Anyways, back on topic, I REALLY hope we see some more ReZEL goodness in episode 5, cuz the last two episodes had WAY too much delta plus for my own good. Gah, the ReZEL is such a cool suit (best design from unicorn imho), and I'd like to see a lot more of it, even if it's only as cannon fodder.

Just started on episode 4.

OT, but is MS Igloo worth watching or not?

Graham

I thought the MS Igloo series was a bit boring overall. Only a few episodes peaked my interest. It looks nice though if you like that type of CG animation but I prefer the look of Unicorn.

IGLOO suffers from "you know exactly what's going to happen to the featured character" after the first episode or two, but it's got some pretty good battles.

MS Igloo suffers from having completely uninteresting cardboard cutouts standing in for actual characters. Except instead of cardboard cutout they're horrifyingly creepy meatbags. Also, by the end of it series, the level to which they're pushing both the "Zeon= Nazi's in space" AND the SEIG ZEON! space nationalist fervor simultaneously is kind of creepy.

And I've never been all that impressed with battle sequences either. All the suits move as if they have zero momentum or inertia.

Not really. Some Gundam I like, most I don't.

I don't hate all Gundam. In fact CCA and 0080 actually make my top ten list of all time favorite non-Macross anime.

I'm just in the mood to watch some mecha anime that I've not watched before.

Unicorn is visually stunning, but the mecha designs really do nothing for me, certainly give me no desire to buy toys or models of them. As usual, it's only the grunt GM cannon fodder types that I think actually look nice. There are very few MS designs that I actually think look nice enough that I would or have bought toys or models of them.

And the main protaganist is still the typical annoying, angsty, whiny Gundam character that makes me want to slap him and shout "grow a pair" at him.

One of the many reasons I prefer Macross to Gundam is the far lower level on angst (almost none) in Macross. Most Macross main characters just get on and do the job, whether it be killing or singing without all the angsty behavior and sobbing.

I'm half way through episode 4 and the main character has spent most of the episode so far crying.......LOL!

Graham

I thought ep 4 was by far the worst in the series, mainly because Banagher went way more "I have to understand humanity/emotions" than before, and more than even most other Gundam/anime pilots. Was all good up till then. Ending battle was awesome, but that's all because it was OTHER people doing the fighting.

And the main protaganist is still the typical annoying, angsty, whiny Gundam character that makes me want to slap him and shout "grow a pair" at him.

One of the many reasons I prefer Macross to Gundam is the far lower level on angst (almost none) in Macross. Most Macross main characters just get on and do the job, whether it be killing or singing without all the angsty behavior and sobbing.

I'm half way through episode 4 and the main character has spent most of the episode so far crying.......LOL!

Graham

Only true to "civilian teenager forced to pilot" scenario which only happened very few times (like, 4 times including Unicorn). So really, most Gundam main characters just get on and do the job, whether it be killing or preaching about peace without all the angsty behavior and sobbing :p .

I thought ep 4 was by far the worst in the series, mainly because Banagher went way more "I have to understand humanity/emotions" than before, and more than even most other Gundam/anime pilots. Was all good up till then. Ending battle was awesome, but that's all because it was OTHER people doing the fighting.

The thing is, unlike in SEED and 00, Banagher's effort of understanding is proved to be useless. And that's actually in tunes with other UC series. Amuro and Lalah, Kamille and Four, Judau and Haman, the same with Banagher and Loni. All that Newtype ghost talk none ended with happy ending. Banagher learned (or he should learn) that such idealism does not belong in war.

Actually, it's worked several times.

-Amuro found his way out of A Baoa Qu because of newtype touchy feely stuff with Lalah, Kika, Katz, & Letz

-Kamile took out Scirocco Paptimus because of his newtype touchy feely connection with damn near everyone who died.

-Judau had his newtype abilities awakened via contact with Kamille

-Newtype touchy feely stuff + psychoframe = saved Earth from Axis in Char's Counterattack.

I find the biggest problem Unicorn is having is that it's starting to cram more of the story into a shorter running time due to the need for pointless battle scenes. These did begin as light novels and I've found people who know the full story are also somewhat baffled by the attempts at cutting some things while keeping others.

Only true to "civilian teenager forced to pilot" scenario which only happened very few times (like, 4 times including Unicorn). So really, most Gundam main characters just get on and do the job, whether it be killing or preaching about peace without all the angsty behavior and sobbing :p .

Are you watching the same Gundam I am? Amuro, Kamille, Judau, Banahger, Seabook, Uso, Kira, Garrod, and Flit all fit the "civilian teenager forced to pilot" scenario (and that's just for the main hero characters). I'd hardly call 9 "very few times."

And of the few who were already military/Gundam pilots? Are you really going to argue that Kou, Heero, Trowa, Wufei, Athrun, Shinn, and Setsuna aren't angsty?

I find the biggest problem Unicorn is having is that it's starting to cram more of the story into a shorter running time due to the need for pointless battle scenes. These did begin as light novels and I've found people who know the full story are also somewhat baffled by the attempts at cutting some things while keeping others.

"Pointless battle scenes"! It's the battle scenes that make this OVA IMO, certainly not the story and dialogue.

Or to put it another way, I don't watch this OVA, for the seemingly endless scenes of Banagher explaining why it's good to feel sad and cry......yawn! Me wanna see lots of scenes of big stompy robots blowing each other up in glorious high definition...........LOL!

Although I appreciate how people who are into the novels may be upset that the anime adaptation is not 100% faithful.!

Want to ask, what was the Feddie suit that kicked ass in the battle at the end of episode 4. Looked like some sort of updated Gaplant.

Graham

Actually, it's worked several times.

I'm not specifically taking about Newtype magic power, but something like Banagher's effort on persuading Loni. Trying to convince your enemy with newtype ghost talk, that will always ended with tragedy.

Are you watching the same Gundam I am? Amuro, Kamille, Judau, Banahger, Seabook, Uso, Kira, Garrod, and Flit all fit the "civilian teenager forced to pilot" scenario (and that's just for the main hero characters). I'd hardly call 9 "very few times."

And of the few who were already military/Gundam pilots? Are you really going to argue that Kou, Heero, Trowa, Wufei, Athrun, Shinn, and Setsuna aren't angsty?

Only Amuro, Seabook, Banagher, and Kira that are forced (as in "you must pilot the Gundam, nobody else can!"). Everyone else actually came in contact with Gundam by themselves. They choose to join the good guy faction on their own, and can leave if they want to actually. Kamille and Judau stole the Gundam without anyone ordering them. Uso can just leave V Gundam to Marvet. Garrod is similar to Judau. And Flit is very eager and pilot the Gundam on his own initiative. Just because they are civilian teens, doesn't mean that they always be forced to pilot.

About angst on pilots you mentioned, yes, maybe they have emotional moments but they still doing their job. I think what Graham said is that he dislike how Banagher is whining, crying, and refuse to shoot enemies like Amuro, Kira, and...nobody else. Of all of them, only Shinn that can be characterized as angsty. The rest only have brief moment of doubt and angst (it's war afterall). But hey, they still doing their job on shooting stuff.

Want to ask, what was the Feddie suit that kicked ass in the battle at the end of episode 4. Looked like some sort of updated Gaplant.

The pilot is a cameo from the side-story manga Hoshizuki no Kakera. His name is Dies Robin (ディエス・ロビン) and he doesn't appear in the novel.

Edited by Jefferson

"Pointless battle scenes"! It's the battle scenes that make this OVA IMO, certainly not the story and dialogue.

Although I appreciate how people who are into the novels may be upset that the anime adaptation is not 100% faithful.!

It's more the idea that the novels have much clearer motivations for characters and the whining isn't all people do because there's more time available to flesh things out. Not saying I don't like the battles, but the opening fight in Dakar really only exists so they put it in the trailer. It was a part of the books but it served no purpose in the OVA.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this series any good? Just worried it's another redone Gundam story, and don't want to waste my time.

I kind of enjoyed Seed. Characters were a bit flat, but the story had it's epic moments.

But rapidedly lost interest in zero.

Yup, that promo vid looks awesome. I too think that's Kai that popped up and hope the Delta Plus gets more screen time - I'm loving this suit more than the Unicorn.

Omegablue, this series isn't perfect but it's a good series to watch and not just for the animation. I feel like the story is a little jagged and disconnected at times but I think it's a lot better than the recent non-UC timeline Gundam series.

Thank goodness, the Zeta Plus is not destroyed! :) I LOVE THAT SUIT!!! :wub:

Wait, where was the Zeta Plus in that promo? I'm sure I watched the promo at least 5 times, and still can't spot the Zeta Plus....?

I love the zeta plus, so I hope you're right!

Wait, where was the Zeta Plus in that promo? I'm sure I watched the promo at least 5 times, and still can't spot the Zeta Plus....?

I love the zeta plus, so I hope you're right!

Probably meant Delta Plus.

Omegablue, this series isn't perfect but it's a good series to watch and not just for the animation. I feel like the story is a little jagged and disconnected at times but I think it's a lot better than the recent non-UC timeline Gundam series.

Thanks, I'll give it a watch. :)

BTW, what's the reason to slowly release the episodes? It's not very Gundam like?

Thanks, I'll give it a watch. :)

BTW, what's the reason to slowly release the episodes? It's not very Gundam like?

Simply because Unicorn is OVA. I'm sure you know what OVA is and that they have high production value and took sweet time to make quality animation.

Just like Macross Zero, you'll understand.

Simply because Unicorn is OVA. I'm sure you know what OVA is and that they have high production value and took sweet time to make quality animation.

Just like Macross Zero, you'll understand.

Lol, I do. Didn't know it was a OVA, as I missunderstood it to be a full length series.

Okay, already queeing it on the downloads. :)