Weights / ballasts for 1/72 Hasegawa Valkyries

Loki

I'm pretty new to modelling & I was wondering what people here used (thats easy to find) as weights / ballasts inside the nose cone of a Hasegawa Valkyrie?

Best thing to use is lead fishing weights they come in all sorts of sizes and can easily be cut up. Alternatively use lead shot type weights, the kind that fishing types squeeze onto the line. They are cheap and if you mix em up with epoxy or glue you can get them to stick in and stay put.

I've used Shotgun shells, well the buckshot that's inside anyway. Had some lying around (don't ask) so I just cut open the jacket and removed the buckshot. Lots of 3mm or so lead balls worked great in my Hase. Gerwalk conversions. Just dropped in where I wanted (nosecone, fastpack front end, and front portion of feet) squeezed in some CA and Bobs your uncle. So, if you just happen to have some shotgun shells lying around that you don't plan on using - well you're all set! :ph34r:

Edited by Chas

The position I wanted the model in required weight in the nosecone, without it the model tended to tip backwards. Simple as that.

Gotcha. I was watching a model buiding presentation, but it was in Japanese. He put weights in his model kit, and I didn't understand why. He used fishing line weights as well. Thanks, now I know (and knowing is half the battle... G.I. Jooooooooeee!!!) :)

I've used Shotgun shells, well the buckshot that's inside anyway. Had some lying around (don't ask) so I just cut open the jacket and removed the buckshot. Lots of 3mm or so lead balls worked great in my Hase. Gerwalk conversions. Just dropped in where I wanted (nosecone, fastpack front end, and front portion of feet) squeezed in some CA and Bobs your uncle. So, if you just happen to have some shotgun shells lying around that you don't plan on using - well you're all set! :ph34r:

or you can go out and buy either No. 5 or No. 6 birdshot so you don't have to mutilate perfectly good shotgun shells. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8

or you can go out and buy either No. 5 or No. 6 birdshot so you don't have to mutilate perfectly good shotgun shells. ^_^

Well what else is there to do with them? :rolleyes::huh::unsure::lol:

Chik-chik

Ever read "To Kill a Mockingbird"? Here's how:

BUNCHIK!

Craw!

plop

Maybe it's because I'm Texan, but shotgun shells are really useful.

Oh, Well that explains it. Up here in Canada they just end up lying around cluttering the place up. So we wind up doing all sorts of things with them, you know like arts and crafts kind of stuff - instead of glitter, or in scrap-booking to add some 3-d elements. I once had this gay friend who. . .uummmm :unsure: well nevermind I'm going OT anyway.

Am I right in thinking that in Canada Guns are for display and in Texas the idea it to try and wear it out through use, while in the U.K we all just sit arround and wonder what it would be like to own one and not be a criminal.