Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

I was told about the new price over the phone from a local Macross fan yesterday and the first thing that came out of my mouth on the price was "What the f#ck?!"

I WAS also willing to put down money for this before the official price announcement but Yamato has some serious misconceptions of the global economy and how to treat their fans.

I'm sure they can sell the same number of units as the first issue exclusive 1:1 helmets, which were reissued later at a fraction of the price. They screwed those initial fans who bought into the exclusivity then but then removed the chest armor for the 2nd issue.

What would they do with the SDF-1? Sell less than 10 units, then reissue it 6 months later with no interior for a fraction less? Why not guage market sales and adjust the price accordingly to help sell more units to amortize their molds?

If I can buy a 45 inch tall unpainted ULTRA detail 1/35 EXS Gundam resin kit for 1600 USD, or a mass production Hot Toys 1/6 Batman Rumbler for 400 USD, why can't Yamato figure out how to cost it down reasonbly?

It better have MORE details than the 1/35 Gundam EXS and more playability than the Batman Rumbler with led lighting, motorized mechanisms for transformation, sound chip with all the bridge sounds + Minmay singing DYRL in DTS-ES surround sound, and FULLY PAINTED and ASSEMBLED to justify their asking price or damn them forever to produce those unsellable, overpriced PVC girlie figures that are taking up too much shelve space for much better toys.

Yamato - so much hope, yet so much dissappointment.

Actually - that's a good point. It should at least have a sound system that blairs out Do You Remember Love :)

Pete

Oh man! I was expecting quite a bit of text from you. It is SOOOO unlike you to just have a one-liner..... :lol:

But really, I always like to read a well argued... erm, argument. ^_^

Actually, I'm ready to pay $2K for a completed toy. But to make it online Japan-only exclusive, and then only a unfinished, resin kit is really pushing me to hate Yamato. (They're becoming a Sony, imo)

Anyway, my tiny Yamato boycott is officially over. I pre-ordered 2 snow-white VF1S in place of my cancelled VF22Ss & 1C. ^_^ And I'm still buying their "overprice" girlie figures. I didn't cancel my orders of those... :o

What to do, once an otaku... :lol:

p.s. Having the song "DYRL" playing out of the SDF1 is a good idea. Maybe some fans will be able to install a MP3 player and speakers into their $2000 SDF1...ARGH!!! I just had the image of BOMMBAA flashed into my head... :lol:

Edited by blacklotus

Dang, Yamato is such a tease. They make a big deal out of the Macross, tease us with pics of it and lead us to believe it was going to be a toy (other than the fan racer, they don't really make models do they?), and then much later on do they actually reveal that it is just a model and is going to cost over 2 grand. Why do they put so much effort into making this and then make it so that the smallest number of people possible will be able to actually purchase it due to very small number to be produced and high asking price? Will they even come close to making back what it cost them to sculpt and produce it with such a limited release and high price?

If I can buy a 45 inch tall unpainted ULTRA detail 1/35 EXS Gundam resin kit for 1600 USD, or a mass production Hot Toys 1/6 Batman Rumbler for 400 USD, why can't Yamato figure out how to cost it down reasonbly?

First off, the G System stuff is done in China with little or NO licensing. Secondly it's Tumbler not Rumbler. ;)

Obviously they screwed the proverbial pooch on this one.

For $2300 plus over $100 shipping, Mari Iijima herself better show up at my doorstep and hand-deliver the damned thing dressed in her pink and white DYRL costume, and perform live!

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Man, I'm really late responding to this, but man is this ever sad news. 'Specially in this current state of economics.

Hey Graham, do you know anything that might cheer us up over this?

- Nghia

For $2300 plus over $100 shipping, Mari Iijima herself better show up at my doorstep and hand-deliver the damned thing dressed in her pink and white DYRL costume, and perform live!

A round trip flight to Japan without being discounted would cost me about 2 grand.

Jus sayin

Although the price point is above and beyond my ability to justify and it's not something I was ever really interested in buying.. I can't wait to see what people do with these.

Jesus Christ! I think its pathetic that a bunch of grown men act like its the end of the world or something. SUCK it up and move on....

WE PLAY WITH TOYS! Where have you been? Of course we're going to act like this. This is the Otaku equivalent of getting a sensual massage coupon and finding out that you still have to pay $1500 for the happy ending.

Oh man! I was expecting quite a bit of text from you. It is SOOOO unlike you to just have a one-liner..... :lol:

But really, I always like to read a well argued... erm, argument. ^_^

Sometimes the best arguments only require a one liner.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

I wonder if someone crazy enough would buy this and then smash it into a million pieces and put it on the net like those "smash my PS3/XBOX" youtube vids, hahaha

Wouldn't it just be easier to burn 2500 USD?

Pete

Jesus Christ! I think its pathetic that a bunch of grown men act like its the end of the world or something. SUCK it up and move on....

Yeah, i think we should move on & think about what other new stuffs coming in 2010.

WE PLAY WITH TOYS! Where have you been? Of course we're going to act like this. This is the Otaku equivalent of getting a sensual massage coupon and finding out that you still have to pay $1500 for the happy ending.

That was awesome cobywan!!! And yes We Play with toys, build models & watch Anime... probably way to much, but screw it, its what we love!!

Someone should change this thread's title to Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS, The Fortress that Costs the Mostess

LOL....

Anyway hopefully they make a toy out of this instead of a model kit. I could probably irk out sme money to get a toy version but thats price is stretching it.... but a model kit thats a no. Just waiting patiently and see what happens next.

I might consider $1200 for a super duper detailed resin kit of the TV series Macross that transforms. It could be done. Does anyone know the people at G-system?

Actually shortly after the ThunderHammer, we started talking about doing the DYRL Macross at 1/2000 scale. Which would be 6 inches bigger than the Yamato. Fully transformable and superdetailed. And casted in color for people that didnt want to paint it. We were looking at between $500 and $800 (depending on how complicated the transformation was). We thought that it was doable. Then I guess someone in HK found out about the roject and told us to forget about it because Yamato was coming out with a toy. It was safer to come out with a kit back then because there weren't so much toys to compete with. But now the licenses are being given out like crazy, I'm not sure if its even worth a try.

And to think... for one of these you coulda had both versions... lol.

Actually shortly after the ThunderHammer, we started talking about doing the DYRL Macross at 1/2000 scale. Which would be 6 inches bigger than the Yamato. Fully transformable and superdetailed. And casted in color for people that didnt want to paint it. We were looking at between $500 and $800 (depending on how complicated the transformation was). We thought that it was doable. Then I guess someone in HK found out about the roject and told us to forget about it because Yamato was coming out with a toy. It was safer to come out with a kit back then because there weren't so much toys to compete with. But now the licenses are being given out like crazy, I'm not sure if its even worth a try.

And to think... for one of these you coulda had both versions... lol.

Care to take another shot at this :D I know Im not the only one that want this...

Edited by Hikaru VF-1S

First off, the G System stuff is done in China with little or NO licensing. Secondly it's Tumbler not Rumbler. ;)

Obviously they screwed the proverbial pooch on this one.

Ah missed that about the spelling. Was hating too much to realize it, even though I have my Tumbler in the other room. :D

The G System item is non licensed but even with a 20% licensing fee, it would still be only 1920 USD and is in fact a lot bigger and better than what Yamato has shown. That is list price and can be obtained for a lot less if you know where to look. ;)

And if Yamato comes out with a resin kit, they save a lot of money on the molds... no plastic, no steel molds... just resin molds... and we all can guess how much those would cost...

I think its time for Captain America to save Macross fans again!

have requested clarifying information from Yamato, stay tuned.

However, as far as I know (although this information is a bit old), it will be sold assembled and pre-painted.

The resin used is not the same type of resin used for garage kits, I was told it is used in the automobile industry and is supposed to be very strong.

The reason I was told for not using ABS is that the injection molding machines in the Chinese toy factories cannot handle the large size of some of the parts.

Graham

have requested clarifying information from Yamato, stay tuned.

However, as far as I know (although this information is a bit old), it will be sold assembled and pre-painted.

The resin used is not the same type of resin used for garage kits, I was told it is used in the automobile industry and is supposed to be very strong.

The reason I was told for not using ABS is that the injection molding machines in the Chinese toy factories cannot handle the large size of some of the parts.

Graham

Thanks Graham! I knew you would get to the bottom of this for us!