Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

So is this the so called Yamato engineering that has come so far in these 8, 9 years foam?

LMAO man... I'm gonna wait a few month's on this release to see if there is a reissue that addresses this heat shield issue... That seems to be a common practice with yamato products... They know there will always be ppl willing to buy up all the lemons in the first release... It's kinda like beta testing software except you have to pay for all the content...

Maybe they should advertise it as an DIS-integrated heat-shield?
EPIC L O L!

Something I just thought of, is the foam attached pretty well? It would suck if you took the escape pod out, turned the toy upside down in fighter or battroid, and the foam fell out, then got vacuumed up on the carpet or floor.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Notice the arms stay rock steady and don't flop around at all, even when I'm turning the toy upside down.

Anything to worry about with shoulder hinges?

Yes, Graham. It is simple. I think you did not pull up the bottom part of the heatsheild enough. If you carefully do so to the maximum extention, then the bottom sheld should be locked. Please try and let me know the result.
Okay, I saw your youtube video. From what Yamato stated, I think there is supposed to be a detent that holds the lower half of the shield in place. For example, if you turned the toy upside down in battroid mode like you did in the video, then while upside down, pull the heatshield until it gets locked into place by a detent.

Now if there is no detent to keep it there...ouch...

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Good to know that that this issue is fixable.... albeit not so elegant an implementation.... :lol:

Now the concern is: Can the foam last?

Hm...... I'd better cut off a couple of small pieces from the DX packaging to to make spares! :ph34r::lol:

It's a different kind of foam. It's the very spongy type that does not disintegrate into little snowballs.

Just got paid and went on a lunchtime spending spree and picked up a second Yamato VF-11B. :D

Gotta have two, one to display in fighter mode, the second in battoid mode.

Even if my lower heatshield doesn't lock, there's still the blue-tack solution. :p

Graham

Just got paid and went on a lunchtime spending spree and picked up a second Yamato VF-11B. :D

Even if my lower heatshield doesn't lock, there's still the blue-tack solution. :p

Graham

Wow....u went ahead to get another despite the heatshield? :ph34r:

Now find out if this one has floppy heatshield as well. :p

Just sent another email to Yamato to confirm the exact situation about the two pieces of foam in the nosecone.

I'd assumed they were just to protect the escape pod and help keep it in position during transit, which is why I removed them from my VF-11B.

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but the VF-11B box is fairly compact by Yamato standards. It's about the same size as a non-FP 1/60 VF-1 box.

Graham

Graham

wow, another one plus a 2nd 25F!?!? :blink: how i wish i could do that...

Hey if it's simple and it works who cares!?!? If they had used a spring that probably would have eventually worn out and broken. At least with the foam you can replace if you lose it or if you manage to transform it enough to wear it out you can easily replace it. Sometimes the best Engineering solutions are the cheapest. :lol:

Hey if it's simple and it works who cares!?!? If they had used a spring that probably would have eventually worn out and broken. At least with the foam you can replace if you lose it or if you manage to transform it enough to wear it out you can easily replace it. Sometimes the best Engineering solutions are the cheapest. :lol:

Yep I agree with logos-- if the foam is actually part of the design, and not just the packaging, the engineering elegance of the solution just wows me and leaves me even more impressed with Yamato.

Graham

Curious to know what you guys are paying for these in Japan. :huh:

Yep I agree with logos-- if the foam is actually part of the design, and not just the packaging, the engineering elegance of the solution just wows me and leaves me even more impressed with Yamato.

Is that sarcasm? I can't tell. :huh:

i think he's seriously in love w/ the foam... :p

but yeah, whatever works... :)

The escape pod does not fit in there tightly. Shaking it when upside down will make it fall out. No locks or anything. Not even good friction hold.

@Alex

BTW, has the fit of the escape pod also been rectified by leaving the foam in?

Edited by m0n5t3r

i think he's seriously in love w/ the foam... :p

but yeah, whatever works... :)

@Alex

BTW, has the fit of the escape pod also been rectified by leaving the foam in?

Still loose if turned upside down but the nose of the pod does not slip down now.

And Graham, slipped my mind but did you notice if they included one of those photo-copied ammendments to the instructions concerning the heat-shield? Can't check mine right now.

What in the hell is Golden Week? I just ordered a boatload of shiggity from Over Drive. Maybe that explains why my order status is still pending... :huh:

I don't know either, but HLJ shipped mine yesterday via EMS. I should get it by Monday at the latest.

PANIC OVER

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just got home. Nearly 11pm here, but eager to try to figure out the heatshield issue.

First of all I took out the escape pod to give me better access to the lower heatshield and so I could get a better view of the mechanism inside the nose.

Then I pulled the lower heatshield up to maximum extension as per Yamato's advice. Met some resistance, but it still hadn't locked, so I pulled a bit harder and then heard a clear audible 'click' and voila! the lower heatshield is locked now in position.

Next, I pushed the lower heatshield back down to unlock it, inserted the escape pod back into the nose and then tried to pull the lower heatshield back up to the locked position. Now here's where it gets a bit tricky, as the lower heatshield is small, kinda slippery and with the escape pod in place, it's difficult to get much purchase.

There is a small lip on the top edge of the lower heatshield and you can use your finger nail on this lip, combined with grasping the sides of the lower heatshield to pull it up. It's a bit fiddly and may take a few attempts, but once you pull it up and hear that audible 'click', it is firmly locked.

And the best part..........this was done without the foam inserted. That's right, no foam at all!!!.

I am very happy now. :) :) :) :) :)

Two photos of locked heatshield attached.

Basically, what this means is that the heatshield is not actually supposed to lock where the two halves meet. Both upper and lower have thier own independant lock.

Graham

post-11-1241103045_thumb.jpg

post-11-1241103127_thumb.jpg

Cool!

Overdrive said that they where processing my order today. It's not shipped but at least I know they are working on it now! Starting to feel giddy with anticipation.

Dang, I was hoping the panic would continue for a while longer because I had almost bottled enough to power my home for a whole year. I could just tap into the swine flu panic but that kind of terror-sweat is a little too high-test. Good for dissolving glue, but too volitile to power every day appliances.

:p