DX EX-Gear Toy Thread

edwin3060

Hi All,

Long time lurker on these forums, and thought I’d give my thoughts on the DX EX-Gear I just picked up tonight. First time I’ve done a review on a toy (or even post here for that matter), so if there’s anything I might have missed that member’s here are interested in knowing, please do let me know.

To be honest, as most would agree, it’s a little pricey. I didn’t think I would even buy it to be honest (around HKD $520-540 in most shops here in HK as mentioned previously), but I thought I would take the plunge, as I am mainly collecting Alto related toys and couldn’t resist having it next to my DX armored VF-25F.

First thoughts, it feels very similar to the Saint Seiya Myth Cloth line (not surprising being Bandai and all). However, the figure with all the armor on is quite light, since it’s mostly made of plastic. From what I can see, only the front leg armor plates that open up, chest armor braces and the rear part of the crotch armor (the part connect to the backpack) are diecast.

Paint and marking application is quite well done, though the chest SMS logo on my Alto figure has a minor scratch on the red circle part. Not sure if I did this myself trying to put the chest armor on as it’s a pretty snug fit, so a word of caution to anyone thinking of picking this up. I noticed a chip on the diecast parts of the groin area as well, so again something to watch out for. I can also see I've lost a chunk of paint on the inside here as well, having removed the chest/back armor to write this review. This naturally would have been caused by the rubbing of the figure and the crotch armor, most likely when I transformed it into the cockpit mode.

Armor itself fits quite well, and still allows freedom to do some cool poses without being cumbersome (unlike the Saint Seiya figures, which is hampered by the heavy die cast armor that tends to fall off quite often). If you clip the pegs inside the shoulder armor to the Alto’s shoulders however, you can’t really pose the arms at the shoulders (since they are connected to the backback, and restrict the movement). The pegs also tends to pop Alto's shoulders off as well should you move the shoulder armor, so these pegs are really are abit of a hinderance. At least ratchet joints were used on the shoulder armors hinges (on the joint where they are connected to the backpack). I’m glad the designers did this, as you can disconnect the shoulder armor and pose the figure’s arms, and the shoulders won’t just rest onto Alto’s shoulders, or flap about too loosely. Bonus points to Bandai there.

One gripe I do have though, the crotch armor on mine kept popping out while trying to pose the figure. This isn’t to say it’s very loose and will drop off if you breathe on it, as it has a peg on the bottom connecting it to the armor, and a clip that latches onto Alto’s waist. It’s not a terrible design and I think it only pops off from moving the legs and waist around, so I can live with it. Another thing, even though the instructions says the fit the arm armor with the clenched hands holding the joysticks, I found it to be too tight a fit and just removed his hands altogether to fit the armor, as I worry if i force it, it might scratch the light gray areas on Alto's hands.

Transformation into the cockpit mode is straight forward, with the final setup being quite solid and kibble from the chest armor and wings folding away nicely. Don’t really have much to say here; it’s a nice gimmick and all, but prefer to keep it in armor mode.

Accessories are decent and what we've come to expect in such toys (swappable hands for the armor and Alto, gun, stand), but I particularly like the set of hands provided to do the “hand-airplane” sign, as well as the salute. Also liked the material/paint used to make the gun, which gives it a gun metal feel. The extra hand provided to hold the gun fits really well also, so there shouldn’t be any issues with it falling off or having it sag at weird angles.

Helmet is nicely detailed, though mine has some very light fading on a section of the helmet (on the white/grey colour). I do wish the face inside the helmet could be removed (putting the helmet on Alto requires a head swap), as I’d like to pose him holding the helmet. It seems kinda weird with a face in there, lol. The plastic used for the visor is quite dark, and it's actually quite difficult to see his face, so you’d probably get away with this kind of pose. At least with the head swap method, you won’t have to worry too much about scratching the face had the helmet been designed to actually fit around the head, like the Saint Seiyas. The way it's put together though, with some custom work, the face in theory could be removed if anyone is inclined. Certainly not going to attempt it though.

The stand provided has a nice clear, glossy finish on the SMS letters that make it stand out, and consists of 3 joints (2 for up-down movement, the other for sideways tilting). A ratchet joint is used for the up-down joint so it’ll hold the figure up quite nicely in flight poses, However, the 3rd joint (side to side tilting) isn’t a ratchet joint, but it’s tight enough (for now at least). They probably could have shoehorned in a 3rd ratchet joint IMHO.

All in all, I’m quite pleased with the DX EX-Gear. Still, can’t see where the hefty price tag is justified, and was honestly expecting something with more die cast at this price. I’d probably find myself worrying about paint scratches if it did anyway, so I’m not bothered. It’s more fun to play with this way.

That's it for now. Again, if anyone has anything more specific they want to know, please let me know.

Cheers.

Edited by Supersylph

Hmm...this is showing as "Low Stock" on HLJ...which would seem to indicate they have it. However I early birded mine the first day it went up for sale and I haven't received a payment request email yet. Maybe they're still sorting the orders before sending emails...

In any case, this thing look gorgeous and I'm happy to read a good review of it (thanks Supersylph!).

::EDIT::

I just realized the delay at HLJ is probably due to being Silver Week in Japan.

Edited by eriku

Did up some quick photos with the DX VF-25F lurking in the background. Wish I could do more, but setting up is quite a hassle due to lack of space atm. Nonetheless, hope you all enjoy.

While posing the figure for this shoot, I notice the weight of the legs being the main reason the groin armor popping off, as they force the waist to shift while the legs are dangling in mid air.

post-6311-1253468120_thumb.jpg

post-6311-1253468129_thumb.jpg

post-6311-1253468139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Supersylph

Did up some quick photos with the DX VF-25F lurking in the background. Wish I could do more, but setting up is quite a hassle due to lack of space atm. Nonetheless, hope you all enjoy.

While posing the figure for this shoot, I notice the weight of the legs being the main reason the groin armor popping off, as they force the waist to shift while the legs are dangling in mid air.

Thanks for the great pics! Is it possible to have a pic of Alto next to a Saint Seiya figure if you happen to have one? Just wanna see how they compare next to each other

Edited by Ivan

Not yet in Wanchai when I looked this evening after work. :(

Okay, I take back my words earlier. Looks like the Ex-gear toy is selling out pretty fast here in Hong Kong. I checked again today and most of them are already sold out. The main reason is because only a few stores carry them in the first place with limited stock. Many sellers complaint about the steep price and decided not to import them.

Graham, try In's Point near Mong Kok. There's a store that still has a few. And yeah, I caved in and bought one today. =)

post-398-1253559118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ivan

His shoulders seem bigger than the last time I saw him... but the again, that armor is still superb.

Should have included an extra Gilliam head.

RIP raspberry jelly man ;_;

That's horrible, now every time I see him die, I think how great he would've been spread on toast...

Edited by shiroikaze

Just got mine. I like it!

3944028086_4ff71e7876_b.jpg

3944028238_929ca71867.jpg

3944028390_0ef78d3a7b.jpg

3943250903_f672aa2b62_b.jpg

3943251001_85b0ddd61b_b.jpg

3944028608_4df46be03c_b.jpg

3943251151_d5d06d1e12_b.jpg

"Thinketh not and though shalt be the blossom... Thinketh and though shalt not be." :lol:

3943251329_933238624b_b.jpg

Same as the great reviews above. :rolleyes:

-Great articulation came from SH Figuarts line (W/ the armor, the articulation will be limited)

-Great gimmicks.

-Nice set of accessories.

-Joints can handle poses but the ankle joints are too thin, risk for breaking.

-Real small amount of diecast on the armor gear, better than nothing.

-The helmet has a face of Alto inside, too bad can't take it out. Face shield is too dark, but face can still be seen.

-The display stand is awesome! Very poseable and neat.

-I want the rest of the gang including Ranka and Sheryl! Since they already made a girl for SH Figuarts.

-Price is too steep (Got mine from anime export w/ best offer of $70)

-Recommended for the MF fans.

vic01

Edited by vic01

Just got mine. I like it!

Same as the great reviews above. :rolleyes:

-Great articulation came from SH Figuarts line (W/ the armor, the articulation will be limited)

-Great gimmicks.

-Nice set of accessories.

-Joints can handle poses but the ankle joints are too thin, risk for breaking.

-Real small amount of diecast on the armor gear, better than nothing.

-The helmet has a face of Alto inside, too bad can't take it out. Face shield is too dark, but face can still be seen.

-The display stand is awesome! Very poseable and neat.

-I want the rest of the gang including Ranka and Sheryl! Since they already made a girl for SH Figuarts.

-Price is too steep (Got mine from anime export w/ best offer of $70)

-Recommended for the MF fans.

vic01

Do you have trouble fitting the armor onto the forearm? Mine is very tight and I am already getting scratches on the plastic.

I certainly did. So ignored the instructions, removed the hands and wrist armor on Alto, and it fits much easier.

Thanks for the tip! That's my only issue with the toy. The crotch armour does fall off from time to time, but no big deal (I think there is a small magnet that secures it to the waist area). Other than that, I think it's a beauty.

I hope when the next shipment comes, prices will drop.