Hiroshi Ohnogi and Macross Frontier

And just for the sake of saying they didn't come from the DVDs/Blu-rays...

Disc 1: Yuuichi Nakamura, Megumi Nakajima, Shoji Kawamori on the Yack Deculture edition

Disc 2: Katsuyuki Konishi, Megumi Nakajima, Hiroyuki Yoshino on Ep. 4

Disc 3: Yuuichi Nakamura, Hiroshi Kamiya, Jun Fukuyama on Ep. 7

Disc 4: Aya Endo, Megumi Nakajima, Shoji Kawamori on Ep. 10

Disc 5: Megumi Nakajima, Shoji Kawamori, Yasuhito Kikuchi on Ep. 12

Disc 6: Yuuichi Nakamura, Aya Endo, Souichiro Hoshi, Hiroyuki Yoshino on Ep. 16

Well...the "liner notes" clearly say they were from a RADIO show. Now, there may be some Macross-related radio show I'm unfamiliar with, but I don't think so. And Google searches (in Japanese and English) for any combination of "Hiroshi Ohnogi," "Bobby Margot," "kenta Miyake" "radio," "August 9," and "interview" turn up nothing except either the original "liner notes" on macrossgeneration, or to magnuskn's translation of them on animesuki.

I dunno. I'm at a loss.

But if Shaloom is right, and there really IS a seven-volume Macross novelization done by Ohnogi, I'd really like to get my hands on it. But so far, he's the only source I have for their existence.

(Why is there no single, authoritative website devoted to Macross in Japanese, anyway? That would make all of this a hell of a lot easier... <_< )

Well...the "liner notes" clearly say they were from a RADIO show. Now, there may be some Macross-related radio show I'm unfamiliar with, but I don't think so. And Google searches (in Japanese and English) for any combination of "Hiroshi Ohnogi," "Bobby Margot," "kenta Miyake" "radio," "August 9," and "interview" turn up nothing except either the original "liner notes" on macrossgeneration, or to magnuskn's translation of them on animesuki.

I dunno. I'm at a loss.

But if Shaloom is right, and there really IS a seven-volume Macross novelization done by Ohnogi, I'd really like to get my hands on it. But so far, he's the only source I have for their existence.

Unless it was a non-Macross radio show.

Unless it was a non-Macross radio show.

To answer your quote, let me quote the quote from original quote, er, post from Final Vegata:

The inclusion of Hiroshi Ohnogi to the staff of Macross Frontier caused furor in various Japanese forums, and actor Kenta Miyake (Bobby Margo) has invited him to the Macross Radio program for an interview. The program was broadcast on the Radio MBS, August 9, 2008.

Anyway, I've spent WAAAAY too much time on this today, and ended up exactly nowhere.

Still, I managed to waste another Sunday without cleaning the house, so I guess I accomplished my mission. ^_^

Hi all new poster. This thread plus Gubaba got my attention. Final Vegeta's hate towards Ohnogi was dramatic. Calm down man. The article "might" not even be true. Ohnogi might not even have written episodes 18-24. Unless someone has a stronger source saying otherwise. I'm ready to concede. Here's what I found. The complete list of staff who worked and were involved on Macross Frontier throughout all 25 episodes and everything about it. To back up Gubaba's claims. There are only 2 Macross Radio Programs and the one with Kenta Miyake ended long ago.

http://www.anime.marumegane.com/2008/macross_frontier.html

※第3,6話 作画監督補佐:大塚八愛  ※第10話 脚本協力:大野木寛/special thanks:MACROSS ZERO ALL STAFF

So far I've seen no traces of Ohnogi directing and working on episodes 18-24. The special mention of Ohnogi was due to the help he provided in episode 10 (Legend of Zero) regarding the script. He was the scriptwriter of Macross Zero as we all know. :) That is all.

Edited by Wall-E

Hi all new poster. This thread plus Gubaba got my attention. Final Vegeta's hate towards Ohnogi was dramatic. Calm down man. The article "might" not even be true. Ohnogi might not even have written episodes 18-24. Unless someone has a stronger source saying otherwise. I'm ready to concede. Here's what I found. The complete list of staff who worked and were involved on Macross Frontier throughout all 25 episodes and everything about it. To back up Gubaba's claims. There are only 2 Macross Radio Programs and the one with Kenta Miyake ended long ago.

So far I've seen no traces of Ohnogi directing and working on episodes 18-24. The special mention of Ohnogi was due to the help he provided in episode 10 (Legend of Zero) regarding the script. He was the scriptwriter of Macross Zero as we all know. :) That is all.

CRAP IN A HAT! How much more confusing is this going to get?

Strangely, the site you link to is one of the ones I found by accident in my search yesterday...I didn't even think to look if Ohnogi was credited for writing the last clutch of episodes.

That said, I thought it was a verified fact that he worked on the second half of the series...is even THAT under suspicion now...? :wacko:

That said, I thought it was a verified fact that he worked on the second half of the series...is even THAT under suspicion now...? :wacko:

Unless there was an actual link to the source saying that Ohnogi did work on the second half then I guess it is. <_< To add to Bobby's mysterious radio program, I also didn't find any news of Ohnogi joining the MacrossF staff and taking over. I'm just as confused as you are right now to be honest. I even made an account to get it off me just for the hell of it. :lol:

Unless there was an actual link to the source saying that Ohnogi did work on the second half then I guess it is. <_< To add to Bobby's mysterious radio program, I also didn't find any news of Ohnogi joining the MacrossF staff and taking over. I'm just as confused as you are right now to be honest. I even made an account to get it off me just for the hell of it. :lol:

Okay.

I hope someone can waltz in with some explanations, because this all seems very, very weird right now.

I heard about Ohnogi joining the staff quite a while back, and I'm sure I heard about it here, but I can't remember when or from whom.

It seemed interesting, and kind of cool (I like Ohnogi's work, especially on the Area 88 TV series, but it seems I'm alone there), and I didn't question it.

But phantom radio shows, undocumented amateur-press novels, and all of this information coming out with no way to verify any of it...it's all getting a little too X-Files for my taste.

Some of the "liner notes" Ohnogi interviews seem to have a real ring of authority to them (I was actually rather moved by Ohnogi convincing Kawamori to allow the Sheryl/Alto kiss by comparing it to "Love Drifts Away"), and I can't bring myself to believe that they were faked (why would anyone go through all the trouble to do that, anyway?), but something sure seems to be screwy about all this.

The way I understand it was that Ohnogi was given control over the Sheryl arc and I believe the remainder of the love triangle (but I am not sure about the triangle bit entirely). Which is why Sheryl became such and interesting 3 dimensional character over the course of the second half of the series.

Kawamori retained final say on everything else and ultimately what Ohnogi contributed, as he was the Supervising Director (i.e boss).

Edited by Zinjo

Wow I'm totally confused now. So to summarise:

Old situation: Ohnogi was brought in for the second half, he was responsible for the Sheryl arc and sending Ranka on a wild Varja chase.

New situation: Ohnogi only helped on episode 10, which was directly related to Mac0, which he worked on, and there is no official recognition/acknowledgement of him working on the second half incl. the Sheryl arc even though he was (allegedly) the mastermind of it?

We need Scully and Mulder!

OKAY, my interest? Officially piqued.

I love all this behind the scenes staff rumours and ura-banashi stuff. I've been trying to put together an overview of who was responsible for what in the original SDF show for years.

Since MacF is still a very new show... what do you say we just ask? It should not be so hard to just phone Satelight and ask to what extent Ohnogi was involved. The least they could say is that that is classified information.

Ah, but then we'd have the government breathing down our backs...

(And if it indeed is true that Ohnogi's involvement was minimal, then I really feel sorry for Final Vegeta who must have lost a lot of weight venting for nothing).

Edited by Renato

The way I understand it was that Ohnogi was given control over the Sheryl arc and I believe the remainder of the love triangle (but I am not sure about the triangle bit entirely). Which is why Sheryl became such and interesting 3 dimensional character over the course of the second half of the series.

Kawamori retained final say on everything else and ultimately what Ohnogi contributed, as he was the Supervising Director (i.e boss).

So the big question: where did you hear that?

Ok, been unsuccessful getting into the data section of Macross Generation as of yet, will likely take me some time.

Also found this nicovideo link: Right here

It appears to be the Macross Radio that deals with episode 24, but my Japanese is so damned out of practice I can barely make heads or tails of it. I'd think that if an ep on 24 existed and there was an interview with Ohnogi on it, it'd be this one. If it isn't it could be an earlier episode. Apparently there have been about 50 or so.

Edit: Never mind, it doesn't seem like they are focusing on a particular episode on this one, read it wrong I guess. On the bright side there is a Nakajima version of Angel's Paint that I hadn't heard before. It sounds really good.

Edited by bishopcruz

Ok, been unsuccessful getting into the data section of Macross Generation as of yet, will likely take me some time.

Actually, make three posts ( but refrain from just making "Me, too!" posts, they frown upon that. Add something of value to the existing thread you post in. ) in different threads, and you immediately gain access to it. Well, that was the case with me, anyway.

If you want to go directly to the person with the answers, just PM Shaloom, he very kindly gave me very detailed responses, the last time I spoke with him.

Actually, make three posts ( but refrain from just making "Me, too!" posts, they frown upon that. Add something of value to the existing thread you post in. ) in different threads, and you immediately gain access to it. Well, that was the case with me, anyway.

If you want to go directly to the person with the answers, just PM Shaloom, he very kindly gave me very detailed responses, the last time I spoke with him.

I'll second that. Shaloom has been very gracious and generous with his time.

I just wish he had added better references to his liner notes... :(

Yeah, got in PMed him, hopefully he can shed some light on this. It's just getting really weird that there is not much Japanese language confirmation of any of this.

Ok, what's the talk of 3 different Macross Radio programs btw? The only one I have ever found was called: マクロスF○※△, and it seems that there was one for 08/08, just not 08/09.

I found reference however to a Famitsu article on Macross Frontier which supposedly mentioned Ohnogi, trying to track it down, mainly failing. It came out sometime in October. If anyone can find it. I'm gonna ask around NeoGAF and see if anyone might still have/remember that issue, but I can't find the interview online. Then again I don't know if Famitsu mirrors its articles online.

Yeah, got in PMed him, hopefully he can shed some light on this. It's just getting really weird that there is not much Japanese language confirmation of any of this.

Ok, what's the talk of 3 different Macross Radio programs btw? The only one I have ever found was called: マクロスF○※△, and it seems that there was one for 08/08, just not 08/09.

I found reference however to a Famitsu article on Macross Frontier which supposedly mentioned Ohnogi, trying to track it down, mainly failing. It came out sometime in October. If anyone can find it. I'm gonna ask around NeoGAF and see if anyone might still have/remember that issue, but I can't find the interview online. Then again I don't know if Famitsu mirrors its articles online.

Yeah, there have been three Macross F related radio shows.

First there was RADIO MACROSS, with Kenta Miyake and Megumi Nakajima, which ran from January 2008 until the debut of Frontier in April.

Then there was the one you mention, Macross F○※△, with the voice actors for Alto and Michael, as well as Megumi. It ran all through Frontier's run.

After Frontier ended, it was replaced by Macross F○x△ (note the small difference in the form of the "x"), which is currently running, and is pretty much the same as the previous show.

Anyway, back to the topic...I'm going to feel pretty damn stupid if there's a simple explanation for all this. <_<

Ditto, I just can't think of one currently. I mean the level of information in the interviews is ridiculously specific. But, I guess the researcher side of me won't rest until I get confirmation of well, anything.

And still, the only Macross Radio I can find for that date is August 8, and it doesn't seem like it has much of an interview in it. I really hate to doubt the info, but i dunno, something smells a bit fishy, especially because it seems like NOTHING can currently be found about all the assumptions about Ohnogi and Kawamori. Really, if ANYONE can confirm anything from these interviews, please do.

I hope this is all a mistake or something, because it's kinda disheartening.

Here's the show that it should be, my Japanese isn't good enough to make out most of it.

Ok, spoke with Shaloom, and here's what he tells me.

Basically the stories written by Ohnagi aren't really novels. We knew that, but they aren't really doujinshi either. Basically they were published serially in magazines such as OUT and Animage from 1986 - 1988, they weren't reprinted as far as he knows, though he says he has a few of them, they are hard to come by, naturally. The stories aren't canon, he said he mentions them for the curiosity factor. They apparently are barely official.

As for the radio show, apparently there was a separate show on MBS that was different from the webcast one. It was only on when MacrossF was on the air. He was apparently in Japan for much of last year, and listened to the show a few times to jot it down and translate it. I'll try asking if he has any recordings. 

That's the good news, we at least have some plausible reasons for some of the stuff being hard to find. OTOH, I STILL can't find proof or mention of the Bobby show past April or so. The short stories would be easy enough to follow up on, if my Japanese was better, as it isn't I can't.

Again, Shaloom really seems to be on the up and up, and he hasn't shied away from any questions. He's given us a ton of information, it's just driving me batty that I can't find proof of any of it.

Ok, spoke with Shaloom, and here's what he tells me.

Basically the stories written by Ohnagi aren't really novels. We knew that, but they aren't really doujinshi either. Basically they were published serially in magazines such as OUT and Animage from 1986 - 1988, they weren't reprinted as far as he knows, though he says he has a few of them, they are hard to come by, naturally. The stories aren't canon, he said he mentions them for the curiosity factor. They apparently are barely official.

As for the radio show, apparently there was a separate show on MBS that was different from the webcast one. It was only on when MacrossF was on the air. He was apparently in Japan for much of last year, and listened to the show a few times to jot it down and translate it. I'll try asking if he has any recordings. 

That's the good news, we at least have some plausible reasons for some of the stuff being hard to find. OTOH, I STILL can't find proof or mention of the Bobby show past April or so. The short stories would be easy enough to follow up on, if my Japanese was better, as it isn't I can't.

Again, Shaloom really seems to be on the up and up, and he hasn't shied away from any questions. He's given us a ton of information, it's just driving me batty that I can't find proof of any of it.

That's what weirds me out, too. I believe it all, I just wish I could find some verification.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out and getting some answers!

Putting this out there, because I am getting confused as hell. Basically from what I can tell, the only screenwriter for MacrossF is Yoshino Hiroyuki (吉野弘幸). I've looked over the credits (can't believe I never thought of that, talk about over thinking it.) and did a random sampling eps, ones that Oonogi was supposed to have written, and ones Kawamori was supposed to have written, and in EVERY SINGLE ONE it only lists Yoshino.

Now, I thought maybe the credits never change. BUT other parts of them do. Storyboards change from episode to episode, as do directors, but the screenplay/scenario NEVER DOES (or if it ever did, I missed it). So, then it appears that this Ohnogi stuff would by occam's razor be a myth or misunderstanding. It simply does not fly with the credits at all.

If he DID write scripts for 18-24 then he did not get any credit at all, anywhere.

If I missed a mention of him in the credits from anywhere other than episode 10 let me know. I was looking out for him, but found nothing at all. I'd love to be proven wrong。

Also, trying to do a search on Radio macross and yoshino heralded better results than with Oonogi, but again, my Japanese isn't quite to the level it needs to be to figure out if there is an interview with him, that and my time is limited.

Found a blog that goes out of its way to mention in passing that "just in case, Ohnogi is not involved with Macross F".

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/negirin/20080602/1212422884

I know, it's just a blog, with no authority, but still.

So I believe "officially", the only credit Ohnogi has received within Macross F is in episode 10, where he is listed as "script collaborator", but I think that is due to the direct references to Macross Zero's script within that episode, which was written by Ohnogi. Hmm.

Edited by Renato

Found a blog that goes out of its way to mention in passing that "just in case, Ohnogi is not involved with Macross F".

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/negirin/20080602/1212422884

I know, it's just a blog, with no authority, but still.

So I believe "officially", the only credit Ohnogi has received within Macross F is in episode 10, where he is listed as "script collaborator", but I think that is due to the direct references to Macross Zero's script within that episode, which was written by Ohnogi. Hmm.

Am I wrong, or is that blog entry from June 2008? When the episodes where Ohnogi contributed hadn´t aired yet?

Am I wrong, or is that blog entry from June 2008? When the episodes where Ohnogi contributed hadn´t aired yet?

June 2008 would have been the time that episode 10 aired.

Again, I'm over half putting this out there to try and clear everything up and figure out what Ohnogi's role was. I'm kinda hoping for people to step up and offer some definitive proof on it, one way or the other. The problem is, the more I look into it, the more it looks like Ohnogi wasn't involved, and if that ends up being the case, then that opens a lot of other questions up. I'm currently trying to find out how script collaborations work, and what is required to be in the credits, but considering that they do change from episode to episode, and the Screenwriter credit stays the same, it looks like Yoshino was THE main scriptwriter for everything. Kawamori was in every likelihood around to oversee it all, and maybe Oonogi was helping as well.

There are still several leads that I'm looking into, and if I'm missing something, I'd be more than happy to admit that I was wrong, an idiot, or whatever. But every time I try to verify a lot of the information that I have seen online, especially the stuff concerning Ohnogi, I come up empty.

There have been interviews with Kawamori about MacF, I've been able to find those. I'm still working on verifying the translations, which might be tougher, but with respect to one, I'm fairly certain its on the level. But too much doesn't add up right now. I'm currently trying to trace the first time Ohnogi was referred to as the writer of 18-24, hopefully I can track down where the initial information came from.

Also, does anyone know of any large message boards for Japanese macross fans? I'll probably start looking there soon.

I'm thinking that maybe someone got confused between Yoshino and Ohnogi, or something like that.

Also, does anyone know of any large message boards for Japanese macross fans? I'll probably start looking there soon.

I'd go looking around 2ch, maybe ask there on the sci-fi/anime boards.

Man I hate Japanese bbses they are hell, no threads just a crap ton of posts scrolling down a page. Christ.

Ok, so I did a search on both here and the Animesuki forums and noticed something interesting. The first posts that mention Ohnogi en EITHER of the forums actually begin in response to the Famitsu interview last october. Before that there was nary a mention of him at all.

The good news about that is the following: I know for a fact that the interview exists, even though I can't confirm the content (it's not on their website.) The interview came out in early October, I THINK the issue was between 1033 and 1035. I'm trying to track down a copy, but am having little luck. Anyone have any clues about finding old issues of Famitsu? I have seen 'em for sale on Yahoo auctions, but the price to acquire them is pretty absurd.

Man I hate Japanese bbses they are hell, no threads just a crap ton of posts scrolling down a page. Christ.

Ok, so I did a search on both here and the Animesuki forums and noticed something interesting. The first posts that mention Ohnogi en EITHER of the forums actually begin in response to the Famitsu interview last october. Before that there was nary a mention of him at all.

The good news about that is the following: I know for a fact that the interview exists, even though I can't confirm the content (it's not on their website.) The interview came out in early October, I THINK the issue was between 1033 and 1035. I'm trying to track down a copy, but am having little luck. Anyone have any clues about finding old issues of Famitsu? I have seen 'em for sale on Yahoo auctions, but the price to acquire them is pretty absurd.

Ask people like Tak about the interview, they should be able to help you find it, if it was posted on AnimeSuki.

Gah. Sorry. I'll keep looking.

I can't find anything, either.

Shaloom at Macross Generation, from everything I've read of his, really seems to be on the level...and he also seems to surpass Egan in his knowledge of all things Macross.

But yeah, it's weird that there seems to be no documentation of Ohnogi's involvement with Frontier.

i just wish I knew which issues of Animage and Out had those SDFM stories...

Edited by Gubaba

Ask people like Tak about the interview, they should be able to help you find it, if it was posted on AnimeSuki.

It was, but it was a translation of Shaloom's translation. Before those posts, there was no mention of him AT ALL. Here it is much the same. I talked to Tak, and others, and no one at all can find the evidence. Which is why I'm really trying to find that interview. If I can locate it, and it adds up to the summaries poste, then at least for me, I'll be comfortable enough to not worry as much about the other things. It might even help make sense of the fact that the man who was supposed to be one of, if not the main creative force behind 18-24 got no credit at all.

I can't find anything, either.

Shaloom at Macross Generation, from everything I've read of his, really seems to be on the level...and he also seems to surpass Egan in his knowledge of all things Macross.

But yeah, it's weird that there seems to be no documentation of Ohnogi's involvement with Frontier.

i just wish I knew which issues of Animage and Out had those SDFM stories...

He said they pretty much ran between 1986 and 1988, I think they are monthlies. They were all supposed to have short stories of some sort from varying writers in the field. He said that he didn't have all of them, just a few, but that should hopefully help you get started at least.

I also found out which issue of Famitsu I'm looking for, now I just need to find it, hopefully without paying over 10x its price for a proxy and shipping. The issue is 1035.

It was, but it was a translation of Shaloom's translation. Before those posts, there was no mention of him AT ALL. Here it is much the same. I talked to Tak, and others, and no one at all can find the evidence. Which is why I'm really trying to find that interview. If I can locate it, and it adds up to the summaries poste, then at least for me, I'll be comfortable enough to not worry as much about the other things. It might even help make sense of the fact that the man who was supposed to be one of, if not the main creative force behind 18-24 got no credit at all.

He said they pretty much ran between 1986 and 1988, I think they are monthlies. They were all supposed to have short stories of some sort from varying writers in the field. He said that he didn't have all of them, just a few, but that should hopefully help you get started at least.

Hmmm...that's still 72 issues from which to choose...not good odds. And according to Renato, old issues of Out are quite rare.

I also found out which issue of Famitsu I'm looking for, now I just need to find it, hopefully without paying over 10x its price for a proxy and shipping. The issue is 1035.

I found this, which seems to give a pretty complete run-down of the issue. Nothing about Ohnogi, though:

http://ameblo.jp/abstract1/entry-10146415805.html

Googling ファミ通, 1035, and 大野木寛 all together got me about 13 results, none of which were useful.

Well, the interview was with Kawamori, and I have found evidence of that, using the search ファミ通、インタビュー、and 河森正治.

This page mentioned it more, I know MacF got game of the month that issue, though few other summaries mention the interview I found this page which talked about it. Can't make too much of it though, time and skill just not being what I have:

http://kokubannnorakugaki.seesaa.net/article/107752362.html

also this page mentioned the interview, and ha a brief mention of Ohnogi.

http://c.2ch.net/test/-/iga/1099814867/714-

Edited by bishopcruz

You all need to fill us non-fluent japanese readers about the contents of those links. I can't follow. :lol: What does this mean? Is this an episode commentary from Kawamori? What did the famitsu article cover?

「一度かけた歌をつぎにかけるときは、それよりよく聴かせたいと思って

(中略)わかりやすいところで『星間飛行』のキラッってのを

聴かせるためだけに、12話が作られていると言ってもウソじゃありません(笑)」

But to summarize what I got from this thread, there is not enough evidence to point out that Ohnogi really worked on the second half of the series. I don't know shaloom and I'm not saying he's making things up but considering the amount of information the liner notes had, is it possible to be able to jot all down in complete details through a one-time listen to the radio? He must've recorded those interviews. Maybe? If he did, I wonder if he can share it with us to back up his liner notes.

I never understood the japanese credits at the end of each episodes, but Ohnogi should also be on the credits if he was one of the people who worked on a certain episode. Since noone here saw his name, right now, I'm also skeptic. :( Sorry.

Edited by shan

The strength of Macross Plus' triangle is also the great failing of Macross Frontier.

Macross Plus' triangle feels more intrinsic and gritty and serious. It is the story of 3 childhood friends torn apart by love and emotions and jealously which turn them to enemies. It's also the story of two guys and one girl which I've always found more relatable and realistic. What is with animes and their "harem" tendancies with the one guy being chased by every beautiful girl on the block? It simply is not realistic when you look at the majority of nature. It is usually always the males competing for mates. It is the females that hold the power.

I never liked this part of Frontier. Alto is one of those characters you either love or hate. I personally hated him because he's your typical anime dorkhead who has everything given to him and he doesn't recognize how good he has it and he just stumbles around on natural talent, luck, and the fact that everybody is in love with him and he gets away with his denseness and obliviousness to the people and struggles around him. That's also what makes me hate Basara with a passion.

Generally I suppose, I can't say that I have liked Macross's characters that much outside of Macross Plus despite my devout following of it. I generally hated all the starring protagonist characters like Hikaru, Basara, and Alto. Isamu was the one exception of an actual good lead. Macross Plus was one of the few instances where I can say that I felt like Shoji had really planned and mapped it out properly. Frontier, like Macross 7 and even SDFM felt rushed and slapped together with last minute changes and addendums. SDFM perhaps can't be blamed because it is really the padded on extra episodes due to ratings and demand that caused it's downfall. It all wrapped up beautifully after the SDF-1 fell to earth.

I can't believe how slipshod Frontier felt. They literally made it all up as they were going along. I wonder how it would have turned out without Hiroshi Ohnogi. I really wonder how different the story would have been purely under Shoji even if he couldn't make up his mind. The series had so much potential and the haphazard episode arrangement and rushed or filler eps wasted a lot of time.

Edited by ComicKaze

The strength of Macross Plus' triangle is also the great failing of Macross Frontier.

Macross Plus' triangle feels more intrinsic and gritty and serious. It is the story of 3 childhood friends torn apart by love and emotions and jealously which turn them to enemies. It's also the story of two guys and one girl which I've always found more relatable and realistic. What is with animes and their "harem" tendancies with the one guy being chased by every beautiful girl on the block? It simply is not realistic when you look at the majority of nature. It is usually always the males competing for mates. It is the females that hold the power.

I never liked this part of Frontier. Alto is one of those characters you either love or hate. I personally hated him because he's your typical anime dorkhead who has everything given to him and he doesn't recognize how good he has it and he just stumbles around on natural talent, luck, and the fact that everybody is in love with him and he gets away with his denseness and obliviousness to the people and struggles around him. That's also what makes me hate Basara with a passion.

Generally I suppose, I can't say that I have liked Macross's characters that much outside of Macross Plus despite my devout following of it. I generally hated all the starring protagonist characters like Hikaru, Basara, and Alto. Isamu was the one exception of an actual good lead. Macross Plus was one of the few instances where I can say that I felt like Shoji had really planned and mapped it out properly. Frontier, like Macross 7 and even SDFM felt rushed and slapped together with last minute changes and addendums. SDFM perhaps can't be blamed because it is really the padded on extra episodes due to ratings and demand that caused it's downfall. It all wrapped up beautifully after the SDF-1 fell to earth.

I can't believe how slipshod Frontier felt. They literally made it all up as they were going along. I wonder how it would have turned out without Hiroshi Ohnogi. I really wonder how different the story would have been purely under Shoji even if he couldn't make up his mind. The series had so much potential and the haphazard episode arrangement and rushed or filler eps wasted a lot of time.

I am going to go against all this "Rara, Ohnogi, you saved Frontier, without you it would have been crap" thing, which I have seen developing on AnimeSuki and here for a while.

Yeah, I pretty much agree that Ohnogi took the romance to a new level, and if he would have been allowed to finish it in the way it deserved, the finale of Frontier would have been much more epic and memorable than what we got.

But I really do not see how the series was full of filler episodes, like you say. About the only three episodes which weren´t essential to the plot were episodes 8, 9 and 10. But even those managed to advance the plot or at least advance character development in significant ways. I do agree that they probably could have been replaced with more significant stuff, but they are heads and shoulders above to filler episodes of other series.

Then we got that meme that Frontier had lost its way around episode 17, and then Ohnogi got in and saved the series... how exactly is that true for the main storyline? We already knew that Grace was a bad guy around that point, Leon was plotting with her, Mr. Bilrer had shown up and Frontier was losing its grip on its fragile ecosystem. All the plot elements which only got expanded upon were already there.

I believe that Ohnogi did help out tremendously with the romance aspect of the series, but as for the main storyline, things were already on track as they were.

As for Alto, I´m not going to start a long argument, but I profoundly disagree about your view on his character. The triangle, though, was lopsided towards Sheryl very much, so I agree that it could have been done better. But then Ranka would have needed to have another type of personality, I guess. In any case, Sheryl is awesome. B))