What mecha would you pilot?

I think that's why there's not a Katoki Epyon. It's ALREADY too over-the-top. :p

Yeah, I always wonder why there's no ver. Ka of Epyon. Granted, Epyon is not my most favourite design, too bulky and not very elegant, but I have to give it credit for its dedication for being a duelist's MS.

...and I like Wing Zero Custom's wing. :p

How can you go from liking F91 to G Gundam, that's really random :lol:

Not really, they are elegant, simple designs.

But I like the fact they have hidden weapons (waist cannons of F91, most beam sabers and God Finger of God) and power up modes (After Image and Hyper Mode) but they aren't overdone like say...Freedom and Strike Freedom.

I personally think that RX-78 did not look well after almost 30 years, and it's mostly nostalgia that makes it look nicer than it should be. I also like Gundam ver Ka and the recent recolour of the 0 Gundam, which btw is an Okawara's design.

Aside from the head unit, I find the original RX-78-2 Gundam is incredibly uninteresting. Remove the head unit and the rest of the mecha isn't anything special. I suppose it appeals to fans in a Kamen-rider sort of way, but that does nothing for me. I will agree that nostalgia affects my preference for many old mechanical designs, even Macross. But I never found much to enjoy about the old Gundam and I think it relies heavily upon nostalgia to appreciate. I have to acknowledge the original's place as the progenitor of the other Gundam designs I love, but honestly, I could take it or leave it.

It wasn't until I saw Yutaka Izubuchi's Gundam Alex that I stood up and took notice of the Gundam designs. IMO, the Gundam designs didn't really come into their own until the Zeta Gundam and the Nu-Gundam. I guess I just feel the original RX-78-2 Gundam has too much super robot in it; the Gundam just had a different head rather than being it's own mecha. Once other artists started taking the Gundam motif in different, more self-styled directions, that's when I learned to appreciate it.

Aside from the head unit, I find the original RX-78-2 Gundam is incredibly uninteresting. Remove the head unit and the rest of the mecha isn't anything special. I suppose it appeals to fans in a Kamen-rider sort of way, but that does nothing for me. I will agree that nostalgia affects my preference for many old mechanical designs, even Macross. But I never found much to enjoy about the old Gundam and I think it relies heavily upon nostalgia to appreciate. I have to acknowledge the original's place as the progenitor of the other Gundam designs I love, but honestly, I could take it or leave it.

It wasn't until I saw Yutaka Izubuchi's Gundam Alex that I stood up and took notice of the Gundam designs. IMO, the Gundam designs didn't really come into their own until the Zeta Gundam and the Nu-Gundam. I guess I just feel the original RX-78-2 Gundam has too much super robot in it; the Gundam just had a different head rather than being it's own mecha. Once other artists started taking the Gundam motif in different, more self-styled directions, that's when I learned to appreciate it.

I like the Gundam, but if I look at it objectively, I think you're right. I think that a big part of what makes it super-robot-y, though, is the bright primary color scheme. The all-gray G-3 looks tons better, I think.

I also really like Okawara's redesign of the RX-78-2 for Gundam the Origin, which isn't as radical a remake/remodel as Katoki's, but hits all the right notes.

Interesting that for Gundam the Origin, all the mecha got revamped, but the characters look more or less the same, whereas Macross the First seems to be going the opposite route (I say seems to because no Battroids have shown up yet). Says something about the durability of the VF-1 design, I think...

Aside from the head unit, I find the original RX-78-2 Gundam is incredibly uninteresting. Remove the head unit and the rest of the mecha isn't anything special.

Perhaps the reason why it "isn't anything special" is because it's been so copied and borrowed from, its simplicity gets lost in the sea of imitators that followed after it.

I guess I just feel the original RX-78-2 Gundam has too much super robot in it;

Gee, I wonder why? Probably because it was the first non-super robot design, and basically created the entire "real" genre?

I would say that as a design it was the most influential and important mecha design in the history of mecha design, and that alone makes is a good design. A bad design wouldn't have had the same effect that it did.

TF Animated OS is pilotable.

But it was piloted by Ratchet, unless I piloted a headmaster who taken control of Ratchet....... ^_^ .

I love flying/piloting transformable vehicle mecha like the Valks, Zeta series from UC. And also included on the list are variable warship like the Yggdrasil IV, Battle class from Macross and Iron Gear. :rolleyes: But Spaceball-1 is excluded from the list...it just doesn't feel right to pilot a......variable maid with a giant vacuum cleaner :lol:

Well, I have a similiar case with you, too. I also fail to see the awesomeness behind RX-78-2 when I first see it. Yeah, it's iconic, it's easy to recognise, but I don't see any beauty or elegance behind the design. Can't blame it, really: it's 1979 when Okawara design that thing, an era where blocky, super robots-like mecha rule the days. In my case, it's only with Kawamori's GP01 that make me like the Gundam design.

BTW, IMHO, RX-78-2 is one of the mecha that actually looks better in model than in linearts. Even to this day, I can be impressed by a very well make RX-78-2 model. :)

I would say that as a design it was the most influential and important mecha design in the history of mecha design, and that alone makes is a good design. A bad design wouldn't have had the same effect that it did.

Thanks for sharing your opinion about a good mecha design! :) If go for your definition, then yes, RX-78-2 is a good design, so good that even 30 years later, Bandai is still milking money just by selling its model kits and toys.

I like the Gundam, but if I look at it objectively, I think you're right. I think that a big part of what makes it super-robot-y, though, is the bright primary color scheme. The all-gray G-3 looks tons better, I think.

I also really like Okawara's redesign of the RX-78-2 for Gundam the Origin, which isn't as radical a remake/remodel as Katoki's, but hits all the right notes.

Interesting that for Gundam the Origin, all the mecha got revamped, but the characters look more or less the same, whereas Macross the First seems to be going the opposite route (I say seems to because no Battroids have shown up yet). Says something about the durability of the VF-1 design, I think...

That's probably part of what ages the original Gundam design. Not crazy about the Gundam Origin version. I generally like Okawara's later Gundam re-designs or variants, especially the Heavy Arms (Wing), the RX-79[G] Gundam (08th MS Team) and GN-000 0 Gundam (Gundam 00). They are retro, but much more distinctive.

The VF-1 Valkyrie has aged well, but it's still aged. However, the VF-1 was always it's own design. The VF-1 is distinctive and unique, even way back in 1982.

Gee, I wonder why?

Yeah, me too.

Well, I have a similiar case with you, too. I also fail to see the awesomeness behind RX-78-2 when I first see it. Yeah, it's iconic, it's easy to recognise, but I don't see any beauty or elegance behind the design. Can't blame it, really: it's 1979 when Okawara design that thing, an era where blocky, super robots-like mecha rule the days. In my case, it's only with Kawamori's GP01 that make me like the Gundam design.

BTW, IMHO, RX-78-2 is one of the mecha that actually looks better in model than in linearts. Even to this day, I can be impressed by a very well make RX-78-2 model.

The importance of the original Gundam is that it had to be the first to go from Super Robot to Real Robot. That's likely the majority of the significance of the RX-78-2 design. I think the original Gundam was intentionally bland so as to be distinguished from all the flashy, over-designed super robots that preceded it. But unfortunately that leaves the RX-78-2 Gundam very unremarkable after the fact. Of the Kawamori Gundams, the RX-78GP02A Gundam "Physalis" is my favorite.

Yeah, the old Okawara art style probably has something to do with my distaste for the RX-78-2 Gundam. Kawamori's early line art for the VF-1 Valkyrie suffers from that too. The depth is too exaggerated and all the angles have a bubbly plasticity to them. Almost as if the artwork was made to be slightly "super deformed". :) Of the Gundam models, I think the Gundam ver 1.5 looks pretty good.

did somebody say rape?

You need my service?

PB121861.jpg

And going back to topic, my current list of mecha I want to pilot:

Macross: VF-171EX

Gundam: V2 Gundam

Super Robot: Shin Getter

God-like Robot: Xenogear

Real Robot: Metal Gear