Macross Books

Penguin

Oh heck yeah...this the book I've been threatening to make myself for the last 15 years using a 'make your own artbook' process

I've been waiting a LONG time for this! Its not just a book by the artists with a few Macross pics thrown in which we've lived with for 40 years before we got the Tenjin dedicated volumes.

This is to be THE book on vintage Macross Model Art.

I hope it sells very well, and they continue on with a volume 2 with art from post 1984 and include art from the Toys so we have it all in some definitive editions.
Can't wait! I had fun with the countdown timer, hope it is not too annoying for a little bit

Most of the "toy" art should be covered if they actually do a comprehensive job with the works from Artmic (Suzuki)...the toy boxart from the DYRL years has been covered in various other books that focus on the works of Yuji Kaida....

At this point....I would be surprised if any book would ever acknowledge Masami's contributions to SDFM-DYRL era merch and marketing.....

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Oh! I totally forgot about the sides of some of the Imai boxes!
They are including those in the book-awesome!

20190323_170140.jpg

Was the side of Kamujin and the 1/100 Super Battroid
image.png.5868de2280b9cc1a1a2a6e47a5bd9cc1.png

So back to nothing new? :rolleyes:

Still...will be worth having this stuff collected in one book rather than chasing down the multitude of kits!

I dug around and found my Takani Wonder Style book

I looked for the unreleased, and it says there was the 1/100 Factory. I did not know that that drawing was done by Takani!
I thought it was another artist for some reason.

image.png.35668b65df44e24018dacb3faea8e2ac.png

image.png.c1c7dac4b34a95073052fccb2f56f55c.png

Another one listed as unreleased was this Nichimo, but it was released-so perhaps the book had a typo.

image.png.8b966f458f70641d615931f11eda8325.png

image.png.718396cf2287b15b936b6c2babcff605.png

I DO wonder if there is a larger high quality picture of his VF-1J Gerwalk before all the white out was applied!

image.png.e5939d7e6370457a8373ff0e2b5c5774.png

image.png.4dad33e7acb8038be568ad368a7b6303.pngimage.png.618c94656ea5ebab333a4006d6f4adf8.png

That version is shown in the Imai 4 Type Series of kits. The VF-1J had to have its arms removed to line up with the others in the series.
The VF-1S and the VF-1A were done by Suziki, the VF-1J was Takani
image.png.70fdb008d111b855f89a3b700cc4088a.png

9 hours ago, Shawn said:

I DO wonder if there is a larger high quality picture of his VF-1J Gerwalk before all the white out was applied!

image.png.e5939d7e6370457a8373ff0e2b5c5774.png

image.png.4dad33e7acb8038be568ad368a7b6303.pngimage.png.618c94656ea5ebab333a4006d6f4adf8.png

That version is shown in the Imai 4 Type Series of kits. The VF-1J had to have its arms removed to line up with the others in the series.
The VF-1S and the VF-1A were done by Suziki, the VF-1J was Takani
image.png.70fdb008d111b855f89a3b700cc4088a.png

That would be a nice addition to the book...maybe pair it up with the story behind the green Tomahawk...

I think I have some wires crossed.

If this picture of the valkyrie hangar was from Shigeru Komatsuzaki (google to see his images, which are in this style)
https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/shigeru-komatsuzaki-macross-robotech-valkyrie-science-hangar-illustration-peinture-originale-1979-1980-/a/7257-51040.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

Then what was the 1/100 Imai Factory referenced in the Takani entry by him? I had assumed the pic above was the one referenced, but that would not be the case.
image.png.35668b65df44e24018dacb3faea8e2ac.png

Then the next question is, are these below also by Komatsuzaki? Or are they Komatsuzaki-like done by Suzuki, like he did with the Takani art?
Guess we have to wait another week (plus shipping) for the answers!

image.png.48deba8c2a3899cc7a50d1a02b6e1108.png

They may have goofed up by crediting Takani for that unused Hangar Illustration....the 1/170 Macross Factory kits do look like the same style as the unused Macross Factory kit...perhaps they wanted to release a 1/170 Macross Factory bundle (kind of how it seems a Max TV-1A may have been planned?), but instead went with the 1/100 bundle and used the Takani Armored Factory illustration to go with it?

factory.jpg

Wonder if they'll throw this one also into the book with an explanation as to why the kit did not make the cut?

24552338%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

My guess is went something like this! :)

Arii: "Hey Suzuki....we need a VF-1 Max Fighter please"
Suzuki : "No problem, here you go"
image.png.903dcba5d9ad71ece9f7a5a21ca14741.png

Arii: "Oh...sorry, should have mentioned Max changed colors to all blue and flies a VF-1J now"
Suzuki: "Oh...ok, I'll do a new one"

image.png.4c01a5d0ddd484610c0ffe788085b238.png

Arii: "Thanks! Hey we need a VF-1A Cannon Fodder fighter"
Suzuki grabbing his brown paint pallete:"No problem, here you go"
image.png.e982e47867d4b86979fa182098d2c517.png

What do you think? Repaint?
image.png.6bef095aaa54007ecd4e7c061979fe0f.png

10 hours ago, Shawn said:

My guess is went something like this! :)

Arii: "Hey Suzuki....we need a VF-1 Max Fighter please"
Suzuki : "No problem, here you go"
image.png.903dcba5d9ad71ece9f7a5a21ca14741.png

Arii: "Oh...sorry, should have mentioned Max changed colors to all blue and flies a VF-1J now"
Suzuki: "Oh...ok, I'll do a new one"

image.png.4c01a5d0ddd484610c0ffe788085b238.png

Arii: "Thanks! Hey we need a VF-1A Cannon Fodder fighter"
Suzuki grabbing his brown paint pallete:"No problem, here you go"
image.png.e982e47867d4b86979fa182098d2c517.png

What do you think? Repaint?
image.png.6bef095aaa54007ecd4e7c061979fe0f.png

I think it is not a complete repaint...slight variations...pilot....rear tail wing shape as it peaks behind left wing...

He probably did re-use some line art though...I think most of the Suzuki stuff is based off the lineart drawings...he just "fills them in" with paint and lots of detail...

Let's face it...the only old school artist who created his "own" Macross illustrations was Masami...lol...Suzuki used the lineart and Takani apparently was given rough sketches of "action" poses to base his illustrations on...Masami was the only guy who took the original lineart and painted the mechs based on his own "interpretations" of what they would look like in action...and even adding stuff you didn't know they could do or be armed with...LOL!

@seti88 posted this twitter link below yesterday. In an abundance of caution we removed it, the general rules we follow are here>

On 12/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, Shawn said:

The general unwritten rule is to tease an available magazine or book or whatever, something what a reviewer would do under a fair-use type thing
Enough to tease some good stuff to encourage sales or gain interest for the item. Definitely not full scans of the item, and yes there will always be 'what about' exceptions....e.g. the old Imai booklets or something odd like that.

Even in the old days when I did the magazine scans for the legacy site, I tried to balance what to show from articles from 1983. It seems silly I know, but it seemed like a good policy at the time. At least it let me sleep at night.
So just use common sense and imagine it was your intellectual property being shown as your internal limiter on the previews. Easy enough! :)

After further review, this link is FROM the publisher themselves, and is their own teaser to entice you to order the book, so we've reversed course and are allowing it to be posted again here (we want to HELP their sales, as it could lead to additional volumes!)

Thanks for understanding! And thanks @seti88!
And GO BUY THIS BOOK...it looks AWESOME WOW.
https://www.shogakukan-cr.co.jp/special/macrossart/

26 minutes ago, Shawn said:

@seti88 posted this twitter link below yesterday. In an abundance of caution we removed it, the general rules we follow are here

On 12/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, Shawn said:

The general unwritten rule is to tease an available magazine or book or whatever, something what a reviewer would do under a fair-use type thing
Enough to tease some good stuff to encourage sales or gain interest for the item. Definitely not full scans of the item, and yes there will always be 'what about' exceptions....e.g. the old Imai booklets or something odd like that.

Even in the old days when I did the magazine scans for the legacy site, I tried to balance what to show from articles from 1983. It seems silly I know, but it seemed like a good policy at the time. At least it let me sleep at night.
So just use common sense and imagine it was your intellectual property being shown as your internal limiter on the previews. Easy enough! :)

After further review, this link is FROM the publisher themselves, and is their own teaser to entice you to order the book, so we've reversed course and are allowing it to be posted again here (we want to HELP their sales, as it could lead to additional volumes!)

Thanks for understanding!
And GO BUY THIS BOOK...it looks AWESOME WOW.

After all those page flips...there's still around 100 pages of unseen material...so I guess there is still around 43% left to "surprise" us with...:rolleyes:

Talk about giving the milk away for free! LOL

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

After all those page flips...there's still around 100 pages of unseen material...so I guess there is still around 43% left to "surprise" us with...:rolleyes:

Talk about giving the milk away for free! LOL

*insert Jedi milking gif here* 😂 😂

On 2/13/2023 at 6:31 AM, jvmacross said:

Let's face it...the only old school artist who created his "own" Macross illustrations was Masami...lol...Suzuki used the lineart and Takani apparently was given rough sketches of "action" poses to base his illustrations on...Masami was the only guy who took the original lineart and painted the mechs based on his own "interpretations" of what they would look like in action...and even adding stuff you didn't know they could do or be armed with...LOL!

By no means am i fully informed on this subject. But didn't Takani san also paint his own Macross interpretations? 027F7511-BDF5-40E9-97DE-0F2D06F99288.jpeg.bac7475c6fa22a122d647dd229d79006.jpeg

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

By no means am i fully informed on this subject. But didn't Takani san also paint his own Macross interpretations? 027F7511-BDF5-40E9-97DE-0F2D06F99288.jpeg.bac7475c6fa22a122d647dd229d79006.jpeg

I'm sure he did....I'm just referring to the various boxart that have been shown to have been inspired by rough sketches from the Macross mecha designers....the illustration you posted is a classic...I can see that inspired by the Mars episode...

In one of his books, the google translate says he (Takani) held up the Takatoku 1/55 valk in various poses for additional inspiration for his works :)

And for the new readers don't forget to check out my hypothesis on the Takani SDF-1 painting above! LOL

Just a heads up. AmazonJP seems to just put the m/books in a shipping box with some plastic pillow as a filler without putting additional protection on the books (e.g. shrink wrap/plastic wrap on a board, etc). So expect some corner dents and creases on your collectible m/books. <_<