Toynami 1/100 line

nightmareB4macross

Sure it’s nostalgic but it’s just all kinds of yuck.

Toynami places recolored images that are no where near an homage to the original illustrator.  Next you have that weird Saint Seiya looking character on the front that is supposed to be Hikaru. And then there is the nail in the coffin with their retelling of the story and adding RTecnology all the while Macross is splashed on the front of the box.

I will add though, Toynami did pull at the heart strings on this and created something interesting, finally.

Putting an HMR in this could be amusing...but I can totally do without this.

Just my two cents.

Agree. That part of the leg is sure is a big real estate, so why not paint a gorgeous art on it. After all, in 1/1 scale, that is already a size of a billboard ad.

<insert a picture here of a kneel posed gorgeous girl with a pink-yellow-orange hair on a bullet pointing upwards. :rolleyes:>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Why can't Bandai do this with HMR instead?:(

They have been doing their take on it with the HMR boxes....part of the HM-R(espect) of the line...the homage to their old school Bandai "Hi-Metal" line includes the placement of the window display and the use of awesome boxart that hasn't been used on a Macross PT VF-1 since...well, since the old Bandai Hi-Metal line! :good:

020015432917.jpg

02011601471.jpg

FQ2a6PN.jpg

3 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

They have been doing their take on it with the HMR boxes....part of the HM-R(espect) of the line...the homage to their old school Bandai "Hi-Metal" line includes the placement of the window display and the use of awesome boxart that hasn't been used on a Macross PT VF-1 since...well, since the old Bandai Hi-Metal line! :good:

020015432917.jpg

02011601471.jpg

FQ2a6PN.jpg

Good point! I love the HMR boxes as they are anyways so I'm all good. Releasing them in the OG box style would just be forcing my hand to buy more stuff.

I would get them at $20 each.....at $55, I am able to see through the nostalgic haze and remind myself that I already have the original 1/100 Takatoku Toys with the boxes Toynami is trying to emulate....;)

8B5pMxfGp2wgZEiMRw8AV8AUZDJKdKznneMND7jn

I was able to "rationalize" :db:  the Toynami  1/100 retro box sets to myself because Takatoku Toys never released any of the combo sets at 1/100 scale...

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Holy crap how many times did Toynami have to place their name on the front of the package? We already know it’s their garbage.

I am confused as to why they claim this to be for an adult collector when clearly the quality is for a 5 year old. 

If these were the original released in this packaging would have grabbed them, but now it’s just sad. Makes me wonder if they will be doing the 1/55 Strike and 1/55 VF-1A boxes as well.