Dollhouse (new series by Joss Whedon)

sharky

I think that that goes along with my personnal theory. I think that upload boy is actually a doll, he was considered not attractive enough to placed in active "Active" status so instead they uploaded the mind of the guy who developed the chair technology into him, possibly keeping his original personnality. Combine this with the statement that there are multiple Dollhouses around the world and you could have several of him running around, same knowledge, maybe slightly different personnalities in different bodies. I also think that Dr Saunders is an Active, probably one who was injured by Alpha during his escape, and because of her injuries they just decided to upload the mind of the previous doctor into her, maybe they downloaded her right before she died to be uploaded again later. Think about it, the technology would allow you to basically "learn" an entire college education in the time it takes to upload, heck I would rather pay for that to get my masters then trudge through another two years of school work.

I think that that goes along with my personnal theory. I think that upload boy is actually a doll, he was considered not attractive enough to placed in active "Active" status so instead they uploaded the mind of the guy who developed the chair technology into him, possibly keeping his original personnality. Combine this with the statement that there are multiple Dollhouses around the world and you could have several of him running around, same knowledge, maybe slightly different personnalities in different bodies. I also think that Dr Saunders is an Active, probably one who was injured by Alpha during his escape, and because of her injuries they just decided to upload the mind of the previous doctor into her, maybe they downloaded her right before she died to be uploaded again later. Think about it, the technology would allow you to basically "learn" an entire college education in the time it takes to upload, heck I would rather pay for that to get my masters then trudge through another two years of school work.

but if topher was a doll than that inhibition drug would have affected like the other dolls, memory flashbacks, instead he reacted like the other norms with just poor impulse control.

• 2 weeks later...

Joss made it up for the crappy way Wash died in Serenity by bringing him back in the most kick ass way in Dollhouse. If you haven't been watching, why the hell not? These last 5 or 6 episodes are amazing.

If they bring this show back... please please please spend more time on victor or sierra. For the love of god, a show about people who become different people should be acted by people who can act like different people.

Yes, I love Eliza, she's way hot and seeing her dance around in a short little skirt makes my heart go all dizzy in my chest but she really can't act like anyone other than herself. Which isn't bad, harrison ford and russel crowe have done this to great success but when she's supposed to be a different person every week it stands out. Especially when all the other dolls are so damn good at pulling off those paroxysms. I mean, when NSA dude realizes he's in Victor's body, that scene was amazing.

So bring it back, retool it so the time is spent among the dolls more evenly. And if those wannabe ghost whisperer plots must be told, have Victor or November or Sierra do it.

If they bring this show back... please please please spend more time on victor or sierra. For the love of god, a show about people who become different people should be acted by people who can act like different people.

Yes, I love Eliza, she's way hot and seeing her dance around in a short little skirt makes my heart go all dizzy in my chest but she really can't act like anyone other than herself. Which isn't bad, harrison ford and russel crowe have done this to great success but when she's supposed to be a different person every week it stands out. Especially when all the other dolls are so damn good at pulling off those paroxysms. I mean, when NSA dude realizes he's in Victor's body, that scene was amazing.

So bring it back, retool it so the time is spent among the dolls more evenly. And if those wannabe ghost whisperer plots must be told, have Victor or November or Sierra do it.

Sing it!

When Victor is the russian informant, or the boss lady's british, romance-novel love toy, to this episode where he was the NSA due, he is always an entirely different person- this is an acting class come alive for him.

And Wash... whenever my wife and I see him in anything... that commercial where he is a hostage at the bank to the previews of Dollhouse, we always cry out in unison "Wash!"

Goddamit, Alpha is a leaf on the wind. He's a leaf on the wind!

Yes, I love Eliza, she's way hot and seeing her dance around in a short little skirt makes my heart go all dizzy in my chest but she really can't act like anyone other than herself.

I said (well, at least THOUGHT) this when I first heard about the show. I *love* the concept---but when I saw her name, I knew it wouldn't work. At least for me it wouldn't work---I just can't see her as anybody else, because she can't act like anybody else! Heck, continue the show, but without her! Or kill her off and get just about any other actress as Echo #2.

I also think that Dr Saunders is an Active, probably one who was injured by Alpha during his escape, and because of her injuries they just decided to upload the mind of the previous doctor into her, maybe they downloaded her right before she died to be uploaded again later.

This is looking more and more likely. In the latest episode, as she was about to inject Victor-as-Dominic with a drug, he yelled "Whiskey!" at her, which she interpreted as a request for a drink, but like "Echo", "Sierra", etc. are names from the NATO alphabet.

• 2 weeks later...

I revise my earlier assessment of Topher. I think he is not a doll, just the person who helped to develop the latest level of active tech. I do think that he and whiskey/saunders have a history prior to them entering the dollhouse, their scenes in the finale all but confirm that. I don't think they were lovers, but I bet they were at least friends, maybe siblings or cousins, and he was working there first when she found about it and was forced to become a doll. I also think that her original personnality is probably something close to what we saw him turn sierra into for an episode.

I am stoked to hear Dollhouse somehow got renewed... the final was AMAZING. The Whiskey thing was a great catch, and I think Knight is on to something with the personality Topher imprinted in Sierra for the 'diagnostics'.

• 2 weeks later...

wow. That was unbelieveable! When this show started out i was very 'meh'. But around Episode 5 it really picked up, and by 12 it's really hit its stride as a fascinating and entertaining watch! And now we get a season 2!

This si why I ALWAYS give any show i start 5 episodes, unless the concept doesnt grab me. If i watch an episode and dont like the premise (Like i did with prison break and Dexter) then ill stop. if its not great but the premise is pretty cool, i stick it out for 5 episodes and see where it takes me.

It'll be a long time before I have enough time, but I figured I'd ask already.

Is it worth watching? Haven't followed this thread, this is my first post I think.

Any particular strong or weak points about this series?

The first 6 episodes or so suck... they're horrible on the verge of unwatchable but after that the suits leave whedon alone and the show comes alive. Well, except for one pretty bad episode, but definitely the last half of the season is worth watching.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Fixed.

Totally true, but the show was geting better and here's my armchair quarterbacking.... They seriously screwed the pooch on this one with the slow burn.

1. They should have aired Epitaph One, the unaired season 1 finale as the pilot for the show. or, the minute it was filmed, even if it was mid season, desperation should have lead them to make hard and unusual choices, things just moved way too slow season one to hold people's attention.

Lay out there how there actually is a huge, cool diabolical Sci fi plot to the show, because taking a season and a half to get past the faux prostitution arch was disasterous, peope don't have the attention span for it.

2. Intersperse future and present plot at once in the show. I can't think of the girl's name, but Teh Internetz kidz love her, the one from Epitaph one. Had they shown one Dushku episode, then one with her in the future and had the story meet up then have those two fighting the resistance or whatever for the conclusion, they could have perhaps squeezed out a couple more years and kept fans interested.

After the first half season or so, and defnitely after watching epitaph one, I was interested in the show and tuning in every week. Too bad he's got another one biting the dust.

• 1 month later...

This is really tragic- I guess no one's watching this last season.

Absolutely brilliant. The explanation of what the attic really is was elegant, old-school cyberpunk and perfect. The Kwizatz Haderach awakening from Dune that Echo is experiencing is awesome. It almost makes up for her terrible, terrible acting. Victor and Sienna's love affair is just like Fred and Wesley from Angel.

This whole season actually feels like that last season of Angel, when the show started to exceed your expectations at every turn.

DeWitt is the surprise of the show though- just like in Angel, you're being taken along for the ride as someone starts good, turns bad and turns good again. Awesome.

I'd spoiler text this post if it seemed like anyone still cared about this show. What a shame.

It's pretty funny when people complain about someone's acting skill when there are various examples of big name actors who are hugely successful and couldn't act to save their lives. Rarely are productions successful because their talent is superior.

I'll go back to watching Bring It On now :lol: