Hello, my name is Stick Bernard.

Vostok 7

[quote name='sidearmsalpha' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:53 PM' post='827612'

I have all three Aoshima versions because I liked the fact that they included the extra parts like the missiles under the intakes and the missile pod-thingy on the left arm. I haven't had a total dud yet, but they are on par with the Toynami versions, quality-wise.

thanks for the heads up sidearmsalpha, I'll take a swing at the Aoshima version. I like the little extra they come with as well. B))

The Aoshima is quite a gamble. If you must have one, you should know going in that it's quite possible to get one like the one I got:

aoshima001.jpg

aoshima002.jpg

aoshima003.jpg

aoshima004.jpg

aoshima005.jpg

aoshima006.jpg

aoshima007.jpg

I've never in my life beheld a toy so seriously flawed on so many levels. Thankfully I was able to return it for a full refund.

Eriku, sorry to hear and see your bad draw of the Aoshima Legioss. My experience w/ the Aoshima was completely different, as mine came out just as good, actually better than the Toynami. The fact that the ratcheted joints are there makes it even better, but then again, it's got the "box o' chocalotes" syndrome...You never know what you're gonna get.

Speaking of MOSPEADA stuff, I just got an old mag/book of MOSPEADA from I'd say the 80s, that's full of everything MOSPEADA, and has a poster in the first page. Pretty awesome, but slightly on the higher priced side. I'll scan a pic tomorrow.

Colors for the MAIA are pretty gay. I like the idea of new repaints using the Shadow Alpha molds, particularly if they could tweak them to get rid of the arched back (my single biggest complaint). I'd like to see them get Shadow accurate shoulders, too and maybe minor retooling for non-canon applications (Elint/AWACS, etc) and repaints (Max Sterling's 'Shadow Skull Squadron' anyone?) as well as the drone. I've been close to getting a CM on occasion, but am holding out hope for a Shadow Beta.

Of course, I REALLY like the idea of Toynami doing Invid mecha (5 packs of scouts, etc) and will almost certainly get at least one of their vinyl Regults to go with my Revos.

Eriku, sorry to hear and see your bad draw of the Aoshima Legioss. My experience w/ the Aoshima was completely different, as mine came out just as good, actually better than the Toynami.

That's part of what makes the Aoshima so frustrating. You might get a good one, you might get a cruddy yet acceptable one, and you might get an unholy abomination like the one pictured above. Seems to be an equal chance of getting any of those. -__-

Yeah that's pretty bad. Don't mean to make light of your misfortune, but I couldn't help but laugh at the crooked head pic.

Yeah that's pretty bad. Don't mean to make light of your misfortune, but I couldn't help but laugh at the crooked head pic.

:lol: I took these photos around three years ago so the pain has long since subsided. On the contrary, I usually chuckle whenever I dig out these photos and look at them.

The crooked head kinda gives the alpha a "clueless" look, almost like he's saying "Huh, me, don't I look pretty?"

I have a couple alphas that have the crooked head syndrome, and there is a way to fix it, but it's almost not worth it, with all the working you need to do.

Thank you for the heads up eriku!

Wow, who would think after all the years we waited to get a really good looking Alpha Fighter and the best we get are pricey toys plagued with defects and companies who act so oblivious to their faults its scary. At least my Blue BETA/Tread is top notch. Think I'll hold off of anymore Alphas for a w-H-ile.

As for enemy mecha, you'd think that would be a no brainer. Someone from MW needs to start a toy company. Seems to be more common sense here than else where!

Why vinyl? Who the hell makes collectible toys out of vinyl anymore since Takatoku released those crappy vinyl (it was vinyl, right?) Macross figures?! The last vinyl toy I ever saw was that very limited Galvatron figure that some small company put out.

Dude, what outworld colony have you been living on? Seriously?

Eva

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN950848

Tachikoma

http://www.hlj.com/product/FEW96103

Tachikoma

http://www.hlj.com/product/FEW96112

And of course, Bandai Creation USA's massive, mecha-mashing Mechagodzilla...

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/2426

And this doesn't even scratch the surface. I LOVE that someone's doing vinyl mecha, and doesn't cost $50-$85 even. Especially glad that TOYNAMI is doing it, since that means a much better chance of Invid/Inbit toys.

Edited by AcroRay

As for enemy mecha, you'd think that would be a no brainer. Someone from MW needs to start a toy company. Seems to be more common sense here than else where!

That someone would be broker faster than you can say Beagle. MW's consensus doesn't even begin to matter in real world toy economics. There's only ever 30 people signed on at a time, pretty low compared to any other forums. Seriously... go check out TFW, Hisstank, He-Man.org or any other 80s cartoon community... If a toy like the Beagle or Megahouse Ride Armors can't survive then there's no chance that any Mospeada enemy mech will make it outside of an WF exclusive.

Sadly, that's why the Toynami vinyl Regult makes sense... There's just not enough demand to market a full toy. (oh yeah, Robotech.com doesn't list out it's forums active members, but I've noticed that the posts get updated about as much or maybe even less than MW... don't quote me on that, just a casual observation.)

That's part of what makes the Aoshima so frustrating. You might get a good one, you might get a cruddy yet acceptable one, and you might get an unholy abomination like the one pictured above. Seems to be an equal chance of getting any of those. -__-

Yikes! I didn't know Aoshima has such lousy QC. Thanks for the warning. If I didn't know in advance, I would have thought that poor quality toy is a bootleg rather than the official release.

I myself bought the Aoshima Alpha Fighter model kits. So I can assemble and paint the parts properly myself. Also, it's much cheaper at 4800yen each as compared to 9800yen each for the toy.

Edited by blacklotus

The thing is, I still don't undestand how the beagle ride armor failed? I was sure something like that would sell huge because of how little has been done for mospeada.

Is it just bad timing?

Seems like there was barely any hype for it.

It was just bad timing really. Sudden over-saturation of the Mospeada line. Many Mospeada fans would have already paid for the over-priced CMs and Megahouse figures and didn't want to spend more on a reasonably expensive high-end toy.

Mospeada just isn't that popular. From what I heard, if it wasn't for Toynami's involvement it may never have gone to market at all. Which is a crying shame as I can't think of a better toy that was released last year... :unsure:

Still makes me sad to think about what might have been for Hoquet and Belmont. :(

Those figures can be had on Yahoo Japan auctions using something like Rinkya - but it could be pricey.

-- As for the Pod, I hope to get a few and support the release of enemy mechs, even if its not done extremely well.

I do like the size better than the Revys - but I might like the Revy sculpt better - will need to see it in hand . . .

I cant find any of these on Ebay. is no one selling these :(?

A couple of the guys here were selling extras. Be patient, I believe a couple more guys need to sort their extras. Keep an eye on the FS/T forum. I got a Ray from a recent sale.

Couple of pictures - sorry if I'm stepping on Genius' routine!

Ray figure with my only CMs Ried Armor example. Perspective's a little off due to my lense and the fact that the Ride Armor is standing just a little behind Ray. The top of Ray's head comes up to about even with the bottom of the sighting mechanism on the Ride Armor's chest. Note that Ray is looking downward, which means the figure really needs to be eye-level or above you to have a nice perspective of him.

CMsRayandDarkRideArmor.jpg

Here's the Ride Armor holding the Gallant rifle that comes with Ray.

CMsDarkRideArmorwGallantRifle.jpg

Honestly, there's not enough articulation in the wrist to allow the armored figure to hold the gun. I had to pull the arm off, push the hand on several times and squeeze it to the ball joint, put the arm back on, and then find just the right sweet spot to pose the arm so the hand didn't pop back off under the strain of the rifle against the forearm. Took me about 10 minutes to manage that for the photo. Then I took it off and normaled up the figure with the small handgun it comes supplied with.

The rifle is also too large to sling over Ray's shoulder. I can't tell if its out of scale, or just bigger and heavier a device as befitting an armored soldier. Either way, it means there's not much to do with the rifle.

So, I was rather disappointed with the whole deal. I think the SRP on the figure is too high (although I got mine very cheaply thanks to a member here), and even worse if you're paying a lot of secondary market fees. Taking a perspective typical of CMs little Mospeada toys, it isn't really unusual to find that the rifle is as ungainly as the rest of the Ride Armor figure and as over-priced. But, if you're resigned to that as being par for the course with CMs Mospeada products, you won't be surprised.

Edited by AcroRay

I haven't looked through my CMs figures yet but I'm still planning on selling all extras so stay tuned. In the meantime I have another review up at Anymoon.com... go check it!

Just let me (us) know when you are planning on selling, ok?

I would like some to complete my CM riding set one day. Due to a lack of new mospeada collectables, i've decided to start collecting them.

I must say even though the'll never hold a candle to the Beagle ride armors, they are not without their charm if you have few of them together.

(helmets on though because those face sculpst are ugly). The figure set is my chance to show some faces :)

Dude, what outworld colony have you been living on? Seriously?

Eva

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN950848

Tachikoma

http://www.hlj.com/product/FEW96103

Tachikoma

http://www.hlj.com/product/FEW96112

And of course, Bandai Creation USA's massive, mecha-mashing Mechagodzilla...

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/2426

And this doesn't even scratch the surface. I LOVE that someone's doing vinyl mecha, and doesn't cost $50-$85 even. Especially glad that TOYNAMI is doing it, since that means a much better chance of Invid/Inbit toys.

I guess I stepped on someone's vinyl tail. :lol: That's cool. I didn't realize it was still widely used as a material of anime toys. It just seems to be an odd choice from Toynami, but like it's been mentioned, I guess they're playing it safe on this. I hope their gamble works, and it sells out. Maybe, we'll see either more mecha, or a larger version with more bells and whistles, like a hatch that opens and a Zentraedi soldier.

By the way, anyone who has passed on the Masterpiece Robotech Rand Cyclone should check out this seller on eBay who dropped the price on them and is clearing them out at $119.95! He also has all the Betas down to $99.95!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROBOTECH-MASTERPIECE-R...=item3efca8d67f

Edited by sidearmsalpha

I haven't looked through my CMs figures yet but I'm still planning on selling all extras so stay tuned. In the meantime I have another review up at Anymoon.com... go check it!

I'm in for a set (could pass on the yellow dress figure), let me know when they're available, will check out the review . . .

I guess I stepped on someone's vinyl tail. :lol: That's cool. I didn't realize it was still widely used as a material of anime toys. It just seems to be an odd choice from Toynami, but like it's been mentioned, I guess they're playing it safe on this. I hope their gamble works, and it sells out. Maybe, we'll see either more mecha, or a larger version with more bells and whistles, like a hatch that opens and a Zentraedi soldier.

By the way, anyone who has passed on the Masterpiece Robotech Rand Cyclone should check out this seller on eBay who dropped the price on them and is clearing them out at $119.95! He also has all the Betas down to $99.95!

I buy all of my mospeada/robotech from that seller, in fact I will be receiving my Maia Sterling reissue from him this Friday. He is very honest and easy to deal with. I have been buying from him for about a year and a half. You can also go to his website where he has the same prices.

http://www.digital-toys.com/

I am not associated with the seller in any way, but he has really been helpful.

I guess I stepped on someone's vinyl tail. :lol:

Nah, not really! ;) I just think you're going to miss out on a lot of great (and less expensive) stuff if you dismiss soft vinyl ("sofubi") as a toy medium. Very little of the modern sofubi media is the kitchzy, 'art toy' segment of the hobby you're most familiar with.

I think the Inbit/Invid would lend themselves very well to vinyl, both in terms of design and manufacturing-cost/retail-response. Toynami has 3 products in their vinyl line which are generating a lot of positive sales, reviews and expectations - their Go-Lion Voltron, the Battle Pod, and an upcoming Dairugger Voltron. If the Regult does well, an Invid would be a high-probability item.

On a related note, Yamato has announced a 1/60 TV-style Macross Breetai figure as a natural companion to their existing mecha toys - which is exactly the same sort of thing we're talking about here with regard to Mospeada.

In the meantime I have another review up at Anymoon.com... go check it!

That was really a nice review. I think I'm inspired to see if my contact in Japan can get me one on the cheap. She scored the CMs Mospeada Dark 21 edition for me at about $15 last year - a request motivated in large part by your review.

- Ray

Seems like we're all firing off questions with little answers but here's a random one from me too:

What is a reasonable price to pay for the T-Rex Saddle bags? $50 ?

And does anyone have a source for these other than Yahoo Japan?

I'm not sure if $50 is high, but they are near impossible to come by. Where did you see them on Yahoo Japan? I've been looking for them ever since they were sold at wonderfeast.

Seems like we're all firing off questions with little answers but here's a random one from me too:

What is a reasonable price to pay for the T-Rex Saddle bags? $50 ?

And does anyone have a source for these other than Yahoo Japan?

Are you talking about those sadlebags for teh beagle ride armor?

I'd pay some good $$$$$$ for a set of those...:)

Wow, Thanks for the link. Got my first Beta (green) to match up with my Green Alpha.