To All Minmay Fans

Macette

Hmm, not Minmay, but I lobbied for Myria for a while. I don't think my wife's on board.

Not Millia - that'd be a harder sell.

My friend did manage to land Maximillian for his 3rd kid, though.

*edit: too many thoughs

Edited by Kelsain

The hardest part is getting them to dress up as Minmay...

Well, I can't complain since my Girlfriend dresses like Sheryl - though she'd never show herself in public like that... :)

But actually - on the subject of clothes... it really isn't THAT hard to get girls to dress up like Maross girls - if you consider what Minmey, Misa, Rank and Sheryl USUALLY wear when they're not working. At work, they always wear some very fancy far fetched stuff - military uniforms, BDSM lingerie, lolicon miniskirts, "Opera Gowns" or cheesy 80s performance dresses.

However - when in casual wear - they are quite elegant and not at all dated (particilarly Misa).

Remember how she dressed to go see that movie with Hikaru? Hig tight boots with jeans inside the boots, nice long coat with nice long scarf and matching handbag. That's still in fashion these days - my girlfriend basically wears the same thing.

As for Minmey - on many occassions she's worn knee length conservative fitting skirts which were well cut and feminine with a matching shirt and sweater combo that was also feminine and elegent. Again - girls wear stuff like this these days too.

Ranka and Sheryl are even easier to spot in terms of their daily fashion. Well - maybe not so much Raka who sometimes would wear her student uniform around town, but that semi-bagy dress she wore? With the scarf? And the wacky boots? That's doable these days. You need short green hair to match the colors - but it's doable.

Sheryl was a bit more provocatively dressed and you need to have the right figure otherwise you'd end up looking like a hoochy moma or something - but again - not that far fetched.

The real fashion nightmares in Macross have always been the MEN.

Hikaru wore EITHER a military uniform OR a boring double breasted suite. PULEEEESSE! Was he trying to look "Dashing?" I'm sure the girls all went crazy for him...not.

Roy was at least decent enough to pretty much always dress like a soldier - even in Macross Zero with his wife-beater shirt. Military fatigues and all - fine - it suited him well, he looked good in it and that's a OK.

Max - and here I will praise him - at least had the decency to put on an INTERESTING suit and tie, unlike Hikaru.

But again - in general - the guys had NO fashion sense.

Well -except Basara who at least wore jeans - although - fittingly- they were tight and looked stupid with his green wife beater - I say fittingly because Bassara's looks always annoy the heck out of me. Except in the movies, where he dresses a bit better. But then again - in many ways, Macross 7 was a fashion nightmare!

Pete

Minmei is actually the correct hanyu pinyin (phoenetics ?) for the name. Min approximately = graceful and Mei = pretty/beautiful so yes, it actually works as a girls name! I've never actually met anyone with that name though. Ling (or Lin, both are acceptable for the same character as a surname) is also a pretty common surname, so you could actually have real Lin Minmeis walking around!

I too tried to push for the name Miriya but then it ended up being a boy and by that point my baby's momma had already decided that she would not let me choose the first name, only the middle name and that it could not be too Hippie, Buddhist, or Sci-fi.

Edited by miriya

There's a couple of Robotechy-turned-Macross fans who named their daughter

. All I can tell from the YouTube username is that Miriya's dad's named Joe(l?) (L?)Anza.

Miriya's a real Minmay. :lol:

I'm gonna name my first son, in Mitchell tradition (Middle name starts with a B one generation, then the next has B in the middle of the middle name, and repeat), Bruno Global Mitchell. :p My middle name's Brend(o or a, I dunno...)n, and dad's is Delbert, and grandad's is Bentenson, and great-grandad's was Heber, etc.

I'm thinking if I have a daughter, Misa or Khim or something. :p

Random though popped into my head last night.

How many of us tried to name our daughters Minmay, but then were abruptly stopped by our baby's momma?

My fathers name is Roy.

Taksraven

Minmei is actually the correct hanyu pinyin (phoenetics ?) for the name. Min approximately = graceful and Mei = pretty/beautiful so yes, it actually works as a girls name! I've never actually met anyone with that name though. Ling (or Lin, both are acceptable for the same character as a surname) is also a pretty common surname, so you could actually have real Lin Minmeis walking around!

If only life were so kind to us...

Pete

Just curious - to those people whose wives have shot down Misa, Minmei etc etc as names...

WHAT prey tell, do they suggest? Jane? Alice? Barbara? ...Barak? ;)

What names to women want for their children - since reading this thread it seems that all the ladies don't want Minmei, Misa et al?

pete

What names to women want for their children - since reading this thread it seems that all the ladies don't want Minmei, Misa et al?

Something less dorky than we want. ^_^

For many of us with less anime obsessed wives (she likes SOME - particularly Miyazaki), despite how nice the name may sound, it is tainted with geekery. And despite how much they love us and accept our geeky nature, they don't necessarily want to burden the child with it.

The trick I guess is to therefore suggest something WORSE than an anime name - and slowly manipulate them into a fall back position, where they agree that the anime anime name is middle ground... Like so:

WIFE: So, what shall we name our baby? I was thinking Laverne, after my Grandmother...

OTAKU HUSBAND: I totally insist on GIGLI!

WIFE: What!? Like that stupid Ben Affleck movie?! Are you braindead!?

OTAKU HUSBAND: Hey - this is a choice we need to make together right? So - can't I have any input?

WIFE: Of course you can - but we're not naming her GIGLI!! Now Laverne...My Grandmother was such a wonderful sweet old woman - so it'll be a lucky name...

OTAK HUSBAND: I categorically don't agree. What else do you have in mind? Throw some names out there...

WIFE: Oh fine - then...hmm... Betty, Mindy, Cindy, Shawna, Meghan, Karen...

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well, I also like names that start with B and M and S and K... for instance - Britai, Misa, Cyberlord, Sheryl, Minmei, Kremzeek...

WIFE: CYBERLORD!? WHAT THE F-BEEEP-K ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!? I'M NOT NAMING HER CYBERLORD!

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well look, I gave you a whole list - you don't like any of the names?

WIFE: I'M NOT NAMING HER CYBLORD!

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well how about my other suggestions? None of them?

WIFE: Oh - I guess Sheryl is ok...

OTAKU HUSBAND: Fine - then it's either Sheryl or CYBERLORD.

WIFE: You have got to be f-beeep-king kidding me!

OTAKU HUSBAND: Ok - I'll compromise - CYBERLORD 693....

WIFE: WHAT?!

OTAKU HUSBAND: How about Cyberia - you know - like Siberia - but different...

WIFE: No - look - stop! Just stop! Sheryl's fine! We'll call her Sheryl! Ok?

OTAKU HUSBAND: I dunno - Cyberlord has that special something...

WIFE: EITHER WE CALL HER SHERYL OR YOU HAVE NO SAY IN IT AND SHE STAYS LAVERNE!!

OTAKU HUSBAND: OK sweet heart. Calm down. I love you. I'll do what you want. We'll call her Sheryl if it make syou happy.

kiss.

The End

Pete

The trick I guess is to therefore suggest something WORSE than an anime name - and slowly manipulate them into a fall back position, where they agree that the anime anime name is middle ground... Like so:

WIFE: So, what shall we name our baby? I was thinking Laverne, after my Grandmother...

OTAKU HUSBAND: Hey - this is a choice we need to make together right? So - can't I have any input?

WIFE: Of course you can - but we're not naming her GIGLI!! Now Laverne...My Grandmother was such a wonderful sweet old woman - so it'll be a lucky name...

OTAK HUSBAND: I categorically don't agree. What else do you have in mind? Throw some names out there...

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well, I also like names that start with B and M and S and K... for instance - Britai, Misa, Cyberlord, Sheryl, Minmei, Kremzeek...

WIFE: CYBERLORD!? WHAT THE F-BEEEP-K ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!? I'M NOT NAMING HER CYBERLORD!

OTAKU HUSBAND: Well look, I gave you a whole list - you don't like any of the names?

WIFE: EITHER WE CALL HER SHERYL OR YOU HAVE NO SAY IN IT AND SHE STAYS LAVERNE!!

OTAKU HUSBAND: OK sweet heart. Calm down. I love you. I'll do what you want. We'll call her Sheryl if it make syou happy.

kiss.

The End

Pete

Hot lols, I'm having a heart attack!

kiss.

The End

Pete

Reminds me of when both my parents and grandparents were fighting over how to name me. They eventually settled for Callie (after my late great-grandmother) Nicole (what my parents wanted to name me).

kiss.

The End

Pete

HAHAHAHAHA omg i almost LOLed at work, man that was good.

Alternatively, do what my dad did and pen the name randomly without discussing it with the wife. Hell, it helps to do this:

1: Argue with wife about name you don't want, while saying you do.

2: When she doesn't buckle keep arguing. However, don't argue her into submission

3: When she's given birth and the fine Doctor/midwife hands you the naming stuff, write the name you wanted all along and tell your wife that you compromised with a random name.

It's not exact to what my dad did, because he DID put a random name.

Mom: Bo Wesley Mitchell!

Dad: No, Mosait Barley Mitchell! (I have absolutely NO idea what he was smoking, only that I want more than he had.)

--on my DOB--

Midwife: Kelly (dad), write his name here:

Dad: Kristoffer Brend(A or O... I dunno which)n Mitchell

Aunt sees it: WTF?

the wife and I have talked about adopting a girl from China, I've floated the minmei balloon but she shot it down. :(

Tell her that you want to adopt an alien girl (Meltran) and named her Miriya, I bet she will shot you instead of the ballon :lol:

Thanks everyone for the kind words and lols. There's nothing more pleasing than to think that someone smiled because of something I wrote - so it really is nice of you guys to write your reactions like that. Very big forum group hug! :)

As for me, I'm probably not going to have kids. My girlfriend already has a daughter and numerous other factors seem to indicate that the best I can do is have a dog... But - who knows...maybe a kid will pop out of the woodwork eventually when I least expect it.

Although - I don't think I'll necessarily want to name them after a Macross character. Like I wrote - I'd rather re-name my girlfriend(s) than name kids. Kids are bald. They don't sing and they poop all the time. I just would hate it:

"Minmey's crying! Minmey just shat her dipers! Minmey just spewed her baby food on the wall, Minmey barfed! Minmey burped! Minmey farted!"

It would SO TOTALLY RUIN every good thing you associate with the name... Don't do it guys! :)

Pete

Thanks everyone for the kind words and lols. There's nothing more pleasing than to think that someone smiled because of something I wrote - so it really is nice of you guys to write your reactions like that. Very big forum group hug! :)

As for me, I'm probably not going to have kids. My girlfriend already has a daughter and numerous other factors seem to indicate that the best I can do is have a dog... But - who knows...maybe a kid will pop out of the woodwork eventually when I least expect it.

Although - I don't think I'll necessarily want to name them after a Macross character. Like I wrote - I'd rather re-name my girlfriend(s) than name kids. Kids are bald. They don't sing and they poop all the time. I just would hate it:

"Minmey's crying! Minmey just shat her dipers! Minmey just spewed her baby food on the wall, Minmey barfed! Minmey burped! Minmey farted!"

It would SO TOTALLY RUIN every good thing you associate with the name... Don't do it guys! :)

Pete

Dammit, Pete. If I have a retarded kid, I'm naming it Hayao! Thanks for the associationism! <_<:p

So, how about legally changing your name to Alto Saotome, so you get all the ladies? I mean, it worked for Alto Saotome!