Any cheaper alternative to Tamiya Side Cutter?

wwkkim

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to build a model kit,

not in a "let's make it all perfect" but more of "let's enjoy" way.

So, I don't plan to use any sandpaper which makes the process extremely boring.

However, I do want to cut the parts off the runner neatly and would like to hear you guys suggestion about cheaper way to do so instead of using Tamiya SHarp Pointed Side Cutter which costs around $30.

Thank you B))

http://brianscache.com/builds/tools.html

Scroll down a bit to Sprue and Wire Cutters. I found both at my local Walmart. The Fiskars (orange handle) cut flush on one side and are ideal (IMO) for cutting parts from a sprue. The PM (black handle) are regular diagonal/wire cutters. I don't remember the exact price but I don't believe I spent more than $10 each.

http://brianscache.com/builds/tools.html

Scroll down a bit to Sprue and Wire Cutters. I found both at my local Walmart. The Fiskars (orange handle) cut flush on one side and are ideal (IMO) for cutting parts from a sprue. The PM (black handle) are regular diagonal/wire cutters. I don't remember the exact price but I don't believe I spent more than $10 each.

Do these work like dream?

I once had tamiya sharp pointed side cutter (which I don't have anymore) and it was cutting like a dream. When cutting ABS parts, I barely felt anything. When cutting PS, it was cutting it very neatly.

I eaither use the Cheap side cutters or my cheap but stay sharp for ever curved scissors that I bought at the Modle shop I used to work at they cost me £4 IIRC they cut etchings, tin and plastic with ease

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to build a model kit,

not in a "let's make it all perfect" but more of "let's enjoy" way.

So, I don't plan to use any sandpaper which makes the process extremely boring.

However, I do want to cut the parts off the runner neatly and would like to hear you guys suggestion about cheaper way to do so instead of using Tamiya SHarp Pointed Side Cutter which costs around $30.

Thank you B))

Look for bead wire cutters. They usually run under $10 @ craft stores.

Do these work like dream?

they work very well for my needs. i use the Fiskars flush cutters for soft metal (miniatures) and sometimes plastics. they cannot cut hard metals though, that's where the diagonal cutters come into play. i ruined my first pair of flush cutters trying to cut a piece of piano wire.

I picked up a nice pair of flush cutters from Radio Shack a while ago. They cut very well. About half the time I have to run an exacto blade along the cut spot, but I also usually don't try to get the cutters right up against the part just to make sure they don't bite out too much.

Yeah, dedicated Tamiya or other hobby suppliers accessories are expensive and many times no difference than items found in a diy shop!

Just make sure the cutting plier to get cuts straight and not in a curve and flush with the surface.

That is the type I use. 8 bucks at a craft store in the bead/wire section.

Yup. I've owned 4 IIRC. Managed to break 2 @ the cutter. Tryin to cut very thick sprue IIRC. At $8 and 10+ years of service I can let one break.