Toynami 1/100 line

nightmareB4macross

10 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Holy crap how many times did Toynami have to place their name on the front of the package? We already know it’s their garbage.

I am confused as to why they claim this to be for an adult collector when clearly the quality is for a 5 year old. 

If these were the original released in this packaging would have grabbed them, but now it’s just sad. Makes me wonder if they will be doing the 1/55 Strike and 1/55 VF-1A boxes as well. 

They're probably trying to reduce the returns and complaints from people who swear they were buying Takatoku products. Never under estimate human stupidity.

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Someone could probably make some extra spending cash for themselves by producing "retro" boxes for the HMR figs.....only with the original art, etc....

I'd buy a few of those.  Or if someone created the files then I'd print them out myself.  Does the HMR clear tray fit in the Toynami 1/100 Super VF-1S box?

50 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

I can´t understand why Toynami is using this package using only Macross terms and names, but then they insert a text box about the Macross Saga and Robotech. It makes no sense

When you're allowed to use the Macross name and you copy a Macross product box but you're only allowed to sell it where Robotech aired.

19 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Holy crap how many times did Toynami have to place their name on the front of the package? We already know it’s their garbage.

I am confused as to why they claim this to be for an adult collector when clearly the quality is for a 5 year old.

Cmon, now, it's only *four* times on the front!  :crazy:

And it is definitely not for five year olds, since they'd destroy this weak toy so fast it wouldn't be funny.

26 minutes ago, vladykins said:

Cmon, now, it's only *four* times on the front!  :crazy:

And it is definitely not for five year olds, since they'd destroy this weak toy so fast it wouldn't be funny.

Not trying to defend it, but in all fairness, I think that it is just one more than we see "Takatoku Toys" on the original Takatoku Toys release......the worst thing about it is still the "toy" inside the box....and the price they are, essentially, trying to get you to pay for a "retro" box! :huh:

Edited by jvmacross

• 2 weeks later...

They are roughly the same size as HMRs, but unless you can snatch them for the old price ($20) you are better off spending a little more and getting HMRs on deals when you can. These are notoriously flimsy and with prices in the $50+ category for them now, definitely not worth the money.

2 hours ago, sharky said:

I'm curious if anyone has some of these for army builders?  Do they fit in somewhat aesthetically and scale-wise with HMR valks?  At least for background fodder?

I have them as placeholders until an HMR version is released....they make ok stand-ins for display use and digital playtime ^_^ ...

gallery_12176_633_1642532.jpg

two shotb.jpg

Sadly....it seems several of them will not get HMR replacements unless you can customize your HMRs like @sh9000

Edited by jvmacross

2 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Every time I look at one of these toys I am reminded of the Banpresto VF-1 A/J/S releases from back in the 00's

I assume it reminds you of Toynami's "quality" because they are actually very different....

The Banprestos actually "look" better IMO and can deliver way better poses....but they are even more "delicate" to the touch....:rolleyes:

Perhaps they are closer to 1/144?

large.IMG_0049.JPG.930fa1563c39e04bf8e15

large.IMG_0054.JPG.8601bda16973eadc977b8

Edited by jvmacross

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, jvmacross said:

I assume it reminds you of Toynami's "quality" because they are actually very different....

The Banprestos actually "look" better IMO and can deliver way better poses....but they are even more "delicate" to the touch....:rolleyes:

Perhaps they are closer to 1/144?

large.IMG_0049.JPG.930fa1563c39e04bf8e15

large.IMG_0054.JPG.8601bda16973eadc977b8

No matter what mode the Banpresto is in, you will need to have really thick beer goggles stand 5 miles away to make them look “good”.

Toynami is definitely bad but not as bad as Banpresto.

In no way defending Toynami and HG, but the truth is real.

12 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

No matter what mode the Banpresto is in, you will need to have really thick beer goggles stand 5 miles away to make them look “good”.

Toynami is definitely bad but not as bad as Banpresto.

In no way defending Toynami and HG, but the truth is real.

LOL....I do not understand why are you quoting me on this almost a month later...

Anyway, I said IMO, right? I wasn't trying to push my "truth" or opinion on anyone

With that said, you seem to have a strong opinion on these toys...still, your "truth" is neither truth or real to me...just an opinion....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Would the two of you have your little spat in PMs next time please?

Why don't you say something meaningful instead?..like...next time do not direct quote anyone if you are just trying to say your own thing...if you took the time instead of just blabbing...you would have read that I was originally just stating my own opinion....not trying to claim anything I said as the "truth" or "real" or any other similar nonsense...so there was no need to quote my previous comment since I wasn't pushing my opinion on anyone....I am still not sure why the need to have done so....

It's like when you got out and you say to yourself "that person's pretty, but not my type".  And as availability goes down, desirability goes up!  It's all personal taste and how far we are willing to veer away from our personal ideal "perfect".  I like that Metal Structure Gundam, but I'll settle for that ver. AN.I.M.E.!

• 4 months later...

I have to say, no matter how craptacular these are people still tend to buy them.

I remember being on the band wagon for these when first introduced. Now I look back and realized they were fine for the time a long, long time ago.

To this day I still own some.

image.jpeg.525aab497e89b8af937278780fddb289.jpeg

From time to time, I consider getting rid of them, but then I just leave them be.

Lots of customs made with these.

image.jpeg.8a341ecf49d853892f2b3f3a329be6d8.jpeg

image.jpeg.486527cfa355d08b40f9f3eefdda3b4d.jpeg

image.jpeg.86604ec83e74910d9da4e73ea74144ed.jpeg

Edited by nightmareB4macross
SP

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

They are decent 20 footers......

I would still like to get the "retro" set (since I already have the "retro" Super and GBP sets), but waiting for a Black Friday type of sale on them....so far no one is budging on the MSRP

I know what you mean. I wouldn’t mind picking up a GBP and VF-1D for cheap.

3 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

When my final POL with BBTS ships I think I’ll add the Retro set.  I’m not sure if they’ll ever go on sale.

Nice customs @nightmareB4macross.

Thanks that means a lot coming from the King of HMR Customs.

Here’s a panorama of my set long before Toynami even thought of doing some of these and befor the original HMR sets. Still nice to look at but not touch.

image.jpeg.a6ac7bf296bff74bbe331ca805bc3eda.jpeg