1/72 Centipede Heavy Transport Truck

ahiachris

I am thinking of making some 1/72 ground vehicles. My first project will be the Centipede All-Environment Heavy Transport Truck. I am still at the stage of drawing the line arts. Have to fill in a lot of gaps at the underneath chassis. Any comments?? .

post-7569-1233846103_thumb.gif

Edited by ahiachris

Can't believe it! I was about to start the same project! Didn't make any drawings tho. There is a rear view of the transport on the books that will help you. I think I'll move to other vehicles and leave this one to you ;) Hope to see the progress soon.

Martin

finally, some love for ground vehicles! i hope you guys see this through. prior attempts got sidelined. hope you guys are planning to share ;)

there's actually an even bigger truck shown in perfect memory, and i think recently in macross chronicles

It's already very big. Approximately 12 meters in length. I didn't have the Perfect Memory book but I'm collecting the Macross Chronicle right now.

You do realize that thing will be almost as big as Johns launch vehicle right. Possibly more expensive due to the higher parts number as well.

Nope, It won't be that big. 12 meters is only around 17cm in 1/72. Unless you are talking about another vehicle. Still have to figure how to make the stairs.

Edited by ahiachris

Nope, It won't be that big. 12 meters is only around 17cm in 1/72. Unless you are talking about another vehicle. Still have to figure how to make the stairs.

I think the stair would be the least of the problems.. Almost any aircraft model has the mounting steps on its building parts that can be used as a mock up. The wheel axles, cabin angle, windows and little greebles behind it would pose a bigger challenge...

Edited by 007-vf1

finally, some love for ground vehicles! i hope you guys see this through. prior attempts got sidelined. hope you guys are planning to share ;)

there's actually an even bigger truck shown in perfect memory, and i think recently in macross chronicles

I'm willing to make a couple of vehicles but won't be doing the casting. I can send the parts to someone who can actually cast them and take over the work of sending the kits to whoever wants them. I'll only take a pair of cast for myself.

Martin

I'm willing to make a couple of vehicles but won't be doing the casting. I can send the parts to someone who can actually cast them and take over the work of sending the kits to whoever wants them. I'll only take a pair of cast for myself.

Martin

I have a couple of friends here in Hong Kong who's doing casting works on resin garage kits. I can ship the kits too.

Christopher

I have a couple of friends here in Hong Kong who's doing casting works on resin garage kits. I can ship the kits too.

Christopher

GREAT! I'm VERY interested. B))

This is another side project I'm working on too (great minds think alike B)) ). Of course I'm building in 1/200th, but I'm very interested in your project. I ordered some HO scale monster truck tires that are right on the money for size and they're rubber too. If I was you I'd start looking in toy stores for the tires. The rest is easy once you get your wheels and tires sorted out.

Please keep us posted on your progress! - MT

This is another side project I'm working on too (great minds think alike B)) ). Of course I'm building in 1/200th, but I'm very interested in your project. I ordered some HO scale monster truck tires that are right on the money for size and they're rubber too. If I was you I'd start looking in toy stores for the tires. The rest is easy once you get your wheels and tires sorted out.

Thanks for the inputs. I think I'll go for resin tyres. I'll only have to sculpt one tyre and have it cast. I'm already starting at the containers.

Yup Toy stores are the spare parts yards of the scratch builder

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting project. That thing would be absolutely huge!

I'd did all the calculations. Petar, what is the height of your pilots?? For the centipede I'm working on, an average height crew of 1.8 meter will be 25mm i height. For the truck to look consistence with the artwork, the truck will be approximately 250mm in length (18meters). It's indeed a hugh kit. Everyone are invited to give inputs.

post-7569-1235147684_thumb.jpg

I'd did all the calculations. Petar, what is the height of your pilots?? For the centipede I'm working on, an average height crew of 1.8 meter will be 25mm i height. For the truck to look consistence with the artwork, the truck will be approximately 250mm in length (18meters). It's indeed a hugh kit. Everyone are invited to give inputs.

This would be a great project. Love the design. If a kit looked good I'd have one.

What an awesome project to take on!! If there are plans to cast this, I'm in for at least two.

No promises yet. Only managed to get the correct scale of the vehicle. I'd initially sculpted one wheel but eventually it the scale was not correct. I had to redo the wheel. Still don't know if I'll do it with cockpit or not. If the driver cab can be seen then I'll have to provide canopies. It'll be difficult to mass produce. The stairs and ladders and the catwalk will be another issue...

Feel free to give your inputs B))

post-7569-1235579636_thumb.jpg

Edited by ahiachris

Feel free to give your inputs B))

OK, thoughts: vacform the whole canopy in clear - struts can be painted on. Internal cabin area, wheels, machinery, suspension and chassis in resin. Ladder in brass rod - provide a bending template and the rod, with a cutting template and a sheet of thin styrene for the treads, or cast them in resin. Let buyers do the work, anything resincast that was thin enough to look good would break in transit anyway.

Most of the load could be vacform I'd think.

OK, thoughts: vacform the whole canopy in clear - struts can be painted on. Internal cabin area, wheels, machinery, suspension and chassis in resin. Ladder in brass rod - provide a bending template and the rod, with a cutting template and a sheet of thin styrene for the treads, or cast them in resin. Let buyers do the work, anything resincast that was thin enough to look good would break in transit anyway.

Most of the load could be vacform I'd think.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll do a solid prototype driver cab first. May be will try the vacuum canopy. As for all the other parts will mostly be resin. The ladder might be photo-etch and the stairs going to the driver cab will most likely be Plastruct. Even if a Vac form canopy be provided, the actual driver/crew will not be big because an airlock must be provided. The truck can be use under atmospheric pressure and without atmospheric pressure.

I'd almost finished doing the tyres and I'm doing the driver cab right now. As for "let buyers do the work" no promises. My skill is not very good. Let all if they are going to get one and decide it when I finish the vehicle and start to mass produce it.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll do a solid prototype driver cab first. May be will try the vacuum canopy. As for all the other parts will mostly be resin. The ladder might be photo-etch and the stairs going to the driver cab will most likely be Plastruct. Even if a Vac form canopy be provided, the actual driver/crew will not be big because an airlock must be provided. The truck can be use under atmospheric pressure and without atmospheric pressure.

I'd almost finished doing the tyres and I'm doing the driver cab right now. As for "let buyers do the work" no promises. My skill is not very good. Let all if they are going to get one and decide it when I finish the vehicle and start to mass produce it.

Well, your wheels look good so far! :)

An airlock, yeah, and also probably a micro galley, sleeping area and toilet. I get the idea this thing is for seriously long-haul work. You can picture it trucking stuff thousands of miles across Lunar plains and Martian deserts.

Edit: a solid cab is what you need first off anyway, for your vacform buck. :)

Edited by Kremmen

I'm hoping you're making one wheel and casting it!? I saw all those treadless blanks and thought hmm...

You wanted suggestions so here's my two cents (from someone who WILL be building one).

1) Plastruct makes stairs. Buy theirs and cut it to your needs.

2) Build the cabin out of clear styrene sheets (it's basically square) and paint or cover it with THIN styrene.

3) I'd still recommend toy tires to save time. Just copy one. I was able to buy mine with wheels/tires for HO train monster trucks (manufactured by Busch).

4) I bet the transaxels from a HEMMT (sample - http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1807_1_1507185.html) will be the right size.

DON'T GIVE UP!!! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'd been very busy working at the office. Since my son is still two years old so I can't do any work at home.

Finally managed to get time building the driver cab. It's still very rough but I'll get there. I'll definitely be sculpting one or two tyre and send them to the caster. The size of the vehicle is really very very huge when compared with the valkyrie. I'll start some more detailing of the cab and will start on the chassis.

Petar, I'd finally noticed that the pilots sculpted by Hasegawa for all most valkyrie were out of proportion.

Don't forget to give comments and suggestion. I might be mass produced when it's finished.........Hope you all enjoy. B))

post-7569-1236701753_thumb.jpg

post-7569-1236701759_thumb.jpg

why not for the 1/48 015_orz-v2.gif

I am thinking that it will look great with a 1/48 diorama. That is my plan. If you look at how huge it is with those 1/72 figures then I am thinking it will look just right next to 1/48s.

Great work so far. I think the vertical dimension of the front plane ahould be reduced a bit, this should be more evident if you look at the b/w art of the vehicle. The colored version gives the impression of a larger vertical area while the lower half of the front lights are actually in the angeled lower area of the cabin.