The WWE and Pro-Wrestling Thread 2

Didn't realize our old thread was locked. tongue.gif

Some sad news to report. Wrestling legend Verne Gagne accused of body slamming fellow nursing home patient to death. Verne was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease a few years ago and his mind's been fading away.

In other news, Wrestlemania 25 is a few weeks away. I can remember when the first ones took place in the 80's. Any matches (confirmed or rumored) that anyone is looking forward to?

I had 2 time frames where I was a big "rasslin" fan. First, when I was a kid in the late 80's: Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage era.... then again in early 2000ish: The Rock, Mankind, etc era. It was cool when WCW was absorbed and they scripted a whole story for it lol.

I no longer watch though... I think it's permanent this time XD.

I was at Wrestlemania 2 (the Chicago part).

WM25...damn I was watching WWF before the first WM..

The first WM on VHS was 100.00 when it came out lol

I think the very first Wrestlemania I watched in part or whole was back in 1988 (Wrestlemania 4?). For several years, we would watch the major WWF pay-per-views either at my grandparents or at home. Also attended a fair number of WWF matches at the Omaha Civic Auditorium during that time of the late 80's/early 90's.

I occasionally will watch Smackdown and will go watch Wrestlemania or a few of the other pay-per-views at some of the local sports bars or Buffalo Wild Wings.

I still check out wrestlecrap.com frequently. :D

My first WrestleMania was in 1987, when my mom brought me and my sister to the Universal Amphitheater to watch WrestleMania III on closed-circuit TV. From X8 (2002) to 21 (2005), I watched WM at my friend's place. After the Benoit incident in 2007, I stopped watching WWE altogether.

Occasionally, I drop by YouTube and watch archives of FMW and IWS. Other than that, pro wrestling is just not interesting anymore.

What did you guys think of the film The Wrestler?

I saw it last month with a friend of mine (also a long time wrestling fan). I thought it was well done in what it was trying to convey about someone who is in a "meat market" of an industry who has clearly lived past his prime. Marisa Tomei's character, the aging stripper, was also a good parallel to the Ram. I liked the scene where the Ram is playing the fictional NES Wrestlefest game with this kid who's trying to convince him to go play Call of Duty 4. Still deciding if I'll pick it up on video, though.

I remember whatching the WWF on tv...on Saturdays I think?

Anyways, I remember Hulk Hogan, Sgt. Slaughter, the Million Dollar Man, Andre The Giant, hm...

Then, recently there was this Kane and Rock fellow - but I didn't really follow them...

I never got the toys though. Hulky wet guys in spandex just didn't cut if for me when stacked up against mutated Turtles or transforming robots :lol:

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Another year, another WreslteMania.

Anybody watching it this evening? This will be the fourth year in a row me and one of my friends are going a local sports bar to watch it.

(Look at that, a post to the wrestling thread that wasn't about a wrestler prematurely dying or killing someone! B)) )

My first WrestleMania was in 1987, when my mom brought me and my sister to the Universal Amphitheater to watch WrestleMania III on closed-circuit TV. From X8 (2002) to 21 (2005), I watched WM at my friend's place. After the Benoit incident in 2007, I stopped watching WWE altogether.

My feelings exactly

My girlfriend is wierd. She watched Transformers with me out of sheer courtesy and I can tell she's no dying to see Terminator 4, but will do it out of love for me...

BUT...

She wants to go see The Wrestler with me??

Because it got an oscar... or something...

Women can be so shallow :)

Not to dis the Wrestler, which might just be a great movie - but still...

What's worse - when I told her we should watch Rocky because that also got an Oscar, she was like "it did? When?" and I was like "1980 or something" and she was like "no."

AKA - no body cares, it's not trendy or in fashion :)

Anyways - wrestling rules.

Pete

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm

I don't get it. As soon as I figured out wrestling was fake, I stopped watching... I was 8. Its bodybuilders doing bad theatre. I just don't see the appeal. Compounded with that, these guys are dumb as hell and die so young by completely abusing their bodies. Each muscular dumb-ass that dies makes it so I get a hard time when I go to the grocery store. People look at me and figure I am some steroid fueled suicide machine just waiting to snap into a murderous rage.

These guys make real athletes look bad.

Hmm

I don't get it. As soon as I figured out wrestling was fake, I stopped watching... I was 8. Its bodybuilders doing bad theatre. I just don't see the appeal. Compounded with that, these guys are dumb as hell and die so young by completely abusing their bodies. Each muscular dumb-ass that dies makes it so I get a hard time when I go to the grocery store. People look at me and figure I am some steroid fueled suicide machine just waiting to snap into a murderous rage.

These guys make real athletes look bad.

the thing about wrestling is that it isnt a sport, its kinda an imitation of sport with stories thrown in to try to get people into it. I suppose you could compare it more with a play or a circus show rather than a real sport.

But, some of the guys are really good at putting on a good show whether it be in the ring or or the acting part. Not any muscle bound idiot could be a pro wrestler, its hard work with a lot of pain.

I watch wrestling once in a while. I know its fake, obviously. I don't really care much for the stories and whatnot, but i do like good matches.

• 1 month later...

Saw Hulkamania in Sydney last weekend. Was a great American style show but Hulk himself was showing his age and all the wrestlers had to change their names from their WWE etc ones because the tour isnt affiliated.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone here bother to tune in to WWE or TNA on Monday night? Both shows dropped their own bombshells that night:

TNA iMPACT!

Hogan made his TNA debut, but at the same time, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Sean "X-Pac" Waltman made their return to the company as well. Hogan, however, will not join the group, as "it's a different time."

WWE RAW

After over 12 years, Bret "Hitman" Hart returned to the WWE ring to host the show. He also confronted Vinnie Mac and Shawn Michaels over the 1997 Montreal Screwjob. Apparently, both Hart and Michaels have buried the hatchet; Vinnie Mac, on the other hand, reminded fans he's Vinnie Mac by giving Hart a low blow.

Yet another former WWF Superstar has fallen. Tony Halme, best known in the '90s as Ludvig Borga, died today of a possible drug-related cause. He was 47.

Sweet more negative comments I will have to look forward to at the grocery check out line.

Edit in:

300lb athletes don't die from steroid use (regardless if they actually used the stuff or not)... They die because the human heart is not designed to pump blood to a 300lb person. Think about it, do you guys know ANY 300lb people that live past 50?

Edited by Agent ONE

• 1 month later...

We have coverage up of the Mattel WWE figures from Toy Fair 2010. Any of you buying these figures? I like the Elites a lot and am EAGERLY anticipating the release of the WWE Legends line.

WWE Wave 1 Legends And New Elite Series Figures

WWE Basic And Wrestlemania Heritage Series

WWE Entrance Greats At Toy Fair 2010

WWE Legends Wave 2 Images

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0