The economy and your collection.

nghia59

Much as I dislike the USA I see now, I have no hatred for Americans. Actually, if it's not for the Americans, I'll be speaking Japlish right now. Or worse, I might not even be around right now, seeing how the Japanese massacre the Chinese in Singapore. (Yes, I'm ethnic Chinese)

I was just wondering, what happen to the good old American values? You remember right? Your grandparents/parents save for the future, spend within their means, ensure their children have a good education, and have a good home environment to raise kids. You know, the Waltons/ Brady Bunch/Family Ties/Cosby Show values? Or are those values just TV fantasy?

I'm sadden at how in just less than 3 generations, USA has gone from the World's Biggest Creditor nation to the World's Biggest Debtor nation. :(

Its all about greed my friend, pure, straight, unadulterated greed by people. The really sad thing are those NOT effected by this recession who act as if, "why are people complaining and whining, I'm doing just great!!" Its attitudes like that over to many years, that lead to these troubles. Eventually you forget your roots and move on, while those just trying to get by, get left behind.......

The best part is, way to many people will tell me I am wrong!!

And yes the Cosby show and Brady bunch are American values at their most Hollywood levels!!!

Edited by 505thAirborne

Im confused. First you say you dislike the USA but you dont hate Americans. Americans saved your ancestors lives...allowing you to be born. Actually let me rephrase that...American Soldiers risked there lives to save your popo and gunggung so your parents could be born...allowing you to be born...so you could dislike their country. So why this dislike? By the way if Japan kept China/Singapore/Asia...I think you would be speaking Japanese...not English.

I have no hate for Chinese...despite the fact that they sent many boats to conquer Japan back in the day. Neither do I have any hate for the ocean which was able to destroy those boats twice so that very few Chinese were able to land in Japan. Actually I love the ocean.

I hate to rehash history. Its done. But these posts that ask us about these sorts of values are like asking me to reply...how can you think that your country is immune from the problems that America faces? I did not grow up in Singapore...so I dont know the customs...nor did I grow up in China...but what happened to good old Chinese values. For a while they made good products. I liked there things...then they started to cut back. Now my office basically trashes any food/snacks from China. We dont eat it. Why? Because of greed. The same thing that hurt the US hurt China...cause seriously who puts poison in babies milk? Who puts lead in kids toys? Who builds substandard housing for schools so when the earth shakes they are the buildings that first come down? Who kicks out old people from the country so they can develop the land and pollute it to the point where those same old people are now homeless and dieing from the water they drink?

So please...dont make greed seem to be a US trait. It happens all over the world.

Much as I dislike the USA I see now, I have no hatred for Americans. Actually, if it's not for the Americans, I'll be speaking Japlish right now. Or worse, I might not even be around right now, seeing how the Japanese massacre the Chinese in Singapore. (Yes, I'm ethnic Chinese)

I was just wondering, what happen to the good old American values? You remember right? Your grandparents/parents save for the future, spend within their means, ensure their children have a good education, and have a good home environment to raise kids. You know, the Waltons/ Brady Bunch/Family Ties/Cosby Show values? Or are those values just TV fantasy?

I'm sadden at how in just less than 3 generations, USA has gone from the World's Biggest Creditor nation to the World's Biggest Debtor nation. :(

This isn't the end folks, the economy was fine but it got kicked in its nuts. Just like we all survive a kick in the nuts so will the US. It's just a kick, not cancer. Putting ice on your balls doesn't necessarily feel good either but it might help the swelling. In the end, all it takes is time. Again, tough times call for rational thought people, now's no time to grab your tin foil helmet and start expecting the end of days.

I agree; that could be my ignorant arrogant american attitude though...

I hear Japan is actually supposed to be worse off than the states currently, but i'm so self absorbed i don't notice any of this... I have noticed some price drops in some of the more frequented collectible stores in tokyo; perhaps to compensate for low demand due to suffering economy? Ounno, i'm takin advantage of it though, while it lasts anyway...

Im confused. First you say you dislike the USA but you dont hate Americans. Americans saved your ancestors lives...allowing you to be born. Actually let me rephrase that...American Soldiers risked there lives to save your popo and gunggung so your parents could be born...allowing you to be born...so you could dislike their country. So why this dislike? By the way if Japan kept China/Singapore/Asia...I think you would be speaking Japanese...not English.

I have no hate for Chinese...despite the fact that they sent many boats to conquer Japan back in the day. Neither do I have any hate for the ocean which was able to destroy those boats twice so that very few Chinese were able to land in Japan. Actually I love the ocean.

I hate to rehash history. Its done. But these posts that ask us about these sorts of values are like asking me to reply...how can you think that your country is immune from the problems that America faces? I did not grow up in Singapore...so I dont know the customs...nor did I grow up in China...but what happened to good old Chinese values. For a while they made good products. I liked there things...then they started to cut back. Now my office basically trashes any food/snacks from China. We dont eat it. Why? Because of greed. The same thing that hurt the US hurt China...cause seriously who puts poison in babies milk? Who puts lead in kids toys? Who builds substandard housing for schools so when the earth shakes they are the buildings that first come down? Who kicks out old people from the country so they can develop the land and pollute it to the point where those same old people are now homeless and dieing from the water they drink?

So please...dont make greed seem to be a US trait. It happens all over the world.

Actually I think the 90's (maybe even the 80's) happened and the rampant use of credit by the average person. We used to buy everything with cash (remember those days?) then something happened in the 90's that made it easier for peeps to start borrowing, and Americans got used to this lifestyle and now we have this problem.

I've known friends who are in debt up to their eyeballs and are OK with it up to the point where they keep racking up the debt as if it's the new cool lifestyle. It goes from paying your bills of with your card, to paying off your TV, then paying off your car, then paying off your martgage. Pretty soon they're tens of thousands; even hundreds of thousands in debt. I've seen credit addiction like a bad drug addiction in some people. The banks loan out more money than they have because they're greedy to keep this cash cow going and there you have the situation that we're in now.

- Nghia

Edited by nghia59

I want to discourage getting to far into discussions of history pertaining to whether America is a "good" country or not.

I would just remind everyone of what Thomas Jefferson once said "I fear my government but love my country."

Every government in the world has done something bad, and greed and badness are part of human nature and not characteristics of any one particular country.

So - with all due respect to everybody's national experiences - let's not get into a discussion of whether America is a "good" country or not because guess what? Every person who points out something BAD about America will be RIGHT and every person who points out something GOOD about America... will also be RIGHT.

The same for every other country and even for every individual (since I'm sure there's always something bad and good in each of us as people).

Or - if dudes want to share their pesonal histories/national histories a little like our friend above - let's not get overly picky and jump on him over minute details cause therein lies the path towards the Dark Side of Taboo Subjects and the kind of "political" discussions we all want to avoid.

And I say this knowing that I'm one of the people "pushing" the thread onto the border of forbidden subjects - but yeah - thanks Edwin for pointing out that my post probably also went too far into stuff we shouldn't discuss. Let's all guard ourselves like that.

As for "Cosby/Brady Bunch values" ... Well - I wouldn't get too hung up over it. Civilizations come and go - but love and friendship amongst people will always be strong where ever people choose to practice it.

Pete

I want to discourage getting to far into discussions of history pertaining to whether America is a "good" country or not.

I would just remind everyone of what Thomas Jefferson once said "I fear my government but love my country."

Every government in the world has done something bad, and greed and badness are part of human nature and not characteristics of any one particular country.

So - with all due respect to everybody's national experiences - let's not get into a discussion of whether America is a "good" country or not because guess what? Every person who points out something BAD about America will be RIGHT and every person who points out something GOOD about America... will also be RIGHT.

The same for every other country and even for every individual (since I'm sure there's always something bad and good in each of us as people).

Or - if dudes want to share their pesonal histories/national histories a little like our friend above - let's not get overly picky and jump on him over minute details cause therein lies the path towards the Dark Side of Taboo Subjects and the kind of "political" discussions we all want to avoid.

And I say this knowing that I'm one of the people "pushing" the thread onto the border of forbidden subjects - but yeah - thanks Edwin for pointing out that my post probably also went too far into stuff we shouldn't discuss. Let's all guard ourselves like that.

As for "Cosby/Brady Bunch values" ... Well - I wouldn't get too hung up over it. Civilizations come and go - but love and friendship amongst people will always be strong where ever people choose to practice it.

Pete

Well put. I guess when times get tough we start to get angry and let our emotions get the better of us, instead of looking to the future and any bright sides that on the horizon. I guess in a nut shell for all my venting, sorry if I sounded like some raging nut. Just kinda gets ya down when all these great Macross items are coming out, much of it I always wanted since I was kid. And well, rent, bills (to many bills) and food come 1st.

But as i said before, I have lots of great Macross toys & models as is, So I am going to enjoy them as much as I can, and live vicariously through others collections in the mean time!! :p

And the only real values out there and when we respect each other!! TV is just that, TV. B))

OK, so changing the subject. What do you guys think about how Yamato is going to deal with peeps not buying as much? Is the toy market going to go the way of the trading card and comics market of the early 90's?

I just hope they'll still make their production runs available for years to come because there is defenitely a long-term audience out there for them for Macross. I don't mind buckling down for now because I don't have the "gotta' have it now" bug, but would like to continue collecting after I get back on my feet and not miss out on Macross runs having to pay extra $$ for them like those dark days of modding bootleg 1/55's. That would suck man. It was like finding a 1/55 deal on ebay triggered a junkie (or should i say chunkie? :p) euphoria.

- Nghia

Is the toy market going to go the way of the trading card and comics market of the early 90's?

The trading card market became incredibly over saturated, and to a degree trading cards suffer from being something of a passing fad. Baseball cards hit a snag when pro baseball lost much of its popularity. Trading card games suffered the over saturation/low quality problem. Lots of games all hitting the market at once, many of them without anything to really distinguish them.

Comic books suffered a severe issue of quantity over quality. Holo-foil-gold-collector edition covers, story lines interweaving between far too many different series forcing you to buy all of them to know what was going on, a broken sales model, and a lot of just plain crap writing.

I don't really see there being a comparison to make between those industries, and the collector's toy market right now. At least not within the scope of Macross toys. The high cost of toys, and the poor shape of the economy, may present problems of their own, but it won't be the same issue at all. I suspect things might slow down a bit, until the world economy recovers somewhat.

Wow! My state, California, had a 10.1% unemployment rate in January. That is high.

What I worry more about are the byproducts of a deep recession; crime and social unrest. The crime statistics so far have not shown any dramatic increases. However, I do worry that California and the whole US can end up like Robocop's version of Detroit.

Well at least then we get Robocop... Which would be awesome!

Just imagine the economy stimuli that would created from all the Robocop cash ins!

Actually it was the Mongol Fleet under the direction of Kublai Khan that tried to invade Japan twice but was destroyed by the "Divine Wind". I agree with VTF1, we should not judge a nation or its people are "bad" or "good". We can't said that all the Japanese or German were "bad" collectively because of their govt policies during WW2. I am certain that portions of Japanese or German populations were against the war. A few good example are Claus Von Stauffenberg and Oskar Schindler, they are Germans but they are tried to do the morally right thing. Every race or nation have their bad apples. Individuals rather than "nations" or its "people" should be judged whether they are "good" or "bad".

Well at least then we get Robocop... Which would be awesome!

Just imagine the economy stimuli that would created from all the Robocop cash ins!

:lol: ! !! !

I like ED-209 more though... 10 seconds is enough bullshit to put up with! hahah But then Murphy didn't take much of it either.. either way win with both!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

500!!? blink.gif... this is slightly øff topic, but it's 380 at mandrake right now...

Good God!!!

The day people are only paying 380 USD for a weathered VF-1S is the day I KNOW that we are only one step away from mass starvation, anarchy and the End Times!!!

It's all oooover!!

:lol:

Pete

I agree with you. I don't eat Made in China foodstuff either. I throw them away. Unfortunately, lots of International food companies like Nestle/Danone/Cadbury have factories in China. Why? Because it's cheaper to make stuff in China.

As for lead paint in toys, can you be sure Japanese toy companies like Yamato/Goodsmile/Alter/etc with their factories in China don't use them? :unsure:

Just because I'm ethnic Chinese doesn't make me a Citizen of China. Heck, Singapore used to detest Communists. We used to round them up, throw them in the locker, and then throw away the keys. :lol: Why do we do that? Because when they lose in a democratic poll, instead of accepting the fact that they lost, they riot and wanted to cause a civil war in Singapore instead.

And yeah, the Mongols tried to invade Japan. Luckily for the Japanese, and us Japanese culture fans, the "Divine Wind" aka KAMIKAZE sunk most of them. Of course, if you ask the Americans, I don't think they have very good memories of the term "Kami-Kaze" aka suicide bombers in Zeke (Zero) planes.

And yes, the Mongols conquered China too. Unfortunately for them, they become assimilated by the Chinese they conquered. Same with the Manchus. And btw, China is not a "homogeneous" society like Korea or Japan. It consists of over 30 ethnic groups, with various sub-groups among them. And all with their own languages. Mandarin is called PuTongHua "Common" Language in China. It's not even the main language used in large cities like Shanghai/Guangzhou/Beijing where their local dialects are used instead.

BTW, 'dislike' IS NOT equal to 'HATE'. If you're Japanese, I think you should know better that there are differences in "not liking" something and "hating" something. Subtlety is a Japanese trait, or so my Japanese significant other likes to remind me. ^ _ ^

Also, FYI, our Singapore govt peg their salary structure to the average of the top 30% of the world's companies' CEOs. So our President earns a cool US$2million per year, excluding perks. I don't agree with this policy, but they won the votes in a democratic vote. Oh well...next election then. BTW, the rational for this policy is so that these govt officials will not become corrupt. :lol:

Edited by blacklotus

:lol: ! !! !

I like ED-209 more though... 10 seconds is enough bullshit to put up with! hahah But then Murphy didn't take much of it either.. either way win with both!

Was it ten? I thought it was 20? :lol: Robocop didn't even bother to count to 3. :lol:

BTW, quite a number of concepts in this sci-fi movie become reality. Cities run by Corporations, SUVs, etc. Great movie, I say. ^_^

I don't see the toy market really going tits up. The trading card and comic market where killed by the glut of stuff out there. Kids (and allot of parents) where buying because "I'll collect this and 20 years from now it will be worth 10 times as much! Look at what the card is selling on EBAY! or in this magazine!", well there was such a demand that they overproduced (4 different covers for 1 issue of a comic? Really?!?!) and all of it is worth next to nothing today so the Pseudo collectors stopped buying. Now it's mainly back to normal and people are buying comics because they like to read comics and people are buying cards cause they like to play card games or they like sports...mostly. I still see some-guys in the hobby stores buying whole boxes of cards to sort and sell on ebay.......well as long as their making money I guess.

Anyway be honest. Are any of us collecting a $100-$200 toy we think is going to be worth $500-$1000 20 years from now? I like to say I'm not but that growing pile of boxes I am not throwing out tends to make me a bit of a hypocrite...moving on! Allot of us have been Macross/Robotech fans for what 10-20 years? I don't think we will stop being Macross fans at this point of the game. I buy Valks 'cause I like to look at them on my self and think about some scene in one of the series (or make up my own scene in my head). I also like the feel of them in my hands and to transform and pose them (and yes to Swoosh! with them once in a while). I think their sales will suffer because their clients can't buy what they used too but I don't think most of us are just going to stop collecting. As long as they keep bring stuff out that we drool over I think allot of us will keep trying to buy. ....1/2000 SDF-1.....mmmmmmmmm........large scale SDF-1....... :blink:$500???? :o:wacko:....mmmmm 1/2000 SDF-1 :mellow: Sorry where was I?

So could this happen with toys and collectable figures? Sure nothing is impossible. The industry might shrink a bit in the next couple of years but once some of us lose the :ph34r: or get back on our feet we will be right back to collecting again. Unless Yamato is still doing repaints of 1/60 VF-1s 4 years from now. :ph34r:

Edit: That or the Wife/significant other sees the size your collection has become and lays down the law. :ph34r: ..... :lol:

Edited by logos

I'm actually more worried about what happens when the economy recovers--- with the closure of something like half the toymakers in China, when the recovery occurs the demand for toymakers is going to be high, and it will be years before enough factories can open to take up the slack, which might lead to increased toy prices ($500 1/2000? Try $1000! :p)

I totally agree with logos there.

I don't think my collections will go up in value much but I keep a lot of things MISB because I just can't find it in my heart to open them or sell them.

I have a set budget per year for fun things. And it's not changing for this year. I've almost burned through half of it tho :(

Surely market for toy must have slow down. Most of main category page on HLJ is talking n%off sale.

Yes, thats certainly true for now. All I'm saying is that when the economy recovers, demand will inevitably outstrip supply which will cause an increase in prices.

Anyway, like someone previously calculated on the other threads, with the massive fall in the US dollar against the yen earlier in the year, even with the sales on HLJ, the toys still cost the same in USD. Of course now that the USD has recovered somewhat (or rather the Yen has dropped in value) I guess the toys are slightly cheaper now.

I'm an E-7 in the Air Force, so financially, I'm doing ok. I have a guaranteed paycheck for the next 3 years, unless Pres. Obama disbands the military. I bought a house near base last fall, so I'm working on building equity, and I've always been a saver.

Toy-wise, I have an eclectic collection of Macross, Transformers, LEGO, Evangelion, and other assorted figures. LEGO makes up the bulk of my toy spending, followed by TFs. I rarely buy repaints, so once I have a particular toy, I'm happy. That goes for Transformers and Macross. I buy copies of alot of LEGO sets, esp the Star Wars sets. Unfortunately, LEGO sets this year have seen a hike in price, so I'm being a little choosier. Macross wise, I intend on getting a VF-11 to finish my M+ collection. Minor flaws aside, I'm pretty happy with my Yammies ( I have about 14, including the Konig). The only breakages I've had to date were: the left leg broke off my 1/72 VF-11 non-fast pack(like many others), and a piece of my VF-19's right inner bicep around the hinge broke. I fixed both toys and they are fine now, packed away somewhere.

For those of you hit hard, I wish you the best. I'll be at the mercy of the civilian market in three years, as I have no intention of staying past twenty on active duty. Besides, at the rate we're going, the USAF will revert back to the Army Air Corps again by the time I retire. <_<

A bit off topic, but found this gem in my inbox this morning. It made my day :rolleyes: :

If you had purchased $1000 of shares in Delta Airlines

one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

If you had purchased $1000 of shares in AIG

one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1000 of shares in Lehman Brothers

one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

But---- if you had purchased $1000 worth of beer

one year ago, drank all the beer,

then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refund,

you will have received $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan

is to drink heavily & recycle.

It's called the 401-Keg.

Ugh the beer emails! That must be the 12th version of it I have seen in a couple of months! If all I did was drink beer I'd be an out of shape alchy that was always broke cause he spent all his money on booze. ^_^ Wait how is that differant from now......oh that's right because of Macross toys I can't afford alcohol! :lol:

Edited by logos

The Yen is falling, thank goodness

Yeah, but my local currency is tanking in value almost like the Dollar was a couple years back. But, whatever, I have five bank accounts with different currencies in each one including a Japanese Yen account so I feel protected in the short and long terms.

If you had purchased $1000 of shares in Delta Airlines

one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

If you had purchased $1000 of shares in AIG

one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1000 of shares in Lehman Brothers

one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

But---- if you had purchased $1000 worth of beer

one year ago, drank all the beer,

then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refund,

you will have received $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan

is to drink heavily & recycle.

It's called the 401-Keg.

Cool :) That is great advise.

And it's also exactly the right way to think and drink :)

Pete

as discussed in the past, brand new "manufactured" collectibles will not hold there value like an old toy.

these toys are made solely for the highend collectors market. in short, these aren't really toys.

in 20 years time, there will still be tons of these available, all in good condition because we're older and take care of our collectibles. real toys don't get taken care of at all, they get opened up, the boxes get tossed and takes its a fair share of falls, scratches and dings.

if you want to collect toys for investment purposes, start picking up popular kids toys of today and stash them away for 10-20 years, then let that generation of adults relive their youth and buy your MISB power rangers, sponge bob or what have you.

if you want to collect toys for investment purposes, start picking up popular kids toys of today and stash them away for 10-20 years, then let that generation of adults relive their youth and buy your MISB power rangers, sponge bob or what have you.

Funny you mention that dnd. My son recently came across a stash of un-opened Transformers and thought they were for him. Whenever I am in Target or Wal-Mart I usually pick up a couple and toss'em away in a box in the closet. Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, if I'm still alive and ticking 20 years from now, they might be worth something to a young adult collector who tore his up playing with them as a kid.

99.08:1 today. *rubs hands together greedily*

Vostok 7

Hopefully it should continue to rise. I read an article on cnn or somewhere that mentioned how the US dollar's strength is improving due to people starting to see it as comparatively stable vs other currencies. It mentioned that since the US was the first to fall, it would be among the first to recover. In comparison, Japan will likely recover much later.

Hopefully it should continue to rise. I read an article on cnn or somewhere that mentioned how the US dollar's strength is improving due to people starting to see it as comparatively stable vs other currencies. It mentioned that since the US was the first to fall, it would be among the first to recover. In comparison, Japan will likely recover much later.

The inverse is already trading at over 0.100:1 so it'll be there soon.

Vostok 7