Dollhouse (new series by Joss Whedon)

sharky

It's pretty funny when people complain about someone's acting skill when there are various examples of big name actors who are hugely successful and couldn't act to save their lives. Rarely are productions successful because their talent is superior.

I'll go back to watching Bring It On now :lol:

the difference is that tom, brad, angelina, whoever, only play 1 character in their vehicle. Eliza is fine as Eliza, it's when she's trying to be eliza being someone else that she runs into trouble.

I find the more recent episodes where she basically is just playing Echo to be far more enjoyable than the season 1 episodes where she was playing a proper Doll and imprinted with a different personality. Especially when she's acting in the same scene with Victor or Sierra who are also playing imprinted Actives but doing it in a much more convincing manner.

the difference is that tom, brad, angelina, whoever, only play 1 character in their vehicle. Eliza is fine as Eliza, it's when she's trying to be eliza being someone else that she runs into trouble.

I find the more recent episodes where she basically is just playing Echo to be far more enjoyable than the season 1 episodes where she was playing a proper Doll and imprinted with a different personality. Especially when she's acting in the same scene with Victor or Sierra who are also playing imprinted Actives but doing it in a much more convincing manner.

It's MOST obvious when watching Victor become an entirely different person every time he's imprinted. When he was imprinted with Topher's personality, he WAS Topher. That guy's a great actor. Eliza Dushku plays herself with a louder voice for some of the dolls she was. Her best work was as the mother who decided she wanted to keep the baby she was charged with taking care of. but again, acting like you love a baby isn't the same as acting like an entirely different character with a back story, past, etc.

I loved her in Bring it On though. The nice, bad girl trope is always groovy.

Eliza has some serious issues with her facial expressions but honestly I don't see Dichen or Enver acting any better. In fact they are kind of bad with their facial expressions as well but still better than Eliza. The acting in the show in general is pretty stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

So I heard Dollhouse was cancelled by Fox after the end of season 2 right? :(

I'm honestly getting reluctant to start watching any new sci-fi shows, espcially those by Fox if they are going to prematurely cancel them all the time.

First Firefly, then Terminator SCC and now Dollhouse. :(

Really, it's just seems not worth bothering to invest my time in a show and get to like it, if its just going to get cancelled.

Graham

SciFi TV shows get canceled a lot because of the budgets and yes it is kind of lame but that's the biz I suppose. Does kind of kill a person's desire to "follow" a series though.

I think Fringe is in danger of being canceled too?

At least I still get new Dr. Who, I think.

Was Summer Glau in Dollhouse?

She was in Firefly and Termniator....and The Unit which got canned now i think about it.

Hmm....

yeah, she guest stars in season 2. She was also in Angel which was cancelled despite relatively strong ratings.

• 3 weeks later...

No comment on the series finale? I liked it. I think two seasons is appropriate for the premise of the series. Disliked the Big Bad reveal. He just doesn't ooze evil. The Whiskey as Clyde vs. Echo fight was hot. Ending was a bit cheesy with Ballard.

vinnie

Spoiler tags if you please.

Season 2 hasn't even started airing here yet.

Graham

Can't you just stream it or torrent it? Anyhoo, I deliberately tried to be cryptic. I liked this series a lot for the philosophical, moral, and theological implications. I think the show as a whole couldn't succeed in the ADHD social culture that is prevalent today. It's cerebral nature made it inherently difficult to grasp.

vinnie

Can't you just stream it or torrent it? Anyhoo, I deliberately tried to be cryptic. I liked this series a lot for the philosophical, moral, and theological implications. I think the show as a whole couldn't succeed in the ADHD social culture that is prevalent today. It's cerebral nature made it inherently difficult to grasp.

vinnie

I could and I do with some series like Supernatural, but for other series, call me old fashioned, but I actually like being able to come home, turn on the TV at the scheduled time and watch a series in regular weekly installments.

With downloading, there's always the temptation to watch the whole series all at once.

Graham