of my Masterpiece toys. Oh well.

I hope and pray you get snatched up by a company that really appreciates your talents so you can continue to share them with the rest of us! ;)

Best wishes!

Edited by SDFcommander

Maiden, you're a Macross legend now, your Regult is the only cool toy Toynami has ever put out for me. It makes me happy when I look at it!

I wish you the greatest 2012 and to be hired by one of the best toy companies out there that will let you fully express your amazing talent!

Edited by Frogze

• 5 weeks later...

Is Toynami indeed done with Robotech & Macross?

Not according to Tommy Yune or Kevin McKeever. According to them the Officer's Battlepod is the piece slated for release though I'm sure we won't see it for awhile. They always blame the weak economy for production delays and don't forget the boat that is always stuck at port for months before leaving. Hopefully we'll get it in time for the 30th anniversary.

I don't know much of this company but I don't understand their marketing plans, they seem to follow what I'd call a "full-fail strategy" as if their ultimate goal was neat failure.

It's rather clear that we'll never get the awesome looking:

- sand GBP (regular GBP is fine too, but I prefer the "desert" one),

- SuperOstrich,

- ElintSeeker

- Low vis VF-1A

And as far as I'm concerned I feel like we'll never get the Glaug too, even Maiden got frustrated and left the company, they have gold here and do nothing with it!

I think I'm going to go buy an autoCAD 2010 bible and start trying to make my own figures with the help of shapeway or whatever 3D printing company.

I'm feeling a bit disappointed at Toynami ("Go, Toynami, go fullfail your destiny" :D ).

Edited by Loute

Did Maiden get frustrated and leave or was Maiden let go because Toynami was throwing in the towel on Macross/Robotech. I thought it was the latter. Toynami didn't quit the Robotech or Macross licenses because they didn't think the toys were cool enough, they quit the licenses because they weren't making enough money from them. Robotech is dead and Macross is hot on its heels (in the US). Long live Yu-gi-oh or whatever the money makers are.

Toynami either can't afford to be in the premium Japanese toy business or they just don't know what they're doing. They keep making everything vinyl now but in the meantime, some other company manages to make a die cast Dairugger/ Vehicle Voltron. Then they let go of their one guy that can make those things for them. They may still come out with the toys that MJ had designed prior his exit but after that I'm wondering if they would replace or just let those licenses fade from their inventory. But really, who cares? Other people are making the same toys the right way. They can't be THAT unpopular. I still think that the Beagle Mospeada line would have been more successful if some other would have gotten involved, in fact I'm convinced that Toynami dragged them down with their dead weight.

I don't know much of this company but I don't understand their marketing plans, they seem to follow what I'd call a "full-fail strategy" as if their ultimate goal was neat failure.

It's rather clear that we'll never get the awesome looking:

- sand GBP (regular GBP is fine too, but I prefer the "desert" one),

- SuperOstrich,

- ElintSeeker

- Low vis VF-1A

And as far as I'm concerned I feel like we'll never get the Glaug too, even Maiden got frustrated and left the company, they have gold here and do nothing with it!

I think I'm going to go buy an autoCAD 2010 bible and start trying to make my own figures with the help of shapeway or whatever 3D printing company.

I'm feeling a bit disappointed at Toynami ("Go, Toynami, go fullfail your destiny" :D ).

Don't forget they also announced a 1/100 VF-1D.

Agreed, Toynami doesn't have the skills or the ability to play in the premium market and they've now discovered the hard way that the premium market is the only market left on 25-30 year old niche market anime. The Beagle toy might have done a little better teaming up with anyone else but the Beagle toy was doomed by REQUIRING another company be involved in the first place. Beagle had the very unfortunate circumstance of being two years late to a party that was fantastic at one point but they showed up just as it was ending with a thud.

Two years too late? What does 2 years do for a demand that's been there for over 25 years? Sure it's niche but like I've always said, the only 2 lines that were never completed were the ones Toynami were associated with, while CMs managed recolors and reissues, even an upgrade for one of their Legioss toys. The Beagle was one expensive toys, but we're seeing today that people are still willing to shell out up to $300 for obscure valks. the rest of the Ride armors had parts already molded. Bartley was the only one that needed extensive tooling. Maybe if Beagle would have gone with their original plans and just stayed with a Japan only market they might have finished all 4 ride armors. That's just conjecture on my part but you're making it sound like your 2 year theory had some market research behind it.

2 years before: Holy crap, the whole world is rich! 2 years later: Holy crap, the whole world is poor! I don't get the logic that Beagle could have done better by staying within Japan (but I'm a bit drunk). Their deal with Toynami presumably would have only reduced their profit on toys exported out of Japan. So, even with reduced profits from toys sold outside of Japan that's better than no profits from not trying to sell toys outside of Japan. Beagle needed either A) greater demand within Japan so they wouldn't really care how many toys Toynami ordered or B) a way better international entity that could push more toys and order many more of them... but for that part it seems like the US market for premium ride armors just doesn't exist. Stroll over to RT.com if you dare and witness all the would be purchasers complaining that the toy is too complicated and they'd only buy a ride armor for $79.99.

Again, you're stating things like they're facts... you're adding some truths to you're logic but without knowing the exact events, you seem to like to make it sound like you got reports or something. In the meantime... as I said, products, like Macross and CM's that didn't get aid from anyone outside of Japan made successful runs. Did they do it by keeping their numbers realistically lower than adding a supposed worldwide market? I don't know... I don't pretend to know. But you seem to. I just wish you would show where you got your proof because you seem to be sure of yourself, but all I get is blah blah blah THEREFORE... you should believe. If you only had these convictions for the reviews you make. Maybe you do now... again I wouldn't know... beause I stopped reading them.

Again, you're stating things like they're facts...

Only if you conveniently overlook the word "presumably" in my post.

you're adding some truths to you're logic but without knowing the exact events

So I've got logic and some truths on my side... seems like a good basis for an opinion.

you seem to like to make it sound like you got reports or something

I sound educated on economics and how businesses in general operate because I have a degree in business economics, am a CPA, and am in a position where I decide what projects live and die frequently.

In the meantime... as I said, products, like Macross and CM's that didn't get aid from anyone outside of Japan made successful runs

If we're discussing the CM's Mospeada line it came out before the big economic downturn and the most expensive items that are most comparable to the Beagle products (the legioss/tread sets) were duds. You're also just guessing the runs were successful. It's my understanding that CM's went through an economic crisis in 2009 and there are numerous Macross products that didn't sell particularly well as the economy soured. There are numerous other factors conveniently being overlooked when you assume the only variable in what lines were "successful" is whether or not the toys were exported globally.

Did they do it by keeping their numbers realistically lower than adding a supposed worldwide market?I don't know... I don't pretend to know. But you seem to.

It's math. Ultimately what killed the Beagle line was that it was generating enough revenue. When you figure out all that parts that go into generating revenue it's pretty hard to come to the conclusion that the international sales component somehow led to the lack of revenue. The only way you can get there is to instead say that Beagle priced the product too low because Beagle anticipated much larger revenues from international sales. The problem there is that Beagle then should have adjusted up the domestic price which may have negatively impacted domestic revenues due to the decrease in demand. So then you have to take another step back and say that Beagle should have made a simpler toy so they could have priced lower but again, the question is how would that have impacted demand. It seems to me (not fact, my opinion) that Beagle designed a sophisticated toy at the peak of a market and then were victims of the rapid decline in that market which reduced demand to a point of unsustainability.

I just wish you would show where you got your proof because you seem to be sure of yourself, but all I get is blah blah blah THEREFORE... you should believe.

I disagree with your opinion and have provided my own which I feel is better supported by what we know of business, economics, and recent macroeconomic history. You're still free to disagree, no hard feelings if you do.

Edited by jenius

I was actually under the impression that Toynami helped Beagle as far as the Ride Armors were concerned. I sorta remember there was a continued 3 month delay on the Beagle and it wasn't until the Toynami release was announced that the Beagle was released.

I don't have much love for Toynami, but that was one occasion where I thought they might have actually helped.

Does Toynami even have a presence at the New York Toy Fair this weekend? I've seen tons of reports online but nothing about Robotech, Macross or Toynami in general.

Toynami was there.

http://www.collectiondx.com/article/nytf2012_toynami

The only Robotech item seems to be the Officer's Battlepod.

I'd get excited about the Futurama stuff, but considering they're showing stuff they've been showing since 2010, and considering they didn't really have any new product out last year (aside from a talking Bender), I'm just going to assume its all vaporware.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I just received my order and got the Zentradi Heavy Missile Carrier Pod (the green one): the general aspect and the details are fine, the item is pretty but when I touched the leg it fell down :wacko: the glueing was bad I guess so I'll have to do it myself... I also received the VF-1(A/J/S) Strike Valkyrie pack (with super parts) and it's... well I don't know how I should feel about it. I was just interested in buying the VF-1A but it came in a "3 items-pack".

They look better than the transforming Kayodo's Revoltech (NR-36 /37 /40), more accurate in the shape with a little look that reminds me of the original series (big shoulders, large arms, head's aspect), they transform quite easily but the precision of the articulations is absent (not like Bandai's or Yamato's), it's full plastic and the overall seems a bit loose. They come complete with super strike parts (wich truly enhance their general aspect) and a display stand that's not very efficient (I put it back in the box since it's useless in gerwalk mode).

Though it's not bad overall, it doesn't look like it's quality made. I guess they should have added some lock mechanism for the leg hinges.

The whole lot is average quality, I regret the pod's falsly being articulated and that cheap plastic look for the Valks.

I now better understand the fans' critics especially when one's got used to Yamato or Bandai standards.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...