Macross Books

Penguin

10 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Oh ok I didn’t order that book yet.  

A 1/12 scale TV for my figures.

Oh..ha!  I thought I had missed out on some 1/12 Macross figure...lol

Yeah...I'd normally would have PO'd them from AJ, but they have flaked out on overseas book shipping as of the last 3 Macross offerings....whatevs, I'll just combine my PW items at some point

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

So lots of previously rejected images? :rolleyes:

Still getting it....

Unfortunately I jumped the gun and ordered it the first place I found it which only offered slow shipping and there were no refunds.  So I might see it in December.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Unfortunately I jumped the gun and ordered it the first place I found it which only offered slow shipping and there were no refunds.  So I might see it in December.

Yeah, I am used to the fast Amazon.jp shipping but they have for unknown reasons decided to stop selling Macross books to overseas customers....

I went ahead and ordered all upcoming books (3) via HLJ....they already have the Hobby Japan IMAI book and I am waiting for the MasterFiles Focker Special, which seems to be out or soon to be...I think I will have HLJ ship them both when available along with some other stuff that has been stuck in my PW

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Yeah, I am used to the fast Amazon.jp shipping but they have for unknown reasons decided to stop selling Macross books to overseas customers....

The books I order are all sent via Japan Post (that's domestic order→domestic mailing address).  If they do the same with international orders, maybe the 'unknown reason' are the problems international mail is experiencing due to the Covid-19 pandemic?

Edited by sketchley

Weird...this one was no-shipping I swear, and now it is shipping enabled.

image.png.7f1c257354ed70b757d0906b0b84d998.png

And the Roy Focker is apparently out, at least via Amazon.

Odd..HLJ is in stock for HJ Vintage, but Amazon says on the 3rd, but Amazon says Focker is out now, but HLJ shows not in stock yet.

image.png.d71b0c30a9b46fe9450af577d9f781fd.png

52 minutes ago, sketchley said:

The books I order are all sent via Japan Post (that's domestic order→domestic mailing address).  If they do the same with international orders, maybe the 'unknown reason' are the problems international mail is experiencing due to the Covid-19 pandemic?

Funny I was about to post an update....

Just checked and both the Hobby Japan Vintage Vol4 and the Focker Special are now available for International shipping.....cancelled my HLJ orders and placed a new order via Amazon.jp....1,766 JPY shipped for both....should have them between Sept. 6-9

The Shoji Kawamori Designer's Note still shows as unavailable for overseas shipping.....

https://www.amazon.co.jp/超時空要塞マクロス-河森正治デザイナーズノート-河森正治/dp/4797397187/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9Y1EMH1PDTKEQEFTQNVH

But guessing that will probably change, if so will probably switch my order to Amazon.jp

At least my Mikimoto Book is secured.....not that it will ever get released!  :unknw:

Hobby Japan Vintage Vol 4 - IMAI

Nice book with a very limited showcase of all of the vintage IMAI Macross catalog...but some very nice original sketches from the Takani paintings used in the boxart are printed, with the most interesting aspects of the book most likely being the interviews with the various talents involved in the old school IMAI kits....from Kawamori to Takani...

large.20200904_163936.jpg.4d67ed6edf8a9f

large.20200904_163945.jpg.4fb22e43c645eb

...a few pics from within.....

large.20200904_164704.jpg.072541314c32ad

large.20200904_164853.jpg.845d161532b153

large.2070130650_20200904_164903(1).jpg.

large.20200904_164923.jpg.4a5dcf7e6eec12

large.20200904_164936.jpg.afd30e9f2488ca

large.20200904_164953.jpg.5b3775675514d4

large.20200904_165013.jpg.45dd922a901916

large.20200904_165047.jpg.806dffc6bedeae

large.20200904_165052.jpg.cbb2d60ec16b46

large.20200904_165114.jpg.71a8968c51d47b

large.20200904_165127.jpg.2dae231b866bc1

large.20200904_165141.jpg.0456690cbd0233

I hope to see a Hobby Japan Vintage Vol 5 - ARII edition soon! :good:

Wow! Thank you for the pictures. How are you getting these so damn fast? Mine is stuck somewhere in Cincinnati.

Those model kit rough sketches have never been published before, very excited to see those up close!! I had no idea Kawamori (and Miyatake!) would have done the action poses to hand off to Takani! (I see his sig on the bottom) That is crazy!

This makes me think we might see more of these Kawamori sketches in his upcoming book! What a great time for Macross art fans.

https://www.sbcr.jp/product/4797397185/

"In this book, we aim to collect as many rough sketches as possible, which are often omitted or omitted in existing books and magazines that have been set, and to publish them in the largest number possible. It was There are also quite a few drafts that I have never seen before. The book, which has about 600 pages (planned), is probably unprecedented as a book consisting of only preliminary drafts. It can be said that it is a permanent preservation version that fans must have."

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Wow! Thank you for the pictures. How are you getting these so damn fast? Mine is stuck somewhere in Cincinnati.

Those model kit rough sketches have never been published before, very excited to see those up close!! I had no idea Kawamori (and Miyatake!) would have done the action poses to hand off to Takani! (I see his sig on the bottom) That is crazy!

This makes me think we might see more of these Kawamori sketches in his upcoming book! What a great time for Macross art fans.

https://www.sbcr.jp/product/4797397185/

"In this book, we aim to collect as many rough sketches as possible, which are often omitted or omitted in existing books and magazines that have been set, and to publish them in the largest number possible. It was There are also quite a few drafts that I have never seen before. The book, which has about 600 pages (planned), is probably unprecedented as a book consisting of only preliminary drafts. It can be said that it is a permanent preservation version that fans must have."

Haven't had a chance to run Google Translate on the book, but I hope there would be some additional info on that "green" Tomahawk painting that Takani did..

large.268918010_takanitomahawk.JPG.891af

...sort of makes me wish someone released a book on Takatoku and other show sponsers and vendors and the story behind the merchandising and marketing of Macross back in the original SDFM TV days...it'd be instabuy!  

PS.  I held out on posting one pic that will make you proud of getting this book....I think you'll know which pic I am talking about once you receive your copy!

Edited by jvmacross

Got my book this morning, and if you haven't bought one yet, I definitely recommend it!

Lots of wonderful pictures. They go into a basic parts breakdown/build for a few of the kits showing design features and whatnot.
Armed with my google translate app, it was a great read!

And I did get to the surprise page, was awesome! (see the last few pages of the cel collectors thread in this section of the forum)
Again, awesome magazine, get it!

Kawamori's book on HLJ is now on order stop. Now I noticed CDJapan also has it: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2523883

I would have loved to get the Hobby Japan Vintage Vol 4 from Amazon JP but some other books I want don't ship to the Philippines. I wish this trend would stop...I wonder how they decide which books can be pre-ordered for international shipping or not.

No idea, but both the HJ Vintage and Focker Special books were previously listed as unavailable for international shipping....had them both at HLJ but cancelled both when they became available just days before release....

I'm hoping the same happens with the Kawamori book....

Edited by jvmacross

On 9/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, jvmacross said:
Arriving Feb 2, 2021 - Feb 5, 2021

Haruhiko Mikimoto
Sold by: Amazon Japan LLC

¥ 3,000
Condition: New
Release day : Friday, January 29, 2021

At this point, I'll be glad if it is release at some point....

LOL I'll be glad if Amazon just lets me pre-order this.

On 9/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, jvmacross said:

If shipping goes back to normal I may bundle my book with something else....otherwise I'll go with Amazon.jp 

Is there anything wrong right now with HLJ shipping? To be honest I haven't ordered anything from Japan after March so I'm not sure about state of shipping from there. I've only ordered from the US but I'm using a forwarder so I am confident they will deliver to my place.

1 hour ago, hachi said:

LOL I'll be glad if Amazon just lets me pre-order this.

May need to wait until the book is closer to release date as it looks like the book is not allowed to int'l shipping anymore

1 hour ago, hachi said:

Is there anything wrong right now with HLJ shipping? To be honest I haven't ordered anything from Japan after March so I'm not sure about state of shipping from there. I've only ordered from the US but I'm using a forwarder so I am confident they will deliver to my place.

NO idea regarding HLJ...have not had anything shipped.....was going to have the last two books shipped but went with AJ instead.....I am sure it is fine via FedEx

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

May need to wait until the book is closer to release date as it looks like the book is not allowed to int'l shipping anymore

NO idea regarding HLJ...have not had anything shipped.....was going to have the last two books shipped but went with AJ instead.....I am sure it is fine via FedEx

Checking with HLJ, it seems only the ff. are available to me: Air Small Packet, Air Parcel, EMS. I was pretty sure in the past that FedEx was ok lol. But I was using EMS pre-Covid and it was acceptable. Hopefully more shipping choices become available once Kawamori's book is out.

8 hours ago, hachi said:

Checking with HLJ, it seems only the ff. are available to me: Air Small Packet, Air Parcel, EMS. I was pretty sure in the past that FedEx was ok lol. But I was using EMS pre-Covid and it was acceptable. Hopefully more shipping choices become available once Kawamori's book is out.

Never used EMS with them due to FedEx always being less expensive...YMMV I suppose