Been away for far too long.......need some info

williwoods

ok so its been almost 2 years maybe longer.....and oh my lucky for my bank account I didnt know all the wonderfull things happening on the yamato and bandai etc... front, macross frontier......whats this?

anyway so I am about to make my first couple of purchases and its quite hard trying to catch up with everything that has happened while I was away.

number 1: my sons 11th birthday is on saturday, he really wants a macross toy, we will be at f&s this weekend. my question is of all the macross toys (valks) out now which is most suitable for an 11 year old? my first feeling is the bandai vf-25 dx is more than likely the most sturdy. Are the dx's at f&s?? Any yamato's like the zero or 19 or 22 that would be better or make a suggestion for an 11 year old macross fan.

number 2: I want to buy a v2 1/60 scale valk with strike parts while im at f&s which one is the newest one that is out? hikaru 1s? I want to buy the latest gen one that has the most recent qc adjustments. Not a big fan of the tv schemes or hikaru 1j so I am kinda sticking to DYRL ones for now.

I wish there was a timeline somewhere with details of what was released when etc......

should I wait on the v2 valks and go for a zero or 19 or 22 instead of the v2 1/60? I feel like I need some direction too many (never enough) toys out there right now. Help me out im drowning!!!

Will

Can't speak for the Bandai Macross Frontier toys as I do not own any of them. But I allow my 7 year old son to "play" (and I mean actually play) with my v2 macross 1/60 toys. They're not to really be toyed with in my opinion because they really are model toys, but they are sturdy and tight enough for him to "whoosh" around the house with them without me worrrying about breakage.

Can't speak for the Bandai Macross Frontier toys as I do not own any of them. But I allow my 7 year old son to "play" (and I mean actually play) with my v2 macross 1/60 toys. They're not to really be toyed with in my opinion because they really are model toys, but they are sturdy and tight enough for him to "whoosh" around the house with them without me worrrying about breakage.

my plan is to let him actually transform it. The shoulder issue has me worrying about the v2 1/60 toys..........he is going to get a little rough with them and I want it to be his rather than something I buy for myself to let him play with.

my plan is to let him actually transform it. The shoulder issue has me worrying about the v2 1/60 toys..........he is going to get a little rough with them and I want it to be his rather than something I buy for myself to let him play with.

I can't say that I would let my son transform a $100 plus toy with the possibility of him breaking it. I only let my son "whoosh" them around in fixed poses. I let him do it only because he gets a feel for taking care of his toys. My son is only 7, but has "collect" confused with "taking care" of his toys. He "collects" his Transformers around the playroom when he is actually displaying them. Your son being 11, I think he might be a little more advanced and ready, but only you can answer that one.

MM

Graham mentioned that the v2 VF-1's after the VF-1D will have a thinner pin for the shoulder hinge... you might want to wait and get those instead... :)

EDIT - if you want to get a 0S, make sure its the latest (Dec '08) re-issue... you can tell by the extra padding (bubble wrap and cardboard) at the back of the valk to prevent bent tailfins... i've had a chance to handle a floppy 0S and the new one is tight, almost as tight as the new v.2 VF-1's.

Edited by m0n5t3r

Well, welcome back to the board and welcome to the money pit.

First I need to ask, what is F&S? I honestly don't know what store that is.

Anyways, with the VF-1's the hiki 1S is the newest out with strike parts. They are coming out with DYRL style Max and Kakizaki 1A's and a Max 1S next month, and you can buy strike parts separate for the new 1/60s so you might want to weight and get one of those. all v.2 1/60's should be free form defects as of the VF-1S hiki though so it's down to which color and head you like really.

Personally I have to recommend the YF-21 though, it is absolutely amazing. They're beautiful looking toy and it's free of any major QC concerns, definitely something to get.

(personally I got my YF-21 months ago, and I'm waiting for the Max -1S to start getting into the v.2)

As for you're son, I wouldn't personally recommended any of Yamato's transforming toys for a kid. they're not nearly as fragile as people claim, but they definitely aren't meant to be manhandled regularly.

The DX is a bit better, but it is a 12,000 yen toy. If he wants a transforming toy, I guess it would fit the bill. If you're willing to look at non transforming, the Yamato GN-U figures are nice, they're bigger, more robust, and nicer looking (in my opinion) than the Revoltech's but still fairly small and cheap.

Bandai also has the VF100 line, their partsformers but they're cheaper than the DX. The first one is either already out or out within the next couple days.

you know, I'd honestly say one of Bandai's Origin of Valkyrie toys would be a good bet. they're still just as indestructible as they were back in the 80's and those were made for little kids.

I can't speak for the V2 1/60's as I don't have any (yet), but the last time I was at F&S I saw the new Hikaru 1A there.

As for your son, I'd recommend the Bandai 1/55's to anyone. What they may lack in line-accuracy they more than make up with in sturdiness and just sheer fun. I know you can find the reissues at F&S for a reasonable price. If you can find the VF-25's there now they are also a tough wearing toy generally, although my heart goes out to the few people on these boards who have experienced some broken shoulder screws and one poor chap also had a broken hip bar, but these seem to be rare cases (so far). The DX's are a bit steeper in price but they are still a load of fun.

Happy hunting!

that vf100 vf-25f looks exactly like the DX. With high hips and lack of ankle guards and all. It is a partsformer right? And they still couldn't get it to look right? If they are fragile, then its even worse than the DX. -_-

Like Mitch said the Bandai 1/55s. While they lack detail and I think they are fugly (I know some love them) you can't deny all the metal parts in the thing. Get your son the Bandai 1/55 vf-1 (which he should have a pretty hard time destroying) and get yourself the Yamato 1/60 Vf-1. :)

Yes this statement was brought to you by a childless selfish bastard! :lol:

Edited by logos

okay good feedback guys. keep it coming.

He has my old jetfire already, he is really in love with the vf-25 so if he sees it, its gonna be hard to pass up, however, he also likes the alpha and beta's and the ride armors from mospeada. Are any of those a good choice? any mospeada toys that should be avoided at all cost like the 1/72 vf-11?

as far as letting an 11 year old transform a 100 dollar toy.......... he understands about taking care of his toys as much as one could hope. and part of it is to keep him outta my stash, the boy needs his own. these are not the vf's you have been looking for! I just really dig making him super stoked, taking him to frank and sons is gonna blow his mind. I guess the sappy part of it......please excuse me, is I am doing what I didn't get when I was a kid.

anyway,

the vf-21 is pretty damn hot huh......so is the vf-0, but I cant really spend that much on myself this go around. I hope the 19, 21 and 0 will still be around once I can get fluid $$, got a new good paying job just need to catch up after being laid off for 3 weeks.

Why don't you get him some of the Bandai Origin of Valkyrie 1/55 reissues? Those are perfect for kids I think.

The VF-25 is also kid friendly, but it's rather expensive and the Ozma lasers are bent and they're ugly. At least the Chunky Munkys don't suffer any such faults. They are chunky and retro - but that's not a fault.

Although...I guess he could break the backpacks off of those if he tried....

Hm...

Kids...and Macross..hmmm.... I don't have kids.

My girlfriend has a 10 year old daughter and I got her DX Yotsuba summer set for her birthday.

Pete

What made you decide to step out of this for 2 or more years?

A variety of reasons..........mostly I was just taking a break from it. I think my wallet needed a break. Plus I got pretty into legos with my son and his interest in that is starting to wane.

any feedback on the alpha beta and ride armor toys? are any of them not suitable for him? I know of the cms megahouse and toynami versions.........any one of these really fragile?

If your son's good with them get him a Yamato VF-1 1/60. Just avoid the VF-1S which seemed to have the most breakages (I have cracks on both my shoulders but I still love the thing). Get him the VF-1J or the VF-1D. They are probably the cheapest Macross toys you can get right now (besides the Bandai chunky). Check out this thread about ordering replacement parts from Yamato. Should give a good idea of what to do if you do get into trouble with a Yamato.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27901

I wouldn't buy him the YF-21. Very expensive and it's not exactly easy to transform but seems to be durable. Well at least as durable as I want to get with a $200 toy/figure :ph34r:

Also look at getting your kid the new Yamato Destroids. The Defender and the Tomahawk are pretty tough in my books and I love them! Here's a link from overdrive. OD greens are the best.

Defender

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...roducts_id=1184

Tomahawk

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...products_id=990

Edited by logos

If your son's good with them get him a Yamato VF-1 1/60. Just avoid the VF-1S which seemed to have the most breakages (I have cracks on both my shoulders but I still love the thing). Get him the VF-1J or the VF-1D. They are probably the cheapest Macross toys you can get right now (besides the Bandai chunky). Check out this thread about ordering replacement parts from Yamato. Should give a good idea of what to do if you do get into trouble with a Yamato.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27901

I wouldn't buy him the YF-21. Very expensive and it's not exactly easy to transform but seems to be durable. Well at least as durable as I want to get with a $200 toy/figure :ph34r:

Also look at getting your kid the new Yamato Destroids. The Defender and the Tomahawk are pretty tough in my books and I love them! Here's a link from overdrive. OD greens are the best.

Defender

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...roducts_id=1184

Tomahawk

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...products_id=990

the yf-21 would be for me I am aware of the difficulty of transformation........I was thinking maybe the vf-0 for him......maybe.........man I am getting psyched for saturday....

Will

VF-0s good. I have one and do not have the exploding shoulders that some report. Beware that it gets a bit floppy after awhile. I would say the the VF-1s are a more sturdy toy though.

... Plus I got pretty into legos with my son and his interest in that is starting to wane...

How about getting him the 1/72 Bandai model kit? You can start him on the joys of kit building.

It's snapfit, comes with stickers, and when completed it transforms into all modes.

Mmm, a little constructor...i think your child is learning to take care of things-collection,

you can try with Bandai 1/72 VF-25 Kits, if it works, the kid will have hours of "economic" fun

Edited by alfye

Mmm, a little constructor...i think your child is learning to take care of things-collection,

you can try with Bandai 1/72 VF-25 Kits, if it works, the kid will have hours of "economic" fun

yeah you should see his sw lego collection, i really spoiled him........its funny he rarely plays with the sw legos just leaves em on the shelf and gets really mad if any of his friends want to play with em.....its pretty funny actually.

the model might be the ticket............

still need mospeada toy feedback from someone though....

and again regarding chunky monkeys....he already has one.....I think he wants something different and a little more modern looking.....but it is the obvious choice.

please note that on the yammie boxes it says 15+

get him a 1/48. they are sturdy enough to play with. if you go with the 1/60 v2 that would be a similar transformation to the 1/48. they 1/60 are more solid. I wouldn't recommend a 21 or 19 yet. since they are more finicky to transform

the megahouse mini mospeada is also good. just a little part swapping. the 21 is wayyy nice but too fragile and dropping it at the right angle willl break it fast. that's 210 + out the door. And over-drive-inc.com will offer replacement parts if your son breaks a part. it can be fixed. so yammie's are the best for the buck.

don't come back into collecting it'll depleat your wallet.

thanks for the comments, please again note I am not going to buy a vf-21 or vf-19 for him those I would only consider for myself too much money for an 11 year old kid.

Will

here are some reviews (ozuma bandai)

http://www.collectiondx.com/review/chogoki...rie_ozma_custom

1/60 vf-1s

http://www.collectiondx.com/review/macross...s_hikaru_ichijo

http://www.collectiondx.com/taxonomy/term/309