Macross Magazines

yellowlightman

I'm a big fan of magazines, which means I tend to buy way more than I should. Most of my stuff is back in the US, but here's a few magazines I've picked up here in Japan.

post-22-1235899970_thumb.jpg

A few issues of Ji (Z?) Anime, picked up in a random used book store. All are from 83-84, and feature Macross, Southern Cross and Orguss. Coverage isn't that great, as it's just typical new anime stuff so some lineart we've seen a thousand times by now and some screen shots. The smaller books are supplements. The Orguss one on the left is a collection of lineart, some story digest and some interviews. The thing in the middle is a set of cassette tape labels with Macross pictures on them, which seemed to be a pretty common supplement back then. The Macross Blueprints is just line art from the TV series, nothing special.

post-22-1235900135_thumb.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the old B Club magazine, and I've been collecting a lot of them for old ARTMIC (Bubblegum Crisis, Gall Force, etc) coverage. Save just helped me find these issues today, as they're the ones that cover Macross II. The Bandai Model Journal on the right has a bunch of pictures of the B-Club VF-2 resin kit, plus some line art.

post-22-1235900247_thumb.jpg

More B Club issues. The one on the left is just a robot anime retrospective issue, doesn't include much about Macross save for the VF-1S on the cover. Issue on the right covers Macross 7 and Macross Plus right around the time they were first released. There's a feature on the CG production on Plus with some photos I haven't seen elsewhere.

Didn't bother to take pictures of my Macross Chronicle stuff since everybody knows what that looks like anyways. Post up your magazines!

Didn't even think of posting mags, good idea. I picked these up at the Mandarake in Fukuoka. I would have bought more but these things are heavy.

Animage 1983

post-3328-1235922605_thumb.jpg March 83 issue with Macross Collection supplement

post-3328-1235922616_thumb.jpg May 83 issue with Macross Gal's Book supplement

post-3328-1235922624_thumb.jpg June 83 issue with Lupin supplement & Macross double sided poster

post-3328-1235923378_thumb.jpg July 83 issue with Macross trump card deck and case

post-3328-1235922632_thumb.jpg Oct 83 issue with Orgus Guide Book supplement

Edited by Save

Animage 1984

post-3328-1235924283_thumb.jpg June 84 issue with Macross / Votoms Joint Book and Giant Gorg Book supplements

post-3328-1235924289_thumb.jpg Oct 84 issue with Minmay Did You See Love Book supplement and Lupin poster

post-3328-1235924300_thumb.jpg Dec 84 issue with Macross Goodbye Book supplement

Didn't even think of posting mags, good idea. I picked these up at the Mandarake in Fukuoka. I would have bought more but these things are heavy.

Animage 1983

March 83 issue with Macross Collection supplement

Save, would you be willing to share scans of the Collection Supplement? I've seen pictures of it, and its got some neat little things in this.

• 5 weeks later...

Forgive me if this is off-topic, but if you've been following the Ohnogi/Frontier thread, you know that Hiroshi Ohnogi wrote seven Macross short stories for Animage and Out magazines between '86 and '88.

Problem is, I can't seem to find which issues they are.

Does anyone here have any of them?

According to the source, there may actually be more short stories than that They were supposed to have been published in the magazines Animage and Out in between 1986-1988. He said that "technically, every issue should have a couple of pages" written by him. Though that might be an exaggeration. I'm still trying to get info on the 10 examples that he said he had.

Didn't see this anywhere, but it could be one to get:

From ANN

The Satelight anime studio has announced on Tuesday that it will offer its Macross F Official Creator's Magazine Nyan-cretto File 1 publication again for general sales. The issue includes materials from the various staffers of Macross Frontier, the 2008 television sequel to the Macross science-fiction romance franchise. Series creator Shoji Kawamori, character designer Yûichi Takahashi, series script supervisor Hiroyuki Yoshino, mechanical designers Junya Ishigaki and Takeshi Takakura, mechanical artist Hidetaka Tenjin, CGI director Hiroshi Yagishita, CGI animator Eiji Inomoto, and others contributed to the issue. Character designer Risa Ebata drew the cover illustration of the story's singers Ranka and Sheryl.

The first issue of this magazine was previously sold at Satelight's booth at last week's Tokyo International Anime Fair 2009. More details about the magazine's reissue will be provided on Satelight's website. The magazine name "Nyan-cretto" is a wordplay on a Japanese word for "girl" or "meow" (娘 or "nyan") that frequently appears in Macross, and a Japanese word for "secret" (秘 or "hi").

This magazine will be the third ongoing Macross magazine in Japan. Kadokawa Shoten published the inaugural issue of its Macross Ace manga magazine this past January. Shogakukan and We've, Inc. have been releasing Macross Chronicle, a biweekly reference publication devoted to the Macross franchise, since last July.

Not sure when it's coming out but it might help settle the who was responsible for what story threads thing.

Didn't see this anywhere, but it could be one to get:

From ANN

Not sure when it's coming out but it might help settle the who was responsible for what story threads thing.

Nope is it basically an official dojinshi with art by all the people who worked on the show. There is some unused designs which is cool but it is mostly character stuff.

Nope is it basically an official dojinshi with art by all the people who worked on the show. There is some unused designs which is cool but it is mostly character stuff.

Hmmm...sounds like it might be kinda the Frontier version of the Macross Attack Team. Could be worth checking out...

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...