Currently watching Macross 7

Smiley424

Hello everyone,

I'm just posting my opinions on Macross 7. I'm kinda in the middle of the whole series right now, I find myself liking the series overall so far. It is very different from SDF Macross and Macross Plus. The show does start off pretty slow, but its finally picked up and has gotten pretty interesting. The music is definately an acquired taste, I don't find it too bad, but they just sing the same 4 or 5 songs all the time. Definately gets grating at times <_< . I really like the mecha, hope to one day see Yamato do some Mac7 mecha.

Overall, after a slow start, I find myself liking Macross 7.

Alright another fan :D. I think you'll find that a lot of people agree that the series starts off slow. Having Fire Bomber sing the same song over and over again and being the main focus in the first set of episodes and really waiting so long to explain things is really the main downfalls of the series.

Okay, now that I just finished watching Macross 7 and Dynamite 7 I have a question. Mylene decided that she loves Basara and not Gamlin, but from what I understand, that never gets fully resolved, i.e. Basara & Mylene don't get together in the end. If thats the case, man, that sucks, I like to have the loose ends all tied up by the end of the series. I figured the semi love triangle between Basara/Mylene/Gamlin would get resolved, and it does I guess, but I don't like how it was done. Throughout the entire series I was half expecting something to happen with the girl in the white dress with flowers (either she gets with Basara or her and Gamlin get together since Mylene and Basara do). But it seems there's no clear cut resolution of that whole situation.

Anyone have anything to say about that?

Okay, now that I just finished watching Macross 7 and Dynamite 7 I have a question. Mylene decided that she loves Basara and not Gamlin, but from what I understand, that never gets fully resolved, i.e. Basara & Mylene don't get together in the end. If thats the case, man, that sucks, I like to have the loose ends all tied up by the end of the series. I figured the semi love triangle between Basara/Mylene/Gamlin would get resolved, and it does I guess, but I don't like how it was done. Throughout the entire series I was half expecting something to happen with the girl in the white dress with flowers (either she gets with Basara or her and Gamlin get together since Mylene and Basara do). But it seems there's no clear cut resolution of that whole situation.

Anyone have anything to say about that?

Here we go again :lol:

I've said it before, I'll say it again...I think the love triangle would have been a lot more convincing if Basara had shown even the slightest bit of interest in Mylene.

That is true but I still have a problem of them even suggesting there was a love triangle. Both Basara and Gamlin were much older then Mylene. The two of them were what, in their early 20s and she was only 14. Come on. <_< If she was just a few years older it would have been more believeable as well.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...I think the love triangle would have been a lot more convincing if Basara had shown even the slightest bit of interest in Mylene.

That is true but I still have a problem of them even suggesting there was a love triangle. Both Basara and Gamlin were much older then Mylene. The two of them were what, in their early 20s and she was only 14. Come on. <_< If she was just a few years older it would have been more believeable as well.

Aye. That was the problem I had with a lot of the fanservice during the ending credits, as well. Seems a bit much for someone who's only 14.

Aye. That was the problem I had with a lot of the fanservice during the ending credits, as well. Seems a bit much for someone who's only 14.

I agree, if they had just said she was 19 or something it would have been acceptable.

Actually, arranged marrages(which is what Milia was trying to hook up between Mylene and Gamlin) involving young teens is a normal practice in Japan.

Basara seems to prefer women with large...er...assests like Sivil and Emilia. :p

Edited by McKlown

Actually, arranged marrages(which is what Milia was trying to hook up between Mylene and Gamlin) involving young teens is a normal practice in Japan.

fwiw,

arranged-marriages is one thing.

fan-servicing a 14-year-old is quite another.

Basara seems to prefer women with large...er...assests like Sivil and Emilia.  :p

Well, Rex also had some good-size knockers, iirc.

--treatment--

Basara seems to prefer women with large...er...assests like Sivil and Emilia. :p

I don't think he prefered anything... I think he ended up spending more time in the two of them so he would have an excuse to play more of his crappy music.

Isn't the age limit quite a bit lower over there? You just have to remember that the show was not made in America, sensibilities are different elsewhere. I just accept it for what it is - if it makes you have uncomfortable feelings, that's your own problem (it's not like Mylene was forced into a Sex Camp... well, except for that D7 subplot :p )

What japanese anime doesn't fan service young girls? There are whole series that are based off of that premise. That doesn't even talk about the manga industry (Shounen anyone?). If you think Macross was Bad, go and watch Chobits... the main character wasn't even a HUMAN teenager and she was fanserviced at least once/eight times during an episode.

What japanese anime doesn't fan service young girls? There are whole series that are based off of that premise. That doesn't even talk about the manga industry (Shounen anyone?). If you think Macross was Bad, go and watch Chobits... the main character wasn't even a HUMAN teenager and she was fanserviced at least once/eight times during an episode.

I don;'t know,, I find Chobit more enjoyable and easier to get into the story than Macross 7.,, CHIII??

Anyways, it's anime, so you should expect fan service whenever posible. But 14 is still pretty young.

But there are girls in real life that look like 13-14 even when they are 19 or 20.

Yup. 14 is quite young.

I quite like fanservices. I enjoy the fanservices in Chobits and Mahoromatic because it adds to the story and theme of the respective series.

Mylene's fan-servicing basically just doesn't add anything to M7's plot or theme. It ain't even a good fanservicing. It's just a cheap hack to portray and fanserviced a 14yo mixed-race girl, imho.

Rex and Sivil were fanserviced quite ok and were kinda pertinent to Basara's character-growth. Heck! Even Miria's fanservice was done good for hilarity-purposes.

I've finished the series, the episode where they launch Operation Stargazer is probably my fave cuz of all the crazy mecha vs. mecha action, and Max breaks out the Blue VF-22. I was waiting for him to finally take it on himself to pilot a valk and get things done. The Varatu Valks are pretty cool, I like how they are based on the UN Spacy valks they captured.

Anyway, for most of the series I didn't think there even was a love triangle at all. Not until the episode with the sound booster backpacks where they visually show the triangle did I realize wtf was going on. I also thought they'd go somewhere with the girl in the white dress with flowers but I guess not.

As for the age thing, I figure it must be something with Japanese pop-culture or something. It does bother me when they go and fan-service these young girls, but it's so prevalent in anime I just tend to ignore it and pay more attention to the overall storyline of whatever show I'm watching.

Isn't 14 the age of consent in Japan? I remember reading something crazy like that on another forum, where they linked a site that had ages of consent and all that. In one US state, I think it might 15 or 16... in the South IIRC. Oh well.

Even so, nothing M7 did was over the top, certainly nothing in the "hentai" realm. ;) MD7 had that weird bit with the older woman drugging Mylene up and all that... but it was all suggestive and we didn't see anything...

As far as the rest of M7, even Planet Dance never got that annoying to me... and it was cool when Kinryu and Gigil sang it... and the M7 fleet and valkyrie development was cool. I remember grinning at seeing Docker with the new VF-19S and when Max showed up on Varauta with his VF-22S... sweetness.

There were actually a few love triangles in 7.

-Basara, Sivil, & Gigil

-Mylene's love for both Basara & Gamlin

-Basara, Emilia's right breast, & Emilia's left breast

-Ray, Akiko, & Stephen

-Kinryu, Miho, & Sally

-Max, Milia, & their careers

-Physica, his cheating whore wife, & his cheating whore wife's new husband

etc.

-Basara, Emilia's right breast, & Emilia's left breast

-Kinryu, Miho, & Sally

But I thougth that in love triangles there needs to be conflict. When was there conflict in any of these relationships? :lol:

But yeah, I think Mylene got too much "attention" in the M7 line. I tend to be against it overall becuase I hate the idea of that being a selling-point of a show. I totally understand Millia wanting to get here married, though, I mean, once you have 7 girls, you'll be glad to get'em gone.

Isn't 14 the age of consent in Japan? I remember reading something crazy like that on another forum, where they linked a site that had ages of consent and all that. In one US state, I think it might 15 or 16... in the South IIRC. Oh well.

It's 13. And I wouldn't say it was crazy, if you think about it, it kind of makes sense.

It's always in the south! :rolleyes:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I'm afraid I'm going to be showing my Otaku ignorance here, but fan-service? You make it sound like fellatio or something. What're we talking about?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I'm afraid I'm going to be showing my Otaku ignorance here, but fan-service? You make it sound like fellatio or something. What're we talking about?

Fanservice ranges anywhere from a little bit (or lot) of cleavage & bending over, to full on nudity (see Mahoromatic for a good sense of "fanservice.").

So when we say "fan service" what we really mean is "man service."

More or less.... <_<

Well, when most fans are male.. what do you expect? Giant robot animation isnt quite a big draw for females.

Right, but there is a lot of Ranma 1/2 or Ah! My Goddess type stuff that girls can get into, and fan-servicing can still be found there. It's not limited to "mecha driven" series.

-Physica, his cheating whore wife, & his cheating whore wife's new husband

I just felt like hell when I saw that part. I had wished that Gamrin would have gone over and at least slapped the taste out of her mouth.