I just finished watching the first episode, and man, it totally makes up for the last few years of SEED and 00. In recent Gundams, even UC ones, they're really gotten away from the Newtype themes, as well as the fact that a mobile suit is powered by a tiny nuclear reactor. I really like how Unicorn managed to bring it all back. Most of all, I love how Unicorn feels like Gundam in a way that SEED and 00 never did.

The thing though, is that real-life fusion reactors wouldn't produce the hydrogen-bomb like explosions that they love to do in Gundam. Look at Macross. All the variable fighters have two fusion reactors, but we've never seen a single one produce that kinds of explosions that mobile suits always seem to produce.

The thing though, is that real-life fusion reactors wouldn't produce the hydrogen-bomb like explosions that they love to do in Gundam. Look at Macross. All the variable fighters have two fusion reactors, but we've never seen a single one produce that kinds of explosions that mobile suits always seem to produce.

That's not the point (although one could argue that the pseudo-scientific Minovsky-based reactors in Gundam operate differently than the overtechnology-based ones in Macross). The point is that they did in the original Gundam (Amuro wrecked the colony so bad when he destroyed one Zaku that the residents had to be evacuated to Luna II). Subsequent Gundams have downplayed that, and it was nice to be reminded that (regardless of actual science) when you blow up a mobile suit inside a colony, you're going to have serious problems.

I thought the reactor going critical was due to the interference that a beam weapon shot to the reactor causes. The reactor has been shot at before without beam weaponry, and it doesn't explode. In 8th MS team, Karen's Gundam was on its back and it couldn't shoot at the Dom without hitting the reactor (it was equipped with a beam rifle).

Also, other mobile suits have been shot at with beams, had their vernier fuel explode, but the reactor didn't. It appears that a slug or high explosive round hitting the reactor and causing damage, just causes the reactor to fizzle out. Shoot it with a beam, and it suffers a runaway, causing the reactor to explode.

"Going critical" is the most normal thing for a reactor to do. 99.9% of the nuclear reactors that are operating at this moment, are critical. (at least, I would sure hope so).

I think a big issue with almost any type of anime reactor, is that we're missing a critical element---how is POWER derived from that reactor? Nuclear reactors don't make electricity or plasma or anything else---they make heat. And just about every one I can think of converts that heat to something useful via steam. We've got to know what it does, before we can figure out why stopping or increasing some aspect of it would make it explode... (a reactor in meltdown doesn't explode---it's all the air/steam that does)

Ironically, a valk's turbine is by far the most logical/realistic use, as turbines are almost inherent to any nuclear installation. (assuming you actually want to DO something with the radiation, vs simply creating the radiation to study its effects like many university reactors etc do)

"Going critical" is the most normal thing for a reactor to do. 99.9% of the nuclear reactors that are operating at this moment, are critical. (at least, I would sure hope so).

I think a big issue with almost any type of anime reactor, is that we're missing a critical element---how is POWER derived from that reactor? Nuclear reactors don't make electricity or plasma or anything else---they make heat. And just about every one I can think of converts that heat to something useful via steam. We've got to know what it does, before we can figure out why stopping or increasing some aspect of it would make it explode... (a reactor in meltdown doesn't explode---it's all the air/steam that does)

Ironically, a valk's turbine is by far the most logical/realistic use, as turbines are almost inherent to any nuclear installation. (assuming you actually want to DO something with the radiation, vs simply creating the radiation to study its effects like many university reactors etc do)

Yah, you got me there David. Obviously, I mean "going critical" in a very, very bad way. AKA Boom. Is it possible that the power from the reactor is derived by using the intense heat of the reaction to drive a small turbine... Say using some sort of closed loop using a type of gas? I'm thinking along the lines of a nuclear rocket (but closed, and the gas, after spinning the turbine, loops back to the reactor), if that makes any sense.

I thought the reactor going critical was due to the interference that a beam weapon shot to the reactor causes. The reactor has been shot at before without beam weaponry, and it doesn't explode. In 8th MS team, Karen's Gundam was on its back and it couldn't shoot at the Dom without hitting the reactor (it was equipped with a beam rifle).

Also, other mobile suits have been shot at with beams, had their vernier fuel explode, but the reactor didn't. It appears that a slug or high explosive round hitting the reactor and causing damage, just causes the reactor to fizzle out. Shoot it with a beam, and it suffers a runaway, causing the reactor to explode.

Huh, i thought that some exploded and others didn't for the same reason the CFs sometimes die with one hit while the main character just get scratched.

Edited by akt_m

Oh that's easy just check out Mark Simmon's Gundam Unofficial article about MS generators! You might have even seen his name in the Gundam Unicorn credits.

http://www.ultimatemark.com/gundam/power.html

Yeah, I was thinking "very tiny turbine with very small supply lines in a primary loop". Of course, I think you'd need a couple million RPM or so to make the power needed, then the turbine itself becomes the most dangerous aspect. :)

Remember, these are pieces of military hardware. Usually, they're more dangerous than their civilian counterparts. Example: F-14 with TF30 engines. If you don't fly the engines right, you might wind up flying a fireball.

Ah, you're all over-thinking it. I actually don't mind speculating about how a Valkyrie's engines would work as much, but Gundam labeled its Anime Magicâ„¢ "Minovsky Particle" and has been running with that ever since. It's seriously like one step removed from saying "a wizard did it," and I've been pretty content not to think about it too hard. Nuclear-powered giant killer robots with laser-beam swords? Magic particles explain it all.

The problems i have with mecha anime which includes Macross and Gundam is how every mecha tends to be depicted as if they were walking bags of gunpowder. I liked some parts in Unicorn where the funnels were tearing the MS to bits slowly. But most of the time all it takes is a single beam or missile, or beam saber slice to make a mecha explode into bits.

Usually only the hero mecha has the benefit of surviving a hit without exploding, as someone else has mentioned.

The problems i have with mecha anime which includes Macross and Gundam is how every mecha tends to be depicted as if they were walking bags of gunpowder. I liked some parts in Unicorn where the funnels were tearing the MS to bits slowly. But most of the time all it takes is a single beam or missile, or beam saber slice to make a mecha explode into bits.

Usually only the hero mecha has the benefit of surviving a hit without exploding, as someone else has mentioned.

You've got to remember, that in later UC, armour didn't really matter much. Maneuverability was king. Beams usually penetrate anything in one shot, thus most MSes have tons of vernier fuel underneath the outer skin used to augment the AMBAC motion that MSes use to move about in space. I would imagine that it's rather... combustible. Plus there's probably all sorts of other things that react badly to being shot at on an MS.

You've got to remember, that in later UC, armour didn't really matter much. Maneuverability was king. Beams usually penetrate anything in one shot, thus most MSes have tons of vernier fuel underneath the outer skin used to augment the AMBAC motion that MSes use to move about in space. I would imagine that it's rather... combustible. Plus there's probably all sorts of other things that react badly to being shot at on an MS.

Shouldn't the vernier fuel or whatever's that's supposedly combustible other than ammunition be provided directly by the reactor? Not sure if that changes things.

And has any MS in any gundam series gone nuclear in space or is it only possible in an atmospheric environment?

Shouldn't the vernier fuel or whatever's that's supposedly combustible other than ammunition be provided directly by the reactor? Not sure if that changes things.

And has any MS in any gundam series gone nuclear in space or is it only possible in an atmospheric environment?

Pretty sure it has. I think the Jegans do at the beginning of Unicorn. Remember, a nuke in space is less dangerous (radiation is being ignored at the moment), because there's no atmosphere to produce the blast wave. Stay out of the fireball, and shield yourself from the radiation, and you can laugh it off. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm a little surprised that the GM exploding in the colony didn't actually blow the colony in two, or at least do more catastrophic damage to it.

I just finished watching the first episode, and man, it totally makes up for the last few years of SEED and 00. In recent Gundams, even UC ones, they're really gotten away from the Newtype themes, as well as the fact that a mobile suit is powered by a tiny nuclear reactor. I really like how Unicorn managed to bring it all back. Most of all, I love how Unicorn feels like Gundam in a way that SEED and 00 never did.

I totally agree. It's been so long since I've watched a good Gundam series. So much awesomeness packed into 1 episode! I love the character designs. It really brings back the memories of the original. I'm kind of disappointed that the ReZELs got treated as the 2nd cannon fodders after the Jegans. Wish they would have put up more of a fight or at least didn't get blown up. I guess going up against the Quinn Mantha wannabe with a NT pilot is tough. Lol. Why did Bang's dad ask who Bang was when he was looking at the video card thing? Did he not want the other guy to know he has a son?

Could Full Frontal (silly name even in Gundam universe) be Char's clone or his illegitimate son? Lol. Never read the novel but did they ever reveal who he is?

Will all the episodes be that long or is it just for the 1st one?

Watching this makes me want to get the MG Unicorn model.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the bluray yesturday, and this first episode is quite awesome. The full Jegan fight, with the commander putting up a true fight to the end, badass. Good enough to be Tomino Gundam, which I can't remember happening ever, not even 0083. Though some of IGLOO came close.

Edited by Keith

Just got the bluray yesturday

I got the Bluray this past Saturday.

I would get the blu-ray, except that there's no way in hell I can justify paying $36 for one episode. I think most of use wouldn't pay that much anymore for a Hollywood film that's twice as long; you gotta stop letting yourselves get gouged on anime.

I'll wait and see if they come out with a more reasonably priced blu-ray set with all six episodes once it's all over.

I would get the blu-ray, except that there's no way in hell I can justify paying $36 for one episode. I think most of use wouldn't pay that much anymore for a Hollywood film that's twice as long; you gotta stop letting yourselves get gouged on anime.

I'll wait and see if they come out with a more reasonably priced blu-ray set with all six episodes once it's all over.

You know, it's talk like that which is why we don't get nice things. This isn't $36 for 1 25 minute episode of stock tv animation. This is $36 for 1 hour long episode of high end modern new fresh off the freakin' boat OVA animation, and on the same day as its Japanese release.

For better or worse, this is how anime is released in Japan, expensive, slowly, and expensive. Hell, import shipping would easily bump the price up towards $50+. On average, movies, and 3-4 episode per disc TV releases push $70. Again, this is Japanese, not U.S. pricing.

For a release of this quality, it's worth it to me to get a day & date with the Japanese release + english subs. Maybe it'd be worth it for you to wait 5+ years to see a possibly cheaper release once the OVA has finished, but don't confuse this by comparing it with your average "Hollywood" release.

Same, I'm not gonna pay 40 dollars for a 60 minute bluray title, never. I did look around to see if I could find it, not a single video store is carrying it. Some world release >_>

Timed exclusive with Amazon, pay attention!

Saw the first episode and it was really good. Started with an interesting setup that seems familiar with other Gundam series, except 00. The quality of the artwork and visual is extremely well done. I particularly like the 360 degree cockpit display as Marida was spinning around and you can see the sun spinning past behind her. I just hope they continue with the good story telling since high-end graphic can go only so far.

I am curious at how Banegher seems to have loss his memory about his father. Probably we will know more in future episodes. Just hope he doesn't cry all the time like Kira Yamato.

Saw the first episode and it was really good. Started with an interesting setup that seems familiar with other Gundam series, except 00. The quality of the artwork and visual is extremely well done. I particularly like the 360 degree cockpit display as Marida was spinning around and you can see the sun spinning past behind her. I just hope they continue with the good story telling since high-end graphic can go only so far.

I am curious at how Banegher seems to have loss his memory about his father. Probably we will know more in future episodes. Just hope he doesn't cry all the time like Kira Yamato.

This is U.C. Gundam, if he cry's, someone will beat the crap out of him. No, seriously.

For me it's not so much the price although for NA that's recockulous but the size. I'm tired of buying individual volumes and having them take up all my shelf space. I learned my lesson a long time ago and I've replaced almost all my old sets with the new thin/slim/think packs, complete collections or anime legends.

I don't know why the Japanese allow themselves to get gouged like they do on media. Even back when a dollar was 150 yen I wouldn't have paid their prices and I didn't. Even now that Anime flounders in NA they don't really seem to undertstand they don't have a successful business model on their hands. Given it's a Blu-ray release not DVD but I don't/won't pay even $25 for LA movies I really like.

You know, it's talk like that which is why we don't get nice things. This isn't $36 for 1 25 minute episode of stock tv animation. This is $36 for 1 hour long episode of high end modern new fresh off the freakin' boat OVA animation, and on the same day as its Japanese release.

For better or worse, this is how anime is released in Japan, expensive, slowly, and expensive. Hell, import shipping would easily bump the price up towards $50+. On average, movies, and 3-4 episode per disc TV releases push $70. Again, this is Japanese, not U.S. pricing.

For a release of this quality, it's worth it to me to get a day & date with the Japanese release + english subs. Maybe it'd be worth it for you to wait 5+ years to see a possibly cheaper release once the OVA has finished, but don't confuse this by comparing it with your average "Hollywood" release.

See, I knew as soon as I said it that someone was going to say that it's anime, not average Hollywood, and so it's not fair to compare them. You're damn right. Because something like Star Trek (or even some animated film like Toy Story) only cost crap tons more to make and market, runs twice as long, and costs half as much, it isn't a fair comparison. An hour-long anime, however well-animated, should cost even less.

You guys need to stop saying "It's anime, it's Japan, it's just how it is." Your willingness to bend over and take it is part of the reason why it's still expensive even though Best Buy's got a freaking anime section now. Be firm, wait for Bandai USA to license it, and get the whole OVA for your money.

See, I knew as soon as I said it that someone was going to say that it's anime, not average Hollywood, and so it's not fair to compare them. You're damn right. Because something like Star Trek (or even some animated film like Toy Story) only cost crap tons more to make and market, runs twice as long, and costs half as much, it isn't a fair comparison. An hour-long anime, however well-animated, should cost even less.

You guys need to stop saying "It's anime, it's Japan, it's just how it is." Your willingness to bend over and take it is part of the reason why it's still expensive even though Best Buy's got a freaking anime section now. Be firm, wait for Bandai USA to license it, and get the whole OVA for your money.

There is nothing special about anime sales. It's all about market size and cost of production. Movies like Star Trek already turn a profit on the box office and have a much lager audience to spread the costs over. An OVA like Unicorn has to recap it's money purely through DVD/merchandise sales to a small audience. The only anime that sells in the same manner like Hollywood movies are Studio Ghibli productions who have the same worldwide audiences and cinematice releases.

The anime you find in the Best Buy is no longer current material and only has to recoup the costs of the licensee. Unicorn is new and a worldwide release by Bandai, so there won't be a license. The Blu-Ray already has english dubs and subs (even the Japanese version).

As region encoding is uncommon with BR there is a risk of cheaper American versions to be imported back to Japan, hence the similar price. In the end it's a matter of choice, you pay the premium to see it now, or you wait till there is a discounted version (excluding the illegal option of a pirated BR rip).

I'm sorry, did you say something? I was busy watching the awesomeness that is Unicorn!!

I'm sorry, did you say something? I was busy watching the awesomeness that is Unicorn!!

Sounds like fun. I think I'll watch the Divx copy of it that's on my PlayStation 3 until Bandai comes out with a reasonably priced blu-ray that has all six episodes.

Sounds like fun. I think I'll watch the Divx copy of it that's on my PlayStation 3 until Bandai comes out with a reasonably priced blu-ray that has all six episodes.

That'll never happen. Even after nearly 20 years, the 6-episode OAV series Aim for the Top! Gunbuster as a Region 2 DVD box set costed about $150. The 2-disc Japanese release of Gundam 0080 still costs $130 total.

I suppose you could wait for a release by a US distributor. But it might not ever happen too.

Edited by Vifam7