Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

The heatshield looks a little different from the prototype pics.

post-10222-1240955893_thumb.jpg

The bottom half of the heatshield in the yamato pic has that bump at the top of it. In Graham's pic, the top half of the heat shield has a similar bump extending from the bottom. Is the bottom bump still there in the production version and if so, does that top half bump lock in underneath the bottom half's bump?

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Pic request! I want to see the back of the battroid, between the shoulder blades, without FAST packs. Been waiting months for a good pic of that area. I also want to see the gunpod attachment area in fighter mode. (this could very well be the same part, depending on how the toy is designed)

I'd be interested to see the final result also. Judging from existing pics, like this one, the back of the battroid looks more like it should be in the line art. If you look in the middle row, left pic, that part pointed to by the arrow should be folding down to cover the back. Also the gun seems to attach to the arms now like how it does on the VF-1 as you can see the grooves in the arms for the gun grip to attach to.

Well, Alex got his to lock, aso maybe he can fill us in when he is next on.

Actually...he didn't.

Ok.

So the lower portion of the heat-shield.....It did NOT lock, and slid back down to it's fighter-mode position when transforming it. Very annoyed by the floppyness of the over all escape-pod fit/heatshield locking.

Regardless....W A N T

He did:

Not to be a jerk, but no, he really didn't.

So the lower portion of the heat-shield.....It did NOT lock, and slid back down to it's fighter-mode position when transforming it. Very annoyed by the floppyness of the pver all escape-pod fit/heatshield locking.

Hopefully there's a trick to it.

Just waiting on OD for news of the toy. Let's see, if they ship today, I receive by Satuday, maybe. A work day, so that means I pick up on monday either way. Anyday like friday or so, hopefully I can pick up on my day off on tuesday. The wait is the hardest part (singing the Tom Petty).

A few quick pics I snapped this morning in my display cabinet before heading off to work.

In fighter mode, this is one sexy bird.

One other observation I forgot to post last night, on the negative side both the front and rear landing gear are nearly impossible to pull open by hand. I had to use a nail file to prise them open. Of course, this scratched some paint off the struts :unsure: .....silly me. Next time, I'll use a wooden toothpick to prevent the paint scratching. On the positive side, the landing gear lock open really well and are not likely to collapse by themselves.

I'm going to email Yamato next to ask about the heatshield issue.

Graham

post-11-1240968735_thumb.jpg

post-11-1240969011_thumb.jpg

post-11-1240969053_thumb.jpg

A few quick pics I snapped this morning in my display cabinet before heading off to work.

One other observation I forgot to post last night, on the negative side both the front and rear landing gear are nearly impossible to pull open by hand. I had to use a nail file to prise them open. Of course, this scratched some paint off the struts :unsure: .....silly me. Next time, I'll use a wooden toothpick to prevent the paint scratching. On the positive side, the landing gear lock open really well and are not likely to collapse by themselves.

Graham

How do I get into the weapons sale business sh it triples and doubles of everything !!!! COME ON!!!

This one is really nice especially in fighter mode from the pics. Although I want it and will get it, I have a couple more 1/60's to pick up before I cop this. B-day coming up so I'm sure the misses will come through with something so there's a chance I might get from her. If so, I should be all caught up. Here's hoping I receive this one next month! :unsure:

Graham, Alex or whoever else has the VF-11B already... is there any merit to my observation on the previous page regarding the little bump on the heat shield? link to post

Looks like it should lock in underneath. Mine does not even come close. It also looks like they intend the pressure of the canopy underneath to hold them in place. I'm concerned that the constant pressure will lead to cracks in the canopy.

I was able to get the canopy to stay in Battroid mode but it eventually slipped back after half an hour standing on my shelf.

Seems Graham got the better one as the escape pod on mine is pretty darn loose. Holding it upside down, the escape pod stays in but swings half-way out. it also constantly slips out of place in fighter mode so when displaying it I have to make sure that the front end does not dip. really frustrating. maybe it's just mine.

I have to balance some of this negative observation with the fact that all-in-all, this is a great toy. it's solid, looks awesome. I love all the little hidden switches that open up the panels. The hidden panels that fill up the gaps in Gerwalk were a nice touch.

Edit

Almost forgot, Graham, do the feet on yours have any problems? The front foot has a hinge in the middle but mine is super springy which makes standing a little tricky. haven't opened it up yet to see if I can improve things.

Edited by Alex

Looks like it should lock in underneath. Mine does not even come close. It also looks like they intend the pressure of the canopy underneath to hold them in place. I'm concerned that the constant pressure will lead to cracks in the canopy.

I was able to get the canopy to stay in Battroid mode but it eventually slipped back after half an hour standing on my shelf.

Seems Graham got the better one as the escape pod on mine is pretty darn loose. Holding it upside down, the escape pod stays in but swings half-way out. it also constantly slips out of place in fighter mode so when displaying it I have to make sure that the front end does not dip. really frustrating. maybe it's just mine.

I have to balance some of this negative observation with the fact that all-in-all, this is a great toy. it's solid, looks awesome. I love all the little hidden switches that open up the panels. The hidden panels that fill up the gaps in Gerwalk were a nice touch.

Edit

Almost forgot, Graham, do the feet on yours have any problems? The front foot has a hinge in the middle but mine is super springy which makes standing a little tricky. haven't opened it up yet to see if I can improve things.

hahahahahahahara harhar hahahaa

ah gotta love yamamie

sorry I feel your pain

Thanks for all the sharing.

I am still struggling with the VF-11B. The fighter mode looks great, but I've seen some not-so-good ones for the battroid mode.

As a B mode guy, I am waiting for more pics...

have you seen this one - http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&id=66241

it's the best one so far! LOL :lol:

EDIT - looking at the head, it's good that they went for the more transparent looking green for the visor rather than the dark tinted ones on the v.2 VF-1s.

Edited by m0n5t3r

I really wanted to get this on the first run but a heat shield that cant stay shut pretty much making battroid retarded looking is a big issue in my book.

I'm sure graham played around with it to keep it up and for him to resort to addressing it with yamato isn't giving me any confidence either.

I'll take a v2.1

(not panicking :) )

yeah, and taking into account Yamato's track record, this heatshield issue might be addressed only on the 2nd or 3rd run of these. i'm still hoping though that this is an isolated issue. if not, i may have to reluctantly pass on this for now... being a buy 1 only/no multiples type collector, i can't really say "i'll get one now, display it in f-mode, then get another one later when its fixed." damn, i really wanted to complete my mac+ display sooner rather than later.

Graham

I hope Yamato is able to provide some sort of instruction on how to get the heat shield to lock. I find it hard to believe that they could come up with all these clever ways to do stuff like implement the integrated heat shield on the VF-11 and then frak it up by forgetting something so basic as making it so that the heat shield can stay in place. I mean look at the YF-21. Not only did they find ways to do stuff like hide the arms and the shoulders and make the nose shorter in battroid, they also engineered it well pretty much every step of the way. Very solid in fighter with no creaking or things coming loose and everything stays in place in battroid mode very well also. Also has the best looking poseable hands Yamato has ever made on a Macross toy and probably has the best grip on the gunpods as well. Sure it took a little while for people to find that you could lock the chest down as people had complained it flopped around. It turned out that it did have a way to lock it down. So I'm hoping this is the case here with the VF-11's heat shield and just no one has found out the correct way yet. *crosses fingers*

I'm pretty sure it has to do with some part of the heatshield not moulded correctly or something, like the shallow tabs?

The top half of the heat shield does not even like to stay in place and pops outwards, so there's even less for the bottom section to clip under.

One thing though, Graham, I think you mentioned the hands on yours do not grip the gun-pod very well? Mine are solid. If anything, they make it a little hard to get the gun-pod out. That's how firm the grip on mine is. Kind wish that this bird had the same double-jointed elbows featured on the V.2 VF1.

Edited by Alex

post-8267-1240991935_thumb.jpg

Hmm... After looking at that heat shield the way it sits over the cockpit it doesn't look very appealing ne more... The fact that the heat shield does not appear to lock in place is a major deal breaker for me. I really do hope this is an isolated case or that there has been a last minute fix in the production... That heat shield is an eyesore, especially for a 200 dollar toy...

post-8267-1240991935_thumb.jpg

Hmm... After looking at that heat shield the way it sits over the cockpit it doesn't look very appealing ne more... The fact that the heat shield does not appear to lock in place is a major deal breaker for me. I really do hope this is an isolated case or that there has been a last minute fix in the production... That heat shield is an eyesore, especially for a 200 dollar toy...

In all fairness, in that pic the lower half of the heat-shield is totally fallen down.