Macross Books

Penguin

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

Anything on the Large Missile at the top? LOL

image.png.7a018d92c7adb5c848d3dd62450e2a63.png

Aside from being the only item without either a scale (1/12, 1/100, etc.), it is also the only one by Arii (the others are all by Imai).  Perhaps it was released bundled with another kit?  (or simply not released?)

Correction, there's a ¥300 Arii kit (the GERWALK?) on the lower left.

Cover of the new Macross Packaging Artbook...

image.png

Source poster....ARII/IMAI Promotional Poster...

gallery_12176_640_6936.jpg

According to the book, this promotional poster was actually distributed to hobby shops across Japan a month prior to SDFM TV's first airing....which apparently was something that kits companies did not do....the usual process was to wait until after the TV show showcasing the kits aired....additionally, the first two kits that hit the hobby stores shelves were the 1/100 Defender and Glaug one month prior to the first episode of Macross hitting the airwaves.....ARII and IMAI then went into full Macross Marketing Mode to support their aggressive production schedule of roughly 1 new kit a week from September through December....

In the Package Variation section,  and later in the release section the Imai 1/5000 was not just considered or is unconfirmed. It was released! 
We know at least 2 boxes exist...the one in the catalogs that was on display at the trade show in 84, and this one below that showed up on YJ in 2018 (I lost-this was the pic from the auction)
:)

image.png.170b3dcf8dd08fab01a4a1c9215b18a7.png

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I've had the pics on the legacy models page for 20 years...yes the B variant is CONFIRMED 😛

image.png.83d7583fe73faa73d2955a7416afff68.png

image.png.9f8f09da48a130223b98179ae6076ac8.png

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

In the Package Variation section, the Imai 1/5000 was not just considered, it was released! 
We know at least 2 boxes exist...one in the catalogs, and this one that showed up on YJ in 2018 (I lost-this was the pic from the auction)
:)

image.png.170b3dcf8dd08fab01a4a1c9215b18a7.png

Amateurs!

Now you need to reply to them via twit-er and post your "proof"...

Well Ron from GTC did mention the A&B types were released in the US only, so it is understandable they are extremely rare in Japan.
I remember my friend Seiichi who used to run all the sales here in the early 2000s was also very surprised to see them He was the original Macross Otaku King, so I was shocked he had not seen them before, as he had seen everything released.

They are still quite hard to find here!

For anyone on the fence about spending the 5500 yen + 3000 in shipping....DO IT. I got mine from Amazon Japan.

This is not just a rehash of the same old line or cels we've seen so many times before in a 'New Macross Book coming', this has real-honest-to-goodness new items never seen before. There is a comprehensive list of modeling promotional materials and the kits themselves, most with little bits of information.
There are multiple engaging interviews and lots of information-and you don't need to know Japanese. Grab your phone, point the Google Translate app at a paragraph, rinse and repeat. Auto-Translate has come a long way-and this book is a great 'read'.

This is the book I've personally been waiting for since I became a Macross fan, I can't recommend it enough. You will not be disappointed!

Suzuki sadly passed away in 2020, but they have an interview with his son. When I read this except it broke my heart a little.
image.png.96611702e016c89fa369f880f2f0eba7.png

Yes Takani's art is always highly regarded and first mentioned, but Suzuki's talent was truly incredible and appreciated.

One example(my favorites of his)-you cannot look at a the Imai Legioss packaging and not have your draw drop. These pictures are unmatched.

image.png.c7de0c9d847db8420aee2042d0c7d9a7.png

image.png.745c2de21ed8efefbad3132216be2496.png

image.png.901f39f0b582399ed44c0dbdf5cbbe3e.png

9 hours ago, Shawn said:

There are multiple engaging interviews and lots of information-and you don't need to know Japanese. Grab your phone, point the Google Translate app at a paragraph, rinse and repeat. Auto-Translate has come a long way-and this book is a great 'read'.

100% agree with this...maybe their AI is finally getting 'smart' at Japanese translations...but yes, it was much easier to understand the text this time around...I usually have gotten good results with the small pic captions but not with large articles...this time I found less "nonsense" when translating the large articles and it was way easier to read and understand...

Edited by jvmacross

9 hours ago, Shawn said:

Suzuki sadly passed away in 2020, but they have an interview with his son. When I read this except it broke my heart a little.
image.png.96611702e016c89fa369f880f2f0eba7.png

Yes, also found that part of the interview sad...it's like he felt he wasn't good enough...

His art was mostly based on the lineart...but he took that lineart and filled it in with so much detail...to me what makes his art so cool is the inclusion of the "noseart"....awesome stuff

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

His art was mostly based on the lineart...but he took that lineart and filled it in with so much detail...to me what makes his art so cool is the inclusion of the "noseart"....awesome stuff

A couple of pics to highlight the Suzuki "plain" promo art used by ARII/IMAI pre-release of SDFM TV and "detailed" illustrations used on the boxart...

Plain Defender...

image.png.03243ce3a1fa51567c395d420d546bea.png

Detailed Defender...

image.png.3ab8fa53c37ea0941fc6a295cbc317e9.png

Plain Spartan...

image.png.a39a7c0e27f4ea58a51b281a3d4726c1.png

Detailed Spartan...

image.png.43b27b91b235b886141dc4d371c5473c.png

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

He was also suspected of doing the detail- up on Takani's 1/160 Monster...at least that is what the note on the pic said.

I hadn't ever noticed there were 2 variants before. 

Yep....the "plain" versions are used on both the eary promo ARII/IMAI poster....

image.png.1d73a9d6b4d8dbaff6d9c98906f20d8c.png

and the preview "Magazine for Anime and Hobby Fan" booklet released one month prior to SDFM TV first episode's airdate...

image.png.b3bbc03a4ce7777c758605414dd92328.png

I feel like I have also seen them elsewhere...perhaps on some of the Ohsato or Takatoku merch....but would need to look...memory is getting iffy sometimes...;)

Edited by jvmacross

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Yep...from the original Macross Chronicle run...issue 48

mc48.jpg

mc48_crusader.jpg

I've got that issue as well. I love the cover art on those Macross Chronicles.!

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

THOSE are the next two items I want from Arcadia or Bandai.

yes, totally !

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

I've got that issue as well. I love the cover art on those Macross Chronicles.!

This is why I decided to get the new non-Japanese Tenjin book(s)....several of his illustrations from the Macross Chronicle mags are in the book...makes it easier to look up images in the book than hauling out 100+ magazines to search for it....

Although it is also easier to find the pics online....but just seems nicer to have them printed in a book...lol

That is great news!...although there is alot of illustrations contained in the book, it is by no means exhaustive....I would hope a second volume would include the the art from the various children's books and magazines, the boxart from more obscure Macross kit releases, such as those from Morinaga, and perhaps illustrations used on the various toys beyond the SDFM/DYRL era...

I am glad that the art presented in the Macross Package Art Collection book has been preserved by BW...I can only assume that the wealth of art and pre-prodcution art must be considerable.....I am hoping that most if not all is still accessible to them and not "lost" in time...With that said, I am sure they have enough artwork and other Macross pre-production meterials to cover several volumes...I am definitely all in for whatever they release

On 2/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, jvmacross said:

Cool.  They had an additional 10% offer so I ordered 2 copies with another book for free shipping here instead.

I look forward to the next Packaging Art Book too.