Bandai VF100's Official Thread Ver.2

Graham

yup, exactly my point. has all the problems the yammie 1/60 yf=19 has despite it being a parts-former. good job bandai!

And exactly what problems do the two share???

As for being a parts-former, if plastic pieces break off then it was at least by design....

Are those sound boosters in the pic going to be a web exclusive? I'd actually purchase a HiMetal if I could get sound boosters.

Forgive me if someone posted the answer to this already.

Yeah the sound boosters are a Tamashi web exclusive part so you'll need to go a proxy buyer to get them sadly.

I fail to understand why everybody keeps whining about Bandai doing the same (popular) valks.

Its not as though Yamato started their Patlabor stuff with the Brocken, Helldiver or Griffon.

Or what about Votoms... first release was a Scopedog, not a Fatty, Tortoise or Diving Beetle.

So sit tight, drink a cup a of tea or stare at some line art and eventually your favourite non-mainstream VF will be produced.

because there have been more toys and models made of the VF-1 than there have of the Scopedog and Ingram combined.

also when Yamato released their Patlabor and Votoms figures they where bigger and more extravagant than any Ingram or scopedog toy released before or since.

And exactly what problems do the two share???

As for being a parts-former, if plastic pieces break off then it was at least by design....

ill fitting parts in fighter mode, gouges in the back of the legs, wonky battroid proportions, fat gullet.

the 1/100 has those little snap in parts for the legs though, that's nice, makes it look better but it's also lacking landing gears (what's the excuse on a partsformer?) gun can't stow in fightermode, has gaps along the wing root and leg in fighter mode, a bulging back in fighter mode, poor fit between the shield and legs in fighter mode, mismatched color between parts.

and then there's just the annoying stuff like the hand selection and the typical web'sclusive bullshit.

If you don't care about fighter mode it's a great little figure. I personally consider the fighter mode more important than the battroid when it comes to valkyries and find vf-19 to be more than a little disappointing. But great for everyone that likes it and the line.

I'll be happy to pick something up that hasn't already been done 2 or 3 or 5 times before.

Edited by eugimon

Ordinarily, I'm totally a fighter mode guy, but Basara was rarely in Fighter. Battroid was definitely his most important mode and his typical "parking" mode, unusually enough.

I'm sure even the people who are saying "I want the VF-4!" realize that it'd be a pretty stupid way for Bandai to run a business if they started the series with the most obscure figures and then worked their way to the more mainstream. You make your money on the proven winners and then you work your way to the more obscure stuff. If anything it's pretty shocking they started with the VF-19Kai instead of the VF-1. Bandai is the only company out there who knows how well the VF-17 sells as a toy, they probably have good reason for it not being one of their first 1/100s. The VF-4 would get no "OMG I remember that vehicle from a cartoon when I was a kid, I'm going to buy it!" sales.

Picked up VF-25F for about $25 off last week, and I ended up liking it a LOT more than I thought I would. The parts swapping suprisingly doesnt bother me that much, and I love the proportions in Battroid. It's fun, and its palm-sized. I'm not worried about breaking anything or ruining any decals and paint or having to massage everything in perfect alignment like I am with my kits(although, the kits are still #1 to me). Nor do I curse it's Battroid proportions, landing gear, rub off paint...etc like I do my DX.

Of course, it could also be that I only paid $25 for it, and wasn't expecting much...hell I just wanted a 1/100 VF-25 to go with my VB-6. That said, it definitely does have its shortcomings, while the parts swapping doesn't bother me as much, it sure looks like MUCH less should have been nessacary. Fighter mode could have been better too, legs too low, no pilot. When half the toy is parts swapping, there really shouldnt be so many sacrifices.

Oh, and I lowered the hips in Battroid mode, makes it look like a totally different toy! That might sway my opinion some:)

This one looks different than the earlier pictures that I've seen. The hips are in the right position...Are there 2 versions??

This one looks different than the earlier pictures that I've seen. The hips are in the right position...Are there 2 versions??

In the last line of the post, he points olut atht he modded the hips to allow for that. Looks much better.

Better a swap part for the heat shield than an easily broken one. That said, I am a little disappointed, I'd have thought Bandai of all companies would be able to make it work.

Re: That 1/100's poster, if they do even half of those I'd be impressed, Bandai has a nasty habit of just suddenly dropping lines, msia/hcm pro anyone? :rolleyes:

Also on the subject of that poster, what the hell is that in the middle, some kind of magic eye picture. :lol:

Edited by Fort Max

it's the Illuminati bar code that lets the government track your movements.

More accurately, it's a QR code. A more advanced version of a bar code that allows users to take a picture of it with their phone and decode the message embedded in the code, usually a URL to the companies' website.

More accurately, it's a QR code. A more advanced version of a bar code that allows users to take a picture of it with their phone and decode the message embedded in the code, usually a URL to the companies' website.

that's just what they *want* you to think :ph34r:

I just updated my site with some info about the anniversary VF-1S V2 toy Yamato released. While I was at it I did some line art comparisons (thanks to the Macross Mecha Manual). The V2 toy does a pretty impressive job of replicating the line art in fighter mode:

Anniversary-VF-1S-V2-3.jpg

But notice how far back the tail section of the plane is supposed to go.

It the toy's tail section went as far back, it would mean that the backpack would sit way higher (like the old HCMs) than wat is somewhat flush to the 2 shoulder lights in battroid mode (line art is flush)

on the other hand the the beaver tail position would be closer to correct in Gerwalk and with the FAST packs on in fighter mode.

Yeah, I guess my point is that there's gotta be some sort of compromise related to the tail section. It was earlier remarked that the backpack looked too high in battroid mode for the Hi-Metal 1/100 (which is fair) but the point is that it kinda has to be too long or too short somewhere.

Yeah, I guess my point is that there's gotta be some sort of compromise related to the tail section. It was earlier remarked that the backpack looked too high in battroid mode for the Hi-Metal 1/100 (which is fair) but the point is that it kinda has to be too long or too short somewhere.

yeah, that back pack changes size and proportion to suit each mode in the anime in any case.

ill fitting parts in fighter mode, gouges in the back of the legs, wonky battroid proportions, fat gullet.

the 1/100 has those little snap in parts for the legs though, that's nice, makes it look better but it's also lacking landing gears (what's the excuse on a partsformer?) gun can't stow in fightermode, has gaps along the wing root and leg in fighter mode, a bulging back in fighter mode, poor fit between the shield and legs in fighter mode, mismatched color between parts.

and then there's just the annoying stuff like the hand selection and the typical web'sclusive bullshit.

If you don't care about fighter mode it's a great little figure. I personally consider the fighter mode more important than the battroid when it comes to valkyries and find vf-19 to be more than a little disappointing. But great for everyone that likes it and the line.

I'll be happy to pick something up that hasn't already been done 2 or 3 or 5 times before.

Actually.. I figured I'd take a chance on the Fire Valk since it was on sale, and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's kind of disappointing size-wise, but the ingenuity Bandai put into making this work is nice.

I think any problems seen with a bulging back, or gaps in the wing root are from mistransformation, because I don't see that at all. It's not perfect, but I very much prefer the shape of this one to the 1/60 YF-19. Even with the gullet it has, the nose is angled down to where the plane looks much better than the Yamato version.

It's not perfect I know.. the legs are spaced a bit too far apart in fighter, and the shoulders pop up far too much (actually.. really, the red shoulder pivots are just too small, but in this size you need that space for the mechanism). Plus the hand wonkyness, and no gunpod or landing gear.

What I really am hoping though is that Yamato will adapt some of the ideas put into this one, and make their own version a vast improvement over the YF-19. Between the two designs, I think all the ideas are there to produce an absolutely beautiful 1/60 Fire Valk, and I'll eagerly await to see what Yamato can come up with for that. :)

Oh nice, it's about one whole pound more then I just paid for the ex Gear Alto. :D

Ami Ami have extended the half off shipping offer too, now they just have to keep extending it til June. :lol:

Not gonna preorder just yet though, I'll wait and see what colours/variants Bandai has up it's sleeves first.

Is the Hi-Metal a whole new line? Should we have a seperate thread? Cuz I feel like collecting those and not the VF-25s...

I don't think Bandai officially announced anything, but by all indications the Hi-Metal line is a different line than the VF100 line. Hi-Metal is basically what the VF100 line turned into. How about changing the title of the thread to "Bandai VF100 & Hi-Metal"?

The cg VF-1 I made a while back featured such a compromise (albeit things like that are much easier to do in cg, but still, mine is a "realistic" model with no anime magic or part-swapping): I have a long beaver tail as in the lineart, and at transformation time, rather than just hinging over, it first moves FURTHER rearward on an armature extending out of the backplate/dorsal surface -- that way, the hinge sits lower on the back and the top of the tail section is still flush with the shoulder lights in battroid mode. If anybody cares, I could render a detail shot showing what I mean.