What mecha would you pilot?

I've always thought both the GP-01 and Alex borrow too much from the original Gundam design. I don't find either of them particularly interesting, in terms of design.

The GP-02 is nifty, though.

I don't know, I like the GP-01 (in FB trim). their's something cool yet basic about it. I think my all time favorite though is the RX-178

rx-178-titans.jpg

it just looks so cool in titans colors

oh yeah and this beast...

msz-006c1-bst.jpg

hummingbird variant of the MSZ-006 zeta.

It's hard not to choose one o' these babies as a permanent mecha mount...

PH1155805103.jpg

Although, it's not as imposing in its "fleshed-out" form as the anime version--you gotta admit, mobility looks seriously compromised. But it's still pretty dang mean lookin', ought to make just about any enemy combatant clinch up in the arse when they see those missile hatches start to open....

Dudes, HobbyLink Japan is having like, an insane sale on some of their 1/48 Yammies. Super Max & Millia 1Js, Armored 1A Wood Land ver's--for only 100 yen more than the cost of a regular 1/60 v2?! :blink: I'm sorely tempted to pick at least one up.

Edited by reddsun1

Gotta go with the SV-51 for combat, but I would kill to own a Grampus from Blue Sub No. 6....submersible and mecha in one, don't see too many of those that don't look outright hideous (sorry Gundam Wing) :D

a-seele.jpg

I see this shape, and right away, I think Pheyos (Enemy) Valkyrie.

I wonder if this is a case of one copying the other, or two artists creating a similar design completely without influence from each other.

If I had to choose a GUNDAM to get the job done and my GUNBUSTER was in the shop. Then its the S-Gundam for me. This is truly one of my most favorite of the Mobile suit designs or just mecha period!! Pure power written all over it! B))

post-6180-1236891219_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 505thAirborne

They're both basically minor improvements on the original design, anyway. Alex was supposed to be given to Amuro to replace the original Gundam.

Perhaps it's because I only became a casual fan of Gundam much, much later in the franchise, but the original RX-78-2 Gundam has not aged well, particularly in comparison to the original VF-1 Valkyrie. To me, the RX-78NT-1 Gundam Alex was just the right amount of refinement to appeal to my mecha tastes. The Alex, at least to my eyes, has aged very well and is what I associate with classic Gundam.

However, I have seen a revised design of the original RX-78-2 Gundam which I rather like. Don't know what it's called, but it's definitely an improvement.

If I had to choose a GUNDAM to get the job done and my GUNBUSTER was in the shop. Then its the S-Gundam for me. This is truly one of my most favorite of the Mobile suit designs or just mecha period!! Pure power written all over it! B))

That's the EX-S Gundam. :p

Perhaps it's because I only became a casual fan of Gundam much, much later in the franchise, but the original RX-78-2 Gundam has not aged well, particularly in comparison to the original VF-1 Valkyrie. To me, the RX-78NT-1 Gundam Alex was just the right amount of refinement to appeal to my mecha tastes. The Alex, at least to my eyes, has aged very well and is what I associate with classic Gundam.

However, I have seen a revised design of the original RX-78-2 Gundam which I rather like. Don't know what it's called, but it's definitely an improvement.

Oh yeah, the original design of the original Gundam looks like crap now. CRAP. Almost as bad as the original GM lineart.

Hajime Katoki's redesign of it looks real, real nice.

rx-78-2.jpg

I see this shape, and right away, I think Pheyos (Enemy) Valkyrie.

I wonder if this is a case of one copying the other, or two artists creating a similar design completely without influence from each other.

Its a case of one artist having a distinctive style that he brings to every project he works on...

(SK designed the Grampus by the way. ^_^ )

Heh, if I have to take a Gundam I'd take the F91 or Victory/V2 Gundam. Smaller yet more sexy and efficient Gundam.

Otherwise, I'd go for GOD GUNDAM for sheer badassness!!!!

since this is becoming a what gundam would you pilot thread, I have to say that I love this one for the shear lulz of it...

gf13-050nsw.jpg

I don't suppose there was ever a Gundam that transformed into a motorcycle?

If not, then I'm just not interested in owning one.

:D

Not a Gundam, but close, see Victory Gundam for the Motorad fleet (motorcycle base battleship) and this thing:

zm-s24g-einerad.jpg

Oh yeah, the original design of the original Gundam looks like crap now. CRAP. Almost as bad as the original GM lineart.

rx-78-2.jpg

Yeah, that's something very similar to the redesign I was thinking about. It's basically the classic RX-78-2, but done with Alex-like sensibilities. Very sharp design.

I also really like the GN000 0 Gundam from Gundam 00. That's a nice reinterpretation of the classic RX-78-2 Gundam that looks really good today.

Its a case of one artist having a distinctive style that he brings to every project he works on...

(SK designed the Grampus by the way. ^_^ )

Also the design is very much influenced by a manta ray, all except the tail. Who designed the Pheyos?

Yeah, that's something very similar to the redesign I was thinking about. It's basically the classic RX-78-2, but done with Alex-like sensibilities. Very sharp design.

I also really like the GN000 0 Gundam from Gundam 00. That's a nice reinterpretation of the classic RX-78-2 Gundam that looks really good today.

I'm thinking you're referring to Gundam ver. Ka (re)designed by Hajime Katoki. That one do look nice.

I personally like GP01, thought. It's almost like the original Gundam, but with an unique style of Kawamori. I almost called it Gundam ver. Kawamori. :)

It's pretty hard to argue against choosing a LEGIOSS as a permanent mecha, seeing as how it comes equipped with a Ride Armor in its internal storage bay as emergency equipment. It's like getting a 2-for-1. ^_^

If I can't have my gray/white VF-1J, then gimme an AFC-01I Iota...

Katoki's redesigns are easily the worst thing to happen to Gundam mecha design, aside from Okawara refusing to retire.

The original RX-78 is the Citizen Kane of mecha designs, and anyone who thinks it should be given the "Special Edition" treatment is sorely misguided.

I'm thinking you're referring to Gundam ver. Ka (re)designed by Hajime Katoki. That one do look nice.

I personally like GP01, thought. It's almost like the original Gundam, but with an unique style of Kawamori. I almost called it Gundam ver. Kawamori. :)

The picture MDP310 posted above IS the RX-78-2 Gundam ver. Ka designed by Hajime Katoki. I was just remembering the redesign from a different picture that had cartoon shading. It was a larger, clearer version of this picture:

post-114-1237137414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr March

The picture MDP310 posted above IS the RX-78-2 Gundam ver. Ka designed by Hajime Katoki. I was just remembering the redesign from a different picture that had cartoon shading. It was a larger, clearer version of this picture:

m57_m0002.JPG

Yeah, I know the pictures are ver. Ka, I'm just too lazy to say it. :lol:

yellowlightman: What makes you say that? I personally think that RX-78 did not looked well after almost 30 years, and it's mostly nostalgia that makes it look nicer than it should be. I also like Gundam ver Ka and the recent recolour of the 0 Gundam, which btw is an Okawara's design.

I'm not a fan of most Katoki's redesign, I like the silly look of the 70s Gundam more.

I personally HATE his Gundam redesigns for GW: Endless Waltz.

Well to be honest, Katoki's redesign of Wing is mostly either hit or miss. I like his Wing Zero, Deathscythe Hell and Heavyarms Kai.

Well to be honest, Katoki's redesign of Wing is mostly either hit or miss. I like his Wing Zero, Deathscythe Hell and Heavyarms Kai.

Wing Zero Custom is just silly.

I preferred the Deathscythe Hell to the Hell Custom.

Heavyarms is... more of the same?

Admittedly, the Gundams in Wing are stylized to the point of absurdity ANYWAYS, but...

Katoki seems to have a bad habit of taking one aspect of a design and exaggerating it to extreme levels.

I think that's why there's not a Katoki Epyon. It's ALREADY too over-the-top. :p