Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

That's about 3 Valkyrie Fighters (VF-22, 2xVF-19), but when said as $550 it seems like a lot more.

Exactly. On Overdrive I've got the VE, VT and VF-22 ordered. That's ~$600 there w/o shipping and EMS'd separately. I'm not batting an eye on not wanting this.

As for detailing, I wouldn't mind detail but I hate it when the details are so fine/fragile that you have to be careful grabbing the toy. Wave SDF1 for example. Nice detailing but if you accidently pick up the toy by the boom spikes, well, it's plastic and bendable. Not rubber bendy but "bend too much and break". In 1/2000 scale I would imagine that that wouldn't be a problem.

You guys can talk all you want about how "uber-awesome" or whatever a 1/2000 scale SDF-1 would be, but realistically how many of you are going to fork over US$550 plus shipping for this?...

That is a good point but I think that a lot of people here have already started saving and are willing and able to fork it over.

This is what I would do if I was YAMATO...

1) Release the planned 1/2000 scale giant SDF-1 for those who have the space and money

2) Release a 1/3000 scale (like the size of the old Takatoku) DYRL SDF-1 for those who do not have the space and money

3) Release a 1/300 scale SDFM version SDF-1 as well.

That is a good point but I think that a lot of people here have already started saving and are willing and able to fork it over.

This is what I would do if I was YAMATO...

1) Release the planned 1/2000 scale giant SDF-1 for those who have the space and money

2) Release a 1/3000 scale (like the size of the old Takatoku) DYRL SDF-1 for those who do not have the space and money

3) Release a 1/300 scale SDFM version SDF-1 as well.

Please, Yamato?

We deserve the 1/2000 DYRL? Macross!!!!!

Sorry but I don't buy the $$ or little space "issues". A lot of us have the VT-1, VE-1, VF-22, VF-1J CF, VF-1A TV CF on preorder!!!!! That's more than $500 combined. I'm not even adding the upcoming 1/60 Armored Ozma, all the 1/60 VF-25 DX's we bought this year.

Obviously food, health, kids education come first, but I WMAO (work my a s s off, so to speak ^_^ ) so I demand the 1/2000 :lol:

I'm just expressing what I wish, so don't stone me!!

I would MUCH prefer 1/2000. The SDF-1 should be a centerpiece.

Exactly. On Overdrive I've got the VE, VT and VF-22 ordered. That's ~$600 there w/o shipping and EMS'd separately. I'm not batting an eye on not wanting this.

As for detailing, I wouldn't mind detail but I hate it when the details are so fine/fragile that you have to be careful grabbing the toy. Wave SDF1 for example. Nice detailing but if you accidently pick up the toy by the boom spikes, well, it's plastic and bendable. Not rubber bendy but "bend too much and break". In 1/2000 scale I would imagine that that wouldn't be a problem.

YEAH!!!!

While a 1/2000 SDF would be cool and something to be admired with, I wonder how many people can afford to house one at home in Japan.

Would someone living in Japan shred us some light?

I live in a 1 room apartment in Japan and I have plenty of space to display my collection of Yamatos, aswell as 8 games consoles, various electronics (VHD player!) and 2 racks of clothes that won`t fit in my closet. There would be plenty for the SDF 1 too.

Its not the size of a car or anything you know..

Edited by MilSpex

where are those from? :blink:

I am having trouble remembering exactly. I found them from people posting on MacrossWorld the links to both of them but I forget which thread and I dont have the URLs anymore. IIRC the Wooden one was from a group in Japan and the Painted one was from someone in China. Someone here will probably know the specifics. Both were very impressive. The wooden one was transformable too....

post-4840-1245279272_thumb.jpg

1/300 scale, definitely. I want me my 15-foot-long SDF-1!

1/300 scale sdf-1? BRING IT ON!!!! :) THE BIGGER, THE BETTER!!! I have always been of the mindset that yes, the sdf-1 should serve as a centerpiece to any macross collection and should in no way be anywhere near sizewise to other macross stuff out there. I do know that pricewise the cost of a 15-foot long sdf-1 would be astronomical and I would have to maybe sell an organ or two to make the money to buy it. (hehe, maybe not, but I would definitely cut back on a lot of stuff just to scrounge up the funds for it), thinking about it though, after decades of waiting it would be something to aspire for. Realistically though, I hope they at least release the one they originally intended to at around two feet and it doesn't go the way of the 1/60 destroid monster. And yeah, I do prefer the tv version if they could.

I live in a 1 room apartment in Japan and I have plenty of space to display my collection of Yamatos, aswell as 8 games consoles, various electronics (VHD player!) and 2 racks of clothes that won`t fit in my closet. There would be plenty for the SDF 1 too.

Its not the size of a car or anything you know..

May I ask how big you 1-room apartment is? 1-room can still be big...

What is the typical apartment size in urban areas of Japan?

Thanks!

1/200 would be better.

Yes, because it pulls the length pun in.

1/200 it is, Yamato! Get to work!

@Lotus: I have that old thing. It's sitting in my garage, filled with old Luke, Lando, and R2... And many, many more.

Grandma spoiled dad in the 80s.

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

Yes, because it pulls the length pun in.

1/200 it is, Yamato! Get to work!

@Lotus: I have that old thing. It's sitting in my garage, filled with old Luke, Lando, and R2... And many, many more.

Grandma spoiled dad in the 80s.

Yup. Those were made by Kenner toys. Unfortunately I had to throw my old play figures away (about 2 dozen) as the arms and legs have turned sticky. (I think the rubber/plastic melted in my country's hot and humid climate) :mellow:

Same here, except I'm still not a dad yet. :lol:

Comparing the modern toy lines with those of the bygone era of the 80's is never a fair one. I get this same argument from hardcore collectors at work over the new GI Joe line. Back in the 80's, the mantra truly was "bigger is always better" in the toy industry. It was the decade of greed; the "Me" generation where the world economies and stock markets were booming. Hasbro never batted an eye at releasing a 7-foot-long aircraft carrier for 3.75" figures...or huge multi-level Defiant Shuttle playsets that could hold literally 50+ figures comfortably. And this is what a lot of the older collectors want to see again: vast aisles of huge product from one specific toy line (in this case, GI Joe) with four or five different big-ticket playsets dominating the bottom shelves. It must be a nostalgia thing...lol

Back in the day, stores allocated shelf space a lot more liberally to a particular toy line than they do today. In 1989, you would have seen an entire (or mostly entire) aisle dedicated to GI Joe merchandise. Not so in 2009. The TRU where I work generally only allocates 4 to 8 feet of shelf space per toy line, and sometimes more than one toy line shares that same 4 feet. Star Wars usually gets the lion's share of space at 8 feet, along with whatever movie-merchandise is currently being sold in tandem with its theatrical release. But everything else is condensed into 4 foot areas. The "BFM" Millennium Falcon was not purchased in huge quantities by stores last year, and were generally placed in floor stacks in the middle of walkways. And those did not sell well AT ALL for TRU.

And this is the major issue that someone at Yamato seems to have realized. Just because they COULD make it ridiculously large, doesn't necessarily mean that it SHOULD be done. And it definitely doesn't guarantee that the sheer size will make it a sure-fire seller. Quite the opposite in today's economic environment, just as Graham said. If you go back through this thread, you'll find several of us NOT living in Japan even wondering aloud where the heck we'd put a 2 1/2-foot SDF-1 in our homes...so its not like Yamato is totally off-base in rethinking the scale.

Either way, if it doesn't simply end up another case of vaporware like the Monster ended up being, it will be released in whatever scale Yamato ultimately decides upon...and we can all choose to purchase it or turn our collective noses up at it in favor of hoping that another company will release one the size of an '84 Buick at some point in the future. :rolleyes:

So tell me: how does comparing the situation at a domestic brick-and-mortar toy store (a store that generally sells items at a higher price and usually gets undercut by the clearance prices at stores such as Target and Wal-Mart) relate to purchasing a (most likely) imported toy that's unquestionably geared towards adult collectors and that a good chunk of us are gonna purchase from an online retailer?

Chances are most online retailers are gonna set up a pre-order for the SDF-1 to determine how many of these items to purchase (hopefully reducing the storage and slow-moving inventory concerns). If Yamato's done their homework right, they'll come across a price point, size, and design where they will sell enough of these SDF-1's to recoup their costs and make a comfortable profit. Hopefully, Yamato already did this analysis and talked with some of its retailers before showing the prototype they did earlier this year.

The other thing to consider is that Yamato announced this release over a year in advance, giving us all more than enough time to save and budget for this big bad-boy.

Now, no one ever said Yamato is off-base about rethinking the scale. However, a good chunk of us are voicing our opinion that we would prefer it if Yamato kept the scale as is.

Also, I still don't see how 2 1/2 feet is "ridiculously large." :rolleyes: About a third of that length is gonna be for the main guns anyways. The main reason I referred to those other toys is to point out that toys have in the past and in the present been made at that length.

For many of us, the reason we want the Macross at this size is because we want it to be obvious that this is the flagship and centerpiece of our collections. It's kinda sad when the namesake of the entire franchise gets dwarfed by its own Valks and destroids. Or in the case of the old 1/3000 versions, looking somewhat out-dated when compared to the more recent Yamato releases.

Now does this mean I want something "the size of an '84 Buick" as you hyperbolizes? Of course not. But I do want an SDF-1 that obviously looks taller and a bit larger than a 1/48 Valk in battroid mode.

To be honest, after getting the YF-21 and the Beta last year, there hasn't been too much mecha stuff that has caught my fancy as of late. About the only thing that can drag me out of my mecha semi-retirement would be a properly done, large-scale, TV-style SDF-1.

I want it in 1/60! Yes I know, what the **** am I on? :lol:

OK, not the whole thing, but the bridge area/head in 1/60. With all the bunny girls, Global, Claudia and Misa. How cool would it be to have the VF-01A Hiki or VF-01S Hiki posed alongside the bridge with Misa in view! :)

And internal areas of the landing bay which have bay doors and launch arms, and little mechanics... B))

Would also love a piece of the city inside to rebuild certain memorable scenes from both the series and DYRL. Especially Max's room when first gets it going with Millia. LOL :lol:

Edited by Omegablue

Yup. Those were made by Kenner toys. Unfortunately I had to throw my old play figures away (about 2 dozen) as the arms and legs have turned sticky. (I think the rubber/plastic melted in my country's hot and humid climate) :mellow:

Same here, except I'm still not a dad yet. :lol:

Er...

I mean my grandmother spoiled my dad 30 years ago.

Just to clarify. I mean, you make it sound like I'm a father. I'm only 15, and the world is not so frakked-up that a 15-year-old Macross Geek gets a chick pregnant :lol:

MOVING ON FROM THAT AWKWARD MOMENT

Macrossnake is right. 1/1! We'll put it on Odaiba island, next to RealG just to piss it off!

At this point I think, Yamato showed it. We drooled over it. We want it and we'll buy it. I'm assuming that the people that were excited about the 1/60 monster will buy this. Hell the people that forked over all that money for the big Minmay doll will buy this...at least that's the demographic that they are going for. Higher end product with higher end price tag.

Personally I'll buy it. Chances are I'll open it look at it and put it into storage but I want it. In terms of justifying it to my wife....don't need to. As long as our expenses are covered I can buy whatever the hell I want. Or I'll sell some other stuff to cover the cost of it.

Besides just because they release a huge SDF-1 doesn't mean they can't release a smaller one later, but I don't think they should forgo this one in favor of a smaller one.

My one critieria for buying this is that it has to actually be WORTH the $550. I don't want something like the old Matchbox SDF-1 scaled up. I want detail, little valks, little destroids, lights, etc.

dont think there were lights involved...

That's a good point thogh, they can make a smaller one later. make use of a good mold now.

I would buy a second one if they came out with an SDF version.

I say have Yamato make a GNU for the people that want a smaller one.

I want it in 1/60! Yes I know, what the **** am I on? :lol:

OK, not the whole thing, but the bridge area/head in 1/60. With all the bunny girls, Global, Claudia and Misa. How cool would it be to have the VF-01A Hiki or VF-01S Hiki posed alongside the bridge with Misa in view! :)

And internal areas of the landing bay which have bay doors and launch arms, and little mechanics... B))

Would also love a piece of the city inside to rebuild certain memorable scenes from both the series and DYRL. Especially Max's room when first gets it going with Millia. LOL :lol:

YES! I want the bridge in 1/60!!! More than a 1/2000 SDF. I will pay US$500 for it.

This whole idea also brings me to asks if anyone attempted any custom dioramas for 1/60 Valks?

Back on topic. For $500 for European and African EMS shipping works out to around 60% of the value, and also depends on the weight and size of the item's box. So for us in Europe and Africa, we're looking to pay another $250 to $400 on shipping! :(

I agree with EXO, release a Big SDF. A smaller one afterwards for those that can't justify the $500 plus uber shipping. And then produce the 1/60 SDF parts. :)

Edited by Omegablue

This whole idea also brings me to asks if anyone attempted any custom dioramas for 1/60 Valks?

Back on topic. For $500 for European and African EMS shipping works out to around 60% of the value, and also depending on the weight and size of the item. So for us in Europe and Africa, we're looking to pay another $250 to $400 on shipping! :(

I agree with EXO, release a Big SDF. A smaller one afterwards for those that can't justify the $500 plus uber shipping. And then produce the 1/60 SDF parts. :)

The 1/60 bridge diorama was something I discussed with Ron5864 a while back... it's funny that I find out that I'm not the only one that dreams about it...

but back to the toy in question...

Yamato's customers are made up of people that buy the same toy over and over, and puts them in displays across their rooms, builds dioramas around them, buys multiple shelves with glass covers and lights...

They expect us to buy repaints of those same toys and pay out the ass for "weathered variants" (with lackluster weathering I might add...) Thanks for thinking about our wallets... what's that? You want is to pay $200 plus shipping on a Max TV-1A? Sure thing Yamato... I got TWO kidneys... it's good to know you have our financial stability in mind...

What's going to stop us from buying one toy that takes up less space than three 1/48s? At least we only have to buy it once!!! $550 on ONE TOY? Hell yeah! That's a bargain...

They've realeased how many 1/60 VF-1s alone this year? and how much space does that take up?

Yamato should have thought about space and financial worries BEFORE they got into the business of making valkyries.

They didn't care about space when they designed those god awful 1/48 boxes... I can just imagine some poor Yamato executive in a small apartment asking himself "What have I done???" while being buried in boxes.

May I ask how big you 1-room apartment is? 1-room can still be big...

What is the typical apartment size in urban areas of Japan?

Thanks!

my apartment is about 16 square metres including unit bathroom and kitchen. about an 8 m^2 living area. pretty tiny.

Edited by MilSpex

Who cares! Yamato should bring out the BIG one for us that can afford the room and shipping, and those who can't can buy a smaller version, bandai will probably do it anyways.

Exclusify the 1/2000 and don't hold back on the features, like adding lights, sounds and uhh... tiny tiny destroids :D .... oo oo and the concert hall! okookok i'm dreaming now.

But yeah mass produce a 1/3500 or something.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

dont think there were lights involved...

Well I think it'd be a nice addition if they did. Didn't that huge Spaceship Yamato that came out a while back have lights and moving turrets? I mean I guess it'd be tougher on a transforming toy but maybe lights on the "arms"

For $550 that's the kind of toy I'm envisioning. Again sure $550 is a lot of money but if it's toy is quality and has good features then I'll buy it. And if they make a TV one then I'd probably buy that too.

Exclusify the 1/2000 and don't hold back on the features, like adding lights, sounds and uhh... tiny tiny destroids :D .... oo oo and the concert hall! okookok i'm dreaming now.

ooh, tiny destroids, me likey!

they definitely should make an SDF version then, with the daedalus having a flip open front...

i'll buy both versions, although i would prefer swappable arms.

I would not mind if they didn't include any random tiny destroid, but at least the valks for sure. What I would really like is a scaled and well sculpted monster destroid in 1/2000 scale

Well - I think the size is not the most important thing here - but what the thing can do. If it can't do anything and is totally un-complex then it'll be a let down.

So... I want to know more about features and less about scale.

Pete