Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

Well...this didn't turn out to be vaporware, but it may as well have been. Hats-off to those crazy/rich enough to throw over $2k + shipping (I don't EVEN want to think what that'd be!) on this. My sense of nostalgia would have to override everything else in my life, including my marriage, kids, bills, and food (no matter how many Big Macs that may be) to justify buying it. Definitely a pass...

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

http://www.yamato-toys.com/ec/items/detail.php?gid=1523

I see no indication that this is any sort of "special-super-more-expensive-than-the-one-we'll-put-together-for-you-later" deal. Yamato obviously saw the production cost of making this toy, saw the recession, and had to make a choice - make a $5000 toy and try to sell it at mass retail, make a much smaller toy that's STILL very very expensive and try to sell it at mass retail, or make what they do have available to try and make at least some people happy by offering a $2000 model kit that they don't have to mark up to compensate for wholesale discounts.

EDIT: and if they DO somehow make this available at a later date at a fraction of the price, assembled, painted, what have you, it'd be a rather audacious kick in the nuts for the devotees who plonk down the nearly three thousand dollars after fees and shipping to get this "kit".

Edited by QuinJester

i'm staying optimistic about all this until i'm proven wrong.

so far, the 2 sets of differently colored & painted Macross(es) are telling me that there might possibly be a cheaper, pre-assembled, painted toy in the works.

my scientific, wild-ass guess is that the final retail version is the one showing up in the trade shows.

plus, the quick & dirty translation of the product description seems to say something related to "modelers" & "garage kits"

but yeah, i could be wrong.

that's ridiculous... if it wasn't limited it wouldn't be that much. I don't get the point of making it and then limiting it to a smalll run.

It's kind of a slap in the face to the people that supported Yamato Macross toys for this long...

Don't want to be an A$$ but it's actually a little bit more than U$S2.000

JPY210,000.00 JPY = USD2,306.87

1 JPY = 0.0109851 USD 1 USD = 91.0326 JPY

I want to be as optimstic as possible, but I don't see a toy version in the future for $500 :mellow:

I'd fork over 2000 bucks for it if the thing wasn't so boring. I mean - this HAS to be a result of the 1/2000 NOT being mass produced and indeed just a case of Yamato doing it "per individual order" - period.

Anyways...I'd rather Yamato made a 1:1 Minmey Doll with oral motor capabilities in her mouth.

for singing of course...

Pete

damn even if i picked up more patients and actually managed to save up for that thing.. I still wouldn't feel comfortable about it.. i mean thats like a 24mp Camera price..or equivalent to a trip for that matter..ergh.. just feel disgusted. I supported yamato by buying multiples of almost everything they produced even the flawed valks with QC issues....close to drawing the line..

When they said that the Beagle Mospeada was going to be $600 I didnt want to get it even though it wasn't so far out of reach because I wouldn't have been able to play with it. At $500 I probably wouldn't have transformed the Macross that much but I'd be happy to display it and pick it up. At $2000 I'd be to nervous to have it around. But as limited as it is, I think Yamato has already pre-decided that it's not for me.

May it is just a marketing trick. When they bring out a mass produced and less detailed version with ABS/POM for 80k yen, we will all think it is a great price. :ph34r:

That's all I can say for now, I'll chime in with more when more official information is out.

Save, please save us from all these speculations and google translation! :lol:

Edited by CF18

that's ridiculous... if it wasn't limited it wouldn't be that much. I don't get the point of making it and then limiting it to a smalll run.

It's kind of a slap in the face to the people that supported Yamato Macross toys for this long...

You produce a really small run when the profit margin sucks. It's typically a matter of necessity, not an attempt to screw the 'true fan'... Yamato likely went waaaaaaay over the top in the process of making this and realized it had outdone itself, and is not trying to recoup something.

Maybe Yamato hasn't made the steel molds needed for a big production run (which would cost them a whole lot of money!!). This could explain such few units planned. They will have less production costs and the direct sales to customers will mean a higher profit margin. Maybe the SDF-1 is completely produced at Yamato's headquarters (sort of handcrafted versus mass produced in a China factory)

My wife and I own a clothing company with 9 stores (we also design and produce all the clothes). Five stores belong to us and the other four were sold as franchises. Short example: our products have 100% mark up, a $100 retail price jacket costs $50 wholesale (production cost between 12%-15%= $12/$15). What I'm trying to say is that we get a lot more money on our direct sales to the customers than when we are selling wholesale.

I don't know Yamato's costs but 100 units at $2000 means $200.000 to them (again, I'm not counting thier cost). If Gamlin's VF-22 was really limited to 1.000 units and it still has not sold out could they really sell 1.000 SDF1's at a lower wholesale price and make profit???

It's the endles discussion: niche market - niche product => very few units produced that cost $$$$!!!

I have the money, but I won't spend the $3.000/$3.500 it will cost me to get it and import it to Argentina.

Polyurethane Resin. Not sure what exact spec they are using but it PE is used for stuff like the rocker covers on your car engine and dashboard mouldings. Its quite different from the typical resin used in garage kits.

I wouldn't cuss out Yamato for pricing it over-the-top. I'm thankful that there are a bunch of banzai nutters out there making this stuff so I can at least look at pretty pics.

After all, 200k x 100 units = approx usd 200k. Its not a _lot_ of money for a company to make given the effort and costs needed to do a project like this.

Hmmm, this does make the 38 inch Executor I was eyeing look cheap though.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

A $3000+ Canadian funds Macross model!

(shipping and customs included)

Nooooooooooooooo!

I'd almost consider selling half of all the toys I have right now to get just one,

if it was completed like the master replicas millenium falcon prop model.

Oh, well.

A $3000+ Canadian funds Macross model!

(shipping and customs included)

Nooooooooooooooo!

I'd almost consider selling half of all the toys I have right now to get just one,

if it was completed like the master replicas millenium falcon prop model.

Oh, well.

yeah, but that's the problem it doesn't look like it has either the detail or the paint job of a master replica. Oh well. I guess I'll pick up a Wave and be done with it.

At least I'll have a nice big quarter

Edited by eugimon

Well...this didn't turn out to be vaporware, but it may as well have been. Hats-off to those crazy/rich enough to throw over $2k + shipping (I don't EVEN want to think what that'd be!) on this. My sense of nostalgia would have to override everything else in my life, including my marriage, kids, bills, and food (no matter how many Big Macs that may be) to justify buying it. Definitely a pass...

Not Nostalgia for me... if i had to seek for any stupid think i whatched as a kid, my house would be fuull of trash, and even my brain...Macross is just one of the few very good science fiction animes of all times that s all.

but with a price like this yamato is going to close...i think

So....how come nobody is talking about recasting this yet? :p

It'd be silly to even consider recasting it. First of all it's not even produced yet far from being an out of production kit from a defunct company.

Second, who would take apart a 2k kit to recast

third the cost of recasting that size won't be worth it

fourth, you can't reproduce the joints required to transform it.

The special material they're using for this piece can't be replaced by regular resin

you're better off building one from the ground up.

It'd be silly to even consider recasting it. First of all it's not even produced yet far from being an out of production kit from a defunct company.

Second, who would take apart a 2k kit to recast

third the cost of recasting that size won't be worth it

fourth, you can't reproduce the joints required to transform it.

The special material they're using for this piece can't be replaced by regular resin

you're better off building one from the ground up.

Well yeah, that was kinda my point. See the " :p " in my previous post. ;)

Edited by eriku

Please god, delete all the post icons faces in the world...

Sorry, I'll translate my post for you.

So....how come nobody is talking about recasting this yet?

*I am now blowing a raspberry at the ludicrous idea of recasting such a limited and expensive kit*

Is that better? ;)

Oops, sorry..

*I am now winking to show that I am just goofing around*

Back on topic

Out of curiosity, considering this kit is going to be different from regular modeling plastic and resin, what kind of glue would be used to put something like this together?

Edited by eriku

Ugh. I was really willing to put down 500-600 when I started seeing the more recent pics of this thing, but now I realise its just for the hardcore collectors. It's not that I dont love Macross enough, but just think of how many sweet 1/60 or 1/72 fighters you could buy with $2,300. Would you really feel that its worth trading in $2300 of 1/60 fighters to attain a single SDF monolith? I never really felt that the SDF was the main star, but rather nice support in the backdrop, and thus to me, I can't justify such a massive price tag.

Owner of a Wave SDF-1 crew singing in.

Laugh all you want about it's size and price point.

Who's laughing now? It hurts doesn't it?

:lol:

Well, those that were saving the money can now buy the two Wave versions (to keep one in each mode) and have left over for some 1/60's.

This is what happens when you go DYRL? instead of SDFM. The movie SDF-1 models can never satisfy but everyone loves the TV brick. Those fly swatters are jinxed.

Edited by Twoducks