Macross Books

Penguin

19 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Very cool.  That's a nice pose to recreate as well.  I think I'll order this and the pictorial book at Amazon Japan.  @jvmacrossWere you able to find the Amazon Japan link for the packaging art book?

https://www.amazon.co.jp/『超時空要塞マクロス』パッケージアート集-ビックウェスト/dp/4778038797

1 hour ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Nice cover indeed. Pity the interior art pales in comparison. Wondering what will it take for them to release a better compilation book for the classics for the TV and OVAs? Seems those series should be due a new book or two.

Great Mechanics G is a quarterly hobby magazine/mook, not an official artbook.

The cover art is new, the art used in the article is reprints of official art from 1982.  It's only natural there'd be a difference in quality there.

5 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Nice cover indeed. Pity the interior art pales in comparison. Wondering what will it take for them to release a better compilation book for the classics for the TV and OVAs? Seems those series should be due a new book or two.

Hey Fortress...

One book that would probably interest you if you are mainly into  old school Macross would probably be the upcoming book featuring the old Macross boxart from the original kits...

https://www.amazon.co.jp/『超時空要塞マクロス』パッケージアート集-ビックウェスト/dp/4778038797

Sadly, it seems that even if each anniversary is tied to the debut of the original SDFM....very little SDFM merch actually gets released...guess we are no longer the targeted demographic...lol

It probably also doesn't help that BW bent over to HG's stranglehold of all things SDFM and DYRL...

Edited by jvmacross

Latest Yuji Kaida Collected Works Book.....lots of great Mech illustrations...but short on Macross and to add insult to injury....instead of going with fold-outs, they printed 2 of the very best Yuji Kaida Macross illustrations across two pages (they did this with other mecha illustrations too)...ugh...maybe next time on the "definitive" Yuji Kaida Works book! :rolleyes:

large.20220918_202808.jpg.29f2832251d1f6

large.20220918_202821.jpg.2c14931082e36f

large.20220918_202912.jpg.3fd3038c36ce85

large.20220918_202926.jpg.ca5f7c079e5d43

large.20220918_203000.jpg.7abba2ad3bcced

large.20220918_203031.jpg.9dc70fbaff8eef

large.20220918_203025.jpg.019824dabef360

large.20220918_203134.jpg.abc8c04bdd7659

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSARY MACROSS! :drinks:

New TVMagazine "MACROSS SUPER ENCYCLOPEDIA" to be released on Friday, October 28.

https://macross.jp/news-detail/22907/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/マクロス超図鑑-仮-講談社/dp/4065295009

image.jpeg.8e69e3547fc372fe15a334c4536b970e.jpeg

「マクロス」シリーズ40周年記念!

初代『超時空要塞マクロス』から最新作『マクロスΔ』まで、映画版やOVAも含め、すべてを網羅したデカルチャーな超百科。河森正治によるバルキリー&デザイン解説や、板野一郎×unknownCASEによるマクロスCGの歴史をたどる対談を収録!

さらに、貴重な当時の企画書や初期構成案資料などファン垂涎の資料を掲載。マクロスの世界観が分かるスペシャルコラム「歌とマクロス」「三角関係とマクロス」や、キャラクター&メカニックカタログ、今からでも間に合う、マクロス世界を理解する用語集など、この本でしか読めない企画が盛りだくさんな内容。

Commemorating the 40th anniversary of the "Macross" series!

A deculturally rich encyclopedia covering everything from the first "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross" to the latest "Macross Delta", including the movie version and OVA. Included are commentaries on Valkyrie and its design by Shoji Kawamori, and a dialogue between Ichiro Itano and unknownCASE tracing the history of Macross CG!

In addition, it contains valuable materials such as planning documents and initial composition plans from the time, which are highly coveted by fans. The book also includes special columns on the Macross world, such as "Songs and Macross" and "Love Triangles and Macross," a character and mechanic catalog, and a glossary of terms to understand the Macross world, all of which can be read only in this book.

On 9/20/2022 at 5:45 PM, jvmacross said:

Latest Yuji Kaida Collected Works Book.....lots of great Mech illustrations...but short on Macross and to add insult to injury....instead of going with fold-outs, they printed 2 of the very best Yuji Kaida Macross illustrations across two pages (they did this with other mecha illustrations too)...ugh...maybe next time on the "definitive" Yuji Kaida Works book! :rolleyes:

large.20220918_202808.jpg.29f2832251d1f6

large.20220918_202821.jpg.2c14931082e36f

Hey @jvmacross. Can I ask how many pages does each Dunbine, Galient, L-Gaim, Xabungle, Albegas feature has?

Thanks in advance. :hi:

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSARY MACROSS! :drinks:

New TVMagazine "MACROSS SUPER ENCYCLOPEDIA" to be released on Friday, October 28.

https://macross.jp/news-detail/22907/

https://www.amazon.co.jp/マクロス超図鑑-仮-講談社/dp/4065295009

image.jpeg.8e69e3547fc372fe15a334c4536b970e.jpeg

Not new, we just hadn't seen the cover...

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29133-macross-books/?do=findComment&comment=1633786

PO'd back on August 10th...

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey @jvmacross. Can I ask how many pages does each Dunbine, Galient, L-Gaim, Xabungle, Albegas feature has?

Thanks in advance. :hi:

Sure, I'll check it out when I get home...:good:

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Amazon shows at $49.99....haven't seen it cheaper....so keeping the right stuff oder for now

I think it was a quick price drop and it happened right when mine shipped so they charged me the lower price.

FedEx is on the ball this week. My copies of Macross Super Encyclopedia and the Macross Grand Analysis books rolled in moments ago.

20221101_121450.jpg.a8f96673599f6ecc06ee189cd1846236.jpg

Macross Super Encyclopedia is a nice general reference but nothing to write home about... nothing new or particularly interesting pops out on a quick skim of its contents except for its timeline putting an approximate date to the events of Absolute Live!!!!!! in October 2068.

Macross Grand Analysis is more of same, really, though its timeline omits Absolute Live!!!!!! and it has a bit more focus on how things fit together.  There's a basic Valkyrie family tree done in a style similar to the MS Bible books for Gundam that joins up all the different main timeline VF designs and it's substantially accurate to previously published sources.  It has one teensy-tiny problem that really irked me.  It put in stat blocks for the VFs on that family tree... and the famiyl tree DOES include the VF-31AX... but the stats it lists are for the VF-31A.  They raised my hopes and dashed them most expertly.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Having some ship identification issues in the Macross Grand Analysis book.

The Macross Elysion had the art for the Battle Galaxy, the Macross Quarter has the art for the Macross Elysion, and the Battle Galaxy has the storming attacker art for the Macross Quarter.

20221101_174039.jpg.ce03340101b6161cca20e48a99b2796f.jpg

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Having some ship identification issues in the Macross Grand Analysis book.

The Macross Elysion had the art for the Battle Galaxy, the Macross Quarter has the art for the Macross Elysion, and the Battle Galaxy has the storming attacker art for the Macross Quarter.

The white A4 paper (with the QR code) from the publisher that came with the book indicated those errors as well as the corrections.

Can't blame em..anything past M7 for me turns into a big mecha alphabet soup

😛

At the SDCon I saw people in costume and had no clue who they were...then realized they were new Delta characters.
Old age is fun

Feel like Scotty in TNG
S - D - F - 1.
No bloody Battle, Quarter, or Galaxy.