Macross Books

Penguin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question here for all of you fellow fans:  I have been wondering for many years -- what is the very first printed appearance of Macross?  I'm a long time comic book collector and have always wanted to find out the answer to this.  So far, the earliest print I own is a manga that appears to be from 1982 (see attached image.)

Any help is appreciated!  Thank you!

macross 1.jpg

12 hours ago, PMK916 said:

Question here for all of you fellow fans:  I have been wondering for many years -- what is the very first printed appearance of Macross?  I'm a long time comic book collector and have always wanted to find out the answer to this.  So far, the earliest print I own is a manga that appears to be from 1982 (see attached image.)

Any help is appreciated!  Thank you!

macross 1.jpg

In any printed media?  Or the first officially licensed all Macross publication?

If in any printed media...it may have been one of the many anime magazines of the era...or perhaps the promo poster advertising the TV series?

gallery_12176_640_2276555.jpg

56 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

In any printed media?  Or the first officially licensed all Macross publication?

If in any printed media...it may have been one of the many anime magazines of the era...or perhaps the promo poster advertising the TV series?

gallery_12176_640_2276555.jpg

Thank you for the reply! 

Yes, I'm trying to figure out what is the very first instance of print...I like your thoughts about a poster or a magazine (those both sound like very legit possibilities.)

I wonder how we can go about figuring out what it might actually be...

As for the picture I posted -- is that manga the earliest printed manga of Macross at least?

1 hour ago, PMK916 said:

Thank you for the reply! 

Yes, I'm trying to figure out what is the very first instance of print...I like your thoughts about a poster or a magazine (those both sound like very legit possibilities.)

I wonder how we can go about figuring out what it might actually be...

As for the picture I posted -- is that manga the earliest printed manga of Macross at least?

I think the earlist mention of macross in print would have been from one of the anime magazines....there were several.....for example...here is a kids TV magazine from October 1982.....the month the show started....I have some anime mags from before that month that promote the show...if I can find them I will post....

gallery_12176_640_797595.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/29270-macross-magazines/?do=findComment&comment=1188350

Being SDFM was the first Macross show, technically, that would be the "first" manga.....however, I usually think of manga as a B/W comic....but that's just me

3 hours ago, PMK916 said:

That's fantastic!  I'd love to see the others if you find them.

Thank you.

For now you can browse the Macross magazine section....

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/_magazines_menu.htm

It will be a while before I can pull out any of my old magazines....

But from here, you can see that the magazine issue of "The Anime" is from September 1982...a month before Macross went on the air....

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/_magazines_theanime.htm

theanime0982c.jpg

Take a look, there are others from September 1982...but that month seems to be the earliest mentions of Macross in a printed format....

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

If I had something else to be delivered from HLJ in October I may have went that route....looking forward to it!

I'll check your posts first once you received so that if ever I will not like it, easy cancellation at HLJ. ^_^

15 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey JVM! I believe you so I PO'ed one as well. But thru HLJ. ^_^

https://hlj.com/product/SOF39369

Thanks no3ljm!

Hopefully it's fairly comprehensive collection of the older design images.

5 hours ago, slide said:

Thanks no3ljm!

Hopefully it's fairly comprehensive collection of the older design images.

It's Macross. And I guess, that's the only reason why this will be good. ^_^ 

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

:drinks: 

Kampai! :drinks: