Macross Books

Penguin

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

And speaking of the VA-3.....

large.thumbnail_20201212_215804.jpg.6331

Fun fact... Kawamori actually polished this concept art into a finished design different from the final VA-3 in another title.

It became the YF-37 Rafaga in Tech Romancer.

post-4460-1162511584.jpg

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Nice!  I don't really follow any other anime shows, so that one would have been missed by me.  Although going over some of his collected works books, I do see a tendency to borrow from himself...

Tech Romancer is a video game.  My apologies for the earlier ambiguous wording.

One thing I love about Kawamori is that he almost never throws a design or concept away and says "that isn't workable".  He relentlessly polishes even his old ideas until he either finds somewhere they fit or makes somewhere they fit.  Like how the plot for his aborted non-Macross project Advanced Valkyrie ended up becoming Macross Plus nearly 9 years after its initial cancellation while many of the designs he did for it became part of Macross or ended up in another project that evolved into Escaflowne and Macross 7.  We even saw this at work in Macross Delta, with the Sv-262 being developed from a design Kawamori did back in 1990 that was itself reused in the series as the Sv-262's predecessor the Sv-154 Svard.

It's such an iterative process that it feels like engineering AND art.

EDIT: Hell, you could argue the concept of the Minmay Cannon from Macross: Scramble Valkyrie found its way into the official setting via the YF-29's Fold Wave System, which was intended to facilitate communication and peace with the Vajra.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

One thing I love about Kawamori is that he almost never throws a design or concept away and says "that isn't workable".  (...)

Speaking as an artist, it's not that unique.  I have art (brought over with me on the plane) from something like 30+ years ago in Jr. High School for completely different story ideas, that I vaguely know how and where to fit into the manga* that I have been drawing in my free time, but won't be getting around to revising/polishing/updating until they're needed in the story.

Nevertheless, with all the earthquakes, tsunami, and typhoons that regularly hit Japan, it IS pretty miraculous that Kawamori-san's art has survived.  How big of it is an issue?  Masamune Shirow mentions in one of his artbooks that he lost all the material for a shared world that he was creating in the Kobe earthquake!  (along with a Destroid Monster kit that he had made way back in the day)

* some of the designs for it: https://www.deviantart.com/studiootaking/art/CFs-Generation-3a-Master-File-Chronicle-767383491

Edited by sketchley

1 hour ago, rdenham said:

I finally got my copy of the "Macross Shoji Kawamori Designer's Note" it is amazing; however I really wish it was split into two Vol.'s the size and weight is ridiculous.

Macross Books #1.jpg

Macross Books #2.jpg

Macross Books #3.jpg

Macross Books #4.jpg

Nice collection...my Macross books are sadly all over the place...

The new Kawamori book definitely blew past the last record holder for the most voluminous Macross publication...by close to 200 pages I think

Got the bible today. It's so thick. :blink: How I really wish this should've been a hardbound book. I also noticed that they didn't include VF-4 for some reason? Or I just didn't notice it after I browsed it. Was it a one-pager feature? :unknw:

29 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Got the bible today. It's so thick. :blink: How I really wish this should've been a hardbound book. I also noticed that they didn't include VF-4 for some reason? Or I just didn't notice it after I browsed it. Was it a one-pager feature? :unknw:

The VF-X-4's on page 110, but the production version from Flash Back 2012 seems to have been left out.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The VF-X-4's on page 110, but the production version from Flash Back 2012 seems to have been left out.

44 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It will be added to Shoji Kawamori Designer's Note II....coming soon! :good:

That's one Valk I'm actually looking forward to see in that bible. :unsure:

Oh well. Note II then. :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

That's one Valk I'm actually looking forward to see in that bible. :unsure:

Oh well. Note II then. :rolleyes:

Are you referring to the rough sketches for it or just the lineart in general?  The lineart is available within a couple of books and there are some rough sketches in the old Macross Design Works.

Edited by jvmacross

48 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Are you referring to the rough sketches for it or just the lineart in general?  The lineart is available within a couple of books and there are some rough sketches in the old Macross Design Works.

Nothing specific actually. I was just bummed out that it wasn't included even just a page or two or something. They should've included it in the last pages of DYRL. ;)

Not surprising, the book is not an all-encompassing look at the creation of every single VF that Kawamori has done....just a sampling.  Like I said before, it is more of a companion book to the last Designers Note that was released....a look into how Kawamori eventually gets to those final linearts...

Hopefully, there are enough sales of the Kawamori book to warrant more "volumes"...

On 12/12/2020 at 10:48 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Fun fact... Kawamori actually polished this concept art into a finished design different from the final VA-3 in another title.

It became the YF-37 Rafaga in Tech Romancer.

post-4460-1162511584.jpg

Interesting reworking.  I think I like the original design better though.  I find the original bulbous nature of it charming.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, hachi said:

My copy is shipped but I'm annoyed by the wait grrrr

It finally arrived! And it's big like a college text book! :D

Will look at it later, since technically I am still working. It's like a Christmas present to myself! :yahoo:

On 12/18/2020 at 10:48 PM, jvmacross said:

Would that make Mikimoto the Grinch? :rolleyes:

Arriving May 30, 2021 - Jun 2, 2021
Haruhiko Mikimoto
Sold by: Amazon Japan LLC
¥ 3,000
Release day : Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Page not found

How many times has this been pushed back already?  :lol:

Edited by hachi
edit