Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

I think the ultimate question on everyone's mind on this thread should be: Do I get Bandai's Macross Quarter or do I get Yamato's SDF-1?

Not my biggest question.

I will happily get both if:

a) The Quarter's final appearance looks like what it seeeems to suggest: a good figure, with good design and no design flaws (aesthetic flaws) like the Dx, which IMO had numerous aesthetic compromises.

b) The SDF-1 takes advantage of the 1/2000 scale to give us opening panels on the legs revealing city mode and numerous other features rather than just being a two foot long brick.

If these very general parameters are met - I'll get both.

Pete

to all the haters for the sake of hating.

thank you for your posts. its exactly the reason why i don't come here that often.

Is this the part where we pretend that's not a good thing?

sorry i brought up the point that people COULD be spending their money on other things. i wasn't judging anyone here but of course in true MW fashion, the same 2 dudes as always(eugimon and hurin) make mountains out of mole hills...say it ain't so!

Don't forget EXO!

as far as my toy purchases, much like you hurin, i've long since stopped collecting and sold off the majority of the toys i own.

To which charity did you donate the proceeds of those sales? Since, now that you have decided that toys are too expensive and coincidentally (and conveniently!) decided at the very same time that buying toys is immoral/selfish, I have to assume that you didn't keep the money from your toy collection for yourself. That would be "selfish" (your word).

i also have other responsibilites and priorities that are more important than this hobby much like yourself but please continue to walk around with that chip on your shoulder from yesteryear, its shows me how much you've grown as a person.

I'm forced to assume that these responsibilities include feeding the starving people in Kenya you mentioned previously and that the proceeds of your toy sales have gone directly to them. Because I know you wouldn't have brought up such a thing just to appear generous and big-spirited among this board's membership when in reality you're just not buying toys anymore because you've begun to find them too expensive. That wouldn't be like you at all!

But I do have to wonder why you didn't feel this way when you were spending $500 on three smaller toys instead of one large one.

and really, you(hurin) of all people talking about someone else being holier than thou?

you gotta be kidding me? you're like the most elitest poster i've come across on any messageboard to date.

If you can direct me to one post where I lay out a dividing line in our community, firmly place myself on one side of it, and then subtly or not-so-subtly suggest that those on the other side are "a-holes," morally deficient, or worse, I'll happily grant you this point. But, I don't think you'll be able to do so.

Yet, time and time again, that is what you've done. And despite claims of "growing as a person," you continue to do so to this day. You introduce an arbitrary dividing line, directly or indirectly call those on the other side "a-holes" or somehow less than you, invite praise upon yourself. . . and then when those you've placed on the other side (or those who would stick up for them) ask you (even politely) to explain yourself or even just moderate your tone, you act as though it's their fault for interpreting your words in the only reasonable, logical fashion.

Care for some examples? I know this is your favorite part. It's mine too! Thanks for once again giving me the opportunity to remind you and some of our newer members about these things! Here we go. . . Remember way back when you decided anyone not recommending the valk dealer in your signature were a-holes for recommending someone else? You accused them of "disgusting" behavior just because they recommended other established and reputable sellers (who were also well-regarded members here)? Remember when you repeatedly labeled as "a-holes" anyone who mentions how much they're willing to pay for a toy? Remember when you called all cops "a-holes" even as one of our long-standing members who was a police officer was trying to help a fellow member? Remember when you just recently called ebay sellers a-holes even though you know darn well many of us sell our stuff on ebay to get good market-driven prices for our belongings? Remember how we gave you a pass on that in a "benefit of the doubt" sorta way only to have you come back and attack ebay buyers as well only a few posts later? And, I should point out that the above is only a partial list.

So now here we are today. . . you've decided you can't buy toys anymore. Rather than just say that, you need to couch it all in some grand moral awakening on your part where spending so much money on yourself would be bad and selfish when there are people starving in Kenya. Did it not occur to you how that must necessarily be interpreted by those who still choose to buy these toys for themselves? As usual, it either didn't occur to you, or it did but you perversely enjoy setting these situations up so that you can play the victim when someone notices that you've once again done your thing. And the worst part is that recently all the new folks fall for your schtick.

Not once. Not one single time have you ever said: "Yeah, that was a bit ill-worded on my part. I apologize to those I inadvertently insulted." Instead, you attack those who merely point out the plain meaning of your words. And even as those you bizarrely smear express dismay that you've put them in your arbitrarily defined group of "a-holes" or villains, you act as though you can't imagine why they would think you were talking about them. It got old years ago. Yet you still do it. So forgive me if I'm not buying into your "personal growth." You're still the same old guy, doing the same old thing. That is, when you're not engaging in your other favorite activity: Making up stories entirely to try to impress strangers on the internet with your bravery and sexual prowess. When you're not trying to gain adoring fans by making up stories of fighting fifty bottle-and-skateboard wielding hooligans all alone or standing up to the Man (police) who threaten to beat you with skateboards in front of fifty adoring witnesses (all of which amazingly happened on the same day!). . . you are making sure we're all aware of your (very) improbable sexual conquests. Gee, I wonder why you took that picture down!

but as always, you win the interweb!

Dude, there will always be people like you on the "tubes." And therefore there will unfortunately always be people like me who end up acting like tools themselves while documenting your tool-ish ways. So, unfortunately, nobody is a winner here.

But anyways, I'm sure someone on Staff will come by momentarily to rescue you yet again (by way of rescuing this thread).

H

Edited by Hurin

I think the ultimate question on everyone's mind on this thread should be: Do I get Bandai's Macross Quarter or do I get Yamato's SDF-1? :rolleyes:

I'd love to get both but if I had to choose, the SDF-1... because it's my favorite capital ship of all time. :)

Jesus.

Do Not Disturb: who's grandmother did you rape? Because nothing you said in this thread seems to justify the way you are being treated.

When a $500 toy comes out, it's a pretty good time to step back and say, "Damn. How much do I really want to pay for toys?" Just don't say it here because half of Macross World will tear you to pieces.

So I understand where DnD is coming from and I really don't get the hostility.

LOL, Hurin still sucks but you have to admire the power of SDF-1 toys, they're like the bright light of a porch lamp to his moth. Maybe Hurin can tell us whether or not it will have knees (Hurin, please feel free to add a link here to when you made an ass out of yourself over the SDF-1 having knees).

I'm definitely excited about both the Quarter and the SDF-1 but I think I'll buy the Quarter, put it in some cool poses, and probably sell it later to make room for valks. The SDF-1 will be purchased and kept until it absolutely has to move.

Edited by jenius

I appreciate DnD's point of view.

Sometimes it seems we buy this stuff without a second thought and when we have it we want the next one, and then the next one, and then the next one...

And this does not have to to with them being expensive. Cheap or costly, we are always waiting for the next one...

At first I though I would be satisfied with a good looking VF-1. Now I have a closed full of different toys and yet I want to get more.

I mean WHEN is it enough? What would "complete" ones Macross/whatever collection?

Guys - please stop making personal attacks and insinuations on one another. And others should please refrain from "taking sides."

It really is sad that so many folks are holding grudges against one another for stuff from the past. Macross - whether you like the toys or not and independent of what you think of the prices - is supposed to be a fun hobby that we all enjoy. The forums serve to express our opinions. We MUST get along with one another and learn to forgive eachother for past slights.

I haven't seen anything written by ANYBODY - DND, Hurin or anybody else - that warrants personal attacks from ANY SIDE, let alone warrants the emotions. EVEN if somebody used poor judgment in the past - let bygones be bygones.

I for one would prefer it if - no matter how stepped on your egos might feel - you just let go and moved on. It is possible to express the views and opinions you guys are expressing without getting into nasty personal attacks and opening old wounds.

It really is sad (as in bo hoo sad and not as in pitiful) when people on the boards fight like this. Macross should bring us together.

If I were Master of the Universe - I' make all of you guys wear assless chaps and sing fire bomber songs.

Then you would either learn to love and smile or at least stop hating on eachother and just focus your hate on me :) Either way you'd stop fighting :)

In any event - I hope one of you just turns the other cheek so that this silly quarrel over nothing can end and we can get back to enjoying our hobby and discussing things in a fun manner.

Bomba!

Pete

That's fine. The usual suspects are here. I respect their opinion just about as much as I respect haterist's. Meanwhile, I know that those whose opinions I do respect at least loathe me slightly less than they loathe haterist and his shenanigans.

This is the part where everyone who has ever had a run-in with me comes in and defends Mr. Victim. Or, those who haven't been around long enough to witness his behavior themselves just assumes that he's a good guy. . . why wouldn't you? He plays the victim so well. Ironically, while haterist says that he stopped coming here because of posts from "haters" (he brings it on himself, btw), I stopped coming here because there are actually so many f*cking idiots here who buy into his poo and act just like him. Oh, wait, did I say f*cking idiots? I'm sorry, I meant to say f*cking morons.

Wait, am I not allowed to say that? Oh, then can I just say that people who might stick up for haterist are f*cking morons and then whenever you guys take offense I'll just say I don't mean you? That seems to have always worked for haterist and none of you seem to think there's anything wrong with that. He has never even been suspended. Even (especially) while I was admin. So what's the problem? I just think anyone who can't see through what haterist (DnD) does is an "a-hole" or a "moron". . . but don't worry, because I don't mean you.

Hey! That's a neat trick! I like it!

Here's the link you requested, Jenius. Though, I think your interpretation is flawed. Especially because the person saying the Macross toy should have knees originally wanted was kung-fu "dynamic" poses from those knees. And those "knees", situated in the crotch as they are and with such limited range of motion, aren't exactly what he was thinking of. . . considering he asked "how does it walk?" Clearly, while there is a joint near the crotch that isn't at the top of the leg that one could argue is a "knee" and thereby argue that I was wrong to say that the Macross has "no knees". . . that's not the type of knee the guy was saying should be on the toy and he was only saying such things because he hadn't even ever seen the anime and expected the Macross to do flying ninja kicks, turn its head, and otherwise move like a Valkryie. But I see you've been waiting a while to bring that up. Bravo. Good times.

H

One thing I don't get, why the DYRL SDF-1? Is it because it's the one that gets shown ever after the movie was released? I personally would prefer to have the aircraft carriers. I wonder if this reflects my introduction to Macross through Robotech. If they announce a TV version right before they put out the DYRL version I might have to just hold off until that TV one comes out. Hopefully they don't pull the WAVE stunt of milking the mold by releasing an "almost" paint scheme first and following it up six months or a year later with a "movie color" version.

My guess on DYRL over TV:

1) Slightly cheaper mold - one mold for both ARMD v.s. two molds for the TV ships.

2) Polls shows the DYRL version is more popular.

3) Less cartoonly, more modern metalic color - more attractive to regular sci-fi fans.

I personally would prefer to have the aircraft carriers. If they announce a TV version right before they put out the DYRL version I might have to just hold off until that TV one comes out.

Although I have about a zero percent chance of shelling out for one of these, I agree.

I wonder if this reflects my introduction to Macross through Robotech.

I'd bet that has much to do with it.

nice watch pete.

i generally dress well.

just not those expensive signature stuff.

must be because i have a nice body and

that i don't need clothes to complement it.

hahaha. who am i kidding.

i also prefer the dyrl version. i prefer the

large boosters at the feet. but i prefer the

tv version's arms.

Personally being Canadian I want the SDF-1 to come with I diorama with it hovering over the ruins of the "Onatrio Autonomous Region"! :p I always knew those Easterner Federalists where the real seperatists not the Quebecio! :lol: :lol: Awe the memories, that pretty much defined the moment I became a Robotech/Macross fan.

FYI that must have been quite the explosion to take out a Province that is larger than many countries!

Edit: Yet somehow leave the SDF-1 intact!?!?! :huh: Nah I must be wrong the explosion wasn't that big was it?

Edited by logos

One thing I don't get, why the DYRL SDF-1?

I've noticed that Bandai and Yamato alike LOVE making the DYRL versions of everything first. It took years to finally see a VF-1A TV Max custom. The DYRL VF-1's are almost always the first releases of any given Macross toy line. The VF-1 on top of Alto's school in Macross F is from DYRL. Exedol in Macross 7 had the DYRL character design.

I think DYRL is just more popular than the TV show in Japan.

Man, I take a break from the Macross World for a couple days and everything gets dropped all at once :lol: For now I'm all for this version at the current scale and price point. At the least Yamato should add the main cannon firing sound effect. Can't wait to see more of this massive sucker.

I would rather have the carrier, plus the red white, and blue look of the tv version. Exactly how would the "Macross Attack" work with the ARMDs? I wouldn't have been as cool. Even in frontier they used the flight deck to do it.

i have a nice body and

that i don't need clothes to complement it.

hahaha. who am i kidding.

Well, that is a big plus :) When I was 23, my ex-girlfriend told me I had the body "of a 45 year old"... now I'm 30...and I don't even wanna think about what kind of body I have now... Where's Agent One when you need him? :)

As to TV vs DYRL Macross:

I too would prefer TV version, but I guess what's most important to me is that such a big figure has lots of internal detail; mainly the city and the like being shown.

But this thread is fast becoming like...oh...can't remember...which thread was it where....ah yes!

This thread is becoming like the DX thread - oh my...actually - it's going to TOP the DX thread because we KNOW we have a year to wait for this guy. The DX thread (well - threads because - weren't there three?) at least was speculation that lasted maybe a month or two (at least that's how I remember it...)...

But I can see this thread going on...and on...and on...and we'll be repeating ourselves into eternity :)

So..how 'bout that price? And clue? :lol:

Pete

hey i just thought if they release the tv version later they could have the arm open and there could be a squad of little 1/2000 destroids in there waiting to attack. i want a little 1/2000 monster and some enemy mecha too.

The more I think about it the more thankful I am for this giant expensive SDF-1 coming out, TV or DYRL.

Because when the 1/60 TV VERSION Monster comes out I can send the link and price of the SDF-1 to my wife and say:

"See honey what I had self-control over and didn't buy? All I want is this other little green robot instead. It's 200 or 300 dollars cheaper!"

That's cool! Imagine the spring mechanism you would need to shoot ARMDs!?!?!? :o Could this be one of the fabled gimicks it might have? :lol: I doubt it but I can dream. ^_^

EDIT: Does it shoot or snake/reach out? From my first watch it looked like was shooting out...but after exploding it I am not sure looks like the arm kind of snaked out?

Edited by logos

EDIT: Does it shoot or snake/reach out? From my first watch it looked like was shooting out...but after exploding it I am not sure looks like the arm kind of snaked out?

It is not Mazinger rocket punch, the ARMD stay attached. :lol:

Another ARMD attack, starting at 1:25

Well, i guess it was just the shock and awe of it all, but I've just got Overdrive to make sure i get one next year! To be honest i'd rather have a "largest scale"

SDF-1 in DYRL? than a TV, so i've got my hopes up for Bandai to give me an "in between scale!" :lol:

Now that i know the SDF-1 can punch (ok!) with the ARMD thanks to CF-18's link i feel better about gettin it!

I didn't notice the tiny 1/2000 valks at first till after, AWESOME! I hope we get tiny 1A and 1S Strike BATTROIDS for obvious reasons!

Does Yamato really need reminding about the MKII???

AND THEY BETTER MAKE THAT BRIDGE LIGHT UP!!!!!! I'm gonna start saving, if it's around 500 i think that's totally fair!

BRING IT! LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY MACROSS! YOU F'N BEAUTY! Only thing that makes me sad is that it's next year. T_T

Can anyone imagine them making a Zentran Bretai command????

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie