Anyone... Reading some information, very limited right now, on the new Gundam Unicorn 0096. So far it is a novel base anime with the anime series in the works or in the process of being made.

Bought the latest Hobby Japan magazine and it has some great stuff on this new Gundam series. Remind me of the Gundam Char's Counterattack, which I was told the new 0096 is base on the story of war after the Char's Counterattack?

Anyone has any information, please share with the rest of us.

Cheers

This should probably just go in the Gundam Show thread... they've released like 8? novels so far, and two Master Grade kits for Unicorn... it is set in the Universal Century, so it's in UC 0096... CCA is set in UC0093. I'd love to see Unicorn as an anime of some sort.

I don't think it's confirmed but there's a rumor going around that Unicorn (or other series) will be animated for 30th anniversary special or something.

Last thing I heard that would be a remake of Gundam 0083.

A remake of 0083 doesn't make any sense... that series in pretty much perfect.

Sure, if by perfect you mean fantastic mecha having really flashy battles. Story-wise, it was a mess.

That said, I don't want a remake of it either... I'd rather just forget about it, and hope for a Unicorn or Crossbone Gundam anime.

That said, I don't want a remake of it either... I'd rather just forget about it, and hope for a Unicorn or Crossbone Gundam anime.

I'm doubtful about a Unicorn anime. It's been pretty successful as is and they've already been able to sell a lot of kits with it, I'm sure Bandai would rather make a new series with new designs to turn into kits.

Sure, if by perfect you mean fantastic mecha having really flashy battles. Story-wise, it was a mess.

Yes, Unicorn animation would make more sense.

I'm doubtful about a Unicorn anime. It's been pretty successful as is and they've already been able to sell a lot of kits with it, I'm sure Bandai would rather make a new series with new designs to turn into kits.

Well, a totally new series is still better than a remake of 0083.

Side note, does anyone know if there are any plans to translate Unicorn and bring it out for Western fans?

Side note, does anyone know if there are any plans to translate Unicorn and bring it out for Western fans?

Not at the moment. I've hear any talk of the next Gundam series will come after Gundam 00 ends in March.

Last thing I heard that would be a remake of Gundam 0083.

Hang on, a remake of 0083??? I didn't read that properly the first time. Why remake that? I enjoy the original as is, no need to stuff around with it. Ok then, I take back my original statement, some Gundam series are not always welcome. They should remake the first series.

Taksraven

The 0083 show was a mess, it had great mecha designs and battles, but the actual plot, story and characters were just plain rubbish/boring imo. The fact that it had a change of directors, because the first one died probably had a big impact on where the story was heading. I don't see the point in remaking this or any of the other UC shows. If they were to make a new UC series it would be in the form of a ova like Igloo. I don't think they would go for a whole new UC tv series, I believe Bandai would just keep churning out the alternate universe crap for TV.

The 0083 show was a mess, it had great mecha designs and battles, but the actual plot, story and characters were just plain rubbish/boring imo. The fact that it had a change of directors, because the first one died probably had a big impact on where the story was heading. I don't see the point in remaking this or any of the other UC shows. If they were to make a new UC series it would be in the form of a ova like Igloo. I don't think they would go for a whole new UC tv series, I believe Bandai would just keep churning out the alternate universe crap for TV.

Erm, I think you're mixing 0083 up with the 08th MS Team. The latter was the one with the director who died.

Edited by Gubaba

Hang on, a remake of 0083??? I didn't read that properly the first time. Why remake that? I enjoy the original as is, no need to stuff around with it. Ok then, I take back my original statement, some Gundam series are not always welcome. They should remake the first series.

Taksraven

I agree that the original series of gundam should be remade with more modern art... I still have yet to watch the entire 0079 series because the animation is so bad and hard to take in, even for its own time the animation was considered sloppy and low budget because gundam wasn't a big success when it first aired in japan. In the meantime for ppl who don't feel like trudging though all 45 episodes of 0079, the movie trilogy is a good alternative with slightly upgraded animation and added scenes its a good substitute.

I just recently finished watching 0079, and in reality, I didn't think the animation was all that bad... sure there was alot of still stuff with minimal 'animation' but overall there were only a few things that stood out as 'bad'... a couple of really poorly drawn parts, and only one real coloring error I noticed. I just finished watching Dancouva Nova from a couple years ago, and honestly, for a 12 episode series it was LOADED with stock footage... for a 49 episode show I noticed much less stock footage and reused sequences overall in MSG. Haven't watched the movies yet tho.

I agree that the original series of gundam should be remade with more modern art... I still have yet to watch the entire 0079 series because the animation is so bad and hard to take in, even for its own time the animation was considered sloppy and low budget because gundam wasn't a big success when it first aired in japan. In the meantime for ppl who don't feel like trudging though all 45 episodes of 0079, the movie trilogy is a good alternative with slightly upgraded animation and added scenes its a good substitute.

There IS a reamke...it's called Gundam the Origin, and it's great!

Remaking it as an anime, though...that's a dangerous idea and, I think, not a very good one. Watch Gundam Evolve 15...sure, it looks good, but do you really want a whole series like that?

Back on topic, I'd love to read Unicorn, but even my Japanese friends say the writing style is...difficult.

Erm, I think you're mixing 0083 up with the 08th MS Team. The latter was the one with the director who died.

Mitsuko Kase might not have died, but she was still replaced by Takashi Imanishi after 7 episodes. Kung flu's comments still stand, IMHO.

The ending was a bit of a shambolic mess (many real wars in history have ended that way though), but overall I quite enjoyed it.

Taksraven

Mitsuko Kase might not have died, but she was still replaced by Takashi Imanishi after 7 episodes. Kung flu's comments still stand, IMHO.

oops, my mistake :lol: , but 0083 still changed directors half way through.

Actually...I hadn't known that, so I guess we BOTH learned something today... :wacko:

Isn't this spring (April to be precise) the big 3, 0 for Gundam? Three decades of destruction... with that in mind I'm sure there is going to be a new series announcement right around the time 00 comes to an end. Unicorn seems like a possible candidate, though I'm hoping it's something entirely original.

Funny: with this 'love triangle' sh!t between Sho, Nina and Gato, I'd have thought it was a lady who actually finished this show :lol:

Yeah, bring on some Sentinel or the best remake ever of First (based on the Origin preferably, but I don't care as long as it owns...)

Kind of sad how fan's most wished for titles are just remakes or animated versions of stories that have already been told.

The original MSG doesn't need to be remade, it's perfectly fine as is. And honestly the same goes for stuff like Unicorn or Sentinel... it's been done and the designs are old hat by now. Why not hold out hope for a new UC series that throws off the conventions of the other sequels and does something new?

Oh wait, that would be Igloo.

I hope Unicorn would get a english translation, but that is highly unlikely, considering the fanbase in the west or english speaking countries are mostly into alternate universe shows, I don't see UC making much of an impact on the market. At best if Unicorn gets animated it would be a ova for the old fanbase only and not for new fans.

Kind of sad how fan's most wished for titles are just remakes or animated versions of stories that have already been told.

The original MSG doesn't need to be remade, it's perfectly fine as is.

I agree 100%

And honestly the same goes for stuff like Unicorn or Sentinel... it's been done and the designs are old hat by now.

And yet, the Zeta movies probably moved a crap load more Zeta kits for designs 20 years old. What's more, Unicorn, Sentinel, and Crossbone are not easily had in English, so it stands to reason that Western fans might want animes.

Why not hold out hope for a new UC series that throws off the conventions of the other sequels and does something new?

Because aside from novels, manga, or little OVAs, we don't get new UC series. The last six TV series were all AU. Even when we do get OVAs, they're usually beating the dead horse that is the One Year War.

Oh wait, that would be Igloo.

Which would be during the One Year War.