Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

Here's a picture of the exact spot I have in mind for the Space Fortress mode; now it's just a matter of money, money, and money.

OMG put the lighter valks on the upper shelf, not the heavy stuff. I don't want to hear a "My SDF1 suffered a failure of the anti gravity device, and crushed all my valks" story.

OMG put the lighter valks on the upper shelf, not the heavy stuff. I don't want to hear a "My SDF1 suffered a failure of the anti gravity device, and crushed all my valks" story.

You have a good point. Although the spot is a good potential for a flying scene, it's also a potential for a horrible, horrible disaster. I will now spend the next year contemplating about it.

And yup, it the Flagg.

Edited by D_Unit

I think you guys are over blowing the size 24 inches is really not that big. MANY of the toys I had growing up were that big if not bigger! Lots of toys I see even today are that big. Where do you guys live, a hobbit house? Most of the cooler GI joe vehicles were big!

Now the price on the other hand yes that's big and imho overpriced unless this it has cool features / gimmicks out the wazoo! Then again, compare what people are paying for NIB matchbox/tataku SDF-1's.

I never really looked into the difference of the TV version and the DYRL version of the macross but there really are a lot of differences besides just the arms. Here's pics from Mr. March's Macross Mecha Manual:

macross-cruiser.png

macross-dyrl-cruiser.gif

With all the extra details with the DYRL... i'm happy we're getting a movie version... =]

DYRL got hit with the ugly stick. The proportions are just whacky for me. DYRL looks like the storm attacker just flying sideways, while the TV version looks more distinctive in each mode. I HATE the way the legs are so far apart in DRYL and how the arms stick outwards then fold back creating another ugly gap.

Give me the sleek TV version with optional armds and Im in heaven.

Woo Hoo!! DYRL SDF-1 to start and start saving up for the TV version. I mentioned this thread to my wife yesterday and she is actually allowing me to get this when it is release. She saw pics of it and actually liked it. :blink:

She also told me to set aside about $800.00 now and whatever else I can muster up when the time comes to purchase. I speculated to her that it would be around that much, just to be on the safe side.

Damn, life is good! ^_^

All I need now is for Yamato to follow through and make available. :rolleyes:

DYRL got hit with the ugly stick. The proportions are just whacky for me. DYRL looks like the storm attacker just flying sideways, while the TV version looks more distinctive in each mode. I HATE the way the legs are so far apart in DRYL and how the arms stick outwards then fold back creating another ugly gap.

Give me the sleek TV version with optional armds and Im in heaven.

That's more just because it's at slightly different perspectives and the DYRL version shows more detail in the line at at that view distance. I very much doubt the gap in the legs between the 2 will be much different. Also you will still have a gap in the TV version arms but not as large as the one would be with the DYRL version.

Edited by logos

Just to clarify a few things concerning Macross City inside the two SDFs...

All the line art and diagrams I have of the TV SDF-1 suggests that Macross City is literally in the "belly of the beast." The entire city is inside the main body...while most of main engineering is stuffed into each leg. At least according to Entertainment Bible 27, that is. However, DYRL and the DYRL Gold Book clearly shows "Downtown" Macross City to be inside each leg, with a huge "driveplate" engine block at the rear/foot. But some of the material suggests that Macross City is split up into 3 sections in the DYRL SDF-1. Shopping centers, red light district (Motel Persian Love), restaurants, manufacturing centers, observation windows, etc. are in the legs, while residential areas and open-air parks are located in the main body. Can anyone else confirm or deny this particular layout?

While this may sound like it belongs in the TV/Movies forum, I'm asking because I'm wondering if Yamato will be faithfully recreating the city inside the ship, since the massive viewports on the legs have been molded as hollow cutouts. This suggests that there may be SOMETHING viewable inside the SDF-1's legs...unless the idea gets scrapped sometime between now and 2010. If the entire city ends up being faithfully represented, then I'm wondering if the parks, foot bridges and residential blocks will also be thrown in with a flip-up panel on the main body, sort of like the panel on the 1/3000 SDF-1. At the very least, a micro-diorama of the concert stadium should be made since it was in the establishing shot of Macross City as seen through the viewport windows.

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

That's more just because it's at slightly different perspectives and the DYRL version shows more detail in the line at at that view distance. I very much doubt the gap in the legs between the 2 will be much different. Also you will still have a gap in the TV version arms but not as large as the one would be with the DYRL version.

macross-schematicdorsalandventral.gif

macross-dyrl-sidetop-schematic.gif

The legs on the TV version come strait back, the DYRL version are splayed out oddly, both have gaps but the TV version is much less prominent.

As for the arms, the TV version looks a lot better with the arms laid as strait back and as close to the main hull as possible. The DYRL version turns the armd's sideways then has them stick WAY out. Like you could almost fit another ARMD in the gap between the arm and the Hull

Like Mechinyun said, the DYRL version look like they just laid the attack mode on its stomach, in cruiser mode the TV SDF-1 actually kind of looks like a SHIP.

Anyways, I find the TV version overall much more visually appealing, and while I'll definitely pass on this, if they come out with a 1/2000 TV Macross I'd consider it. I'd actually like to see a TV version with the option to switch between the Daedalus and Prometheus; and the TV version of the ARMD's 1 and 2 (the TV ARMD's were much cooler looking IMO)

The legs on the TV version come strait back, the DYRL version are splayed out oddly, both have gaps but the TV version is much less prominent.

As for the arms, the TV version looks a lot better with the arms laid as strait back and as close to the main hull as possible. The DYRL version turns the armd's sideways then has them stick WAY out. Like you could almost fit another ARMD in the gap between the arm and the Hull

Like Mechinyun said, the DYRL version look like they just laid the attack mode on its stomach, in cruiser mode the TV SDF-1 actually kind of looks like a SHIP.

Anyways, I find the TV version overall much more visually appealing, and while I'll definitely pass on this, if they come out with a 1/2000 TV Macross I'd consider it. I'd actually like to see a TV version with the option to switch between the Daedalus and Prometheus; and the TV version of the ARMD's 1 and 2 (the TV ARMD's were much cooler looking IMO)

Now that I see that I agree. Going by the 2 pics that Mechinyun post you really couldn't tell because they weren't from the same perspective.

Edited by logos

Mike, Mechinyun - well said!

The smaller number of big gun turrets, and the bulgy, padded, overdone "bow" are also disappointments.

The TV ARMDs were really nice! I do think the TV SDF-1 could have used some revision for the movie, but just not this much - especially changes for the sake of changes that made it less appealing, not more.

Comparing the two I'd say that the TV version is the sports car, and the DYRL version is a tank. I'll take the tank, if you please. I much prefer the DYRL appearance. It's much more powerful looking, and conveys a greater sense of scale.

Comparing the two I'd say that the TV version is the sports car, and the DYRL version is a tank. I'll take the tank, if you please. I much prefer the DYRL appearance. It's much more powerful looking, and conveys a greater sense of scale.

I agree with you. It is called Super Dimensional FORTRESS Macross, afterall. But i get why some people like the look of the Tv design. Personally, i wouldn't buy it if Yamato made it like the TV design, wich kind of makes wish they did because this baby will obliterate my budget for next year. :lol:

Heh, well there's no right or wrong as to which anyone prefers. I'd have still bought it if it were the tv series design, but would have been disappointed. I've been wanting a toy of the DYRL version for ages. For what it's worth, I do hope Yamato does a TV series version, too, though I probably won't buy it myself. Would be neat if they released the tv series version ARMDs, and the movie version Daedelus and Prometheus, assuming there's any difference between movie and tv versions.

Heh, well there's no right or wrong as to which anyone prefers. I'd have still bought it if it were the tv series design, but would have been disappointed. I've been wanting a toy of the DYRL version for ages. For what it's worth, I do hope Yamato does a TV series version, too, though I probably won't buy it myself. Would be neat if they released the tv series version ARMDs, and the movie version Daedelus and Prometheus, assuming there's any difference between movie and tv versions.

I second that. As i've posted before, a DYRL style set of TV arms (Prometheus and Daedalus) would be great.

And, yeah, in a perfect world Yamato would release a TV design too but i don't see that happening. So its really a matter of weighing what people want the most and a certain amount of compromise.

Me, i prefer the DYRL design because i prefer its bulkier, super detailed and bad-ass look, but mainly because, although people call it the DYRL version, when you look at the rest of the Macross series and OVA, even Macross II (yeah, its an alternate universe, i get it) that is the dominant design. The "TV Version" was only used in the original TV series.

I get that nostalgia value is big, being a SB Yamato fan i have a special place in my heart for the Yamato design from the original Iscandar series, but if i had to choose a design for a figure such as this, i would go for the more updated PS2 games design, much like they did with the 1/350 kit that Bandai released last year or the Soul of Popinica figure (I actually have that one - if i get an Arcadia in the same scale... DAICON Macross, anyone? :lol: ). I love the original but the redesign looks more real and detailed and ready to kick Gamilon ass. (At least until Dessler turns Gamilas into Earth's ally :lol: )

I would buy one either decision they decided to go. However, I'm more excited about the DYRL version based on the fact that I have my old Matchbox labled SDF-1 from the 80s. I never bought the WAVE version, so this will be my first SDF purchase. Being the DYRL version, this will be awesome. Time to create space.

For me though, I always thought the DYRL, especially the main cannons, was "sportier" looking than the TV version. But yeah, compared to the slenderer TV version, the DYRL one is a beast. I like both nonetheless - it's the SDF-1 for crying out loud! I'm just glad we're getting a toy incarnation that truly justifies the "Super Dimensional Fortress" namesake. Just hope Yamato doesn't skimp on the detail. Or quality control for that matter, considering the price of admission.

Edited by todd77

Now that I see that I agree. Going by the 2 pics that Mechinyun post you really couldn't tell because they weren't from the same perspective.

Never mind f*&k that I retract my previous statement. If you look at the prototype on the first page the gap in the legs more resembles the TV version than the DYRL line art. Also the spacing for the arms on the prototype toy doesn't look soo bad as the lineart does. And here I was doubting myself!

Edited by logos

I would like a mix of TV sleekness and DYRL details and hardware.

The thing I hate most about the DYRL model is the part that eventually becomes the crotch piece in Storm Attacker - when it's in cruiser mode it's just way too high and square and chunky. I would have prefered it tapered down the level of the booms or had something like a wedge or some other details to soften how high and cliff like it looks.

dyrl.jpg

I also wish that the DYRL bridge split like the TV version. I have the Matchbox SDF-1 and as a kid, that was my favorite feature!

Edited by ComicKaze

Agreed. I am liking the main cannons on the DYRL better, I also like the shoulder/partical cannons placement of DYRL better. Definitely like the carriers closer to the body of TV version as well as as the "flatter" nature of the legs and main body of SDF-1 in cruiser mode.

Anyone have comparison shots between the TV and DYRL ARMDs?

The thing I hate most about the DYRL model is the part that eventually becomes the crotch piece in Storm Attacker - when it's in cruiser mode it's just way too high and square and chunky. I would have prefered it tapered down the level of the booms or had something like a wedge or some other details to soften how high and cliff like it looks.

dyrl.jpg

I also wish that the DYRL bridge split like the TV version. I have the Matchbox SDF-1 and as a kid, that was my favorite feature!

^^^ YUP!! Agreed.

Logos: You are right about the yamato mock up having the legs straighter back with less gap which looks better.

+1 on seeing pics of dyrl armds vs TV ones

One of my favorite features of either ship is the bridge, I love the shape and design of it, that massive window with multiple bridge levels behind it. I do also miss the transforming aspect of it the tv version had. that was cool

Man! It's only been a month since the announcement and we're already bashing the hell out of it for being the DYRL version. I dunno if some of us are doing this as a possible justification for not purchasing such an exhorbitantly priced item or if its just a general hatred of the more military look. Personally, compared to the DYRL version, the TV SDF-1 has a definite late 70s Voltron or Gundam White Base vibe to it: plain and blocky with super-smooth hull and eye-catching blue and white paint job with bright primary yellow pinstriping.

Maybe its because I'm one of the few holdouts who never bought into the "DYRL is a movie-within-a-series" explanation that Big West pulled out of its butt during Macross 7, that I don't have a problem seeing the two SDFs as being nothing but alternate versions of the same ship that exist outside of one another. People who absolutely HAD to have All-Things-Macross fit into some sort of cohesive (if you want to call it that) form demanded Kawamori and Co. to explain away the inconsistencies between the TV series and movie...and having those inconsistencies show up in later series, etc., are the ones who seem the have the most problem with the DYRL organic design. The way I have always seen it, DYRL did the same thing that any other sci-fi series being made into a big-budget feature film has done. Many elements were simply redesigned to have a much bigger "bad-ass" quality to them as well as being given a slightly more realistic look...plain and simple. A good example is how the original USS Enterprise from the 60s was redesigned into the 1701-A model for the Star Trek movies. For all intents and purposes, it was instantly recognizable onscreen, yet had a completely different updated look from the original. The same thing was done with the SDF-1 for DYRL. According to the Gold Book, the DYRL SDF-1 is actually a crashed Meltrandi destroyer...not the Supervision Army gunboat from the series. So that explains the distinct "chisled out of rock" organic look as opposed to the smooth metallic look of the TV version. It also makes it slightly more believable from the standpoint of the SDF-1 being a rebuilt ALIEN craft by retaining a look similar to its original Meltran configuration. In contrast, the TV SDF-1 looks like a 100% Earth design with its gleaming hull, defined 90-degree angles and bright colors.

alienstarshipone-dyrl.gif

Original Meltran Destroyer aka: Alien Spaceship-1 (service date: unknown, though sometime prior to 1999)

DYRLSDF-1.jpg

Super Dimensional Fortress-1 Macross (service date: 2/7/2009)

Why Kawamori and Co. decided to start mixing design elements from both the movie and TV series is the stuff of epic speculative discussions...but at the end of the day, the most common answer will probably be "it just looks cooler than the old TV version of insert ship or mecha name here. In this respect, its a lot like George Lucas changing things in the original Star Wars trilogy to accomodate the prequels...for no other reason except that he can. Many old-timers on here would prefer the throw-back "vintage" SDF-1 for nostalgic reasons, I get that (to quote our President). But for whatever reason, DYRL seems to be the prevalent version of Macross that Yamato likes to launch any new Macross toy line with...and touching on the TV versions at a later time. Will we see a 1/2000 TV SDF-1 at some point? If the Valkyrie line is any indicator, the answer is "absolutely," but I have a feeling that it will also depend largely on how well the DYRL version sells.

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Man! It's only been a month since the announcement and we're already bashing the hell out of it for being the DYRL version. I dunno if some of us are doing this as a possible justification for not purchasing such an exhorbitantly priced item or if its just a general hatred of the more military look. Personally, compared to the DYRL version, the TV SDF-1 has a definite late 70s Voltron or Gundam White Base vibe to it: plain and blocky with super-smooth hull and eye-catching blue and white paint job with bright primary yellow pinstriping.

Maybe its because I'm one of the few holdouts who never bought into the "DYRL is a movie-within-a-series" explanation that Big West pulled out of its butt during Macross 7, that I don't have a problem seeing the two SDFs as being nothing but alternate versions of the same ship that exist outside of one another. People who absolutely HAD to have All-Things-Macross fit into some sort of cohesive (if you want to call it that) form demanded Kawamori and Co. to explain away the inconsistencies between the TV series and movie...and having those inconsistencies show up in later series, etc., are the ones who seem the have the most problem with the DYRL organic design. The way I have always seen it, DYRL did the same thing that any other sci-fi series being made into a big-budget feature film has done. Many elements were simply redesigned to have a much bigger "bad-ass" quality to them as well as being given a slightly more realistic look...plain and simple. A good example is how the original USS Enterprise from the 60s was redesigned into the 1701-A model for the Star Trek movies. For all intents and purposes, it was instantly recognizable onscreen, yet had a completely different updated look from the original. The same thing was done with the SDF-1 for DYRL. According to the Gold Book, the DYRL SDF-1 is actually a crashed Meltrandi destroyer...not the Supervision Army gunboat from the series. So that explains the distinct "chisled out of rock" organic look as opposed to the smooth metallic look of the TV version. It also makes it slightly more believable from the standpoint of the SDF-1 being a rebuilt ALIEN craft by retaining a look similar to its original Meltran configuration. In contrast, the TV SDF-1 looks like a 100% Earth design with its gleaming hull, defined 90-degree angles and bright colors.

(...)

Why Kawamori and Co. decided to start mixing design elements from both the movie and TV series is the stuff of epic speculative discussions...but at the end of the day, the most common answer will probably be "it just looks cooler than the old TV version of insert ship or mecha name here. In this respect, its a lot like George Lucas changing things in the original Star Wars trilogy to accomodate the prequels...for no other reason except that he can. (...)

I support what you said word for word. Its just a matter of updating a design for a different media.

The most recent example i can think of is "Transformers". Everyone cried bloody murder for how much Michael Bay altered the look of the robots. I think they looked bad-ass and very organic, like true life-forms, if they had kept the look of the original, man... that would have sucked. Me? I'm just happy the movie got made and looked as awesome as it did. And now? Well, "Revenge is Coming"! :lol:

Edited by westfall

I support what you said word for word. Its just a matter of updating a design for a different media.

The most recent example i can think of is "Transformers". Everyone cried bloody murder for how much Michael Bay altered the look of the robots. I think they looked bad-ass and very organic, like true life-forms, if they had kept the look of the original, man... that would have sucked. Me? I'm just happy the movie got made and looked as awesome as it did. And now? Well, "Revenge is Coming"! :lol:

That pretty much sums up my argument for liking the original designs, both of them.

Transformers was so bad, they remind me of those figures they sell in the swapmeets, Predator, Robocop and Aliens made up of junk parts.

I'd buy both TV and movie version if they sold them.

Colorless, dark clothes and makeup, covered with meaningless studs and tattoos, pudgy in strange places... the DYRL Macross is stuck in stupid goth phase because of self-esteem issues.

So, what you really mean to say, is that you don't like the DYRL version. You don't have to buy. I don't hate one and like the other. I think both have great qualities that they either both share, or one may have over the other. I'm more psyched about the fact that this will take more to transform than just a few flicks of the wrist and fiddling. The size of this thing may require standing up just to transform. Pure awesomeness. :D

I've started looking at the WAVE SDF-1 as the DYRL version of the old die-cast non-transformable Takatoku/Matchbox SDF-1 and the Yamato version as the new answer to the Takatoku 1/3000 version. So that said, I actually like having a smaller "desktop" version that I can just grab and transform anytime I like. The Yamato SDF-1 will be used for more of a "centerpiece" of a lot of collections where it will most likely be displayed in one mode or the other...only to be transformed maybe once or twice a year otherwise...

I've started looking at the WAVE SDF-1 as the DYRL version of the old die-cast non-transformable Takatoku/Matchbox SDF-1 and the Yamato version as the new answer to the Takatoku 1/3000 version. So that said, I actually like having a smaller "desktop" version that I can just grab and transform anytime I like. The Yamato SDF-1 will be used for more of a "centerpiece" of a lot of collections where it will most likely be displayed in one mode or the other...only to be transformed maybe once or twice a year otherwise...

Yah.....the Wave isn't a grab/transform toy. They actually give you a little tool that you have to use to transform the arms.

Yah.....the Wave isn't a grab/transform toy. They actually give you a little tool that you have to use to transform the arms.

LOL...I meant relatively speaking when compared to a 2-foot-long version which will probably have many more minute moving parts to it in spite of the SDF-1's straightforward transformation sequence. I wasn't trying to make it sound like the WAVE is akin to a Transformer with Level 1 difficulty. ^_^