Launching Day Ceremony

Cyclone Trooper

I'm a professional lurker here on the boards. Not much of an active participant, mainly because I feel like anything I could contribute to any given thread is generally voiced ten times over by other members who beat me to the punch, so to speak. I just read Macross World for the articles! lol But today, I had something VERY cool happen. Today, February 7th, 2009, is my 36th birthday (yes, I'm a dinosaur)...which is also the last known "rebooted" launch date of the SDF-1.

This morning, my wife tells me that I have a surprise birthday present sitting on the dining room table. It was a box about the same size as a Yamato Destroid box, complete with cheesy birthday wrapping paper and multicolored bow. I opened it and saw that my gorgeous wife had tracked down a WAVE SDF-1. It's one of the original "blue steel" versions, but I didn't care! The DYRL version of the Macross has always been my absolute favorite design of the battlefortress, and I had missed out on the original releases. I know many on here hate the 1/5000 scale and the weird arm assemblies, but I for one am blown away by it. She told me that she got it from an eBay seller in California (perhaps someone on here?) and went to great lengths to keep the whole thing a secret from me.

The significance of today's date and receiving this awesome SDF-1 wasn't lost on me. Just thought I'd share... :lol:

As a 30+er myself, that is one cool present. Happy birthday, man. My wife for Christmas got me the MPC Beta, and as my birthday is coming up on the 21st, I'm always surprised at what my wife does. She's also a fan, so that does help. :)

Awesome gift too. I've handled the WAVE SDF-1, but never got one. Congrats, consider yourself hooked up!!!

Thanks everyone!

After asking her how she knew what to look for, she told me that she's been "researching" DYRL (and the SDF-1 in particular) from my old Gold Book I've had since 1988 and various Macross mecha websites, though she doesn't recall which sites exactly. She's known for years that I've been a die-hard Macross fan since I was a teenager, and apparently got inspired to get the SDF-1 by me watching DYRL for the umpteenth time about a month ago. What makes this all so great is the fact that she had no idea that the SDF-1's launch date and my birthday coincide! When I told her this today, she grinned and commented that she was the best wife ever for picking such an appropriate gift.

How true... :wub:

Congrats! I'll be 37 in a couple of weeks myself and I think I have convinced my wife to get me a Bandai 1/60 VF-25f Ozma. Been trying for years to get her to get me anything macross for me birthing day. She doesn't mind my collecting macross she just wishes I didn't have sooooo much! I have been thinning out the heard so she is happier now. Plus I have gone out and bought some of the Ikea detolf display cabinets and she likes those and doesn't mind my collection displayed in them as opposed to scattered about the house on shelves.

Happy Birthday! Lurk don't lurk it's all good.

hey congrats! too bad my lady never gets me what i want!...she always gets me what i need like clothes/wallet/watch/& some other stuff that would be the last thing on my mind to purchase for myself. well..i guess if i didnt have her, i would be wearing no clothes, carrying a cc and cash in my pocket, and with nothing but macross gear. hahaha . anyways, you got a great lady in your life that is appreciative of your passions and hobbies!

I'm almost 37 and wouldn't call you that old. A lot of us saw Macross/Robotech as kids and it always stuck with us. I have not been active here in a long while mostly because life things - kids mostly. I was trying to get out of the hobby but just can't when they keep making cool toys. I would be blown away if my wife knew what I wanted and found a way to get it. Very impressive!

I'm a professional lurker here on the boards. Not much of an active participant, mainly because I feel like anything I could contribute to any given thread is generally voiced ten times over by other members who beat me to the punch, so to speak. I just read Macross World for the articles! lol But today, I had something VERY cool happen. Today, February 7th, 2009, is my 36th birthday (yes, I'm a dinosaur)...which is also the last known "rebooted" launch date of the SDF-1.

This morning, my wife tells me that I have a surprise birthday present sitting on the dining room table. It was a box about the same size as a Yamato Destroid box, complete with cheesy birthday wrapping paper and multicolored bow. I opened it and saw that my gorgeous wife had tracked down a WAVE SDF-1. It's one of the original "blue steel" versions, but I didn't care! The DYRL version of the Macross has always been my absolute favorite design of the battlefortress, and I had missed out on the original releases. I know many on here hate the 1/5000 scale and the weird arm assemblies, but I for one am blown away by it. She told me that she got it from an eBay seller in California (perhaps someone on here?) and went to great lengths to keep the whole thing a secret from me.

The significance of today's date and receiving this awesome SDF-1 wasn't lost on me. Just thought I'd share... :lol:

Happy birthday.

And you are lucky guy. :)