Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.4

azrael

Just as a warning guys the small ball joints that connect the missile pods to the body upper body of the VF-25 can easily get stress marks. Mine are already showing a little so do be careful.

Hmm that sucks. Is it because the Ball joint is too tight? Looks like each release brings it's own (nasty) surprises. I really hope that they sort out their issues by the time they release the GBP Ozma! Especially the crotch locking issues that some people have been having, since GBP Ozma looks to be really top heavy.

The wingpod locking issue makes me wonder whether there is a special sweet spot for the hip armour as well?

About the colour issue: Maybe SK will retcon the different green's as the official colour scheme or movie colour scheme for Luca? :p Kind of like how he retconned the colour of the CF-0A.

So, wait, Mikhail's VF-25 ships later in the month, right? I ordered both at once, but it seems HLJ is shipping Luca's and still listing Mikhail as "March release". Kinda figured they'd hold Luca's and ship both to me at the same time. They sent me a payment notice for both a few days earlier.

So, wait, Mikhail's VF-25 ships later in the month, right? I ordered both at once, but it seems HLJ is shipping Luca's and still listing Mikhail as "March release". Kinda figured they'd hold Luca's and ship both to me at the same time. They sent me a payment notice for both a few days earlier.

That's weird. Michael's VF-25G was released earlier than Luca's RVF-25. I guess the demand for Michael's VF-25G is higher and HLJ has to wait for their second batch of stock?

Are you saying that there's no way to attach the gunpod to the RVF in fighter mode since the necessary accessory is missing? Does the bottom tail fin impede the attachment of the gunpod? Does the 25G come with an extra attachment for the regular gunpod (there are three types of attachments shown in Gamu review of the 25G)? If so, can that attachment be used on the RVF? Sorry for the bombardment...

If I remember correctly, the 25G comes with 3 semi-circle things for the sniper gun/ gunpods. 2 for the sniper and 1 for the regular one.

News update:

Because I mentioned in TD, when a TDer went out for his RVF, he double-checked the color. This is his sharing:

- When he checked the first one, he nodded that this is what I've reported.

- So he asked for a second box. He was WOWED! He saw 3 distinct greens in different parts.

- In the third one, he found it acceptable.

So far we have 6 samples!

If I remember correctly, the 25G comes with 3 semi-circle things for the sniper gun/ gunpods. 2 for the sniper and 1 for the regular one.

News update:

Because I mentioned in TD, when a TDer went out for his RVF, he double-checked the color. This is his sharing:

- When he checked the first one, he nodded that this is what I've reported.

- So he asked for a second box. He was WOWED! He saw 3 distinct greens in different parts.

- In the third one, he found it acceptable.

So far we have 6 samples!

Hey how did your exams go? Hope they went well!

Hmm so there is definitely colour variation, but the difference in colour is not constant in between different toys? That's weird. Are you able to get any photos of 2 toys side by side?

What a joke

different colors on rvf-25 on different boxing

I am so glad I was able to cancel my order on this one

I just feel sorry for those who have them shipped or paid already

I am surprised that they had no bad feed back as their display model was wrong too

not clearly visible on the pics but in the show room it would have been obvious

And don't tell us that Mr K has rethought the green color of Lucas

if so : I would like toys shop to displays clearly the real bird with missed colors on their web page.

as bandai is using 2 tones green on this one in purpose <_<

and do not hide behind : the production model can be different from the actual pics

the potential buyers are not always forum readers :(

sells are going to drop big time next week on this one ............

Lucas is going to be on sale soon

51.gif

Lucas failed during its mission

Edited by Ghostkiller

Hey how did your exams go? Hope they went well!

Hmm so there is definitely colour variation, but the difference in colour is not constant in between different toys? That's weird. Are you able to get any photos of 2 toys side by side?

Thanks! Think I did okay in the exams, but everyone will pass anyways unless one does not pay effort. But a better grade will make my tuition more worthwhile. ^_^

According to the buddy TDer's report, it seems that the difference is quite apparent across individual toys, and what's more puzzling is that it's of the same batch.

Regrettably I don't have access to 2 RVF-25's. Don't know anyone who will pick up 2...

Thanks! Think I did okay in the exams, but everyone will pass anyways unless one does not pay effort. But a better grade will make my tuition more worthwhile. ^_^

According to the buddy TDer's report, it seems that the difference is quite apparent across individual toys, and what's more puzzling is that it's of the same batch.

Regrettably I don't have access to 2 RVF-25's. Don't know anyone who will pick up 2...

Haha that's true--- the number of people who will buy their first one will be affected, not to say those who will pick up 2. Hmm... what could be the possible reason for the difference? It can't be my 2 source of parts explanation, since there are differences between individual toys. Nor can it be oxidation or any long-term chemical effects, since the toys are brand new.

Bandai or SK also clearly couldn't have intended for the parts to be of a different colour, again because of the individual differences between each toy (not to mention the conflict with the lineart).

Either way, this indicates sloppiness or negligence on Bandai's part--- really disappointing, especially since we will be reliant on them for all future MF toys. I hope they shape up for their future releases/re-issues!

Can anyone chime in on the response for the Luca from Japan?

Thank God I cancel my Luca preorder ages ago. My 25G arrived yesterday and it does have the same discoloration as mentioned by others. The hip armors are unexcusable. They remind me of the old 1/60 gbp armors. They constantly fall off at the slightest touch. Hell, all of the armor reminds me of the old GBP armor. Most of the parts don't feel that secure when attached. The ball joints on the shoulder missiles have me most concerned. I'm afraid that over time I will snap one of them during its transformations. After seeing the armor in person, I'm glad that I skipped all of the preorders for Alto's armor, because they don't feel that they warrant the hefty price tag associated with them.

I finally got my 25G today after two days of being held at the local post office. Many of the mentioned problems with loose armor and the locking peg for the crotch don't seem to be a problem on mine. The peg may or may not become a problem. I won't know yet unless I use it for a while. The hip and crotch armor seem to actually clip on for mine and don't fall off while I'm re-adjusting the legs or doing other stuff with it. However, I feel the 5-dot shoulder block is kind of loose for me and doesn't hold its position very well.

As for the color, under sunlight and the lighting I have in my house, I can see the differences in texture and color, but it's not as stark as that Luca photo. It's like 3 shades of blue on the plastic parts alone. The paint app is a little messy in areas and uneven in places like the white shoulders.

I found it odd that they put a lot of effort into minute detail into the areas that are hidden, obscured, or will rarely see, but the outer surfaces that are prominent lack many of the panel lines and such that you see on the model.

Overall, I guess I am satisfied with it. More so than I expected to be. It definitely looks pretty impressive in Battroid mode with the Dragunov sniper rifle and super packs.

My VF-25G came in today and yeah ppl were saying about the armor parts is true. Almost every piece is floppy and loose and falls off very easily sometimes... Its not a huge deal for me because I only pose my figures once in a while but overall I like the look of the toy. Most of us are used to the top quality QC that yamato offers with their macross line.

I'm sure bandai coulda done better but it appears that the team working on and designing these products are novices or are new to figure development altogether although I could be wrong. This definitely isn't something you can manhandle unless you want the armor parts to fly all over your house... NE way I hope the alto and ozma armor parts are more sturdy than this...

I finally got my 25G today after two days of being held at the local post office. Many of the mentioned problems with loose armor and the locking peg for the crotch don't seem to be a problem on mine. The peg may or may not become a problem. I won't know yet unless I use it for a while. The hip and crotch armor seem to actually clip on for mine and don't fall off while I'm re-adjusting the legs or doing other stuff with it. However, I feel the 5-dot shoulder block is kind of loose for me and doesn't hold its position very well.

As for the color, under sunlight and the lighting I have in my house, I can see the differences in texture and color, but it's not as stark as that Luca photo. It's like 3 shades of blue on the plastic parts alone. The paint app is a little messy in areas and uneven in places like the white shoulders.

I found it odd that they put a lot of effort into minute detail into the areas that are hidden, obscured, or will rarely see, but the outer surfaces that are prominent lack many of the panel lines and such that you see on the model.

Overall, I guess I am satisfied with it. More so than I expected to be. It definitely looks pretty impressive in Battroid mode with the Dragunov sniper rifle and super packs.

Hmm it's interesting that your hip armour is not loose but your shoulders are! That's opposite of what most people experience. Another sign that Bandai has loose tolerances on their moulds. Also where are the areas with messy paint app? I haven't noticed any on my Alto. Could you provide pictures please?

About the panel lines-- actually the toy has more accurate panel-lines to the show than the model kit-- the model kit has lots of additional panel-lines that never show up on any screen grabs, probably to make it look more 'realistic' so it's really a matter of personal preference.

Most of us are used to the top quality QC that yamato offers with their macross line.

Uh. What?

On my own Michel, the only armor part that's remotely loose is the hip covers, everything else locks great if you get it locked in properly. The chest piece, yes, will flop around, but only if you don't actually put it all the way on. The side covers will be a little knock-able-off-able, but only if you don't get them pressed in hard enough. The boosters are rock solid if you get them pressed down properly over the wing root and get the alignment pin into position on the forward spike.

Then again, maybe I just happen to have one with magically better QC than everyone else :p. Another MW staple!

Ok one way for removing the missile pods from the VF-25G with less stress on the ball joint is too go from the underside of the chest plate and using a small rod or chopstick pop the missile pod's ball joint out thereby re leaving stress from the ball joint. So yeah this way this should reduce any unwanted stress marks or breakages!

Just got my 25G in from HLJ! I've been looking through the forums for a video transformation guide but can't seem to find one. can someone please direct me to one?

Here's Wizartar's transformation vids.

Fighter to Battroid:

Is the G a pass? Other than the S Armored (which I have on pre-order) and the RVF, it's really the only other VF-25 I want, and I'm tempted to get one now while the exchange rate is decent. HLJ is on "low stock".

Vostok 7

Ack, just received mine. Turns out it was the Michel version after all. The armour is a floppy mess and hardly any of it feels at all secure. I'm still intending to get Luca's but I'm thinking I'm going to cancel my order for Alto's super parts. With Michel, once you put the armour on, it becomes a "don't touch!" display piece. Also, is it just me, or does the back leg armour prevent you from bending the leg back at the knee?

Hmm it's interesting that your hip armour is not loose but your shoulders are! That's opposite of what most people experience. Another sign that Bandai has loose tolerances on their moulds. Also where are the areas with messy paint app? I haven't noticed any on my Alto. Could you provide pictures please?

About the panel lines-- actually the toy has more accurate panel-lines to the show than the model kit-- the model kit has lots of additional panel-lines that never show up on any screen grabs, probably to make it look more 'realistic' so it's really a matter of personal preference.

Here's some examples of the sloppy paint applications:

Glob of white paint in the circled area.

post-10222-1238278966_thumb.jpg

Right shoulder paint is rough and uneven and a bit too thin as you can kind of see the blue plastic underneath.

post-10222-1238278972_thumb.jpg

Circled area of booster. Black paint is messily applied. The other booster looked fine.

post-10222-1238278980_thumb.jpg

Another thing I found annoying after trying to pose this thing is the rear leg armor attachment pretty much disallowing bending of the knee more than a few degrees. If you try to do more, the circled area will be pushed on and cause the armor to pop off. It's not a clip or anything that serves to hold the piece to the leg. There is absolutely no function for this extra bit and should have been without it to free up movement.

post-10222-1238278988_thumb.jpg post-10222-1238279887_thumb.jpg

Here's another curiosity though hard to see with the lighting I used to take the pic. The hip gun is made of different plastic as the part that has the armor attached is a darker color than the piece without. It's more noticeable in person. I don't know why they couldn't be the same color as they are basically the same piece but one has holes while the other doesn't.

post-10222-1238278984_thumb.jpg

Edit: Added extra pic of rear leg armor to clarify what part I'm talking about.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Here's some examples of the sloppy paint applications:

Glob of white paint in the circled area.

post-10222-1238278966_thumb.jpg

Right shoulder paint is rough and uneven and a bit too thin as you can kind of see the blue plastic underneath.

post-10222-1238278972_thumb.jpg

Circled area of booster. Black paint is messily applied. The other booster looked fine.

post-10222-1238278980_thumb.jpg

Another thing I found annoying after trying to pose this thing is the rear leg armor attachment pretty much disallowing bending of the knee more than a few degrees. If you try to do more, the circled area will be pushed on and cause the armor to pop off. It's not a clip or anything that serves to hold the piece to the leg. There is absolutely no function for this extra bit and should have been without it to free up movement.

post-10222-1238278988_thumb.jpg post-10222-1238279887_thumb.jpg

Here's another curiosity though hard to see with the lighting I used to take the pic. The hip gun is made of different plastic as the part that has the armor attached is a darker color than the piece without. It's more noticeable in person. I don't know why they couldn't be the same color as they are basically the same piece but one has holes while the other doesn't.

post-10222-1238278984_thumb.jpg

Edit: Added extra pic of rear leg armor to clarify what part I'm talking about.

Wow, I didn't know Bandai was having Toynami help out with the paint applications for the DX line... <_<

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Also, the easily scratched paint rears its ugly head again. Sloppy paint apps aside, mine came with the paint job pre-scratched up. Also, playing with it a bit more, yeah, already sent the message to Overdrive to cancel my order for Alto's armour. I'm almost glad Ozma's armour is a package deal, makes me a lot less inclined to want one right away as I already have the first run Ozma. Better off to wait and see if it has the same issues.

The lowest bidding factory wins for bandai's business. This factory must

Have satisfied bandai requirements but whether the factory has outsourced

Certain parts or it's within their own division, somebody is has gotten lazy

And now you have production flaws. I don't blame bandai because I'm sure

This isn't what they wanted.

Anyway for those of you that can't bend the knee w/ sp, use the OTHER knee joint

That's connected to the thigh. It's tuff to move at first, but it does move.

Anyway for those of you that can't bend the knee w/ sp, use the OTHER knee joint

That's connected to the thigh. It's tuff to move at first, but it does move.

I think I'm just going to try sanding down the leg armor so that it no longer gets in the way. It's just pointless excess that has no aesthetic value anyway.

I think I'm just going to try sanding down the leg armor so that it no longer gets in the way. It's just pointless excess that has no aesthetic value anyway.

I was curious about that solution as well. Let us know how that works out!

Also, the easily scratched paint rears its ugly head again. Sloppy paint apps aside, mine came with the paint job pre-scratched up. Also, playing with it a bit more, yeah, already sent the message to Overdrive to cancel my order for Alto's armour. I'm almost glad Ozma's armour is a package deal, makes me a lot less inclined to want one right away as I already have the first run Ozma. Better off to wait and see if it has the same issues.

I wonder how many people have canceled their pre-order for Luca already. I'm on the fence on whether I should cancel or not. With my luck, I might get one of the one that have distinctly different shades of green rather than just barely noticeable. It's also even more expensive than Michael's too.

However, this would pretty much be a last minute cancel as these things are out now, so I would feel bad canceling and leaving the place I ordered from stuck with the item. On the other hand, I would feel just as bad if the item was badly colored and having paid almost $200 after shipping...

The thing is I don't know if I will get a bad one or not so there's a chance I might get a good one and be happy with it.

So I guess the question is should I take the gamble or do I cancel... argh! Decisions!

Sigh... I guess I'll just wait and see >.<

Hi guys, just got my VF-25G 2 days ago. It didn't have the color difference problem or the loose armor issue.

But i am concerned about paint scratching after seeing so many reports on all the various quality issues.....

Wondering does anyone managed to get a RVF-25 without the different color tone issue??

I was curious about that solution as well. Let us know how that works out!

I just tried and while there's some improvement, I think I would need to a more U shaped hole into the top of the tip to get the kind of movement I want. I would probably need a dremel to accomplish that but I don't have one handy. So for now, I'll have to do as Negotiator mentioned to get more knee movement until I can get a dremel to try out my idea.

Reading all of these replies is making me think of how those of us who can't just stop over in Akihabara and pick one of these things by hand off a shelf are at a bit of a disadvantage when pursuing the collection of such pricey goods. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that my 25G will be a good one. I'm hoping especially for a positive experience since this is my first major valk toy purchase (I had forgotten in my prior post that I have a revoltech VF-1J as well as the chunky from way back when).

On another note, HLJ says that my order has shipped, but I haven't gotten a shipping number yet. My other purchase from them have been shipped via SAL, so I don't know if this is typical or not. Any insight you guys could provide would be appreciated.

Edited by wintermute