Bandai VF100's Official Thread Ver.2

Graham

I'm really having doubts on the VF100s. Just got the VF-25 Armor yesterday ( Got the VF-25 sometime back this is my 2nd VF100 ) the QC still seems bad as the paint job is not done nicely, worst the parts are loose. So loose I can't keep the legs apart and everything seems to fall apart whenever I tried to pose it. Giving it up unless it's cheaper or better QC in future.

I'm really having doubts on the VF100s. Just got the VF-25 Armor yesterday ( Got the VF-25 sometime back this is my 2nd VF100 ) the QC still seems bad as the paint job is not done nicely, worst the parts are loose. So loose I can't keep the legs apart and everything seems to fall apart whenever I tried to pose it. Giving it up unless it's cheaper or better QC in future.

If the parts are loose, I suggest using some glue or varnish to make it stiffer.

For ball-joints - a light application of superglue on the ball then moving the joint around so it won't freeze in one position. Eventually you'll feel it tighten.

For stick on parts like armor, some clear nail polish (or any kind of clear lacquer) on the connecting pegs will do the trick.

Edited by Vifam7

Thanks for the tips man, but I still think that it's overpriced for an item of this quality.

If the parts are loose, I suggest using some glue or varnish to make it stiffer.

For ball-joints - a light application of superglue on the ball then moving the joint around so it won't freeze in one position. Eventually you'll feel it tighten.

For stick on parts like armor, some clear nail polish (or any kind of clear lacquer) on the connecting pegs will do the trick.

the vf-19 looks good and a nice improvement from their old 1/100 model and 1/65 toy. damn i want a 1/72 and 1/60 version too.

Looks like a Family Mart (a chain of convenience stores) exclusive. The colors are Family Mart colors. I guess Family Mart wanted their own VF-25s. :lol:

The typical looking Family Mart store in Tokyo.

Screw the Family Mart version, gimme some Itashi Deculture customs and then we're talking!!! B))

WHAT? A VF-1 AS THE LAST RELEASE NO WAY OMG BANDAI MUST BE TRYING TO LOSE MONEY DSFGSGSG

I'm happy with that :D

Nah, just avoid direct competition with the Wave 1/100 VF-1 series that will be coming out soon.

The fact that the VF-19Kai has a metallic finish is the only way Bandai could get my money for that valk!!!

The BASTARDS did it so now I'm stuck.... <_<

Today, I visited C3, since I'm stopping over in Tokyo for a few days. Took a few pictures of some of the upcoming macross items at more unusual angles so that it'll give everyone a hopefully better idea of the product. Instead of opening up a new thread, I'm just gonna split up the photos and comments into the relevant threads.

First off, Basara's VF100 VF-19S:

IMG_0305.jpg

Size comparison to the Family Mart VF-25 repaint.

IMG_0301.jpg

There's been a lot of comments on whether the 'gullet' of the VF-19 is too large. I don't know how lineart accurate this is, but it's really not too bad. Note the part which fell open under the cockpit. The next few pictures may have inadvertently emphasized the gullet due to the angle.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

In this shot I tried to go as low as possible to have a better look at the underside. The hollow part behind the gullet looks a bit weird, perhaps due to the need to put on a stand? Also, note no gunpod shown while on the stand.

That said though, I think the VF-19S looks fabulous in person. There's a slightly gloss overcoat which really makes it stand out. And it actually looks really good next to the VF-25.

IMG_0292.jpg

Here's the queue for the Bandai C3 exclusives. Picked up the special coating VF-25 Ozma and Alto, Ozma's coating looks especially good. It's too bad that the sheryl stand only came with Alto, else I'd have skipped alto :p

Next up... the quarter pounder

Is that a sculpted Basara pilot in the cockpit? :o

I hope so. I find it very annoying when a company makes a mecha toy/model with a detailed cockpit, but there is no pilot figure.

I cringe every time I see a <Side KMF> with a cockpit that opens, only to reveal there is no pilot sitting in there.

Looks like the same gullet to the 1/60 YF-19 to me, despite its mistransformation.

Also it looks like the stand is obstructing the underside crotch armor piece from fully being moved into place.

Edited by Cent

Gullet looks the same as Yamato's YF-19 but there are less gaps on top atleast making it look much smoother and more seamless.

Its lightyears better then Bandai's old VF-19 thats for sure.

As for the pilot, at 1/100 i don't mind so much that there isn't one since its so small. If it was 1/72 or 1/60 it would be terrible.

Still a pilot would be nice.

Edited by thankheaven

I wouldn't be so quick to praise it yet. Shoulders in fighter are better cause of the larger shoulder caps, so it might be masking the problem. The hip section does indeed seem to hold more closely to the fuselage, but really, so does the yf-19, until it gets loose after a few transformations. And I'm noticing a hideous wing-root problem in fighter mode, as well as the knee caps not locking into place either. Possibly mistransformations, but we'll have to see.

One part that is definitely better is the panels that extend up to the head in fighter mode (in front of the shield). The coverage there is much better, so it doesnt leave a giant hole in your fighter.

What I kinda don't get with the head area... isn't the head supposed to be above those plates? Or was the VF-19 head area changed around significantly from the YF-19?

Gullet is pretty big after all.. but I don't get it. Even with it, I still like the proportions better than the 1/60. Maybe it's being masked by that loose panel, but it still seems a nicer shape overall.. Oh well, I'm weird. ^_^ The crotch plate probably is causing a few problems, but I really look forward to seeing some better views of this.

One thing that might help.. how bout now?

vf19mod.jpg

Edit: I think I may have realized part of what it is... Yes, this one may be the same thickness as the 1/60, proportion-wise.. but this one is wider. The leading edge design is obviously different that the YF-19, but it looks like it's much wider overall. Between the wider wing root pieces, different leading edge design, and wider shoulders, the wing pivots get pushed further out on this one. Mix that with bigger wings, and it the fuselage doesn't look so tall in comparison.

Edited by Chronocidal

What I kinda don't get with the head area... isn't the head supposed to be above those plates? Or was the VF-19 head area changed around significantly from the YF-19?

Gullet is pretty big after all.. but I don't get it. Even with it, I still like the proportions better than the 1/60. Maybe it's being masked by that loose panel, but it still seems a nicer shape overall.. Oh well, I'm weird. ^_^ The crotch plate probably is causing a few problems, but I really look forward to seeing some better views of this.

One thing that might help.. how bout now?

vf19mod.jpg

Edit: I think I may have realized part of what it is... Yes, this one may be the same thickness as the 1/60, proportion-wise.. but this one is wider. The leading edge design is obviously different that the YF-19, but it looks like it's much wider overall. Between the wider wing root pieces, different leading edge design, and wider shoulders, the wing pivots get pushed further out on this one. Mix that with bigger wings, and it the fuselage doesn't look so tall in comparison.

The head being under the plates makes for a cleaner, sleeker looking fighter. The head in fighter mode on the Yamato YF-19 is a huge eye sore IMO.

I can live with the intakes not sitting flush against the fuselage a lot better than I can with those big holes between the wing roots and the wings. The back of the fighter mode with the bulging shield and the way the shoulder extensions are handled... ugh. Yeah, it fixes a few of the problems with the yammie 1/60 yf-19 but it introduces many more to make up for any improvement in the gullet.

Who wants to take bets on what's going to be the next new VF in the VF100s line after the VF-19.

My bet is on the VF-4.

Although I'd be over the moon if it's a VF-17D/S.

Graham

I'd expect the YF-25 first to capitalize on what I suspect will be it's appearance in the movie (speculation), then possibly the VF-27 since they've already finished the cad work for the upcoming VF-27 kit.

I'm not sure if these pics are of a resin garage kit or an official bandai mock up...

post-3243-1251852759_thumb.jpgpost-3243-1251852772_thumb.jpg

post-3243-1251852785_thumb.jpgpost-3243-1251852798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zinjo

I'm not sure if these pics are of a resin garage kit or an official bandai mock up...

post-3243-1251852785_thumb.jpg

Can't read all the Japanese, the first line seems to mean "work in progress", but that's sitting on a 1/72 stand, so it certainly is not a VF100s, it's more like a model kit sized thing, anyway, Bandai never introduced a painted kit mock-up, only a cheap sculpt made out of some brittle off-white material. The Q-rea being a rare exception, so I am still puzzled if that actually was the model kit assembled or a painted sculpt.

(on the top of the photo there is a price tag and author's name...)

Edited by regult

I actually went from the 1/60 dx to the 1/72 model kits, simply because of all the problems I had with my 25-G.

The models look good, and since I do not "play" with them they have proven fairly sturdy. That being siad, wow I am getting tired of building the same model and putting on all those Eensy stickers.

I have started to look at the 1/100s as a solution to building a million models. My goal would be to have a normal fighter, super fighter, armored ozma and alto, and then battrods of all of them. I can't see me being able to put that many models together before I get blah on the whole thing.

I have now considered 1/100 normal fighters, with the other types being models. That would save me money over the Dx, and the time of building 4 or more fighters.

Right now they only have alto, ozma, and michael correct?

I am really liking the Vf-19! I really hope they expand on the mac 7 valks. I would love to have a Vf-17 and all the rest of the mecha from that series.

Anyway after the long ramble, what I am getting at, if displayed in fighter only mode, do the 1/100s look good/stay together on a display stand?

Thanks!

My models are all yet to be built to date, save the plain F, which is looking good in battroid mode, but would look even better in fighter mode! You're going to wrong way if you want to display 1/100s in fighter mode, the model kits really look much sleeker and faster, the 1/100s look very much like the 1/60 but smaller and made with a cheaper-looking plastic.

In battroid mode they could look sleeker than the DX version, so I honestly recommend 1/100 battroid, 1/72 fighter. Heck, I actually recommend 1/72 everything, but you have a point and I am really not there yet, 5 unopened boxes, it's insane!

I have VF100s S (*Ozma is the most solid of the trio) in fighter mode to show off the skull print on the back, and legs stay in place only thanks to bluetac. The F and G are both a floppy mess and hardly stay together on a stick. You're better off with the tiny landing gear provided.

Edited by regult

Bleah, Oh well.

I know what you mean with the models, as of now I have my Michael (w his superparts), Luca (with his superparts), armored ozma, and armored Alto all still in thier boxes...

Have completed Super pack Ozma, and Super Pack Alto so far. Its not that its that difficult or even all that time consumig to buld, but it does get repetative, and those darn stickers/decals, my god some of the 'lil white stickers for the armor packs are insane!

Looks Like I will just have to keep plugging away at them, perhaps they will toss out the 27 in time to break it up a bit :p

I actually went from the 1/60 dx to the 1/72 model kits, simply because of all the problems I had with my 25-G.

The models look good, and since I do not "play" with them they have proven fairly sturdy. That being siad, wow I am getting tired of building the same model and putting on all those Eensy stickers.

I have started to look at the 1/100s as a solution to building a million models. My goal would be to have a normal fighter, super fighter, armored ozma and alto, and then battrods of all of them. I can't see me being able to put that many models together before I get blah on the whole thing.

I have now considered 1/100 normal fighters, with the other types being models. That would save me money over the Dx, and the time of building 4 or more fighters.

Right now they only have alto, ozma, and michael correct?

I am really liking the Vf-19! I really hope they expand on the mac 7 valks. I would love to have a Vf-17 and all the rest of the mecha from that series.

Anyway after the long ramble, what I am getting at, if displayed in fighter only mode, do the 1/100s look good/stay together on a display stand?

Thanks!

If the line sticks around I'd expect to see either the VF-17 first or VF-171 after either one has been released. Essentially they are the same fighter except for the nose, so following one up with the other only makes economic sense. I am really curious to see how the VF-2SS (if ever released) sells? The 1/250 scale display fighters are fairly popular it seems.

The only custom I want to make (assuming Bandai doesn't do one first) is a VF-25A CF version. Though I am not sure if they are just basic tan colored or if they have striping like Micheal's 25G (black and white)?

If the line sticks around I'd expect to see either the VF-17 first or VF-171 after either one has been released. Essentially they are the same fighter except for the nose,

Err.....not really. While the overall silhouette may be similar, apart from the gunpod, the VF-17 and VF-171 share no identical parts. Toys of the two would require 100% different tooling.

Graham