1/60 Regults anyone?

regult

Hey everybody,

I guess most of you do not own the now extremely rare Regult (and/or Glaug) early toys, and even if you do, you'd still like to see an updated version just to complete that Macross diorama. All those VF-1s and Destroids NEED enemy mecha, and all we have is Millia and Max's Q-rau, which are not brilliant figures themselves!

I am sure this topic pops out every once in a while (one of those classic themes in MWF), but since Yamato seems to have a great time milking their licenses...maybe taking on a often neglected subject as classic Zentran mecha like the Regult or the Glaug would be a good idea.

Hey everybody,

I guess most of you do not own the now extremely rare Regult (and/or Glaug) early toys, and even if you do, you'd still like to see an updated version just to complete that Macross diorama. All those VF-1s and Destroids NEED enemy mecha, and all we have is Millia and Max's Q-rau, which are not brilliant figures themselves!

I am sure this topic pops out every once in a while (one of those classic themes in MWF), but since Yamato seems to have a great time milking their licenses...maybe taking on a often neglected subject as classic Zentran mecha like the Regult or the Glaug would be a good idea.

Surely, I love a 1/60 Regult and Glaug! :)

That would be nice if we can do a poll to show Yamato/Bandai how much we want them. ;)

I'm wondering if the reason why Yamato is steering clear of enemy mecha is because the Q-Rau sales sucked so bad back in '04. Everyone complains about the Q-Rau lacking so bad compared to the 1/60 Valkyries...but lets face it folks, exactly what was everyone expecting it to be? Its a suit of missile-laden power armor, not a transforming mecha. As far as design, Yamato was spot-on with the toy. No missile-firing gimmicks or light-up LEDs. Just a bad-ass Meltran mecha.

Any company will look at their bottom line before they'll look at rabid fanboy enthusiasm (or lack thereof) when assessing whether or not to make a certain product. Trust me, I'm just as much a rabid Macross fanboy as anyone else on here, but I also work in management for Toys R Us, so I know how the supply/demand formula works from a retail point of view. If the product is only marketed to a very small demographic, then it will usually only see a small production run (read: limited edition, store exclusive, etc.) or a company will simply not bother making it at all. If the Q-Rau tanked as bad as I've been reading here on the forums, then there may not be more enemy mecha down the road. Glaugs and Regults won't feature anything ground-breaking either. Posable legs (arms, in the case of the Glaug) and movable cannons, similar to the Revoltech version...but that'll probably be about it. Whether these things would come with a pre-posed Zentran pilot or not is dependent on whether Yamato wants to risk taking another bath with enemy mecha or not. The Zentran Nousjadeul-Ger power armor will most likely be based on the same principle as the Q-Rau. Just an 18" "action figure" with an opening pilot's compartment, rotating shoulder cannon, and limited articulation...if 34 points of articulation is considered limited. I also base the articulation on what the Q-Rau has.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here. I'm just saying that I understand why some toy manufacturers tend to shy away from "bad guy" stuff. It simply doesn't sell as well nor as much as "good guy" stuff. The only possible exceptions to this rule seem to be in the Star Wars and GI Joe lines, where both sides are equally represented with a ton of figures and/or vehicles and accessories. I truly hate comparing Macross to something as horrible as Power Rangers, but they both have their origins in Japan, and therefore can sort of illustrate my point here. PR was brought over to the states and reworked for the US market, much like Macross was in a certain TV show I will not mention. For years, the bazillions of incarnations that PR has gone through has had one constant: 5 to 6 hero figures and 1 enemy figure in its lineups. That 5:1 ratio speaks volumes.

I'm like anyone else here in saying that I'd love to see every Zentran and Meltran mecha ever given screen time to be made into some form of toy (er, collectible). But I'm also tending to look at this with cautious optimism, not with stern or overzealous conviction that Yamato will "hear the cries of the masses" because in the grand scheme of things, we're just a niche demographic, not its sole bread and butter source.

But...I could be completely off base on this because I'm basing everything on how most toy companies and retailers operate here in the US. Things MAY be done completely different in the Asian markets...

True. I have my fair share of HCM Pro Zaku IIs...especially from 08th MS Team. But Gundam has a far more diverse "universe" of products than Macross does. And you also have a whole spectrum of price ranges that you can get your Gundam fix (no pun intended) from. MSiA figures run in the $10-$15 range, while 1/60 model kits and the new SHCM Pro figures run into the hundreds of dollars. For the most part, Macross is pretty much in the $100+ range, depending on what you're looking for. But I'm only speaking for factory-fresh items, not second-hand markets like eBay. I know you can occasionally luck up on a 1/60 v.2 Valk for a steal, but that's not always the case. You're more likely to find the Holy Grail at a flea market! :D

As a whole, Macross merchandise is generally a wallet-assassin, no matter where you look for it. Gundam, not so much. Q-Raus are STILL going for $100 to $150 on eBay, 1st and 2nd releases. Yet no one seems to be that interested in buying them...at least from what I've seen. And honestly, I wouldn't want to drop $90 to $100 on a standard Regult, then pay another $80 to $100 in a few months for the "Regult Fast Pack" set just to get the missile launchers and non-posable figure. But that's just me. Yamato did one hell of a job with the destroids. Those particular mecha each have individual "personalities" that make them unique and interesting to look at, even though they're supposedly modular in design. Zentran mecha are all the same army-builder units. Sure, you'd get repaints, like Kamjin's Nousjadeul-Ger or the DYRL Regult with a green paint scheme, but beyond that, not much else.

My point here is basically that the price to produce Yamato items may play a huge part in whether enemy mecha end up a reality. ;)

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

Yes to 1/60 Regults. With included articulating Zentraedi soldier pilot. Scout version for SURE!

I never would have thought that I would drop what I did for a Yamato Destroid but they turned out so nice I could not resist.

If Yamato built a quality Regult and I liked the sculpt and features then I would do the same.

Hey everybody,

I assume you are referring to the Matchbox toys, yes? The ones later released as Exo Squad toys. I never really thought about the scale of those. I mean, it is certainly not to scale for the figure that fits inside, and I don't think it's even to scale for the larger figure that doesn't fit inside either. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what scale they are or supposed to be?

With regard to the Q-Raus, the Max version sold out fairly quickly the first time around IIRC. The Millia was typically available even if it sold out in some places. I remember getting the first version Millia on e-bay for $80. If HLJ puts the re-issued Max on sale later, I will probably get it. Otherwise, I would rather put my limited funds towards some of the newer things being released by Yamato and Bandai. Another factor to consider with regard to things selling well is the shipping. Shipping has gone way up since the time the first Q-Raus were released. That is definitely going to be a factor at least for the import market.

Edited by sharky

I'm in for 1/60 pods and glaugs for sure. I posted somewhere else that they NEED to have removable and posable pilots, but I'm wondering if that will make it too expensive and also very hard to make the scale accurate.

I mean, how tall would the enemy pilot have to stand to be realistic with the 1/60 v.2 line? That's going to be one big pod to accommodate that guy.

If the dead pilot clutching the foot of the 1D looks like a pipsqueak we'll all still be complaining we don't have the 'real thing yet', and 'can't wait til they REALLY do a pod' etc, etc . . .

If the Q-Raus sold so badly, why would Yamato re-issue them? There must have been enough demand in the first place for that to happen right?

Yamato probably reissued their Q-Rau's to cash in on Frontier's success. Pixie Squadron is very popular with fans and the 1/60 Q-Rau is the closest we have to a 1/60 Q-Rea.

As for 1/60 Regults, there's already one out on the market: the Matchbox Battle Pod! It's probably closer to 1/61 scale and isn't very detailed, but for $15 it's a fair deal.

A Regult is about the only high-end toy I'd buy from Yamato at this point.

If they're skittish about sinking the cash into such a beast, (as well they should be in this economy) maybe they could at least make a GN-U Dou version. I'd totally buy that.

What's up with the GN-U Dou line anyways? Isn't it about time they announced some more classic super bots for that line? Maybe throw in the Dorvack mechs since they made other bots from the same studio; it'd be a nice cheap alternative for those not willing to shell out for the CMs version just now.

If Bandai & Yamato decided to truly make a complete line of 1/60 scaled Enemy Mecha's: Battle pods, Zentradi & Meltrandi, the Vajra..... and so on, It could be said that in some Anime series bad guys do not sell as well, But hell this is MACROSS were talking about, both sides are about equal in peoples interest. To have a fleet of Q-rau & Regult and Glaug's would be as desired as a squadron of Valkyries. Breetai's flagship as much as an SDF-1 or Battle Frontier and so on.

So if either or both companies were serious on the concept of Enemy mecha, what a cash flow it would be for them. I mean seriously, in the last 25 years, very little has ever been made, the only recent stuff has been Millia and Max's Q-rau from DYRL, I think most of us would like to see more than that offered!! And Pete is totally right, poseable pilots would be a big must!!

According to my magic 8 Ball, its says, "Future cloudy, but who knows.... stranger things have happened!!" B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

The reason why I prefer a 1/60 to the Revoltech (I own two, so one has the missle pod and the other does not) is that a contemporary Yamato Destroid is very entertaining without the transformation feature of a VF, and it's one of those things that have been missing (despite the Matchbox version, no modern re-release) from the macross mecha lines.

I do understand that enemy mecha are considered to be less popular than hero mecha, but if Gundam plamo is of any reference value (which baddie is not represented??), and adding the fact that Zentradi are not technically "classic bad guys"...I am not sure the Ragult (or the N-ger, Q-rau, Glaug...) would do poorly on the shelves. Keep in mind: Macross is for the Japanese market, so shipping fees are completely NOT a concern for the manufacturer. If there was a concern, it would be the present market conditions and the weakening toy industry in China (so many factories are closing or agonizing). I am not holding my breath for this mold to be developed, but taking into account the new Macross popularity, I wonder if Yamato would ride on it and surprise us with a new mold instead of eternally making EVERY VF-1 ever seen on or off screen, just like the very welcome and playable DEstroids, which are NOT piloted by any main character that I know of and DO NOT transform or have led or make noised by pushing a button.

And to answer Pete, I would definitely buy every Zentran/Meltran Revoltech or GN-U, but so far only the Regult has been made!

EDIT: The Q-rau was not popular? if this is true (I am not so sure it is!) than it would be because of the poor articulation vs price ratio. If poseability was anywhere close to the contemporary Destroid, you bet it would have ben re-issued many times and in many different liveries...which again makes me daydream about how wonderful a Regult would be :p

Edited by regult

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone reviews these posts to evaluate interest:

WE WANT 1/60 REGULTS / GLAUG / GNERL too!

If doing it with posable, removable pilots would be too cost prohibitive, and force your scale to be too large, than we can live without the pilots - but we'd be kinda sad.

And anyone within the sound of my voice that has a 1/60 VF - PLEASE buy at least ONE REGULT!

Thank you for your support . . .

I see Cyclone Trooper's point. We all own multiple Valks but would we really buy 5-10-15 enemy mecha? No we would only probably buy one of each and some of us might buy a repaint that's it. It just doesn't have the appeal of the other mecha. I don't think Q-rau's did bad in sales and if the destoids are selling well that may hopefully convince Yamato and/or Bandai that this should be done.

I realized today that I should buy a Q-rau so I did. I think $99 on HLJ is a bit of a steal. Sure it wont have the articulation of my Destroids but it's a 1/60 Q-rau! It's allot bigger than a Destroid! Besides nobody can argue with the sculpt. It looks great! And for those detractors out there, lets face it the artwork does NOT lend it's self to posability. That large organic design with the giant pack on the back just limits what the hell Yamato could do with it. I imagine if Revoltech did a Q-rau we might see something more posable but that's only because of Revoltech joints and it wouldn't be as large as the Yamato one anyway. If I had any complaint about the Q-rau is that it doesn't come with the figure anymore. That sucks. It would be worth $120-$130 with a POSABLE pilot. I am sure that must of pissed off allot of people that they couldn't pose a fig outside of the cockpit. They need to sell the Enemy mecha with poseable pilots or offer them as a seperate purchase if they want to keep the price down.

Anyway if Yamato does do enemy mecha I think people need to respect the fact that we are going to have to pay somewhere between $150-$200, IF we want a posable figure with it. Without one I hope that it could be close to the price of the destroids but we are looking at larger figures here so it won't. I would hope that they could keep it in the $100 to $120 range without. Anyway lets face it, Yamato just isn't going to have the volume like they would with the VF-1s. We are going to have to pay for it like we would for a YF-22 or a VF-11B. I for one am in, but I hold no illusions about these being cheap figures or that I am going to buy allot of them. But I will definitely buy!

Edited by logos

I see Cyclone Trooper's points as well. Unfortunately for me, I'm always collecting the 'bad' guys' stuff: Star Wars (AT-AT and Star Destroyers definitely cooler than those puny snowspeeders and medical Frigates), Ultraman (I'll take lobster claws Baltan over silly egg-eyed Ultraman anyday, Battlestar Galactica (Raiders and Base-stars definitely win style points over Vipers and Battlestar), etc.

So if the Q-Rau really did badly and hurt Yamato's bottomline, I guess the Regult and Glaug will probably take another decade to be released by Yamato, if ever. Maybe Bandai may do us a favour and release the Q-Rea to test the market when the global economy has recovered. ^_^

p.s. I own 1st release 2 Red Q-Raus and 1 Blue Q-Rau, all bought from webshops located in Japan. Luckily for me, I'm based in Asia. So the shipping isn't as costly as shipping all the way to USA/S.America.

I like the Q-Rau, but they don’t have much play value. Like Logos points out design doesn’t do anything to help the figures’ range of motion. Though they are a very nice display piece, but not much beyond this, IMO. For most, they’d get better value for money with something else.

I’d love to see a 1/60th Regult but it would be in the same boat. It’s like putting an egg on chopsticks, there would be all sorts of balance issues. Even the Revoltech can be a pain to get standing in a cool pose. You’d need big sticky feet and uber joints or a support stand, look at the Mospeada 1/10 VR-052F, ruined by balance issues. IMO, if something has feet it shouldn’t need a display stand to support it. I think a light weight snap kit would work, but at the moment these are in the 1/72 scale from Bandai. Perfect Grade Macross??? Don’t see it happening, but would love it. They’re also the fact it very curvy & round so it’s harder to stick on sprus.

This might be wishful thinking, test the waters with 1/100 and see how they do and then move it up a scale.

Yep good point. But as long as a Regult doesn't cost as much as a Mospeada Ridearmor I would be ok with some balance issues and or modifications to the design to make it balance better, but then people would be bitching that it wouldn't be anime accurate....

Anyway I am buying my Q-Rau just to have one and I would buy a Regult just to have one. I wouldn't be a toy but a display piece anyways just like all my valks, despite my illusions that it is otherwise. Also I accept that the Q-Rau has balance and articulation issues so you won't see me complaining as much (thanks for your review by the way) as I did when I ran into troubles with the Battroid mode on my YF-21 ($100 vs. $200....just a little disappointed there but considering the art design it couldn't really be helped.). I wonder if that's why they included a display stand just like the company that did the Ridearmor?

Anyway I love your reviews Wizartar! And again, thanks for ruining the VF-1D for me by pointing out that seem line! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by logos

I'll be the heretic here and say I have absolutely no interest in a 1/60 Regult. I'd rather have Yamato concentrate their time and resources on more Valkyries. There is no way I'm paying $100+ and giving up that much shelf space for an ugly enemy mecha. Maybe $25~$30 for a smaller 1/100 scale Regult but only after Bandai or Yamato releases a sizeable number of Valks in that scale.

Don't listen to him Yamato! He's probably from Bandai just trying to talk you out of making the 1/60 Regults!

Even if he isn't I will buy his share of Regults, posable or no posable pilots.

Since I'm sinking $800 + dollars into your VF 1/60 line I promise I will go a few hundred dollars more for 2 Regults, a Glaug and a green TV version Q-rau . . .

As I stated before, Yamato's penchant for after-market add-ons is what would potentially sour me on getting a 1/60 Glaug or Regult. It would be done exactly like the current Valkyries. First, you'd get the basic battlepods for $90 to $100. 3 to 6 months later, we'd get the $80 "Regult Armament Pack" that would allow you to make the various other versions of the Regult. This pack would include the two different missile launcher systems with removable missiles or opening armor panels.; and possibly a snap-on front faceplate and ELINT gear to make the Scout pod. This would then tempt many collectors to quadruple their Regult collections so they could have one of each version. That would then be followed by a $120 "Glaug Booster Sled Pack" that turns the Glaug into a space fighter.

Now, while Yamato is marketing these add-on packs, it will simultaneous release a "Kamjin Perfect Memory Glaug" that comes with the aforementioned booster sled, special paint scheme, and a non-articulated Kamjin figure...for $200. The Regult would also get the "deluxe" treatment by being sold with all of the Armament Pack accessories as well...just like how the VF-1J comes with Fast Packs. And boom...suddenly Yamato has saturated the market with TECHNICALLY 4 different versions of only two Zentran mecha practically overnight. That's understandable. Its maximizing the potential of a single mold. Hell, look at the rainbow of repaints of the Jedi Starfighter from Ep. III that Hasbro has cranked out over the last 3 years. Its the same concept. A year later, both of these mecha will then be given the "weathered special" paint scheme and have a $500 price tag slapped on them.

...and half of us here on MW will be posting "JUST PREORDERED TWO OF EACH!" lol

At least this is the formula Yamato's been using for releasing various incarnations of the Valkyries over the years...

I will however say that if there is anyone who owns a Q-Rau and doesn't particular like it, particularly the blue Max version, and would be willing to part with it, PM me! :D

Bad guy mecha can sell too! Look at the SV-51's for instance. As for non-transforming mecha releases... I guess they tested the water with their destroids, which turned out quite well imo.

It'd be cool if they at least released some regults and other enemy mechs in their GNU-Dou line. Though they'd best start with a Glaug or q-rau or something else, what with the revoltech regult already availbable. (I can't stand that revoltech stuff. Cheap rubber chew toys the lot of 'em.)

Not nearly as big a risk and if the scope and quality of the line was good enough it'd likely see strong sales. I'd sure as hell buy them.