LOL Macross Sizes

RedWolf

Isn't that what I said? :huh:

It becomes shorter in firing mode

why does SDFN need to go into battle mode in the first place, couldn't it fire its main gun in cruiser mode? What combat tactical advantage does SDFN have in battle mode than in cruiser mode?

Edited by nanoplasm

why does SDFN need to go into battle mode in the first place, couldn't it fire its main gun in cruiser mode? What combat tactical advantage does SDFN have in battle mode than in cruiser mode?

The original reason for the transformation was that the actual cabling to connect the cannon to the power plant on the ship was lost during the fold to Pluto. Since there wasn't any spare parts on the Macross to actually re-connect the cannon to the power, the ship's engineer came up with the transformation scheme in order to put the plugs next to the power plant.

Also, just because 1km tall ships transforming and beating the crap out of each other just makes for cool TV.

------toys------- :rolleyes:

Battle Galaxy

Measurements

* Length, overall: 1,681 m (warship mode, including antennas)

* Height, overall: 1,186 m (Storm-attack mode)

* Width, overall

o Warship mode: 521 m

o Attack mode: 747 m

* Displacement, gross: 16,550,000 t

Battle Frontier

Measurements

* Length, overall: 1,681 m

* Width, overall: 521 m

* Displacement, gross: 16,550,000 t

Battle 7

Battle 7 Carrier Mode 1,510 meters; Battle 7 Attack Mode 1,177 meters

Battle 5

Battle 5 Carrier Mode length 1,510 meters, width 370 meters, height 333 meters (not including antenna)

Since Battle 5 and Battle 7 is the earlier Battle class generation they are around similar proportions. While Battle Frontier and Battle Galaxy are the next generation of Battle class in similar proportions as well.

Going by the numbers Battle Frontier and Battle Galaxy are longer in length by 171 meters, wider in width by 151 meters (Deck), and taller in attack mode by 9 meters.

• 1 month later...
EVA-01 looks seriously undersized IMHO. I know there's no official stats, but just based on various images etc, I've always put EVA units at like 400+ft tall. (plus the fact that the plug unit seems to fit in their vertebrae)

Nah, I think the 40m is about right. When you see people near the EVAs, 400 ft would be way too big.

Nah, I think the 40m is about right. When you see people near the EVAs, 400 ft would be way too big.

The EVA's changed size from scene to scene all the time. When people were in front of them they were scaled small so they could fit in frame, during some fight scenes they were as big as 200 meters (compared to buildings and stuff).

look at the size of the entry plug for instance, it's 4-6 feet in diameter and some 30-40 feet long.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/images/c/c4/Eva01...ash_imaishi.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

during some fight scenes they were as big as 200 meters (compared to buildings and stuff).

Erm... 200 m = 656 ft.*

Isn't the arguement that it is 400 ft (122 m)?

* http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&s...mp;aq=f&oq=

PS: your image isn't showing up (only noticed because the message was quoted!)

Erm... 200 m = 656 ft.*

Isn't the arguement that it is 400 ft (122 m)?

* http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&s...mp;aq=f&oq=

PS: your image isn't showing up (only noticed because the message was quoted!)

my point was that along with scenes where they looked much smaller than 400 feet, there were scenes where they looked a lot larger than that.

The EVA's changed size from scene to scene all the time. When people were in front of them they were scaled small so they could fit in frame, during some fight scenes they were as big as 200 meters (compared to buildings and stuff).

Do you mean to say that sizing and scale in anime is not always accurate or consistent??

Shocked.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Taksraven

I always thought they fit in at about 260 feet tall on average. It would fit the size of those high-rises pretty well... And 260 feet is... roughly 80 meters, or twice what they're showing there. Still over twice your average Gundam and nearly 3 times many of the VFs...

I'll watch NGE again and count the number of stories in a highrise. :D

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

• 2 months later...

Like Donny Most, this thread rises from the mist once again

I've discovered something slightly amusing. While browsing the M3 I noticed that the X-9 ghost doesn't have a length listed. The entry does, however, describe the X-9 as carrying the AIM-225 long-range high-maneuverability missiles and includes lineart depicting how the bay is arranged. Conveniently the AIM-225 is also carried externally by the target drones from Mac+ and those do have approximate length listed.

however if you scale the internal bay diagram to the profile view of the X-9, then make the missiles in the diagram match the missiles on the drone fighter, you get this...

post-4286-1267803196_thumb.jpg

Interesting, the X-9 was one big mama then. I always thoughts those missiles were smaller though, like shorter ranged versions, maybe someone is wrong about what it carries.

Has to be wrong.

I was always under the impression the X-9 was about the size of Simon, John, and Peter.

Has to be wrong.

I was always under the impression the X-9 was about the size of Simon, John, and Peter.

It definitely should be about the same size as Luca's AIF-7S Ghosts, since they were based on the Ghost X-9.

I've discovered something slightly amusing. While browsing the M3 I noticed that the X-9 ghost doesn't have a length listed. The entry does, however, describe the X-9 as carrying the AIM-225 long-range high-maneuverability missiles and includes lineart depicting how the bay is arranged. Conveniently the AIM-225 is also carried externally by the target drones from Mac+ and those do have approximate length listed.

however if you scale the internal bay diagram to the profile view of the X-9, then make the missiles in the diagram match the missiles on the drone fighter, you get this...

Maybe since the X-9 is the experimental prototype, they had to scale it larger so it was easier to work on??

Taksraven

Nah If we go by the AIF-9B Ghost in VF-X2 which is mass production model of the X-9 Ghost minus Sharon definitely smaller.

The rationale is that Ghosts cost less than a regular Valkyrie. On the other hand the QF-3000E Ghost in Macross 7 Trash was converted to a two seater craft.

That's a big twinkie :)

I'd assume the missiles inside the Ghost X-9 are simply smaller versions of the high maneuver missile. Perhaps even micro-missile versions.

There is also the possibility that the scale of the Drone Fighter and it's missiles are simply way off. They never even really decide on a size for the Drone, just some brief artist note of 10-12 meters, which almost sounds more like a guess than a thoughtful design choice :)

That's a big twinkie :)

I'd assume the missiles inside the Ghost X-9 are simply smaller versions of the high maneuver missile. Perhaps even micro-missile versions.

There is also the possibility that the scale of the Drone Fighter and it's missiles are simply way off. They never even really decide on a size for the Drone, just some brief artist note of 10-12 meters, which almost sounds more like a guess than a thoughtful design choice :)

I think it may be a bit of both. I just remembered this picture:

tiasmacrossplusf.jpg

so the drone may be a bit large, but the X-9 carries a different, smaller missile as well.

Ah, good catch. The missiles in the cover art picture appear the slightly smaller than the YF-19 cockpit, which is a little under 3 meters long. If we use the 10-12 meter length for the Drone, the missiles are 4-5 meters long. I'd say the problem is most likely an indeterminate size error on behalf of the artists. They rarely provide sizes for ordnance in Macross anyway and are used to simply winging it. This is likely just one circumstance where the artistic license has produced an error more glaring than usual.

Where are those missiles in that cover art supposed to be anchored? I don't recall the YF-19 ever having external hardpoints.

The YF-19 No.2 prototype did support internal munitions pallets. Isamu discharges a pair of fairly large missiles from them during his dogfight with Guld over Earth's surface in the Macross Plus OVA. Also, the production model VF-19F/S was shown to support at least one pair of wing-mounted hardpoints for carrying reaction weapons (in episode 44 of Macross 7), so it's possible they could be mounted there as well.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

• 4 weeks later...
vlcsnap2010030521h09m29.png

Definitely not bigger than a VF-171

You can't actually gauge size at all from this pic. The Ghost and the 171 are not floating next to each other. The Ghost is in the distance behind the VF-171, approaching it. It could be 5 miles long for all you can gather from this picture.

vlcsnap2010040510h44m09.png

vlcsnap2010040510h44m48.png

While you can't make precise scalings due to the angle, the VF-9 is clearly very close to the VF-171, and not nearly as large as homeskillets earlier pic. Canon states all the other ghost models are only 9.85m long, there is nothing in the canon visuals to suggest otherwise for the V-9, as shown in the dogfight with Luca's QF-4000

vlcsnap2010040511h05m41.png

vlcsnap2010040511h06m27.png

vlcsnap2010040511h06m37.png

vlcsnap2010040511h11m12.png

vlcsnap2010040511h11m30.png

Well the rational of Ghosts after the X-9 is that they are cheaper and more expendable.

I think the Macross Zero and SDF era Ghosts are bigger than the X-9 though.

Also I think of the Sound Boosters as suped-up non-combat Ghosts.

Edited by RedWolf

Well the rational of Ghosts after the X-9 is that they are cheaper and more expendable.

Um... the word you're looking for here is "rationale", which means something rather different from "rational".

I think the Macross Zero and SDF era Ghosts are bigger than the X-9 though.

Unfortunately, no source I'm aware of provides a canon size for either... not even Macross Chronicle. All the same, assuming the art provided for the QF-2200D on Macross Zero UNS mechanic sheet 04A is accurate, then we can say with some certainty that the QF-2000D (and likely its cousin, the QF-2001) are in the 12-14 meter range size-wise. Not a great deal larger than the Ghost X-9 and its descendants, the QF-4000/AIF-7S and AIF-9V. Given what little we know, the QF-2001 and QF-2200 probably owe their larger size to the use of conventional turbofan jet engines and the resulting fuel storage requirements.

Also I think of the Sound Boosters as suped-up non-combat Ghosts.

Definitely a misguided view, since the Sound Booster systems are only useful when docked to a variable fighter with a sound energy system. Aside from the obvious element of drama, they only seem to be kept in reserve and deployed in mid-combat to keep them out of harm's way until the sound energy levels reach usable levels. They're not independent craft by any means... just a set of overblown FAST packs.

They're not independent craft by any means... just a set of overblown FAST packs.

vf-0a-angel-fighter_small.gif

:lol:

Setting aside the AI element the Sound Boosters are drone craft much like Ghosts but their purpose is not to blow stuff up.

Macross 7 Trash though depicts a converted QF-3000E as a two man civilian plane.

Setting aside the AI element the Sound Boosters are drone craft much like Ghosts but their purpose is not to blow stuff up.

Eh... not quite, no. Labeling the Sound Boosters as "drone craft much like Ghosts" carries the implication they they were designed for operation independent of the VFs to which they were attached. As you know full well, this simply isn't correct, since the Sound Boosters existed for one and only one purpose... expanding the capabilities of the sound energy system built into the VFs. They're no more a bunch of drones than the VF-25F's self-reattaching super parts are.

Macross 7 Trash though depicts a converted QF-3000E as a two man civilian plane.

Really? Got a volume and page number for that? I don't recall seeing anything like that, though it has been a long time since I read Macross 7 Trash.