Bandai VF100's Official Thread Ver.2

Graham

Wait, no one commented about alternate "closed" faceplate? This looks nice, I might pick it up if the price is right. And who need landing gears if a display base if provided?

Not the whole display base, the part that attaches to the plane is included, but the base plate is not

EDIT: Double post. Stupid DSL.

EDIT 2: Fair enough. So Bandai's MO is to release a substandard product so they can release a better version later. That's only slightly better. :p

That's pretty much every company's MO. That's how they pay for R&D and keep selling you new products.

Can't wait for Graham's review..

Ok, I honestly have a hard time believing that. They gave you the entire stand, except the part that lets you actually stand it up?? That's ridiculous.

Agreed. But what kind of base that stand can connect to? Since it's Bandai maybe Action Base 1 (for MGs) or AB 2 (for HGs) will do? Or better yet, Alto EX-Gear base (since I just bought it)?. Guess I'll posing this guy in Battroid mode all the time...with that evil-looking closed faceplate ^_^

Agreed. But what kind of base that stand can connect to? Since it's Bandai maybe Action Base 1 (for MGs) or AB 2 (for HGs) will do? Or better yet, Alto EX-Gear base (since I just bought it)?. Guess I'll posing this guy in Battroid mode all the time...with that evil-looking closed faceplate ^_^

it's just a stand adapter to display it in fighter mode w/c will attach to the base of the Tamashii Stage Act Stands... Act 3 to be exact coz that's the clear one. you'd have to get one of those stands to use it although it's not very stable esp. w/ figures heavier than the normal MSIA/Robot Damashii or revoltech sized figs. they probably got it from Yamato including only stand adapters w/ the valks.. :blink:

EDIT - the attachment is just a hole and a peg... you could probably get some acrylic riser and drill a right-sized hole and make it work... although, it looks to me like it's a fixed-pose stand adapter so no banking poses in fighter mode w/ that. :mellow:

Edited by m0n5t3r

Or better yet, Alto EX-Gear base (since I just bought it)?.

That's a great idea! I'm going to try that when mine comes in next week. I don't use it for Alto so if it works for the VF-19 that would be perfect.

Ok, I honestly have a hard time believing that. They gave you the entire stand, except the part that lets you actually stand it up?? That's ridiculous.

No, it's true! Just look at the tray of parts, they only include connectors! WTF, right?

fl9b8h.jpg

:lol:

Hee. Anyway. The base used is the Tamashii Stage3 base, they come in a 3-pack for about $14 and are pretty nice overall display bases. Great for Robot Damashii figs, revoltechs, and other smaller toys. I wouldn't try to use 'em for a 1/60 or anything, but they're quite versatile overall.

Ok, I can live without the landing gear & the fists, but the fact that the gunpod can't attach in fighter mode is really unacceptable. What were Bandai thinking!? Otherwise, nice toy. Graham

Can't recall.... but in the Macross 7 series, wasn't the gun stored in the leg? Also, as someone else pointed out... I don't recall this particular valk ever using landing gear either. Maybe someone who has seen the series more recently can verify it. Finally, does anyone know how the gun stored on the regular vf-19's in fighter mode?

Can't recall.... but in the Macross 7 series, wasn't the gun stored in the leg? Also, as someone else pointed out... I don't recall this particular valk ever using landing gear either. Maybe someone who has seen the series more recently can verify it. Finally, does anyone know how the gun stored on the regular vf-19's in fighter mode?

Nah, the gun should be mounted in the same place on the VF-19 as it would be on the YF-19, VF-1, VF-0, etc...

EDIT 2: Fair enough. So Bandai's MO is to release a substandard product so they can release a better version later. That's only slightly better. :p

how does that make any sense at all?

The GFF metal composite is a 1/100 scale ABS and Diecast toy that costs 3 times as much as the all PVC 1/144 scale Zplus. Other than being representations of the same robot they are two completely different products targeted to different buyers.

how exactly does the former simply a "better version" of the other? Does that mean a 1/60 v.2 VF-1 is just a "better version" of the 1/55 chunkies? :rolleyes:

it doesn't matter if they never used the landing gear in the show. There's line art for it, the plane does have them, and so should the toy.

vf-19custom-fighter-landinggear.gif

it doesn't matter if they never used the landing gear in the show. There's line art for it, the plane does have them, and so should the toy.

I personally hate landing gears in toys this small, but I can see why some people are bothered by their absence. I Find the lack of extra hands more annoying, though.

Edited by nexxstrait

how does that make any sense at all?

The GFF metal composite is a 1/100 scale ABS and Diecast toy that costs 3 times as much as the all PVC 1/144 scale Zplus. Other than being representations of the same robot they are two completely different products targeted to different buyers.

how exactly does the former simply a "better version" of the other? Does that mean a 1/60 v.2 VF-1 is just a "better version" of the 1/55 chunkies? :rolleyes:

Too slow. Others have already filled me on on the differences in the GFF line. I made my statement because I thought the original poster was referring to the 1/144 GFF line. But if you insist...

How is the 1/100 scale VF-19 a "completely different product targeted to different buyers" versus the crappy VF100 line? Same scale, more or less the same price point, one release not even a year after the start of the previous line, by the same company.

Your comparison with the old Takatokus is specious. The 1/55 chunkies were made in the early 80s by a completely different and now defunct company. So it's nonsense to compare them to the current Yamato line.

How does that many any sense at all?

Edited by Lolicon

Basara did use landing gears as I recall. There's one scene where his valk backs out of a landing pad in fighter mode and launches. I think its the ep where Mylene gets kidnapped in the cargo container and then City 7 folds out under the Protodeviln control. I might be wrong though...

vinnie

OK, I got my Kai today. Overall, it is nice.

Transformation is not exactly a breeze because of all the adjusting you have to do here and there, in particular the chest-locking system (at least there is one, though!). Once it clicks, you know you've got it, but I imagine it will take a while to get used to.

Gerwalk is a disappointment, it has the same problems the DX 25 had, which is that the ankles do not rotate back far enough and the knees do not bend forward far enough, so it looks awkward. But still, better than the DX which just topples over because it does not even have ratchet joints in the ankles. At least the VF-19 does.

I find the problems in Gerwalk a bit more bizarre due to the fact Bandai so obviously ripped off and improved many engineering elements from Yamato in terms of transformation techniques, and improved upon them, but the decided not to copy their Gerwalk system. Bah, whatever.

I personally do not mind so much that there is no landing gear, though I agree there should be some. And yes, it was animated in the show in at least one episode, when they go on the "Mark Twain".

Poseability... OK. Not great, but this is the VF-19 we're talking about. The hips have always been and will always be problematic by design, as they are based firmly on anime magic.

Lastly, this is a partsformer, and as such it is a little tedious to transform what with all these damn tight little bits of plastic shooting across the room. One almost got me in the eye, I'm not kidding, if I hadn't blinked I'd be blind now. I'm probably not gonna bother with the leg pieces from now on. And the biggest problem is the gun-hand. It is really, really loose. It holds in the socket, but it does not stay in position and the gun more often than not just wants to droop upside down.

I realize I haven't said many positive things, but overall I am happy with the toy, it is just what I expected, a transforming Fire Valkyrie. That's enough. Is it worth the money? For me, yes. If you like the VF-19Kai, get this toy. It basically is to the Yamato 1/60 YF-19 what the 1/60 v2 VF-1 is to the 1/48: i.e. there are some new problems, but overall it is a revised and polished design, at a cheaper price point.

I have attached some some size comparisons. I got mine for Y5,500 and I find that to be relatively priced right, when you consider the prices of Yamatos. Also, it seems much larger (not to mention is a totally different kettle of fish) than a VF100s 25, although I do not own one, I have only seen them in shops.

I'm satisfied with what I got for what I paid (except for the lack of closed fists). A stand would have been nice, but I can live without one.

post-1318-1264327795_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1264327808_thumb.jpg

post-1318-1264327821_thumb.jpg

Either the Fire Valkyrie is selling really fast or only a few stores are carrying it in Hong Kong 'cause I don't see them much here. And yeah, the price is pretty steep, especially when you can get a stand alone 1/60 v2 VF-1 for less.

Either the Fire Valkyrie is selling really fast or only a few stores are carrying it in Hong Kong 'cause I don't see them much here. And yeah, the price is pretty steep, especially when you can get a stand alone 1/60 v2 VF-1 for less.

Been told that it is not stocked in large quantities.

Hello. newbie here, I always come to read, and I would like to contribute to this forum for the first time.

I just wanted to share my excitement cause I went akiba for my birth day today, get some fresh air away from the school and all that.

Any who I picked my vf-19 kai, and for me being the 19 my favorite Valkirye I have to admit I´m very peaky when it comes to this jet, but this is one of the best reproductons, it´s sleek, eazy to get if you understand yamato´s and its eaven cute looking.

But Honestly i have to addmit that Yamato´s is way better, the gulet seams to be eaven chubyer and bulkier, and as Mr. Graham well said it you can´t attatch the G-pod. And face it, a Valkyrie with out G-pod is like Ron Jeremy with out his... partner?-_-

And finaly we have to addmit bandai required some help to find out a way to transform this bird and yamato gave us all exactly that.

(Yes, my yamato is complete steady and unbreakable transformation after transfomation, maybe cause I love it hihi)

a Valkyrie with out G-pod is like Ron Jeremy with out his... partners ^_^

fixed that for you... ^_^

as for the gullet, the VF100 Kai's looks okay to me (coz it doesn't have integrated front landing gears)... w/c reminded me of someone suggesting Yamato should try swappable front landing gears for a YF/VF-19 redesign... i for one would like to see how that pans out...

QUOTE (ff95gj @ Jan 24 2010, 08:39 PM) *

Been told that it is not stocked in large quantities.

Seems to be the same case as the Ex Gear Alto

if this is the case and should Bandai make as many of these as the Ex Gear Alto (since i've heard that M7 is very popular in Japan)... i'm hoping the VF100 Kai will come up on Amiami at 35-45% off after a few months, just like the Ex Gear Alto... ;)

Edited by m0n5t3r

oh, sh!ts... i had a hunch they would do that! well, i'm pretty sure you'd be getting those exclusive sound boosters, at least now you'll get the fists w/ it... wait, does it say fists or just fist?

they could've posed it better... post-8437-1264382306_thumb.jpg

EDIT - mods proly deleted the hotlinked image... anyways, here's what ff95gj posted in his reply above ^

post-8437-1264388118_thumb.jpg

Edited by m0n5t3r

Basara did use landing gears as I recall. There's one scene where his valk backs out of a landing pad in fighter mode and launches. I think its the ep where Mylene gets kidnapped in the cargo container and then City 7 folds out under the Protodeviln control. I might be wrong though...

vinnie

There's definitely at least one, if not two episodes where we see Basara's VF-19Kai parked in fighter mode on its landing gear.

Graham

Here's my quick mini-review on Bandai's Hi-Metal VF-19 Fire Valkyrie, which I purchase last Friday (22 Jan 2010) on the second floor of the Oriental 188 Shopping Center in Wanchai for HK$499.:-

Box

First of all, I really like the box this toy comes in. It' a flip-top window box, which displays the toy in fighter mode. The box itself is extremely compact, which means easy to store, a definite plus here in Hong Kong shoe-box size apartments. Also, I find the box art and layout very visually appealing. Although opening the flip tip lid, you are presented with a fairly largest picture of Mylene in her flight suit, so anybody not familiar with Macross 7, might well jump to the assumption that she is the VF-19Kai's pilot!

The toy itself is packed in a two piece clear plastic tray, with the two-sided black and white instruction guide being packed in a separate clear plastic bag, packed under the tray.

Contents

1 x VF-19Kai Fire Valkyrie, packed in Fighter mode.

1 x black and white double-sided instruction sheet.

2 x head lasers (for Battroid mode).

1 x head fin (for Battroid mode).

1 x gunpod (for Battroid mode).

6 x rear leg parts (for Battroid mode).

1 x optional closed mouth face (for Battroid mode).

1 x stand adaptor (for fighter mode).

2 x open hands.

1 x gunpod hand.

Appearance & Detail

Despite not being 100% anime accurate in a few areas, most notable the knees and gullet, this is the closest we've come so far to a VF-19Kai that looks good in all three modes. Paint application, fit, finish and materials were generally top notch ion the one I purchased.

Although I should mention that there is some slight colour variation between the red plastic used in different parts of the toy, but this doesn't bother me at all. Also, some of the red plastic looks like they may have added some metallic powder into the plastic, to give it a more shiny or metallic finish. I especially noticed this on the lower legs. Anyway, it looks good.

Unfortunately, even though the toy has no front landing gear, the gullet still looks bigger than it should, but I can live with it. Compared with the older Bandai 1/65 scale transforming VF-19 Fire Valkyrie, the new Hi-metal is light years ahead in appearance.

Detailing on the toy is good, but not excellent. Certain features such as in-foot thruster detail, opening canopy, and removable intake covers are not featured, although given the size of the toy this is not unexpected. A nice detail touch from Bandai though is that they included plug in wrist covers for fighter mode, instead on just leaving us with open sockets. The inclusion of a painted Basara pilot figure is also nice, although at 1/100 scale it lacks much detail.

Transformation

Transformation is very similar to the Yamato 1/60 scale YF-19, although simplified is some areas. As noted, this toy is a parts-former, NOT perfect transformation, although the number of parts you need to remove or swap is far less than with the Bandai VF100s VF-25. If you are not too fussy about the appearance of the back of the Battroid's legs, you can further reduce the number of parts you need by just leaving some parts off.

So, to transform from fighter to Battroid, you need to remove just 3 parts from the fighter, these being 1 x neck cover and the 2 x wrist covers (left and right). To then transform to Battroid you need to add 12 parts, although as mentioned above, if you are not fussy about the appearance of the back of the legs, you can reduce this number to only 6 parts. The parts you need to add to transform from fighter to Battroid are: 2 x head lasers (left and right), 1 x central head fin, 2 x hands (left and right), 1 x gunpod and 6 x parts to fit on the pack of the legs (3 parts for right leg & 3 parts for left leg). The removable parts all snap into place very securely, and so far I have not found any parts that fall off easily. This is a big improvement over both Bandai's 1/60 DX VF-25 series (Super Packs I'm talking about you!) and the aforementioned VF100s VF-25 (many parts).

I suspect a lot of people will end up leaving the rear leg parts off in Battroid mode, just for convenience. Although the toy does look better with them on,it still looks acceptable with them off and to be honest, how often do you stare at the back of a robots legs?

As mentioned, the transformation is very similar to Yamato's 1/60 YF-19. The Bandai Hi-Metal VF-19 Kai shares the same method of folding the fighter nose and the same way of shortening the torso section, although this is easier to perform on the Bandai product as the unlocking is not as tight. The Bandai does not feature the complicated unlocking elbow of the Yamato, this is because the removable rear leg parts allow more space for a simpler elbow design. The way the hips/LERX slide up and down is quite innovative and the first time seen on a 19 toy.

If you are familiar with the 19 design, you will find transformation quite easy. There are no real difficult steps in the transformation process. The only minor difficulty I had was when transforming back to fighter mode, I could not get the right shoulder nacelle to lock down and it took quite a few minutes of minor adjusting to get everything in just the right place to accomplish this.

Joints and articulation and parts locking

Joints are firm but not overly tight, i.e. they can be turned/moved easily with light to moderate finger pressure, but do not need excessive force unlike some of Bandai's recent DX Frontier toys.

The toy will hold a pose well without any part sagging, even the wings will hold in horizontal position in Battroid mode, although I suspect like most 19 toys, the Battroid wing hinge may loosen over time.

Articulation is good for a toy of its size and it can be posed in some dynamic action poses. I especially liked the hinged shoulder nacelles, which can be angled up for a more aggressive pose.

For the first time ever, we have a 19 where the torso actually locks solidly together in Battroid mode. Actually, for me personally this is not a big thing as the 'unlocked' torso on the Yamato 19 never bothered me, as I always hold the Battroid by the leg or lower body, but I understand how it bugged some people.

I have not yet transformed the toy into Gerwalk mode, so can't yet comment on its articulation or posability in that mode.

Complaints

• No landing gear - while folding front landing gear may have been difficult to engineer without some compromises in a toy of this size, there's no excuse for not having removable front and rear landing gear.
  • No display stand - The toy comes with a stand connect for fighter mode, but no actual stand base, which I understand you have to buy separately. While other companies do this, also, notably Yamato, at least with Yamato toys you get landing gear. with the Bandai toy, you have no way to display it out of the box in fighter mode, unless you want it lying on it's belly in a simulated crash landing position. Oh well, luckily I've got some spare Flexi-stands.
  • No fists - toy only comes with only 2 x open hands ( left & right) and 1 right hand for holding the gunpod. It looks like fists will only come with the web-exlusive Sounder Booster set. Boo Bandai!
  • Gunpod can't attach in fighter mode - Really, this is what I dislike most about the toy. Really, it's a no-brainer that the gunpod should have been able to attach even it it required a separate detachable connector piece in order to do so. I really hope Bandai rectifies this for the upcoming Blazer Valks.
  • Price Point - A little on the high side, close to what you would pay for a Yamato 1/60 V2 VF-1 (without FPs).

Conclusion

Despite the above-mentioned issues I really like this toy. It's a nice handy size, locks together well, looks good, is not floppy, has decent articulation and so far doesn't seem to have any fragile parts. You can't really ask more from a transforming toy.

While I probably won't buy the Hi-Metal VF-1 (I've too many VF-1 toys already), I'll definitely purchase the upcoming Blazer and YF-19 and will be keeping a close eye on this line.

A Hi-Metal VF-171, VF-17, VF-2SS w/SAP or VF-0A/D/S with the same quality as the VF-19Kai would be sublime and a must-buy for me.

Graham