Yamato 1/60 v.2 Hayao Kakizaki

Priss!

I thought that the fact that the Virgin Road Valkyrie had a -1A head was an animation error?

How would a two-seat -1A work anyway considering there's only one 'head camera'?

I think Yamato really needs to start including extra heads with their fighters. How cool would it be to have the Virgin Road two-seater including both a -1D head and a TV -1A head? That way it's accurate BOTH ways.

Vostok 7

Lol. They can make a jet that can transform into a robot but they can't split the feed from one camera to two monitors?

The episode actually shows both 1A and 1J heads. (The 1J head is mostly just seen from behind, but is definately a 1J head and not a 1D.) The real tell is that the chest plate is always the standard one, never the 1D version. Plus, it wouldn't have made much sense to paint up a whole VF-1D, which most likely would have been assigned to other pilots or actively used for training new recruits, just for that wedding ceremony. And even if they were going to paint up a 1D just for that ceremony, why make it look just like Max's 1J instead of giving it some special wedding scheme, like all white but with red trim on one side and blue on the other.... I always thought they just stripped some avionics and plunked a temporary second seat into his VF-1J. (Notice a second seat added in such a manner would preclude transformation, and Max never changes modes in that episode, unlike just about every other time he dogfights.) Or maybe they just repainted the cockpit from a 1D and swapped it onto his 1J.

Edited by Californium

It's actually here in Hong Kong; I just received a call from the shop.

Too bad I am late for home that the shop has already closed!!!!

Will get it tomorrow...

woohoo! thanks for the confirmation... i was nervous it would be delayed too... ^_^

I thought that the fact that the Virgin Road Valkyrie had a -1A head was an animation error?

How would a two-seat -1A work anyway considering there's only one 'head camera'?

If you REALLY want to split hairs here, ANY head unit could support a two-seater configuration. I never understood the idea that each pilot had to have a separate and dedicated sensor suit in the head when one set of sensors could have multiple input/outputs...sort of like networking two clients (each pilot) off of the same server (the head unit sensors). Look at the VE-1 and VT-1 as prime examples. The VE-1's head unit is little more than an oversized single-lens camcorder by all appearances; and the VT-1's head unit looks more like a very small ELINT dish than a head unit. Neither of these birds have dual optic/sensor systems, but feed all this data to both the pilot and copilot/intel officer.

At the risk of angering the mass of 1D lovers around here, I've always thought that the VF-1D was a tad "overdesigned" where the head unit is concerned. The dual sensor suites in the head are redundant and really not needed...at least in its current configuration. If you MUST have such a setup, a few realistic ways (and I use "realistic" loosely where giant transforming robots are concerned) is to either give a two-seater Valkyrie two heads (this would look absolutely ridiculous) or to have the VF-1D head unit's upper half rotate independently of the bottom half. While halfway practical in keeping with the dual independent sensor idea, this would look really strange in execution.

Edited by Cyclone Trooper

It's actually here in Hong Kong; I just received a call from the shop.

Too bad I am late for home that the shop has already closed!!!!

Will get it tomorrow...

Is the DYRL 1A Kaki also released at HK as well?

Look like its quite true that DYRL Kaki will only be out next June, along with 1J CF.

I preorder all 3 too but are glad that TV Kaki will be out first!

Edited by Javabean

The episode actually shows both 1A and 1J heads. (The 1J head is mostly just seen from behind, but is definately a 1J head and not a 1D.) The real tell is that the chest plate is always the standard one, never the 1D version. Plus, it wouldn't have made much sense to paint up a whole VF-1D, which most likely would have been assigned to other pilots or actively used for training new recruits, just for that wedding ceremony. And even if they were going to paint up a 1D just for that ceremony, why make it look just like Max's 1J instead of giving it some special wedding scheme, like all white but with red trim on one side and blue on the other.... I always thought they just stripped some avionics and plunked a temporary second seat into his VF-1J. (Notice a second seat added in such a manner would preclude transformation, and Max never changes modes in that episode, unlike just about every other time he dogfights.) Or maybe they just repainted the cockpit from a 1D and swapped it onto his 1J.

how does gutting out all the potentially important stuff behind the pilots seat on a plane and rendering it incapable of being used on combat missions make less sense than taking a plane and painting it? Considering they were willing to devote a dozen or so CF's for the ceremony I'd think they would be willing to take one more plane out of rotation long enough to paint it, fly it during the wedding then restore it's old paint job. And if for some reason there was an emergency situation that required the need for that particular plain to be deployed in combat they could easily re arm it and send it out still wearing the wedding scheme, it's not like paint will diminish the planes combat capability.

Now taking a 1J and gutting the cockpit to make room for a second seat makes no sense. It would probably take just as long if not longer to completely revamp the cockpit to accept a second seat and still work than it would to paint a plane, but unlike paint, the modification to the plane means it can't be used in combat until you fix it which could take days (and the chances max's 1J would be needed in an emergency is much greater than a random 1D).

As for sticking a 1D cockpit onto his 1J, do we even know for sure that you can do that? The cockpit section may be detachable but it may not be compatible between J and D models considering how there are big differences between the main body of each plane. And they'd still not be able to transform the plane until you swap the nose sections back out again so once again it's not usable for combat missions, and where did they get the extra 1D nose if they're too strapped for planes to spare a whole 1D?

Edited by anime52k8

how does gutting out all the potentially important stuff behind the pilots seat on a plane and rendering it incapable of being used on combat missions make less sense than taking a plane and painting it? Considering they were willing to devote a dozen or so CF's for the ceremony I'd think they would be willing to take one more plane out of rotation long enough to paint it, fly it during the wedding then restore it's old paint job. And if for some reason there was an emergency situation that required the need for that particular plain to be deployed in combat they could easily re arm it and send it out still wearing the wedding scheme, it's not like paint will diminish the planes combat capability.

Now taking a 1J and gutting the cockpit to make room for a second seat makes no sense. It would probably take just as long if not longer to completely revamp the cockpit to accept a second seat and still work than it would to paint a plane, but unlike paint, the modification to the plane means it can't be used in combat until you fix it which could take days (and the chances max's 1J would be needed in an emergency is much greater than a random 1D).

The whole idea that they would remove some avionics and stick a second seat in the VF-1J, and it is just that--only an idea, is predicated on the assumption that the VF-1 series would be designed for just that ability. It wouldn't be the first fighter designed with modular avionics packages and the ability to quickly accept a second seat. And it makes sense that modularity would be a key feature of something like the VF-1, where the whole thing is made up of so many major and minor parts joined by transformation mechanisms and moving frames. All of this is just logical supposition, but admittedly unlikely to be what the writers had in mind; if they even gave it that much though at the time, which they probably didn't.

Remember also, directly after the aerial wedding ceremony maintenance crews likely would have set about returning the 1D or 1J or whatever it was to normal. But hours later the same plane was available for two seats. If it was just a matter of stripping some easily-removable gear and locking in another seat, that's something that could have been done (again) on Max's request while the pilots already on station were scrambling. Of course, maybe the paint on the 1D was still too fresh to allow them to strip it/repaint it right away, so it was left sitting there and that's how it was available. But that wouldn't explain why the cockpit often looked as small as it did in the animation, why the front and back torso plates on that fighter were the standard versions and not the VF-1D, and why they didn't transform in combat. If you wanted to find an explanation other than animation error, which admittedly is the most likely explanation, a swappable second seat fits what is seen in the episode.

As for sticking a 1D cockpit onto his 1J, do we even know for sure that you can do that? The cockpit section may be detachable but it may not be compatible between J and D models considering how there are big differences between the main body of each plane. And they'd still not be able to transform the plane until you swap the nose sections back out again so once again it's not usable for combat missions, and where did they get the extra 1D nose if they're too strapped for planes to spare a whole 1D?

Since the Macross had to function as a closed system and still maintain fighting capability, it makes sense that they would salvage as much of wrecked fighters as possible. That would mean lots of left over Valk arms, Valk legs, Valk cockpits and other parts, all being cycled through repair/restoration and waiting to be plugged in in place of more more recently damaged parts. Given how quickly they continued to lose entire squadrons and the fact that they were able to maintain a fighting force, I'd say it's a given that the VF-1 is decently modular, and that wrecked and damaged fighters constantly contributed to the materials they used.

Edited by Californium

Hey!!!

I spy a danger triangle tampo'd on under kakis canopy in that pic of of the Vermillion Squad just posted. There were complaints about Max's not getting one and that area looking barron.

I was going to pass it off as that design just being deliberately bare but now Kaki has it... What's up with that?

Rare First run Max with non danger tampo's -get!! I shall start the bidding at $700 :p

i LIKE the TV kaki 1A MORE than the dyrl kaki 1A.

am i the only one feeling this way? :D

I think most will agree with you on this. I'm getting both, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DYRL version turns out to be one of the least sold.